Laguna Seca

G-man
Edited Date/Time 8/11/2019 10:40pm

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/laguna-seca-more-than-just-the-cor…

JD Beach has been working overtime this year doing some TT dirt track events along with his regular motoamerica Superbike ride that he is a rookie at.

Well it looks like he's really going to go for it and do the double! He's going to race both world superbike and motoamerica on the same weekend should be great to see!

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/world-superbikemotoamerica-more-on…
|
BMSOBx2
7/6/2019 4:35pm
World superbike has always put on a great show at Laguna. Been going there for the races since before they changed the track for the wussies in MotoGP. Saw Rossi put it Stoner and Nikki win there, great times.
G-man
7/7/2019 6:52pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
World superbike has always put on a great show at Laguna. Been going there for the races since before they changed the track for the wussies...
World superbike has always put on a great show at Laguna. Been going there for the races since before they changed the track for the wussies in MotoGP. Saw Rossi put it Stoner and Nikki win there, great times.
Yea looking forward to it. I started the year out wanting Bautisa as I was tired of the Johnny Rea Show and the Ducati rider showed his muscle early in the first 1/3 of the season by DOMINATING!

Now I have switched gears and find myself pulling for Rea! Woohoo

But damn hope JD does decent doing the double.
Between practice, qualifying and racing two series with different parts and tires should be a TALL ORDER.
G-man
7/9/2019 11:26am
I know some of you guys have bashed the MotoAmerica series but this season has pretty good, not sure if you have been watching it but the Superbike class has been very competitive with four to five Riders able to win. Smile

Then you have Josh Hayes back in the 600 class with his wife Melissa sponsoring him! Cool

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/its-tense-at-the-top-previewing-th…
G-man
7/9/2019 12:13pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
World superbike has always put on a great show at Laguna. Been going there for the races since before they changed the track for the wussies...
What do you mean they changed the track for the wussies in MotoGP? Woohoo

The changes included new turns 3 and 4 and more run off room along with repaving the track all these have been improvements in my opinion it's still a fantastic track one of a kind much different than the European flatter tracks it's like a rollercoaster.

The Shop

BMSOBx2
7/9/2019 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 1:20pm
G-man wrote:
What do you mean they changed the track for the wussies in MotoGP? :woohoo: The changes included new turns 3 and 4 and more run off...

The changes included new turns 3 and 4 and more run off room along with repaving the track all these have been improvements in my opinion it's still a fantastic track one of a kind much different than the European flatter tracks it's like a rollercoaster.

World superbike Riders had been racing at Laguna for years when the MotoGP guys came along they began to complain it was too dangerous and forced them to change the track. That and the fact that it wasn't quite long enough to meet GP standards caused the changes to be made. You used to blast down the front straightaway at a tremendous amount of speed and hang a left at what is now turn 6 heading uphill towards the corkscrew where they used to get air half way up the hill. They forced them to shave that so they couldn't get off the ground anymore. They also got air on the start straight because there was no turn on the other side of the rise after the finish line. Laguna was a much more high speed track before the changes and better in my opinion.
G-man
7/9/2019 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 1:57pm
G-man wrote:
What do you mean they changed the track for the wussies in MotoGP? :woohoo: The changes included new turns 3 and 4 and more run off...

BMSOBx2 wrote:
World superbike Riders had been racing at Laguna for years when the MotoGP guys came along they began to complain it was too dangerous and forced...
World superbike Riders had been racing at Laguna for years when the MotoGP guys came along they began to complain it was too dangerous and forced them to change the track. That and the fact that it wasn't quite long enough to meet GP standards caused the changes to be made. You used to blast down the front straightaway at a tremendous amount of speed and hang a left at what is now turn 6 heading uphill towards the corkscrew where they used to get air half way up the hill. They forced them to shave that so they couldn't get off the ground anymore. They also got air on the start straight because there was no turn on the other side of the rise after the finish line. Laguna was a much more high speed track before the changes and better in my opinion.
Oh yes I remember the old track but that was back in the Kenny Roberts AMA days wasn't it?

My first time to Laguna Seca I believe was 1988 and was the 500cc GP class with two strokes Schwantz, Rainey, Mamola, Lawson to name a few.

Racing was awesome I believe they changed the track before that to increase the length to meet GP standards.

But World Superbike the first time they raced there the track had already been changed.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/249043/a-bit-of-history-world-superb…
BMSOBx2
7/9/2019 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 2:05pm
You are right. They held races there with Kenny and the Gang before the track was reconfigured trying to lure Formula 1 and MotoGP. I recall at the time many of the Riders polled weren't in favor of track changes as they didn't consider it dangerous. Damn I'm old.
G-man
7/9/2019 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 11:55pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
You are right. They held races there with Kenny and the Gang before the track was reconfigured trying to lure Formula 1 and MotoGP. I recall...
You are right. They held races there with Kenny and the Gang before the track was reconfigured trying to lure Formula 1 and MotoGP. I recall at the time many of the Riders polled weren't in favor of track changes as they didn't consider it dangerous. Damn I'm old.
Hahaha no worries man I'm old too and my short-term memory is not what it used to be.

But yes I remember that scenario in cycle news where they configured the track to lure the European racers.

What really infuriates me though is Jill Campbell the track manager who would not sign the agreement with the MotoGP brass to continue racing there.
I guess the price tag was too high but every year that place was jam-packed.

I like to ride my bike to Laguna Seca (HWY 1 is epic!) unfortunately the cards were not in place to do it this year but I have no interest in riding my bike to Texas. Evil
BMSOBx2
7/9/2019 8:04pm
The track was owned by the county and all the bureaucracy that goes with it but they didn't have the money for the fees that MotoGP required. No profit even after they reconfigured the track and upgraded the facilities. Better suited to World Superbike now anyway.
G-man
7/12/2019 4:49pm
Great to be back to Seca... Smile

JPT
7/13/2019 4:18pm
Bautista is folding like a bad suit. 4 dnfs in four races.
JPT
7/13/2019 5:41pm
G-man wrote:
I know some of you guys have bashed the MotoAmerica series but this season has pretty good, not sure if you have been watching it but...
I know some of you guys have bashed the MotoAmerica series but this season has pretty good, not sure if you have been watching it but the Superbike class has been very competitive with four to five Riders able to win. Smile

Then you have Josh Hayes back in the 600 class with his wife Melissa sponsoring him! Cool

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/its-tense-at-the-top-previewing-th…
Yeah but 15 bikes on the grid with only 5 finishers is pretty sad. Miss the late 90's early 2000's.

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/laguna-seca-motoamerica-superbike-race-…
G-man
7/13/2019 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2019 6:27pm
The Motoamerica race was the best race of the day it was a 5-way battle for the lead!
Too bad Josh Herin had to throw it away would have been even better.

not sure if you've seen it on the boob tube but check it out. 10 racers finished btw

It is what it is and you have to support it to somehow get American Racers up to speed to go to Europe.

What's really sad in my opinion is we have no American Racers overseas. Sad
BMSOBx2
7/14/2019 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2019 4:53pm
Watching the second Super Bike Race on TV. Four five guys racing, couple of semi Factory teams and a bunch of privateers, no Spectators what a shame. I appreciate what Rainey and his group are trying to do but the product just isn't there yet. I hope it gets better. Until we get a system that nurtures young American Riders it's going to remain a playground for also ran Europeans to come over and cherry-pick. Gerlach winning was a real bonus but we need lots more like him. Unfortunately there's no money in it without factory support.
G-man
7/14/2019 5:36pm
Agree with what you said but why are you not here supporting the series?

Without The Spectators there are no races without the races there are no racers.

Regardless we had a good time and that's what it's all about the Corkscrew was as cool as ever and it was pretty packed not as much as MotoGP which we really miss.

G-man
7/15/2019 11:02am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 11:34pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Watching the second Super Bike Race on TV. Four five guys racing, couple of semi Factory teams and a bunch of privateers, no Spectators what a...
Watching the second Super Bike Race on TV. Four five guys racing, couple of semi Factory teams and a bunch of privateers, no Spectators what a shame. I appreciate what Rainey and his group are trying to do but the product just isn't there yet. I hope it gets better. Until we get a system that nurtures young American Riders it's going to remain a playground for also ran Europeans to come over and cherry-pick. Gerlach winning was a real bonus but we need lots more like him. Unfortunately there's no money in it without factory support.
I thought Yamaha and Suzuki had Factory supported teams, seem to be the only two.

But yes it was nice to see Gerlach win.

I have a ton of photos to download but I'm still traveling I will have to wait till I get to a computer. Smile
Cannery Row was pretty cool I'll leave you with this little tidbit, a 1939 Indian this guy restored.
It was awesome fired it up and rode away.

G-man
7/19/2019 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 2:04pm
Each night during World Superbike Weekend riders congregate down to infamous Cannery Row. It's like a Bike Show gathering--some Old, Custom, Exotic, Rare and even some 2-Strokes. Sure did miss my Bike--next time...Cool

They had some blowout sales here! Cheerful

This 1939 Indian really caught my eye and the owner was very cool as he described some of the efforts he had in restoring this rare machine.

It's not like you can go down to the local bike shop and get parts for this 80 yr ol thoroughbred. As I circled around it I noticed no lights of any kind and no license plate. I asked him how he legally rode it on the street?

He went to the front number plate and he had fabricated it to move up an inch which exposed these cool headlights.

I like his custom sign. Laughing

The taillights were integrated into the rear fender he made. He then flipped down the license plate from the seat!
Woohoo
Whahhhlaaaaa--STREET LEGAL!

G-man
7/19/2019 2:12pm

Check out this guys rear brake caliper stay arm. Grinning

G-man
7/19/2019 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2019 1:12am
Ahhhh the convenience of cell phone cameras, but they don't have the quality of a good camera that I used in a previous era....Dry

Up on the hill by the corkscrew they have some refreshments. Smile

You have 5 minutes to get this baby back together!

Superbike from the ol days--check out the Mag cover!

This would be a FUN RENTAL!

My ol English buddy always has these cool shirts for sale--$10, couldn't pass up the "King of Cool".

Looks like Johnny Rea is on his way to another World Championship title as the early point leader Bautista has folded like a quesadilla and coughed up a 60 point lead into a 80 pt DEFICIT!

G-man
7/19/2019 3:38pm
MATHEW SCHOLTZ tossed his beautiful GOLD R1 down the corkscrew.... Woohoo

Excuse the crappy cell phone pics...Unsure

G-man
7/19/2019 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 9:15pm
Ducati Island always has some nice scooters....

They made a Limited Edition Nicky Hayden tribute bike--very nice. Smile

The newly released Carl Fogarty edition. Ducati broke out four-time WSBK champ Foggy to unveil the Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916, which he nearly crashed in the wet grass en route to the stage.

G-man
7/19/2019 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 4:48pm

Ran into my ol Buddy Bert once again and he was making Bloody Mary's! Unfortunately they are not my cup of tea and while they looked good I had to pass.... Smile

G-man
7/19/2019 4:29pm

That's a wrap--till next time hope you enjoyed the pics...Cool
BMSOBx2
7/19/2019 7:34pm
Sweet pics G man looks like a good time. Couldn't make it this year.
SEEMEFIRST
7/21/2019 7:20pm
Thanks , Gary! That was badass!

Come through the "bottom" of Texas on the way to Austin, it's awesome through the canyon. You can ride the "Twisted sisters". Look it up
Thank me later.
G-man
7/22/2019 3:01pm
Thanks SMF sounds like a good ride but riding up Hwy1 is one of our favorite things to do in Life and hard to replicate.

Past the Rock Store pic

Maybe once I retire and have more vacation time. Cool

Here's some scenic pictures of Beautiful Monterey

The Bay

Local SQUID Grinning

The many Fishing Boats resting

These para-surfers and wind surfers are pretty amazing. It looks like a LOT of work and must take a lot of practice, but these guys make it look easy.

Talk about a BRUTAL WAKE-UP CALL!
Here was the temp on the way back home.... Evil Dang I wanna go back! Laughing

Post a reply to: Laguna Seca

The Latest