Sand in the skatepark?

Chance1216
4/20/2020 9:53am
t_baum88 wrote:
You said I had a vote on who your boss is. Do I or don’t I?

JM485
4/20/2020 10:14am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Okay, but the police don’t have the time or resources to verify that your story is true, that everyone else wanting to use the park has...
Okay, but the police don’t have the time or resources to verify that your story is true, that everyone else wanting to use the park has similar “low chance of transmittal” stories, etc. You may be correct that the number of people in the park at that particular park was “low enough” but if a close order isn’t enforced then the number of people using that park would likely grow.

I’m definitely not an apologist for police overstepping their powers, but I’m not a fan of putting them in difficult situations by asking them to bend the rules just for me, either.....
That’s all well and good in theory, but it’s a very slippery slope we’re on allowing these things to happen. I know our local park very well and it’s rare that we would ever have enough people there to pose a legitimate risk. Just having a sweeping policy of “close all parks” is stupid in my eyes, a little bit of sense needs to be used here and there on a case by case basis.

But, to be fair, I’m also not a “rules are rules” type of person and I don’t think I ever will be. We can argue the merits of that all we want but in the end I don’t think either of us is going to convince the other and that’s fine. You can ask my parents, the old “because I said so” line never worked with me growing upLaughing If I don’t think a rule is just I’m going to push the envelop a little bit as long as it’s not hurting or inconveniencing anyone else, and in this case I am absolutely not.
agn5009
4/20/2020 10:14am
agn5009 wrote:
:laugh: my boss is my chief of police which is not an elected position. His boss is the city manager. Which is not an elected position...
Laughing my boss is my chief of police which is not an elected position.

His boss is the city manager. Which is not an elected position.

His boss is the mayor, which is an elected position.
t_baum88 wrote:
I highly doubt it either way since you most likely dont live where I work Wink
t_baum88
4/20/2020 10:19am
agn5009 wrote:
:laugh: my boss is my chief of police which is not an elected position. His boss is the city manager. Which is not an elected position...
Laughing my boss is my chief of police which is not an elected position.

His boss is the city manager. Which is not an elected position.

His boss is the mayor, which is an elected position.
t_baum88 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
I highly doubt it either way since you most likely dont live where I work Wink
Wink

The Shop

newmann
4/20/2020 10:37am
t_baum88 wrote:
My point is we pay his bills and we decide who his boss is

How am I wrong?

All ears
newmann wrote:
Which tree are you barking up? I see you running from one to another.
t_baum88 wrote:
I see you trying to cover your buddies butt that’s about it
How is that? You act as if you hired him yourself. He either works for the sheriff who was elected or for a police chief who was appointed by a commissioner or mayor who was elected. So, which tree were you barking up?

NvHermit
Fantasy
4198th
4/20/2020 11:04am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Okay, but the police don’t have the time or resources to verify that your story is true, that everyone else wanting to use the park has...
Okay, but the police don’t have the time or resources to verify that your story is true, that everyone else wanting to use the park has similar “low chance of transmittal” stories, etc. You may be correct that the number of people in the park at that particular park was “low enough” but if a close order isn’t enforced then the number of people using that park would likely grow.

I’m definitely not an apologist for police overstepping their powers, but I’m not a fan of putting them in difficult situations by asking them to bend the rules just for me, either.....
JM485 wrote:
That’s all well and good in theory, but it’s a very slippery slope we’re on allowing these things to happen. I know our local park very...
That’s all well and good in theory, but it’s a very slippery slope we’re on allowing these things to happen. I know our local park very well and it’s rare that we would ever have enough people there to pose a legitimate risk. Just having a sweeping policy of “close all parks” is stupid in my eyes, a little bit of sense needs to be used here and there on a case by case basis.

But, to be fair, I’m also not a “rules are rules” type of person and I don’t think I ever will be. We can argue the merits of that all we want but in the end I don’t think either of us is going to convince the other and that’s fine. You can ask my parents, the old “because I said so” line never worked with me growing upLaughing If I don’t think a rule is just I’m going to push the envelop a little bit as long as it’s not hurting or inconveniencing anyone else, and in this case I am absolutely not.
Like when you tried to sneak beer into SX
JM485
4/20/2020 12:34pm
NvHermit wrote:
Come on dude seriously? That was a joke that got blown way out of proportion, I don’t even drinkPinch
peelout
4/20/2020 1:14pm
NvHermit wrote:
give me a break

couple of us snuck a 30 into the SLC supercross years ago. it was the year it snowed during the main events and Windham won and Weimer took the 250 champ. we wore big baggy rain gear and they never blinked our direction.

back to the topic at hand, i can not believe anyone is actually sticking up for the commie leftist California leaders. GTFO
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
4/20/2020 4:41pm
t_baum88 wrote:
Wink
So in summary, because you vote and pay taxes you get to choose which of the lawns and regulations you want to follow and when you want to follow them, and if somebody wants to challenge you on that you threaten to vote them out/get them fired?

Seems like an interesting take on democracy. Good luck with that one buddy
Rawly
4/20/2020 6:06pm
Nothing says closed , like a load of sand. Here’s your sign.
t_baum88
4/20/2020 6:53pm
t_baum88 wrote:
Wink
haydos25 wrote:
So in summary, because you vote and pay taxes you get to choose which of the lawns and regulations you want to follow and when you...
So in summary, because you vote and pay taxes you get to choose which of the lawns and regulations you want to follow and when you want to follow them, and if somebody wants to challenge you on that you threaten to vote them out/get them fired?

Seems like an interesting take on democracy. Good luck with that one buddy
Sure. Just show me where I said ANYTHING like that. Never said a thing about laws* or regulations about said public place. Reading comprehension is free.

Shitty summary hope you didn’t spend too long on that..
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
4/20/2020 7:03pm
t_baum88 wrote:
Sure. Just show me where I said ANYTHING like that. Never said a thing about laws* or regulations about said public place. Reading comprehension is free...
Sure. Just show me where I said ANYTHING like that. Never said a thing about laws* or regulations about said public place. Reading comprehension is free.

Shitty summary hope you didn’t spend too long on that..
It's ok, I didn't spend too much time or thought on anything you had to say so don't worry too much.

Suffice to say you basically want to elect people, then if they don't do what you deem to be prudent you proceed to threaten to elect somebody else in their place. As if you and you alone have the authority to do so.

Reading comprehension is free, as is understanding the democratic process, it seems you may have missed that part of your education. Carry on though
t_baum88
4/20/2020 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2020 7:15pm
haydos25 wrote:
It's ok, I didn't spend too much time or thought on anything you had to say so don't worry too much. Suffice to say you basically...
It's ok, I didn't spend too much time or thought on anything you had to say so don't worry too much.

Suffice to say you basically want to elect people, then if they don't do what you deem to be prudent you proceed to threaten to elect somebody else in their place. As if you and you alone have the authority to do so.

Reading comprehension is free, as is understanding the democratic process, it seems you may have missed that part of your education. Carry on though
Well that really showed through.

Your second sentence IS the democratic process. Welcome to merica champ!

haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
4/20/2020 7:27pm
t_baum88 wrote:
Well that really showed through.

Your second sentence IS the democratic process. Welcome to merica champ!

Not exactly. You can threaten all you like, however you as an individual don't have the authority to do anything of the sort. You would need a majority to do that, not a vocal minority. You my friend are the latter. But you keep screaming and demanding and see how far that gets you.
t_baum88
4/20/2020 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2020 7:34pm
haydos25 wrote:
Not exactly. You can threaten all you like, however you as an individual don't have the authority to do anything of the sort. You would need...
Not exactly. You can threaten all you like, however you as an individual don't have the authority to do anything of the sort. You would need a majority to do that, not a vocal minority. You my friend are the latter. But you keep screaming and demanding and see how far that gets you.
You’re missing the entire point arguing semantics.

Where the hell does the majority come from? Individuals? damn!

I don’t claim to know how your “democratic process” works down there. But in America it’s pretty simple.

haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
4/20/2020 8:12pm
t_baum88 wrote:
You’re missing the entire point arguing semantics. Where the hell does the majority come from? Individuals? damn! I don’t claim to know how your “democratic process”...
You’re missing the entire point arguing semantics.

Where the hell does the majority come from? Individuals? damn!

I don’t claim to know how your “democratic process” works down there. But in America it’s pretty simple.

A large group of individuals, at the designated time and place ie. an election. Not 10 kids in a skatepark ignoring an order to shelter in place because they think its a public area and have the right because they "own" it.

The real trick to democracy is on occasion believing in the elected officials, key word being elected to make decisions that aren't always popular because there is a bigger picture. You cant just pick and choose when you want to follow their lead.
Nairb#70
4/20/2020 8:20pm
Thread title made me think of sand in the JJ.
t_baum88
4/20/2020 8:23pm
haydos25 wrote:
A large group of individuals, at the designated time and place ie. an election. Not 10 kids in a skatepark ignoring an order to shelter in...
A large group of individuals, at the designated time and place ie. an election. Not 10 kids in a skatepark ignoring an order to shelter in place because they think its a public area and have the right because they "own" it.

The real trick to democracy is on occasion believing in the elected officials, key word being elected to make decisions that aren't always popular because there is a bigger picture. You cant just pick and choose when you want to follow their lead.
You keep going back in forth on what you’re saying I said... I didn’t say anything about any kids in a skatepark. Not once..

The real trick to arguing with someone over the internet is to at least read what i typed before spouting off.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
4/20/2020 8:43pm
haydos25 wrote:
A large group of individuals, at the designated time and place ie. an election. Not 10 kids in a skatepark ignoring an order to shelter in...

t_baum88 wrote:
You keep going back in forth on what you’re saying I said... I didn’t say anything about any kids in a skatepark. Not once.. The real...
You keep going back in forth on what you’re saying I said... I didn’t say anything about any kids in a skatepark. Not once..

The real trick to arguing with someone over the internet is to at least read what i typed before spouting off.
You know what they say about arguing on the internet...
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
4/20/2020 8:46pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
You know what they say about arguing on the internet...
Yep i got sucked into that one.

My bad guys im out
SEE ARE125
4/20/2020 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2020 9:06pm
Skate park isn’t the only thing with sand in it, seems to be some gritty panties in here.
CM_84
4/20/2020 10:52pm
people thought it was over the top when the city poured sand in the skate park, and then a bunch of kids made a pit bike track and shoveled it all out so that they can keep skating.
Seems like the sand was necessary after all.

If people want to be treated like responsible adults, they should act like it.

I keep reading on here about people being unhappy with their rights being infringed on, well people in the public keep proving that some parts of the population cant be trusted to social distance, if it just endangered them, that fine, have at it. but ultimately its another part of the community that needs to be be protected from a subset of peanuts who cant be trusted to do the right thing.
CM_84
4/20/2020 11:39pm
agn5009 wrote:
I can tell you it sucks kicking people out of parks and stuff. Most cops absolutely dread having to do it. I agree with you there...
I can tell you it sucks kicking people out of parks and stuff. Most cops absolutely dread having to do it. I agree with you there and I wish the parks weren't closed.

Now, heres where you couldn't be more wrong. They absolutely do have the authority to kick you out of parks. I assume you're talking about a public park so YOU don't own the park. The park is most likely owned and funded by the municipality. What that means is THEY OWN THE PARK. THEY get to decide who is permitted to be inside the park, not YOU. If the city manager, mayor or council closes the park then YOU must follow the rules. If you don't then you're trespassing. It's really that simple. It blows my mind how many people dont understand this and think they are allowed to do whatever they want. If you have a friend over YOUR HOUSE then they refuse to leave do you think they should have the right to remain there? That's basically what you're doing by assuming you're allowed to be wherever you want whenever. If you want to be the boss of a park then you should build one and keep it open to the public.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, you're one of the better posters here and never talk smack or anything. But your way of thinking is very delusional. Whoever owns the park has the authority to decide when it's open or closed. If you owned a motocross track and decided to close it I can only imagine you would get pretty upset if random people started coming in to ride whenever they wanted.

A public park is not owned by the public. The public is permitted to use a park at their leisure if the rules are followed. Most parks close at 9pm around here. If you're there after you'll most likely be asked to leave. If you refuse to leave or come back after the warning theres a good chance you'll be arrested for trespassing. You dont get to do what you want and make the rules on property not owned by you.
t_baum88 wrote:
So who paid for that park again?
Who paid for the cop cars? can i take a cruiser for a spin? I have a few things I need to do this weekend and would rather not use my car
rbspecial138
Fantasy
693rd
4/21/2020 8:05am
The ABSOLUTE craziest thing is that if the skateboarders claimed they were homeless, they would be exempt from any shelter in place orders and be allowed to move freely (at the skatepark) under the current legal orders... The next question is how does a cop legally/legitimately prove an individual is homeless? Are they allowed to even ask? Thank you for your time this has been my TED talk.
Ted722
4/21/2020 8:10am
There were some sideshows this last week or two up here that made the news. I'll admit, seen many on the news before, but that was the first time I looked at those and said "Yeah!" Smile

Back to the skateboard park transformation. Sent it to 3 of my moto-buddies who live here in California. 2 Dentists and an Engineer. Average age 57. Here's their responses:

"That is awesome!"
"That is soo dangerous!" (tongue-in-cheek)
"Love it"
Mr. G
4/21/2020 4:07pm
The Liberal Philosophy is so strong it overrides even the most basic practical urge.
JustMX
4/21/2020 6:02pm
Had the CBS evening news on tonight while working in the house and they showed a clip of the pit bikes in the skateboard park.

You would have thought 37 tons of sand is half the sand in the world the way they talked about it.

Two triaxle trucks

Post a reply to: Sand in the skatepark?

The Latest