Sears Craftsman Lifetime Guarantee....I don't think so.

newmann
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 9:34am
Took my lifetime guarantee Craftsman torque wrench back to Sears because the adjusting collar cracked and fell off. They replaced it with the comparable model and informed me it's warranted for a year so I better keep my exchange receipt. LMAO
|
Cygnus
11/29/2010 10:49am
Torque wrenches are exempt the same as Craftsman power tools. All hard tools are Lifetime.
Kinda surprised you didn't know this already?
borg
11/29/2010 10:52am
newmann wrote:
Took my lifetime guarantee Craftsman torque wrench back to Sears because the adjusting collar cracked and fell off. They replaced it with the comparable model and...
Took my lifetime guarantee Craftsman torque wrench back to Sears because the adjusting collar cracked and fell off. They replaced it with the comparable model and informed me it's warranted for a year so I better keep my exchange receipt. LMAO
I returned a ratchet once. They brought out a bucket of used ratchets and said "take your pick".

Nobody told me I couldn't put a 3 foot snipe on a 1/4" drive ratchet. Shocked
TerryB
11/29/2010 11:00am
GarrettL wrote:
At least you got a new one.
Yeah, they didn't give me a new one either. Or my 3/8 drive impact.

On another note, my son had his 1/4 drive and 1/2 drive Snap-On ratchets go bad within 6 months of buying them (no cheater bars involved). So much for getting what you pay for. Good thing they're guaranteed.

The Shop

newmann
11/29/2010 11:21am
Cygnus wrote:
Torque wrenches are exempt the same as Craftsman power tools. All hard tools are Lifetime.
Kinda surprised you didn't know this already?
They verified mine had lifetime warranty, otherwise they wouldn't have replaced it in the first place. Had it for quite a while.

11/29/2010 11:27am
Their system sounds different every where. Last week my Dad took a ratchet back, and they said that they cannot exchange them out right anymore, that they will instead repair it. He had the guy talked into just swapping it out until the manager came over and had a shit fit.
11/29/2010 11:27am
I've had them replace tools after they initially refused. For example they replaced a hose that I bought under the pretext of it being lifetime when the initially refused.

All it takes is persistence.
Kinetic1
11/29/2010 11:39am
Crafstman sucks any way you slice it. They used to be good tools and somwhere over the last 20 years the quality left and the price went up. When you add in the usual pita about taking broken tools back it's just not worth it..
Rupert X
11/29/2010 11:51am

Not to get off topic - but did you know that the NAVY originally based their supply system

of of SEARS ? Sorry to sound like a non-refundable toolbag ....

I do like Sears tool department - I can remember going to the big SEARS store

as a youngster -in Springfield, Mass and wandering around with my dad for hours...
Racer92
11/29/2010 12:19pm
Ive never had a single problem when returning any Sears Craftsman wrenchs or sockets/ratchets. They have always give me a brand new equivalent off the rack, no questions asked.

I dont think items like torque wrenches were ever intended to be warrantied forever.
bullpen58
11/29/2010 12:55pm
I love Craftsman and have never had a problem getting new replacements from Sears. They're good tools at a reasonable price.
Kinetic1
11/29/2010 1:10pm
I could deal with having to fight with the kid at the counter for returns if I didn't have to be there every five minutes. My Dad's craftsman tools are great. Good quality and they work well and don't break all the time. I bought one of their 700 ish piece sets about ten years ago when I was getting back into wrenching. The wrenches spread when any torque whatsoever is applied to them and the sockets break with alarming regularity. I have quit going back to Sears for replacements and when anything breaks it gets replaced with Snap-On. I can and have put a Snap -on screw driver (or whatever) in a vise and break it off and my dealer will replace it on the spot. IMO as someone who (not so much anymore but used too) uses my tools everyday Snap-On is well worth the price, especially when you factor in that they come to me once a week.
teggers
11/29/2010 1:38pm
I took a 25 year old ratchet back to K Mart (they sell Craftsmen). They replaced it with problem. I'll buy Craftsmen when I have the choice, but that Harbor Freight place is less than a mile away...........
TeamGreen
11/29/2010 2:03pm
To my knowledge (And due to using A LOT of Craftsman tools):

There ARE some imported/lower level tool lines at Sears that ARE NOT "Lifetime".

Power-tools and certain "hard-tools" ARE NOT Lifetime (Hence, your torque-wrench). I seem to have my 1/2 and 3/8 Torque Wrenches "Fail" jus' in-time for a new one via Warranty! Coincidence?

I've NEVER had a problem getting ANY "U.S." made Craftsman tool replaced...ever.

When I do...they can suck it and I'll get my tools somewhere-else...proll'y "off of a truck"...like back in the day.
Racer92
11/29/2010 2:10pm
Kinetic1 wrote:
I could deal with having to fight with the kid at the counter for returns if I didn't have to be there every five minutes. My...
I could deal with having to fight with the kid at the counter for returns if I didn't have to be there every five minutes. My Dad's craftsman tools are great. Good quality and they work well and don't break all the time. I bought one of their 700 ish piece sets about ten years ago when I was getting back into wrenching. The wrenches spread when any torque whatsoever is applied to them and the sockets break with alarming regularity. I have quit going back to Sears for replacements and when anything breaks it gets replaced with Snap-On. I can and have put a Snap -on screw driver (or whatever) in a vise and break it off and my dealer will replace it on the spot. IMO as someone who (not so much anymore but used too) uses my tools everyday Snap-On is well worth the price, especially when you factor in that they come to me once a week.
No doubt Snap-On tools are great stuff and much better than Craftsman.

Can I charge a new set to your truck account? Whistling
Kinetic1
11/29/2010 2:19pm
If you can find MY Snap-On guy sure.Wink

People tend to make the mistake of signing up for a Snap-On credit account and paying interest on their purchases. I only have a truck account and pay no interest. Free money is good money. And, my Snap-On guy will let me charge whatever I want. I have no credit limit. I do tend to keep my balance around 2 to 3 hundred dollars just to keep him coming back too. Small enough that I can pay it off anytime I want but healthy enough it keeps him wanting to "deal" with me when I ask.Wink
CamP
11/29/2010 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2010 5:36pm
I've never had a craftsman socket or wrench fail. I had a 3/8" ratchet fail about 5 years ago and Sears replaced it with a rebuilt one that's still going strong.

I did notice that when I went to sears recently for a 6mm tap, Craftsman taps are now made in China. I got lucky and found the last US made tap on the wall.

I've broken almost every Chinese made tool I've ever used.
TerryK
11/29/2010 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2010 8:06pm
I don't usually have trouble with Craftsman service, except for a couple of things. They wont replaced damaged screwdrivers any more an they only give you new guts for broken ratchets rather than replacing them. Other than that, sockets, extensions, hammers etc. are all replaced without question.
motofab36
11/30/2010 6:54am
Any of you have a opinion on Cornwell tools?
Kinetic1
11/30/2010 7:42am
motofab36 wrote:
Any of you have a opinion on Cornwell tools?
Yes, but you're not going to like it.
motofab36
11/30/2010 8:21am
LOL, I had a cornwell guy stopping at my shop weekly for a few years. He recently went back to turning wrenches instead of selling them. I bought a few things from him but not alot, most of their tools I felt were overpriced, but I do like their screwdrivers even better than the snap on screwdrivers that I have. The problem now is there is no cornwell truck in my area to replace the tools when needed. I've had a few items that need replaced laying here on my desk for a couple months now.
Kinetic1
11/30/2010 8:36am
I have a sprinkling of Matco and Mac tools along with my Snap-On stuff as well. The Mac guy drives past my shop on his way home every day and will not stop because it's "not his area" Nevermind that I bought a large toolbox and a bunch of motion pro tools from him along with other misc stuff. He refuses to service what he sold because I am out of his designated area. That would be fine but there is no Mac rep in this area so I have to hunt him down when I need something replaced. He has no problem if I bring it to him but he wont sto even though he drives by here every day. Pisses me off to no end.

As for Cornwell, they are okay but not the equal of S-O in my opinion. My personal favorite list when you cinsider all things including the service I have received over the years goes like this:

1: Snap-On/ Blue Point
2: Matco
3: Mac
4: Proto
5: Cornwell
6: everything else.
txmxer
11/30/2010 9:01am
I have a 200+ Craftsman set I got back around 1990. It's been good. Have some Snap-On. Work great, although I've always heard their ratchets were not as good as the hard tools.

I won't ever buy another Crasftsman battery powered tool. Biggest POS ever. And they change the battery sets every year or so.

Go with the high end on battery powered tools and you are less likely to be disappointed.

Power tools? Anything on the low end is a throw away.
zjbell
11/30/2010 11:20am
I'm poor so I can't afford all the cool brands.

I was dumb and spent on Husky, I busted a 1/4 in. drive and went in to get my new one. Said I needed to send it in, it would take awhile. I just left the old wrench on the counter and took the replacement...they didn't chase after me or anything. I assume it happens often. The toolbox is a piece of shit too.
11/30/2010 12:00pm
My dad has been a mechanic for about thirty years now and had built up an impressive set of Snap-on Mac Mat-co tools. He's also very meticulous with his tools, seeing his set gives me a semi.
Kinetic1
11/30/2010 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2010 12:49pm
You would probably jizz a little if you saw mine thenWink I would have to put it all back together though. I have it split up between my home garage my office and my basement and my truck at the moment.
48fordcoe
11/30/2010 12:56pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)
Warranty
Craftsman hand tools have an unlimited lifetime warranty.[25] This lifetime warranty program was instituted by Sears when they began selling the Craftsman line in 1927.[26] This warranty program requires no receipt or dated proof of purchase. If the owner takes the item into a local retail store, it may be replaced or repaired free of charge.[27] In some cases, such as ratchets, the customer may be offered a repair kit with which to repair the item.

The full text of the warranty is as follows:

If for any reason your Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store or other Craftsman outlet in the United States for free repair or replacement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.[28]
General hand tools have been made by a variety of manufacturers over the years including New Britain,[7] Moore Drop Forge,[8] Stanley,[9] Easco Hand Tools,[10] and most recently the Danaher Corporation[11] (wrenches, ratchets, and sockets) and Western Forge[12] (screwdrivers, pliers, and adjustable wrenches).

newmann
11/30/2010 6:34pm
Kinetic1 wrote:
You would probably jizz a little if you saw mine then I would have to put it all back together though. I have it split up...
You would probably jizz a little if you saw mine thenWink I would have to put it all back together though. I have it split up between my home garage my office and my basement and my truck at the moment.
I have tools at work, at home in two different garages,track box in the motorhome and a travel box in my truck. Tools everywhere. Really wanting to bring my big toolbox from work to the house as soon as I get my home workshop finished. Will be in the market for a little bit of a lower end unit for work at that point. I'm dumbfounded how much toolboxes have gone up in the last ten years since I got this one. It currently lists for over $11,000.00, more than twice what I have tied up in it. Crazy money.

Post a reply to: Sears Craftsman Lifetime Guarantee....I don't think so.

The Latest