Roy "Doc" Halladay

Related:
Create New Tag

11/8/2017 2:31 PM

Can't believe the Doc is gone, as a Jays fan growing up he was always incredible to watch. Just a humble dude who could throw like nobody's business. RIP Doc.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


11/8/2017 3:51 PM

I saw that earlier this morning. I don't follow baseball but the name rang a bell so I clicked on the article and sure enough it was the same guy I was thinking of.

Here's a video of the accident. You don't actually see it go down but you see him showing off just before he obviously lost control of it and crashed. He kept getting close to the water, up again, down close to the water, etc.

Plane he was piloting was an Icon A5.

Photo


Warning: Heavy use of foul language.



Aftermath

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/8/2017 4:44 PM

When I was doing free lessons (worked at the airport out of high school) I learned an old adage...

There are old pilots and bold pilots but very few old bold pilots.

Prayers for his friends and family. sad

|

11/9/2017 3:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 3:08 AM

So in that situation do you Jump in the water and try to locate the pilot or stand there and videotape??? What if he drowned or....was trapped and not dead yet. I don’t know anything about those A5s but they’re like a tin can. They some sort of ultra light ?

|

GP740
Since 1987

11/9/2017 5:41 AM

Very sad.

|

Osama Bin Mixin - Head of the 2-stroke Taliban

11/9/2017 6:18 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I saw that earlier this morning. I don't follow baseball but the name rang a bell so I clicked on the article and sure enough it was the same guy I was thinking of.

Here's a video of the accident. You don't actually see it go down but you see him showing off just before he obviously lost control of it and crashed. He kept getting close to the water, up again, down close to the water, etc.

Plane he was piloting was an Icon A5.

Photo


Warning: Heavy use of foul language.



Aftermath

That just doesn't seem like something Roy would do, he wasn't flashy on the field, by all accounts a very humble guy, makes me wonder if there was a problem with the plane or him.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R


11/9/2017 7:51 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

So in that situation do you Jump in the water and try to locate the pilot or stand there and videotape??? What if he drowned or....was trapped and not dead yet. I don’t know anything about those A5s but they’re like a tin can. They some sort of ultra light ?

I haven't looked into the plane but just looking at the way it's designed it looks like it could float on water. Bottom of it almost looks like a jet ski.

As for what to do in that situation that's hard to tell. Everyone reacts differently. The guy filming was obviously in shock and didn't know what to do with himself, others might have immediately jumped in the water to look for him.

Looking at the plane after the crash I say he knocked himself out cold on the glass and drowned.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/9/2017 8:03 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I saw that earlier this morning. I don't follow baseball but the name rang a bell so I clicked on the article and sure enough it was the same guy I was thinking of.

Here's a video of the accident. You don't actually see it go down but you see him showing off just before he obviously lost control of it and crashed. He kept getting close to the water, up again, down close to the water, etc.

Plane he was piloting was an Icon A5.

Photo


Warning: Heavy use of foul language.



Aftermath

bh84 wrote:

That just doesn't seem like something Roy would do, he wasn't flashy on the field, by all accounts a very humble guy, makes me wonder if there was a problem with the plane or him.

I obviously don't know him personally but just because he wasn't flashy out on the field it doesn't mean he wasn't a totally different person off the field. Don't forget that when he was on the field he was there to do a job.

Personally I don't think there was anything wrong with the plane. My guess is that he was simply having fun just like most of us do on a dirt bike and he unfortunately lost control of the airplane and crashed. Difference being his accident was at a much higher speed than us dirt bikers and over water.

Like I previously mentioned, he probably got knocked out cold when the plane hit the water and his lungs filled up with water and drowned. It's sad but if that's what happened at least he was out cold. I couldn't imagine drowning while still being conscious and trapped. Horrible way to go.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/9/2017 10:08 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I obviously don't know him personally but just because he wasn't flashy out on the field it doesn't mean he wasn't a totally different person off the field. Don't forget that when he was on the field he was there to do a job.

Personally I don't think there was anything wrong with the plane. My guess is that he was simply having fun just like most of us do on a dirt bike and he unfortunately lost control of the airplane and crashed. Difference being his accident was at a much higher speed than us dirt bikers and over water.

Like I previously mentioned, he probably got knocked out cold when the plane hit the water and his lungs filled up with water and drowned. It's sad but if that's what happened at least he was out cold. I couldn't imagine drowning while still being conscious and trapped. Horrible way to go.

Could have drowned, or could have been trauma. The water depth was only 4 feet, wouldn't be hard to have been driven into the bottom.

Here's the take of a couple of classless jerks on sports radio:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boston-radio-host-michael-felger-moron-roy-halladay-got-what-he-deserved/

|

11/9/2017 10:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 10:52 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

So in that situation do you Jump in the water and try to locate the pilot or stand there and videotape??? What if he drowned or....was trapped and not dead yet. I don’t know anything about those A5s but they’re like a tin can. They some sort of ultra light ?

I was thinking the same thing. How about instead of sitting there holding your fucking camera saying Oh My God, get in the fucking water and try to keep him from drowning! Son of a bitch! I don't care how you react. If you can't help but react like the guy holding the camera at least have the decency not to post the video of you letting someone drown! That video actually pisses me off so much I'm actually shaking!

|

11/9/2017 10:50 AM

bh84 wrote:

That just doesn't seem like something Roy would do, he wasn't flashy on the field, by all accounts a very humble guy, makes me wonder if there was a problem with the plane or him.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I obviously don't know him personally but just because he wasn't flashy out on the field it doesn't mean he wasn't a totally different person off the field. Don't forget that when he was on the field he was there to do a job.

Personally I don't think there was anything wrong with the plane. My guess is that he was simply having fun just like most of us do on a dirt bike and he unfortunately lost control of the airplane and crashed. Difference being his accident was at a much higher speed than us dirt bikers and over water.

Like I previously mentioned, he probably got knocked out cold when the plane hit the water and his lungs filled up with water and drowned. It's sad but if that's what happened at least he was out cold. I couldn't imagine drowning while still being conscious and trapped. Horrible way to go.

APLMAN99 wrote:

Could have drowned, or could have been trauma. The water depth was only 4 feet, wouldn't be hard to have been driven into the bottom.

Here's the take of a couple of classless jerks on sports radio:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boston-radio-host-michael-felger-moron-roy-halladay-got-what-he-deserved/

Yeah, I saw that headline earlier and decided not to click on it. Not worth it. Saying he got what he deserve is classless. The guy was just out enjoying his day. He didn't do anything wrong. It's not like he killed someone or raped a bunch of people.

Hopefully that guy will be disciplined properly and offer an apology.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/9/2017 11:05 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

So in that situation do you Jump in the water and try to locate the pilot or stand there and videotape??? What if he drowned or....was trapped and not dead yet. I don’t know anything about those A5s but they’re like a tin can. They some sort of ultra light ?

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. How about instead of sitting there holding your fucking camera saying Oh My God, get in the fucking water and try to keep him from drowning! Son of a bitch! I don't care how you react. If you can't help but react like the guy holding the camera at least have the decency not to post the video of you letting someone drown! That video actually pisses me off so much I'm actually shaking!

Well to be fair it's not like he was exactly standing there filming the guy and watching him drown. Who knows how much time passed before anyone got to the crash site. Could of been 2 minutes or 20 minutes.

I remember several months ago there was a story I believe took place in Florida where three teens saw a guy drowning and instead of helping him or calling for help they just stood there watching the guy struggle for his life, laughing at him and telling him he was going to die. The guy in the water lost his life and I believe the teens were eventually charged for something.

I'll admit that I don't know much of anything about planes but being in a plane cockpit is it even possible to open one up from the outside? I have a feeling it can only be open from the inside for safety reasons.

Say he was knocked out on impact and the cockpit filled up with water there's not much anyone could of done to help him out. That's assuming it can only be opened from the inside.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/9/2017 11:22 AM

The guy who designed that plane also died in the same plane design back in May. So yes, there is something fundamentally flawed with this design.

The A5 is an amphibious plane that can take off from the water and be towed with its wings folded.

In April, another pilot made a hard water landing with his A5 off Key Largo, telling investigators that the plane came down faster than he'd expected.

|

11/9/2017 11:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 11:48 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

So in that situation do you Jump in the water and try to locate the pilot or stand there and videotape??? What if he drowned or....was trapped and not dead yet. I don’t know anything about those A5s but they’re like a tin can. They some sort of ultra light ?

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. How about instead of sitting there holding your fucking camera saying Oh My God, get in the fucking water and try to keep him from drowning! Son of a bitch! I don't care how you react. If you can't help but react like the guy holding the camera at least have the decency not to post the video of you letting someone drown! That video actually pisses me off so much I'm actually shaking!

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Well to be fair it's not like he was exactly standing there filming the guy and watching him drown. Who knows how much time passed before anyone got to the crash site. Could of been 2 minutes or 20 minutes.

I remember several months ago there was a story I believe took place in Florida where three teens saw a guy drowning and instead of helping him or calling for help they just stood there watching the guy struggle for his life, laughing at him and telling him he was going to die. The guy in the water lost his life and I believe the teens were eventually charged for something.

I'll admit that I don't know much of anything about planes but being in a plane cockpit is it even possible to open one up from the outside? I have a feeling it can only be open from the inside for safety reasons.

Say he was knocked out on impact and the cockpit filled up with water there's not much anyone could of done to help him out. That's assuming it can only be opened from the inside.

On a small plane like that it could have been VERY easy to get his head above water. Sure, he might have died on impact but he also might have just gotten knocked out, or simply couldn't unhook his belt. From what I saw not one person was in there checking on him. Shameful! Imagine one of your family members. Like I said, if I was the one taking the video of me not doing a fucking thing (would never happen) to even check on the status of whoever was in the water, that video would certainly never see the light of day.

|

11/9/2017 11:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 11:59 AM

He probably could't wait to send that video into TMZ to see how much money they would give him for it.

|

11/9/2017 12:14 PM

TXDirt wrote:

The guy who designed that plane also died in the same plane design back in May. So yes, there is something fundamentally flawed with this design.

The A5 is an amphibious plane that can take off from the water and be towed with its wings folded.

In April, another pilot made a hard water landing with his A5 off Key Largo, telling investigators that the plane came down faster than he'd expected.

They say that the designer/test pilot of the plane went into a box canyon that he mistook for a different canyon. The plane wouldn't have had the ability to climb out of that canyon and the pilot would have known that if he realized which canyon it was. That was deemed pilot error, and sounds correct. That one wasn't anything flawed with the plane itself.

|

11/9/2017 12:18 PM

The bro doing the filming asking if anyone had or would call 911 was pretty stupid. He couldn't put it down long enough to even do that. Obviously when he initially saw the plane crash, he didn't even think to do it right then.

|

11/9/2017 12:21 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

He probably could't wait to send that video into TMZ to see how much money they would give him for it.

Probably. Like I said, everyone reacts differently. I'm the helping type so I would of done what I could to try and help.

I don't know but if I had just seen a plane crash my first reaction would of been to race to the scene of the accident and see what's up. Not take my cell phone out and film the crash site. Film the guy in the plane having fun absolutely but the crash site? WTF is up with that. I'm sure a lot of people would have the same reaction. Some on the other hand are just too busy trying to get their Instagram following up.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/9/2017 12:34 PM

I totally understand that not everyone has the intestinal fortitude to jump in and try to help. But, this idiot had time to think about things afterwards and it never occurred to him that he might have been sitting there watching a guy drown right in front of him and even more than that he thought it was perfectly fine to send video evidence in to TMZ of that fact. It makes me just want to beat the living holy hell out of that son of a bitch.

|

11/9/2017 12:57 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I totally understand that not everyone has the intestinal fortitude to jump in and try to help. But, this idiot had time to think about things afterwards and it never occurred to him that he might have been sitting there watching a guy drown right in front of him and even more than that he thought it was perfectly fine to send video evidence in to TMZ of that fact. It makes me just want to beat the living holy hell out of that son of a bitch.

I understand what you're saying. He literally witnessed the plane crash and instead of calling 911 and letting them know about it he proceeds to go to the crash site and not only film it but ask the people around if they had or could call 911.

He had plenty of time himself to make that call.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/9/2017 1:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 1:21 PM

Ive picked up bodies from incidents like that. I can almost assure you he died of blunt force trauma, well, everywhere.

John Denver died in a similar manner, total bummer.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

11/9/2017 1:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 1:34 PM

I've been on crash investigations where I couldn't find pieces bigger than fingers and clumps of meat. But a small plane incident like that can be VERY survivable. You have to at LEAST try. I had a buddy at Myrtle Beach who had a banner towing service over the beaches. He ditched 3 or 4 planes in the water in time that I knew him (basically flying junk pulling them banners).

|

11/9/2017 1:45 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I've been on crash investigations where I couldn't find pieces bigger than fingers and clumps of meat. But a small plane incident like that can be VERY survivable. You have to at LEAST try. I had a buddy at Myrtle Beach who had a banner towing service over the beaches. He ditched 3 or 4 planes in the water in time that I knew him (basically flying junk pulling them banners).

Ive done those too, flat shovel and crash bag. Try going back into the prep room afterward and putting it all back together. dizzy

You are sure right though, theres always a chance and it was never attempted.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

11/9/2017 3:31 PM

XXVoid MainXX wrote:

I totally understand that not everyone has the intestinal fortitude to jump in and try to help. But, this idiot had time to think about things afterwards and it never occurred to him that he might have been sitting there watching a guy drown right in front of him and even more than that he thought it was perfectly fine to send video evidence in to TMZ of that fact. It makes me just want to beat the living holy hell out of that son of a bitch.

That was a strange reaction by the guy with the camera. Sure, everyone reacts differently in a crisis, but there is no way in hell I could have stayed in that boat! I mean, something in the most primitive recesses of my brain would have thrown my body into the water before I even knew it was happening! In all likelihood the efforts would have been for naught, but you gotta fight for that 1% chance.

It's not being boastful or "manning-up"; it's simply instinctive. No way that dude with the camera rides!

|

"You can't resist the louder pull..."

11/9/2017 8:31 PM

That video kind of reminds me of the Las Vegas aftermath video of the dude just walkng around asking people if they are hurt and doing nothing.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!