Sam's club and other bulk stores

With the economy tanking we are all looking to save some cash and i was wondering if you guys use any bulk retailers like Sam's, Costco, bjs, etc...

let me start off by saying i have sams Club and they have been getting shittier and shittier as the months go on. from spoiled produce, to nothing i buy in stock is becoming a trend. Also not sure if its the same all across the country but why the Hell every time i go there i have to pass a pushy sales guy asking who my cell provider is then 3 isles later another sales person asking who my power company is and trying to sell me bullshit. i pay a yearly fee to not deal with shit like that!

so please list the pros/cons of your Bulk store of choice because i am really looking to drop Sam's club for something new. only bad thing is that its close to home so there's that..
|
LOOnatic
7/29/2022 11:11am
I had Sam's and Costco and now just Costco.
The quality is much better at Costco. My only real complaint is that Costco has a pattern of bringing in new great items that I like and then I can't find it again ( I'm mainly talking about food items that I can't buy online).
7/29/2022 11:17am
LOOnatic wrote:
I had Sam's and Costco and now just Costco. The quality is much better at Costco. My only real complaint is that Costco has a pattern...
I had Sam's and Costco and now just Costco.
The quality is much better at Costco. My only real complaint is that Costco has a pattern of bringing in new great items that I like and then I can't find it again ( I'm mainly talking about food items that I can't buy online).
lets say you could go to Sams in a half hour or be at a Costco in an hour? would you drive the extra miles for the qaulity?

also is the gas discount better/worse/same as Sam's?

LOOnatic
7/29/2022 11:36am
Gas about the same.
You should ask your friends if they have a Costco membership and tag along so you can decide for your self.
I drive 30 minutes to Costco versus 15 for Sams fyi
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/29/2022 12:10pm
We use Costco and a new Resturant depot has been great too. I have picked up the food donations for the care and rehabilitation centers every single week for 35 years and Costco is the biggest doner since it's been around.

The Shop

indy_maico
7/29/2022 12:25pm
The food court pizza at Costco is da bomb!

Don't make the mistake of buying the take & bake one, though. It ain't the same!
APLMAN99
7/29/2022 12:35pm
Unless they have changed greatly over the last couple of years, Sam's Club is not even in the same conversation as Costco. Costco sells decent stuff, at a decent price. It may not all be 'top of the line', but it's solid. Any of their house brands are typically as good as, or sometimes even better than, the national brand that they compete with. Sam's house branded items are low cost, Walmart level knockoffs that may be cheaper but are definitely not better than the national brand.

I think that there were 3 or 4 Sam's Clubs in Washington at one time, I went to the one in Renton and the one in North Seattle on 99. Only shopped in them probably a half dozen times, total, because the stuff there was crap. Just like their parent company.........
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
7/29/2022 1:14pm
I have memberships to both, but only because I have businesses in Phoenix and Flagstaff. There is no Costco in Flagstaff (about 2 hours north of Phoenix), so Sam's is the only bulk retail option.

I have a Sam's membership as a back up plan for our Flagstaff location, so at least we can buy in bulk for certain items. But their prices are not really any different compared to Walmart, they just have bulk quantities so it is more convenient.

Most items, when necessary, Walmart is easier/quicker with similar pricing (yes I know Walmart owns Sams). And I avoid Walmart as much as possible, their inventory management and general cleanliness are lacking.

Costco over Sam's anytime.
peelout
7/29/2022 1:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2022 1:40pm
With the economy tanking we are all looking to save some cash and i was wondering if you guys use any bulk retailers like Sam's, Costco...
With the economy tanking we are all looking to save some cash and i was wondering if you guys use any bulk retailers like Sam's, Costco, bjs, etc...

let me start off by saying i have sams Club and they have been getting shittier and shittier as the months go on. from spoiled produce, to nothing i buy in stock is becoming a trend. Also not sure if its the same all across the country but why the Hell every time i go there i have to pass a pushy sales guy asking who my cell provider is then 3 isles later another sales person asking who my power company is and trying to sell me bullshit. i pay a yearly fee to not deal with shit like that!

so please list the pros/cons of your Bulk store of choice because i am really looking to drop Sam's club for something new. only bad thing is that its close to home so there's that..
i go to Costco. unless i see someone i know, i act like i'm deaf.

also, Costco's filet-mignons are better than sex
plowboy
7/29/2022 11:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2022 11:48pm
indy_maico wrote:
The food court pizza at Costco is da bomb!

Don't make the mistake of buying the take & bake one, though. It ain't the same!
I was sad that they dropped the supreme but there's enough cheese on those things to keep you from shittin' for days. I dig the hot dogs too.

Sam's pizza used to be "ok" but they changed the crust and you might as well eat the box...it tastes about the same.
TXDirt
7/30/2022 11:36am
Sam’s Club is for your pantry and food basics

Costco has more organic and higher quality items. More ornate products. They carry some basics, but they will be high brands or organics.

Costcos Kirkland brand is good.

We have memberships at both. I’m not gonna say it’s a cost savings. Especially Costco. It’s pricey. And of course you go in for a few items like chicken and meat and come out with a new sectional couch you never knew you needed!!!

Hell, I just bought a new 86 inch TV last week. Price was just too good to pass up. I swear I went in for just some steaks!!!

Costco meat is amazing! Best steaks around! All the meat and seafood is all high quality.

If you want to save money make sure you eliminate eating out at any restaurants. It makes a huge difference for us. Family of 6. If I go to Canes or Chick Fil A it’s like $80 man.

If we get to a sit down place easily $150 a meal.

That buys a lot of groceries…
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
7/30/2022 12:42pm
We do Costco for bulk shit and patio sets, mattress, gazebo, trees, couch, led lights, etc. They have decent quality. Wife probably spend $10k+ In a good year.

Cheap azz tip- Try the ribeyes from Aldi’s…They are really good.
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/30/2022 3:39pm
Brad460 wrote:
We do Costco for bulk shit and patio sets, mattress, gazebo, trees, couch, led lights, etc. They have decent quality. Wife probably spend $10k+ In a...
We do Costco for bulk shit and patio sets, mattress, gazebo, trees, couch, led lights, etc. They have decent quality. Wife probably spend $10k+ In a good year.

Cheap azz tip- Try the ribeyes from Aldi’s…They are really good.
Red bag frozen chicken tenders and the house dressing at Aldi are hidden gems.

I only buy dog food, treats, and flea applicant and coffee at Sam's club, I use my mom's membership for it. Their food prices and quality never seemed too spectacular. Theres no Costco near me but I've been to them and they are much better. Sams club kinda has a bad vibe imo.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
7/30/2022 4:08pm
Costco is ok. The gas is cheap enough it covers my membership cost, but have to time getting gas. Sometimes that line is out into the street, sometimes half the pumps are free.

I hate the organization, or lack there of. Hard to find stuff. Variety is incredibly small, and they really don't sell that much. Prices are decent for what I do buy there.

The pharmacy is the best in town, but all the pharmacies here are ass so that aint saying much. Makes me miss Taylorsville.

The hot food is pretty good.

Receipt checkers are lame, the ATT guy trying to sell me service I already have is lame, the cashiers suck. U-scan for the win.
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
7/30/2022 4:14pm
We’ve been members to Costco for about a year. We only go there maybe once a month. I don’t know if it’s any cheaper than Walmart or Aldi, but I love the prepared meals they have and their frozen variety of stuff like fish and random quick meal things are so great. It’s hard to feel like you’re saving money when you walk out of there dropping 4 bills. It’s a 45 minute drive so that keeps me out of there more than I need to.

Their chicken pot pie when they’re available…. Oof soooooooo good.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1106th
8/1/2022 6:20am
I have a Costco and Sam's both within 5 min of my work. Borrowed co-workers cards for both to try. I chose Costco strictly for the meats. Only place I can find fresh whole packer briskets. The steaks are the best I've had. Chicken is amazing and bacon is cheapest around. My recommendation is to get a vacuum food saver if you don't already have one. Buy in bulk, vacuum seal and freeze for later.
plowboy
8/1/2022 1:14pm
"Whole packer briskets"...look here fellas...we got a millionaire in our midstWoohoo . I remember when they practically GAVE briskets away. Now, all I can do is run by the beef section.Sad
SEEMEFIRST
8/1/2022 1:25pm
plowboy wrote:
"Whole packer briskets"...look here fellas...we got a millionaire in our midst:woohoo: . I remember when they practically GAVE briskets away. Now, all I can do is...
"Whole packer briskets"...look here fellas...we got a millionaire in our midstWoohoo . I remember when they practically GAVE briskets away. Now, all I can do is run by the beef section.Sad
It wasn't that long ago that brisket was dog food until someone figured out how to cook it.
ns503
8/1/2022 2:35pm
With the economy tanking we are all looking to save some cash and i was wondering if you guys use any bulk retailers like Sam's, Costco...

peelout wrote:
i go to Costco. unless i see someone i know, i act like i'm deaf.

also, Costco's filet-mignons are better than sex
I've had some damned tasty meals in my 60 years. But don't think I've been able to say that about them and mean it.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1106th
8/1/2022 3:46pm
plowboy wrote:
"Whole packer briskets"...look here fellas...we got a millionaire in our midst:woohoo: . I remember when they practically GAVE briskets away. Now, all I can do is...
Motocross and smoking meats are two of my favorite hobbies. Costco has become my Rocky Mountain ATV for all meats and seafood.
Also, Costco is the one of the few places around here that have fresh tri-tips (marinated in a bag). I posted one in the "Home Cooking" thread.
Just got home from Costco, picked up a whole brisket $4.29/lb. Smoking it for a family camping trip this week. They also had baby back ribs $2.99/lb. Which made me sad cuz I paid $3.99/lb last week lol. Either way, I'm addicted to Costco.

Post a reply to: Sam's club and other bulk stores

The Latest