San Diego Housing

snackfedbear
Edited Date/Time 9/11/2020 8:00am
Hey All,

A potential job opportunity has come up in downtown SD and I will be applying once I have all my paperwork in order. We are looking at potential neighborhoods and need some feedback on which areas to avoid and the areas to consider.

We have 2 young boys and a small dog so 2 bedrooms at minimum.
A garage space is a must as well.

We are not opposed to living outside the city and I am willing to commute up to an hour.

I have no idea the infrastructure for public transit into the city, but I am not opposed to that either.

I’m liking Temecula, but it’s a bit of a mission for daily commute. Calsbad sounds awesome, but seems to be on the pricier side.

Our budget is under 2000 per month.

Is this even feasible? Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.
|
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
9/8/2020 8:37pm
TBH under $2000 a month doesn’t seem feasible at all. At least not in a desirable part of town.
snackfedbear
9/8/2020 10:27pm
Is there a more realistic price point I should be looking at?

Which are the desirable parts of town?
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/9/2020 7:21am
There are some spots in the city where you'll be able to meet that price point but it'll be very tough to get 2 bedrooms and garage. I'm in North Park and it's a rad area but that price with garage space will not be easy. You could live 20-40 minutes outside downtown and find something with a garage in El Cajon, Lemon Grove or possibly south eastern San Diego area.

Where I am is a sweet area IMO (North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights). Kensington is awesome but very pricey. Bankers Hill/Mission Hills is nice but probably too pricey as well. Ocean Beach/Point Loma is nice if you want to be by the water (again, tough to find garage). South of the city, toward border gets easier on the wallet (Imperial Beach, National City).

There is always a chance you find a gem with a garage for around 2k but you'll have to find it at the right time and act fast.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/9/2020 7:31am
Generally, here is where you'd find cheaper rentals (not all good areas though).

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/9/2020 8:55am
Good luck bro.

If you like Carlsbad, San Marcos is an option, but not much cheaper. Escondido is farther inland, but still not a whole lot cheaper.
I have a feeling that your $2K/month budget will get you into 2-bedroom apartment territory, but you'll have trouble finding anything with a garage for that price.
9/9/2020 9:17pm
There is more affordable housing just to the south bro. With the money you save you can get a privado while your walking the dog in the Zona Rosa.

snackfedbear
9/9/2020 10:19pm
seth505 wrote:
Generally, here is where you'd find cheaper rentals (not all good areas though). [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/09/09/448504/s1200_Untitled.jpg[/img]
Generally, here is where you'd find cheaper rentals (not all good areas though).

Thank you for the input man, I seriously appreciate it!. It’s nice to hear from a legitimate local where the nicer neighborhoods are.

If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your housing situation like in North Park?
snackfedbear
9/9/2020 10:21pm
Falcon wrote:
Good luck bro. If you like Carlsbad, San Marcos is an option, but not much cheaper. Escondido is farther inland, but still not a whole lot...
Good luck bro.

If you like Carlsbad, San Marcos is an option, but not much cheaper. Escondido is farther inland, but still not a whole lot cheaper.
I have a feeling that your $2K/month budget will get you into 2-bedroom apartment territory, but you'll have trouble finding anything with a garage for that price.
Thanks!

I’ve definitely considered Escondido. Been doing my Zillow research and I’m a bit familiar with the area. I’m really just looking to find somewhere to meet in the middle of affordability and comfort
snackfedbear
9/9/2020 10:22pm
There is more affordable housing just to the south bro. With the money you save you can get a privado while your walking the dog in...
There is more affordable housing just to the south bro. With the money you save you can get a privado while your walking the dog in the Zona Rosa.

Not to mention all the TJ night life. Tempting... lol
9/9/2020 10:54pm
We almost about a studio apartment in downtown San Diego for like $100,000 8 years ago. Really wish we would have bought that. It would be worth a shitload right now.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/9/2020 11:11pm
You might check out Rancho Bernardo area, it’s a little south of Escondido. If you don’t mind the commute into Temecula you can check out the surrounding areas like Menifee and possibly save a bit. That commute is brutal though If you are on a 9-5 schedule.

I love up n Vista. You have to really check the neighborhoods
in this area if you go for the North County. You can go from nice safe
Family neighborhood to a dangerous fang banger
Barrio in a matter of minutes. You can easily judge the area visually and
know what you are getting into.

If you can swing a higher rent price the entire coastal area is pretty nice. You mentioned Carlsbad. Gonna be tough to get into a safe neighborhood there for $2,000 a month, you’d be looking closer to 3,000.

If you see anything online and you’d like to know what it’s like n person please don’t hesitate to hit me up and I’ll do a drive by and snap pics if at all possible. I’m always looking for a reason to hop on the Harley and go somewhere. If my schedule allows I’d be happy to do that.

I think you’ll love it here 👍
I ride all year round
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/10/2020 7:22am
Thank you for the input man, I seriously appreciate it!. It’s nice to hear from a legitimate local where the nicer neighborhoods are. If you don’t...
Thank you for the input man, I seriously appreciate it!. It’s nice to hear from a legitimate local where the nicer neighborhoods are.

No problem. If you end up finding any specific areas/streets then feel free to let me know and I'll try to give honest feedback.

I actually have a friend selling a condo in Escondido, it is 2 bedroom/2car garage for 425k I believe. It used to be 30-35 minute drive door to door to his place from North Park.

I actually lucked out and I probably have one of the biggest garages in my whole area, it is an over-sized 2 car garage with an extra side area room for washer/dryer where I fit one of my dirtbikes and all kinds of gear/bicycles. I live in a 2bed/2bath townhouse (there are 4 on the property). Two of the townhouses have been rented out recently for I think 2600-2700/mo. Big negative is that I don't have a yard to hang out in but I do love the area.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/10/2020 8:52am
Falcon wrote:
Good luck bro. If you like Carlsbad, San Marcos is an option, but not much cheaper. Escondido is farther inland, but still not a whole lot...
Good luck bro.

Thanks! I’ve definitely considered Escondido. Been doing my Zillow research and I’m a bit familiar with the area. I’m really just looking to find somewhere to...
Thanks!

I’ve definitely considered Escondido. Been doing my Zillow research and I’m a bit familiar with the area. I’m really just looking to find somewhere to meet in the middle of affordability and comfort
Affordability, comfort, San Diego. Pick any two. LaughingCool

It's not THAT bad, but almost.
snackfedbear
9/10/2020 4:35pm
seth505 wrote:
No problem. If you end up finding any specific areas/streets then feel free to let me know and I'll try to give honest feedback. I actually...
No problem. If you end up finding any specific areas/streets then feel free to let me know and I'll try to give honest feedback.

I actually have a friend selling a condo in Escondido, it is 2 bedroom/2car garage for 425k I believe. It used to be 30-35 minute drive door to door to his place from North Park.

I actually lucked out and I probably have one of the biggest garages in my whole area, it is an over-sized 2 car garage with an extra side area room for washer/dryer where I fit one of my dirtbikes and all kinds of gear/bicycles. I live in a 2bed/2bath townhouse (there are 4 on the property). Two of the townhouses have been rented out recently for I think 2600-2700/mo. Big negative is that I don't have a yard to hang out in but I do love the area.
Sounds like you got a pretty sweet setup. I get the back yard being a drawback, and that would definitely be something the boys will miss. But There’s always a give and take. So far I’ve found a couple of OK apartments in the price range on Zillow and realtor. Nothing to write home about.

That sounds like a pretty nice deal for the condo. Is there an address I might be able to look up on Zillow?
snackfedbear
9/10/2020 4:37pm
KennyT wrote:
You might check out Rancho Bernardo area, it’s a little south of Escondido. If you don’t mind the commute into Temecula you can check out the...
You might check out Rancho Bernardo area, it’s a little south of Escondido. If you don’t mind the commute into Temecula you can check out the surrounding areas like Menifee and possibly save a bit. That commute is brutal though If you are on a 9-5 schedule.

If you can swing a higher rent price the entire coastal area is pretty nice. You mentioned Carlsbad. Gonna be tough to get into a safe neighborhood there for $2,000 a month, you’d be looking closer to 3,000.

If you see anything online and you’d like to know what it’s like n person please don’t hesitate to hit me up and I’ll do a drive by and snap pics if at all possible. I’m always looking for a reason to hop on the Harley and go somewhere. If my schedule allows I’d be happy to do that.

I ride all year round
I really appreciate it. I’ve been looking at some places online and haven’t found anything really worth pursuing a lead on. Besides by the time I would actually be moving it will be closer to sometime next year. All the rentals seem to get snatched up fairly quickly.
snackfedbear
9/10/2020 4:39pm
Falcon wrote:
Affordability, comfort, San Diego. Pick any two. LaughingCool

It's not THAT bad, but almost.
The rent prices are close to Brooklyn rent prices. Lol it’s actually quite expensive
Sully
9/10/2020 6:23pm
Thank you for the input man, I seriously appreciate it!. It’s nice to hear from a legitimate local where the nicer neighborhoods are. If you don’t...

North Park is a really cool area, my aunt has lived there for 50+ years. All of the houses were built in the 20s through the 40s and have a really cool Spanish look to them. The biggest problem is that because it's so cool, it's ridiculously expensive. On the plus side, you're only 5 - 10 minutes from downtown.
ProKawi24
9/10/2020 6:49pm
My day job is processing 1st mortgage loans. Basically, you give all your docs to the mortgage officer and I work with the underwriter until closing. I can tell you up here in Norcal, a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo is going for 350k-400k easy. If you're in the bay area, it nearly doubles so I'd expect the same in So-Cal. Even simple SFR homes with 1,500 sq ft in the valley are going for 350k+, many people have been in bidding wars for the last 2 years paying above asking price.

If you can find anything under 500k you're lucky. If my 2 cents means anything, don't get into a bidding war. A few years from now the rates will be high again, values go down, and that 500K fixer-upper will be worth 200k. Real estate is just like the stock market, goes up and down and the best time to buy is when it's down. Right now it's at record high numbers.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/10/2020 9:42pm
Sounds like you got a pretty sweet setup. I get the back yard being a drawback, and that would definitely be something the boys will miss...
Sounds like you got a pretty sweet setup. I get the back yard being a drawback, and that would definitely be something the boys will miss. But There’s always a give and take. So far I’ve found a couple of OK apartments in the price range on Zillow and realtor. Nothing to write home about.

That sounds like a pretty nice deal for the condo. Is there an address I might be able to look up on Zillow?
Here is the Escondido place, it's close to the 15.

https://us.prospects.com/prospects/m.do?tk=e1c7fa7952cc5025ca8ef448d741…
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
9/11/2020 8:00am
Sully wrote:
North Park is a really cool area, my aunt has lived there for 50+ years. All of the houses were built in the 20s through the...
North Park is a really cool area, my aunt has lived there for 50+ years. All of the houses were built in the 20s through the 40s and have a really cool Spanish look to them. The biggest problem is that because it's so cool, it's ridiculously expensive. On the plus side, you're only 5 - 10 minutes from downtown.
That's funny. My Aunt has owned a 4 unit building on Louisiana just north of Balboa Park for almost 40 years. They probably know each other.

30 years ago you could buy anything you wanted in North Park for practically nothing. Now it is stupid expensive.
BeachMX
9/11/2020 9:06pm
KennyT wrote:
You might check out Rancho Bernardo area, it’s a little south of Escondido. If you don’t mind the commute into Temecula you can check out the...

I ride all year round
I agree. I'm in Oceanside(south O by the beach), and its hit and miss here. My neighborhood is great, but a few blocks up it can be sketchy.

North county is great, but like KennyT says, you have to be selective.

Post a reply to: San Diego Housing

The Latest