Seattle soda tax

Rhino
1/5/2018 2:26pm
308 wrote:
I don't drink s̶o̶d̶a̶ Pop but thought this was funny. 104-Year-Old Woman Says Can Of Diet Coke Every Day Is Secret To Long Life [embed] https://youtu.be/-KG912GXSaI...
I don't drink s̶o̶d̶a̶ Pop but thought this was funny.

104-Year-Old Woman Says Can Of Diet Coke Every Day Is Secret To Long Life

JAFO92 wrote:
That gal has more goin' on upstairs than most people I know. Talk about sharp as a tack! Inspiring lady right there ! Like I said...
That gal has more goin' on upstairs than most people I know. Talk about sharp as a tack! Inspiring lady right there !

Like I said earlier in this thread, me likey my Dr Pepper !
Shes awesome! What a great attitude.
Titan1
1/5/2018 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2018 3:11pm
newmann wrote:
Your friendly local realtor can show you that yes, you too can own a 500k home on 50k income.
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Didn't we go through that back around 2008? How'd that turn out? It's like deja vu all over again.
Rhino wrote:
Not even close. The crash changed all that. Especially in 2010. On top of that, unless someone is lending their own money, and actually knows who...
Not even close. The crash changed all that. Especially in 2010.

On top of that, unless someone is lending their own money, and actually knows who and when someone can get a loan for a house, and I mean not a guy that works at place as a loan guy, most have no idea at all or understand why that a guy making a million probably couldn't buy that much house to live in with a loan.
Or even 10 million in some cases if he couldn't buy it outright and needed a loan.

Most have no idea why that would be. Including some guy at a bank.

By lending their own money, I dont mean a guy at a bank, I mean their name personally shows as the beneficiary on the deed, or say 10 people fractionally on the deed, and their money is actually sitting on that property.
Where it says XXXXX Lender, with Joe Blow beneficiary with 31% Interest, Sally Smith with 16% interest, Johnny Jones with 8% Interest etc etc etc.

The more people make, believe it or not, chances are they have a really hard time getting a loan on a house to live in. That's why most are straight cash buys.

Premix, Bro...you may want to stay away from the mortgage/lending/real estate topics on this board...at least until you pay williams the money you screwed him out of....until then-well, probably not even then-you won't have any credibility on those topics. What you did to Williams is still a sore subject around here.

(And I bet you don't reply to this post...but if you do..."its in your files"...and "my girlfriends daughter can figure it out...she's gonna work for me one day"...aren't acceptable replies.)
Ebs
1/6/2018 12:03am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2018 12:05am
I think you missed what that chart represents (that page doesn't do a good job explaining).

Tax burden is how much of the total state income is generated by those state/local taxes on it's residents.

So it really doesn't tell the whole story should one like to consider the size and how efficiency of state income/spending, or how burdensome other revenue streams a state might create for additional funding. That other percentage has to come from somewhere. Kind of crazy to think how much we pay in taxes, that it hardly accounts for 10% of what the state takes in.
tempura
1/6/2018 2:03am
Fruit juices are almost just as bad as soda. If you take out the fiber from the fruit you are just drinking fruit flavored sugar water.

Depends if that juice has been pasteurised. If it has, then yeah, it's just another "dead" juice. Drink freshly squeezed juice and its full of life giving enzymes.
Just like when people over cook their vegetables and drain all the life out of them.
The obsession/brainwashing of destroying our food before we consume it.

The Shop

MR. X
1/6/2018 4:59am
Fruit juices are almost just as bad as soda. If you take out the fiber from the fruit you are just drinking fruit flavored sugar water.

tempura wrote:
Depends if that juice has been pasteurised. If it has, then yeah, it's just another "dead" juice. Drink freshly squeezed juice and its full of life...
Depends if that juice has been pasteurised. If it has, then yeah, it's just another "dead" juice. Drink freshly squeezed juice and its full of life giving enzymes.
Just like when people over cook their vegetables and drain all the life out of them.
Sugar content brotha ,its just as bad.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
1/6/2018 6:08am
Ebs wrote:
I think you missed what that chart represents (that page doesn't do a good job explaining). Tax burden is how much of the total state income...
I think you missed what that chart represents (that page doesn't do a good job explaining).

Tax burden is how much of the total state income is generated by those state/local taxes on it's residents.

So it really doesn't tell the whole story should one like to consider the size and how efficiency of state income/spending, or how burdensome other revenue streams a state might create for additional funding. That other percentage has to come from somewhere. Kind of crazy to think how much we pay in taxes, that it hardly accounts for 10% of what the state takes in.
Well the title "state tax burden" is very misleading.
Might better be labeled "state tax revenue source"
Implies someting totally different if it's about what's taken in vs taken away.
TM
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/6/2018 6:20am
tempura wrote:
Depends if that juice has been pasteurised. If it has, then yeah, it's just another "dead" juice. Drink freshly squeezed juice and its full of life...
Are you drinking raw water too?
1/6/2018 6:48am
MR. X wrote:
I concur. I haven't seen any sugar that was good for you, unless it was fresh fruit because real fiber in that fruit aids in the digestion of sugar.
APLMAN99
1/6/2018 6:53am
Ebs wrote:
I think you missed what that chart represents (that page doesn't do a good job explaining). Tax burden is how much of the total state income...

That's not quite correct either.

What the chart reflects is the percentage of personal income spent on these taxes. They aren't equal to the actual tax rates because we don't spend all of our income on things with sales tax, our property that is being taxed isn't likely to be the exact same as our income, and most income taxes are not flat taxes.
tempura
1/6/2018 6:45pm

tempura wrote:
MR. X wrote:
Sugar isn't all the same.
Refined sugar and syrup's that you find in soda and other shit drinks and food, are bad.
Don't be fooled into thinking because an apple or orange has a form of sugar in it, that it's bad for you.
tempura
1/6/2018 6:47pm
tempura wrote:
early wrote:
unfluoridated water. You should try it...lol
APLMAN99
1/6/2018 6:57pm
tempura wrote:
MR. X wrote:
tempura wrote:
Sugar isn't all the same. Refined sugar and syrup's that you find in soda and other shit drinks and food, are bad. Don't be fooled into...
Refined sugar and syrup's that you find in soda and other shit drinks and food, are bad.
Don't be fooled into thinking because an apple or orange has a form of sugar in it, that it's bad for you.
A raw apple is pretty different than apple juice, actually. Apple juice is somewhat better than just a sugary drink like a soda because of vitamin content, but if you drank as much apple juice as a lot of folks drink soda, it'd be pretty close to an equal problem.

An apple itself with the flesh intact is very healthy, however.
tempura
1/6/2018 7:17pm
MR. X wrote:
tempura wrote:
Sugar isn't all the same. Refined sugar and syrup's that you find in soda and other shit drinks and food, are bad. Don't be fooled into...
APLMAN99 wrote:
A raw apple is pretty different than apple juice, actually. Apple juice is somewhat better than just a sugary drink like a soda because of vitamin...
A raw apple is pretty different than apple juice, actually. Apple juice is somewhat better than just a sugary drink like a soda because of vitamin content, but if you drank as much apple juice as a lot of folks drink soda, it'd be pretty close to an equal problem.

Plus the live enzymes. No live enzymes in a pasteurised carton of apple juice. Very different. People don't realise the differences.
1/8/2018 9:57am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2018 10:00am
JW381 really has the blinders on. But he hasn’t experienced being taxed to death, yet.

Income, property, sales, SIN....tax tax tax.

Government doesn’t care if your healthy. They tax things that are popular in demand to generate revenue. So they can feed their spending machines. Best way you can fight them is to not buy in high tax areas and dump money into your safe or savings account. Because they can’t touch it. And if the entire population would decide to do that. They would eliminate paper money and go full digital. It’s all about cash control, keeping their pockets stuffed while letting the rest of us think if we work really hard we will be successful one day like oprah—-and then we will love to pay taxes. Love it so much that we will hire people to lobby so the ultra rich don’t have to pay taxes. And then we tell the youngins that one day if they work really hard.....process repeats.

Marginalized people in project housing that use their food stamps to purchase food just got punched in the gut. They can’t afford to drive outta the city to get what they want. Instead they’re taxed $2.53 more on a case if soda—-which takes money away from them to allocate a “healthy alternative.” Does that make sense ?

There are many good people on food stamps in project housing that want out and these “sin” taxes just keep them down and dependent on their local governments.
1/8/2018 10:04am
MR. X wrote:
tempura wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
A raw apple is pretty different than apple juice, actually. Apple juice is somewhat better than just a sugary drink like a soda because of vitamin...

Ok well, he is the “apple man,” can’t argue with that.
Rhino
1/8/2018 10:18am
JW381 really has the blinders on. But he hasn’t experienced being taxed to death, yet. Income, property, sales, SIN....tax tax tax. Government doesn’t care if your...
JW381 really has the blinders on. But he hasn’t experienced being taxed to death, yet.

Government doesn’t care if your healthy. They tax things that are popular in demand to generate revenue. So they can feed their spending machines. Best way you can fight them is to not buy in high tax areas and dump money into your safe or savings account. Because they can’t touch it. And if the entire population would decide to do that. They would eliminate paper money and go full digital. It’s all about cash control, keeping their pockets stuffed while letting the rest of us think if we work really hard we will be successful one day like oprah—-and then we will love to pay taxes. Love it so much that we will hire people to lobby so the ultra rich don’t have to pay taxes. And then we tell the youngins that one day if they work really hard.....process repeats.

Marginalized people in project housing that use their food stamps to purchase food just got punched in the gut. They can’t afford to drive outta the city to get what they want. Instead they’re taxed $2.53 more on a case if soda—-which takes money away from them to allocate a “healthy alternative.” Does that make sense ?

There are many good people on food stamps in project housing that want out and these “sin” taxes just keep them down and dependent on their local governments.
Your post contradicts itself.
They can’t afford to drive outta the city to get what they want. Instead they’re taxed $2.53 more on a case if soda—-which takes money away from them to allocate a “healthy alternative.” Does that make sense ?

How about this? They can do without. Or get a healthy alternative right where they are. They arent getting a healthy alternative anyway.

I havent drank a soda in probably 15 years at this point. Water is cheap at the tap.

And before you say tap water is garbage, L.A. water from a hose was found to have less bacteria than Evian.
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/8/2018 10:21am
tempura wrote:
early wrote:
tempura wrote:
unfluoridated water. You should try it...lol
I like to buy distilled water when i am getting a gallon jug. Not much difference in taste between that and a good filter. Call me crazy but im not worried about Flouride. I try to consume good foods but pasteurized juice is just something that i have to deal with (maybe i need a mental health day off). Anyway I dont drink much juice straight, usually its water, beer, some soda, or a pomegranate/apple cider vinegar/water cocktail.
1/8/2018 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2018 5:12pm
JW381 really has the blinders on. But he hasn’t experienced being taxed to death, yet. Income, property, sales, SIN....tax tax tax. Government doesn’t care if your...

Rhino wrote:
Your post contradicts itself. [i]They can’t afford to drive outta the city to get what they want. Instead they’re taxed $2.53 more on a case if...
Your post contradicts itself.
They can’t afford to drive outta the city to get what they want. Instead they’re taxed $2.53 more on a case if soda—-which takes money away from them to allocate a “healthy alternative.” Does that make sense ?

How about this? They can do without. Or get a healthy alternative right where they are. They arent getting a healthy alternative anyway.

I havent drank a soda in probably 15 years at this point. Water is cheap at the tap.

And before you say tap water is garbage, L.A. water from a hose was found to have less bacteria than Evian.
Musta been a damn clean hose! Definitely not off Flint, MI craigslist.

And if there was a study tomorrow that came out and said soda is good for you. And I tried to make you drink it....you wouldn’t.

Same premise for people in chronic heart failure and why they’re readmitted to the hospital within 30 days. You can tell them how to live, provide them with the resources to live healthy....and guess what? They do whatever they want to do. And they’re back in the ED short of breath a week later. And because that happens Medicare/Medicaid won’t reimburse or pay for that admission to the hospital. (And we wonder why medical costs are high) governments answer is “ah they just need more education” well the hospitals educate....they have heart failure coordinators whose sole job is to educate people on how to NOT come back to the hospital. (Kinda like taxing soda that will get them to quit!!!—-sarcasm not) Yet...we see the same people in heart failure. Every 6-15 days back in the hospital. Nice people, just won’t take care of themselves. And we no matter how much the government tells the hospital to teach, no matter how much we teach it doesn’t matter. You can tax soda all you want. Doesn’t matter. It just generates revenue for politicians to spend.

So, you tax soda to punish people. They don’t care. theyre still gonna acquire it. and they’re still gonna consume it. You can’t force people or tax people into being healthy. Can’t be done.
omalley
1/9/2018 9:39am
JW381 wrote:
Some of you make some good points, but I'm still glad to see it. What can I say? I think soda is absolutely worthless and a...
Some of you make some good points, but I'm still glad to see it. What can I say? I think soda is absolutely worthless and a waste on so many levels, and anything that might diminish such a drain on human health and productivity is okay in my book. I'm a fan of action. We've known for a while now how bad soda is, how grossly overweight our population (especially kids) is, yet nothing has changed.

When I go to BC and see how expensive beer and cigarettes are because of taxes, I can't help but applaud the effort. You still have the choice to drink soda, it's just going to cost you more.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes. If soda consumption stays the same then its back to the drawing board.
JAFO92 wrote:
The operative words here, "I think,,,," I happen to love Dr Pepper and dont give a rats ass how bad it is for me anymore than...
The operative words here, "I think,,,,"

I happen to love Dr Pepper and dont give a rats ass how bad it is for me anymore than how Titos and lime jacks up my innards too. Same with hopping on my RM250 and augering my dumbass into the ground, its all my prerogative and total bullcrap if some do-gooder can tax me more because they "think" its something I should not do.

My body, my choice. Sound familiar? Kissing
JW381 wrote:
What if it's my prerogative to do meth or heroin? Are you suggesting those be legal to buy, tax free?
I don’t disagree with your point here. However, it’s worth noting that Seattle has no problem with you doing those things, even trying to set up supervised injection sites...essentially saying, “don’t drink soda because it’s bad for you, but go ahead and shoot heroin.”
APLMAN99
1/9/2018 9:52am
JAFO92 wrote:
The operative words here, "I think,,,," I happen to love Dr Pepper and dont give a rats ass how bad it is for me anymore than...

I happen to love Dr Pepper and dont give a rats ass how bad it is for me anymore than how Titos and lime jacks up my innards too. Same with hopping on my RM250 and augering my dumbass into the ground, its all my prerogative and total bullcrap if some do-gooder can tax me more because they "think" its something I should not do.

JW381 wrote:
What if it's my prerogative to do meth or heroin? Are you suggesting those be legal to buy, tax free?
omalley wrote:
I don’t disagree with your point here. However, it’s worth noting that Seattle has no problem with you doing those things, even trying to set up...
I don’t disagree with your point here. However, it’s worth noting that Seattle has no problem with you doing those things, even trying to set up supervised injection sites...essentially saying, “don’t drink soda because it’s bad for you, but go ahead and shoot heroin.”
That's pretty disingenuous at best.

JW381
1/9/2018 6:20pm
JAFO92 wrote:

JW381 wrote:
omalley wrote:
I don’t disagree with your point here. However, it’s worth noting that Seattle has no problem with you doing those things, even trying to set up...
That is an interesting point, but there is one huge difference; sharing soda isn't causing the rampant spread of HIV/AIDS. Herpes, maybe, but not HIV. So Seattle (any large city) has a vested interest in making sure that junkies at least keep their diseases to themselves. I know that can be a tough pill to swallow, but that's why it's different than discouraging soda consumption.
1/10/2018 8:24am Edited Date/Time 1/10/2018 8:25am
I think Charlie Daniels knows how to handle HIV spreadin’ drug dealers.

Charlie Daniels - Simple man (YouTube it....)
JW381
1/10/2018 4:45pm
I think Charlie Daniels knows how to handle HIV spreadin’ drug dealers.

Charlie Daniels - Simple man (YouTube it....)
Yeah that's cute but doesn't address the point. We get it, you wanna hang drug dealers. Not as if I said they're upstanding people. But clean injection sites have a purpose, one that I cannot say I fully agree with, but a purpose nonetheless.
kkawboy14
1/11/2018 2:31am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 2:34am
In cardio therapy from open heart surgery a couple years ago they explained good and bad sugar.

There is only 1 good sugar: honey.
Your body sees All sugar the same, refined sugar, brown sugar, beet sugar and so forth.
The bad/worst sugar you can eat is: high fructose corn syrup, they said it messes up your insulin regulation, so never eat it.

That’s why some soda manufacturers like Dr. Pepper sell a “pure cane sugar” version of some products so you don’t have to drink high fructose corn syrup.
MR. X
1/11/2018 4:11am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2018 4:11am
kkawboy14 wrote:
In cardio therapy from open heart surgery a couple years ago they explained good and bad sugar. There is only 1 good sugar: honey. Your body...
In cardio therapy from open heart surgery a couple years ago they explained good and bad sugar.

There is only 1 good sugar: honey.
Your body sees All sugar the same, refined sugar, brown sugar, beet sugar and so forth.
The bad/worst sugar you can eat is: high fructose corn syrup, they said it messes up your insulin regulation, so never eat it.

That’s why some soda manufacturers like Dr. Pepper sell a “pure cane sugar” version of some products so you don’t have to drink high fructose corn syrup.
My wife just came home yesterday with a big ass jar of raw honey. She's on some kind of elimination diet , shes been battling digestive issues and chronic body pain since ive known her . The doctors always turn to meds but she doesnt want to live on pills and tries everything she sees ,nothing has really helped much.
1/12/2018 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2018 4:01pm
JW381 wrote:
Yeah that's cute but doesn't address the point. We get it, you wanna hang drug dealers. Not as if I said they're upstanding people. But clean...
Yeah that's cute but doesn't address the point. We get it, you wanna hang drug dealers. Not as if I said they're upstanding people. But clean injection sites have a purpose, one that I cannot say I fully agree with, but a purpose nonetheless.
Yea needle stations are cute...but doesn’t address the point, we get it you want to eliminate natural selection...natural selection has a point, not saying I agree with it, but has a purpose nonetheless.

?
akillerwombat
1/12/2018 5:03pm
Yea needle stations are cute...but doesn’t address the point, we get it you want to eliminate natural selection...natural selection has a point, not saying I agree...
Yea needle stations are cute...but doesn’t address the point, we get it you want to eliminate natural selection...natural selection has a point, not saying I agree with it, but has a purpose nonetheless.

?
Natural selection for humans was eliminated long ago.
jasonward73
1/13/2018 3:50am
Ebs wrote:
Allow me to step on my red, white, and blue soapbox. I disagree with sin taxes simply on principles of freedom and equality, principles I like...
Allow me to step on my red, white, and blue soapbox.

I disagree with sin taxes simply on principles of freedom and equality, principles I like to think our country is founded upon. Freedom of choice to do whatever you want as long as it isn't harming another person (what is more your own private property than your own body). And equal treatment, if a business provides a good or service that isn't illegal, treat it equal among all other goods/services. We don't need some weak attempt at social engineering.

But I agree that soda is nasty.
Wow. Open your eyes. What you do with your body is very much already decided by gov't. You’ve just been brainwashed to think you have freedom.
jasonward73
1/13/2018 3:55am
newmann wrote:
Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in...
Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in the am.

But why are there so many obese people on welfare? I thought they were "poor"?
When you’re trying to stretch a dollar as far as it goes you aren’t stocking up on $5/gallon organic milk and fresh fruits and vegetables.

Your shopping cart is full of refined carbs, sugar, and salt via the cheapest boxed food you can get in the largest available at the cheapest price. You think the majority of people on welfare are eating free range chicken and farm to table vegetables each night? No.

Try living your life on ramen noodles, Mac n cheese, and imitation coco puffs. Lemme know how your waistline and overall health works out for you.
1/13/2018 6:31am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2018 7:02am
newmann wrote:
Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in...
Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in the am.

But why are there so many obese people on welfare? I thought they were "poor"?
When you’re trying to stretch a dollar as far as it goes you aren’t stocking up on $5/gallon organic milk and fresh fruits and vegetables. Your...
When you’re trying to stretch a dollar as far as it goes you aren’t stocking up on $5/gallon organic milk and fresh fruits and vegetables.

Your shopping cart is full of refined carbs, sugar, and salt via the cheapest boxed food you can get in the largest available at the cheapest price. You think the majority of people on welfare are eating free range chicken and farm to table vegetables each night? No.

Try living your life on ramen noodles, Mac n cheese, and imitation coco puffs. Lemme know how your waistline and overall health works out for you.
Wait. You’re in the army and NP school too? Woohoo

Right so If the marginalized are already stretched thin, why tax them more ? won’t help them on their quest (If that’s what they want to do—be healthy) to eat healthy when they have less money to do so.

Post a reply to: Seattle soda tax

The Latest