Sears circling the drain?

borg
Edited Date/Time 6/6/2018 5:17pm
Sears

The only thing I ever bought there was work boots and tools. Stopped doing that 25 years ago when their Diehard boots turned to shit. I also noticed that Craftsman ratchets were also inferior. Still have lots of sockets and end wrenches though.
|
MR. X
5/31/2018 7:18am
Ratchets went to shit a while ago ,the return wasn't even worth it anymore for how frequently they broke.
bigmaico
5/31/2018 7:28am
Craftsman now owned by Stanley & can be bought at ACE Hardware store!

I quit buying Craftsman When a associate in the tool Dept wouldn't replace a Torque Wrench!

I even had the sales receipt that stated it had a Life time warranty.
JWACK
5/31/2018 7:34am
What's even more sad is Snap on. They are junk now. Not happy with any of my new Snap on stuff. Broken screwdrivers and pliers within minutes of use. Wtf man.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/31/2018 7:34am
bigmaico wrote:
Craftsman now owned by Stanley & can be bought at ACE Hardware store! I quit buying Craftsman When a associate in the tool Dept wouldn't replace...
Craftsman now owned by Stanley & can be bought at ACE Hardware store!

I quit buying Craftsman When a associate in the tool Dept wouldn't replace a Torque Wrench!

I even had the sales receipt that stated it had a Life time warranty.
Lowes is carrying craftsman now, and actually bringing production back to the US. Some stuff they've started back here, some stuff is still made overseas while they get the assembly lines going.

The Shop

JPT
5/31/2018 8:08am
Always bought appliances at Sears because of service. Bought a Samsung washer and dryer there a couple years ago. In the past it was always Sears who did the delivery but this time it was a couple guys in a rental truck. Had an issue with the washer, still in warranty, and was told by Sears that Samsung wouldn't let them service their items.

Not that any of that matters because our last Sears in town closed last Fall. Never thought I'd see a time when there was no Sears and no K-Mart.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/31/2018 8:48am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2018 8:57am
They completely shut down shop in Canada this past January. None remaining. We had something like 140+ stores. 12000+ employee's lost their jobs in the process.
huck
5/31/2018 9:01am
JPT wrote:
Always bought appliances at Sears because of service. Bought a Samsung washer and dryer there a couple years ago. In the past it was always Sears...
Always bought appliances at Sears because of service. Bought a Samsung washer and dryer there a couple years ago. In the past it was always Sears who did the delivery but this time it was a couple guys in a rental truck. Had an issue with the washer, still in warranty, and was told by Sears that Samsung wouldn't let them service their items.

Not that any of that matters because our last Sears in town closed last Fall. Never thought I'd see a time when there was no Sears and no K-Mart.
At one time a lot of our business was Sears/Kmart/Lands End. They had over 900 Sears stores and over 2000 Kmart stores. Now I believe it's around 500 of each...

They never changed with the times, and everybody passed them up. However, if you still go to their headquarters "Hoffman Estates, IL"....they still act like they are in their hay day. What a campus they have out there.
ns503
5/31/2018 9:18am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
They completely shut down shop in Canada this past January. None remaining. We had something like 140+ stores. 12000+ employee's lost their jobs in the process.
Yep. They've gone down the drain up here. Too bad. Not sure where we'll go when all our Kenmore appliances crap out.
MX915
5/31/2018 9:25am
huck wrote:
At one time a lot of our business was Sears/Kmart/Lands End. They had over 900 Sears stores and over 2000 Kmart stores. Now I believe it's...
At one time a lot of our business was Sears/Kmart/Lands End. They had over 900 Sears stores and over 2000 Kmart stores. Now I believe it's around 500 of each...

They never changed with the times, and everybody passed them up. However, if you still go to their headquarters "Hoffman Estates, IL"....they still act like they are in their hay day. What a campus they have out there.
"They never changed with the times"

^This right here. I worked at a Kmart for 5 years during high school and college. The store had been there as long as I can remember. It looked exactly the same the first time my mom brought me there when I was a kid, the first day I showed up for work, the day I quit, and the day the store closed a year or so ago.

There was no attempt to adapt with people's changing wants, needs, or desires in the retail marketplace. Quite sad for all those who depended on them for income.
MudPup545
5/31/2018 10:15am
It's a shame. We have a family owned, Sears outlet near me and I love the place. The staff is always helpful and they actually know about what they are selling. I've bought quite a bit from them over the last 20 or so years. I hope they remain open.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
5/31/2018 10:26am
Most all of my tools (sockets, ratchets, screw drivers..etc) are Craftsman..I find its the 3/8 ratchets that typically fail. Everything else I never have issues.

Anyways, the absolute best/most used tool is my Snap-on 1/4" swivel head ratchet..Looks like this:

JRT812
5/31/2018 10:26am
I thought they went down the drain a while ago. Maybe I’m thinking of circuit city
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/31/2018 10:45am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
ns503 wrote:
Yep. They've gone down the drain up here. Too bad. Not sure where we'll go when all our Kenmore appliances crap out.
I was watching something on TV several months back and I can't remember exactly what was said but I think they said something about honoring warranties. Maybe only on some of the things they sold?

But honestly I think you'll be SOL.

Some of the people they interviewed had been working at this one particular store since it opened or were still students and they were now all in their mid 60's. You could tell some were sad it was closing down.

I just remember the X-Mas Wishbooks as a kid.
DoctorJD
5/31/2018 11:07am
Craftsman is not the Craftsman of old, it's imported stuff and only shares the name. If you can, get Sears to replace your wrenches before they go under, Ace stores are only replacing tools that were bought in-store under standard return policy. No replacing 30-year-old tools.

Trust me, a lot of Ace dealers are jettisoning the Craftsman stuff, I'm thinking of doing it as well, but we made a pretty big commitment when the Ace/Craftsman launched.

5/31/2018 11:42am
Bob Vila just took his shirt off! I remember he was in the craftsman tools commercial's when I was younger....
SCR
5/31/2018 2:30pm

Craftsman made in USA. Some of these are 50 to 60 years old and still doing the job today. Actually the grinder is Black and Decker.

About a year ago I went to Sears on a Sat to get a shaft coupler for the Kenmore washer. Parts dept is gone ? They had 4 guys in polo shirts trying to sell new appliances but no parts. Guy tells me i can order it on line and have it Monday. Luckily we got one local appliance store left. Owner told me he has a bunch of new business from the local Sears appliance service techs.
To bad. Sears was awsome in the day. I think they had a great model, good products. Stocked parts, and provided a service and repair network for their stuff.

GD2
Fantasy
815th
5/31/2018 2:50pm
Last time I was in a Sears, I was the only person in the store besides the employees.
Cygnus
5/31/2018 5:26pm
My craftsman sawzall and belt sander both crapped out in the past year. They were both 29 years old. Got
My moneys worth. But will be replacing with HF tools as they are good as any these days and they have great warranties.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
5/31/2018 6:26pm
GD2 wrote:
Last time I was in a Sears, I was the only person in the store besides the employees.
Thats nothing bro. Last time I was in my local Sears there wasn't an employee around. I left the cash with a note of what I purchased. Should have just stole the damn gearwrenches.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/31/2018 9:56pm
Sears is going down the drain but the Craftsman part of Sears was the only one making money. The Sears stores and name may disappear but Craftsman will still be around.
6/1/2018 4:33am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
ns503 wrote:
Kenmore is just a nameplate your appliance is probably a whirlpool. You'll still be able to find parts and repairmen.

I worked for Sears 20 years ago and I am shocked they made it this long.
JustMX
6/1/2018 9:37am
Hard to believe sears will soon be history.

They were amazon of their day.

I have fond memories of time spent in the main sears store in dallas texas. It was across the street from their distribution warehouse so mom would go to the catalog area and order stuff and they would process the order and see if it was in stock in the warehouse. If it was they would send it over and you could go home with it. Would usually take 30 minutes to an hour.

Meanwhile my brother and I would go exploring. If I remember right it was a 5 or 6 story building and we would ride the escalators all the way up and then back down.

They had a drink machine that would drop a glass, fill it with ice, and then soda.

If we behaved ourselves we got a drink when we left.

I hope kids today get the sense of awe about stuff that my 6 year old self got watching that thing fix my orange soda without spilling a drop.
motoman617
6/1/2018 10:07am
Back when we were kids most of our school clothes came from Sears. Mom would pile us in the station wagon and go get all of our new stuff.

Dad always bought his tools there. He got me a Craftsman tool box with wrench and socket sets for High School graduation. Those were my tools I took to the races with me. He was probably tired of me using his stuff Smile Still using those tools to this day. Good memories of Sears. Really sad thing if they go under. Sounds like J.C. Penny may not be too far behind them.
JustMX
6/1/2018 10:12am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 10:18am
motoman617 wrote:
Back when we were kids most of our school clothes came from Sears. Mom would pile us in the station wagon and go get all of...
Back when we were kids most of our school clothes came from Sears. Mom would pile us in the station wagon and go get all of our new stuff.

Dad always bought his tools there. He got me a Craftsman tool box with wrench and socket sets for High School graduation. Those were my tools I took to the races with me. He was probably tired of me using his stuff Smile Still using those tools to this day. Good memories of Sears. Really sad thing if they go under. Sounds like J.C. Penny may not be too far behind them.
"Toughskins" jeans, and they came with a warranty that your child would out grow them before they wore them out.

(I first thought they came with free patches but that was another brand)
motoman617
6/1/2018 10:39am
JustMX wrote:
"Toughskins" jeans, and they came with a warranty that your child would out grow them before they wore them out. (I first thought they came with...
"Toughskins" jeans, and they came with a warranty that your child would out grow them before they wore them out.

(I first thought they came with free patches but that was another brand)
Yeah "Toughskins" I had forgot the name. Mom use to get my jeans at W.T Grants also. I remember her using the iron on patches on the knees.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/1/2018 11:17am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 11:18am
JustMX wrote:
Hard to believe sears will soon be history. They were amazon of their day. I have fond memories of time spent in the main sears store...
Hard to believe sears will soon be history.

They were amazon of their day.

I have fond memories of time spent in the main sears store in dallas texas. It was across the street from their distribution warehouse so mom would go to the catalog area and order stuff and they would process the order and see if it was in stock in the warehouse. If it was they would send it over and you could go home with it. Would usually take 30 minutes to an hour.

Meanwhile my brother and I would go exploring. If I remember right it was a 5 or 6 story building and we would ride the escalators all the way up and then back down.

They had a drink machine that would drop a glass, fill it with ice, and then soda.

If we behaved ourselves we got a drink when we left.

I hope kids today get the sense of awe about stuff that my 6 year old self got watching that thing fix my orange soda without spilling a drop.
Yep, I remember when you could go to Sears, JC Penny and Montgomery Wards as they were all the cornerstone stores at the mall. In Denver there was a huge Montgomery Wards on Broadway that was five floors, you could spend the day there. Sad Always looked forward to the Christmas catalogs showing up too.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
6/1/2018 11:45am
The giant Sears & Roebuck Co. Christmas Catalog was incredible as a kid. My sister and I would fight over it. We would spend huge amounts of time going through it and marking all the items we wanted to get for Christmas. Then we would hand it to our parents for their review.

Of course, we never actually got any of those marked items. We were poor as hell. But, it was awful fun to dream big and that catalog had everything you could imagine in it.
JustMX
6/1/2018 1:06pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
The giant Sears & Roebuck Co. Christmas Catalog was incredible as a kid. My sister and I would fight over it. We would spend huge amounts...
The giant Sears & Roebuck Co. Christmas Catalog was incredible as a kid. My sister and I would fight over it. We would spend huge amounts of time going through it and marking all the items we wanted to get for Christmas. Then we would hand it to our parents for their review.

Of course, we never actually got any of those marked items. We were poor as hell. But, it was awful fun to dream big and that catalog had everything you could imagine in it.
Yep,

It was like doing a Google search for "cool" and "fun" now

It was a rite of passage to move from it to the tool catalog
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/1/2018 6:59pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
The giant Sears & Roebuck Co. Christmas Catalog was incredible as a kid. My sister and I would fight over it. We would spend huge amounts...

You will like this website Cool

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

Post a reply to: Sears circling the drain?

The Latest