Rossi

JPT
|
XXVoid MainXX
3/15/2018 4:21pm
I'm sure if Rossi wanted to hang it up after one year Yamaha would let him out of it. Smile Hope the old man doesn't hang it up any time soon though.
Uncle Tony
3/15/2018 5:31pm
Agostini I believe has 122 wins and Rossi 115, in sure he wants that record
XXVoid MainXX
3/15/2018 5:37pm
Can't imagine he will win 7 more times at this point. I would be very happy to see 1 or 2 more though!

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2231st
3/15/2018 7:11pm
Heard that when he went back to Yamaha after Ducati they didn't have the money to pay him what he wanted because they didn't have a title sponsor at the time so he worked it out that he gets a percentage of the team sponsorship which went way up after he joined. Now it's rumored he's the highest paid rider in MotoGP, more than the 4 time reigning champ. The sport is better with him out there.
G-man
3/15/2018 9:20pm
Vale is freaking amazing he will be racing against the best riders in the world in his forties!

The GOAT without a doubt.
JPT
3/15/2018 10:19pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Agostini I believe has 122 wins and Rossi 115, in sure he wants that record
Not knocking Ago, cause he was amazing, but he rode both the 350 and 500 class most of the years he raced. And the MV didn't have much competition in much of that time. Catching that number would be a hell of an accomplishment.

I got to see Ago at Daytona in 74. Climbed on that TZ700, they dropped the flag and he just left.
Uncle Tony
3/16/2018 7:25am
Can't imagine he will win 7 more times at this point. I would be very happy to see 1 or 2 more though!
I think he'll get close, remember he needs 8 to beat the record, I don't know man, I wish him luck
BMSOBx2
3/16/2018 9:30am
If Yamaha doesn't significantly improve their package this year he'll be gone after 1. They're already grooming Zarco for that spot anyways. Will be interesting to see if the satellite Yamahas can beat the factory this year.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/16/2018 9:34am
BMSOBx2 wrote:
If Yamaha doesn't significantly improve their package this year he'll be gone after 1. They're already grooming Zarco for that spot anyways. Will be interesting to...
If Yamaha doesn't significantly improve their package this year he'll be gone after 1. They're already grooming Zarco for that spot anyways. Will be interesting to see if the satellite Yamahas can beat the factory this year.
Zarco - KTM
BMSOBx2
3/16/2018 5:23pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
If Yamaha doesn't significantly improve their package this year he'll be gone after 1. They're already grooming Zarco for that spot anyways. Will be interesting to...
early wrote:
Zarco - KTM
I think not. Zarco wants to win. KTMs a few years away. You can't waste that talent. Gotta strike while the Iron's hot.
3/16/2018 9:13pm
early wrote:
Heard that when he went back to Yamaha after Ducati they didn't have the money to pay him what he wanted because they didn't have a...
Heard that when he went back to Yamaha after Ducati they didn't have the money to pay him what he wanted because they didn't have a title sponsor at the time so he worked it out that he gets a percentage of the team sponsorship which went way up after he joined. Now it's rumored he's the highest paid rider in MotoGP, more than the 4 time reigning champ. The sport is better with him out there.
Ducati has Marlboro money backing them. And now Audi. They are never short on funds.

Rossi left because Ducati at the time was being run poorly and his brand was suffering tremendously.

I dont know if he's the highest paid rider currently. But he basically owns the merchandising of every rider in the paddock. So yeah, if you count that, he's definitely making the most. He's got his hands in every rider's pocket.
3/16/2018 9:16pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
He only wanted to do a 1 year extension. As a way of leveraging Yamaha to put in the proper effort in the race program.

It wouldnt surprise me to see him race another 4 years tho. It all depends on if Yamaha can get their shit together. They need to let Rossi steer the development. When they do, the bike gets better.

They let Vinales have his way last year and we see where that got things. But Vinales brings with him the team's title sponsor so those politics are playing a factor.

3/16/2018 9:17pm
I think if Yamaha gives him the bike, he's capable of winning a championship or two still.

But that seems to be a big "if" these days.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/16/2018 9:28pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
I think not. Zarco wants to win. KTMs a few years away. You can't waste that talent. Gotta strike while the Iron's hot.
Yeah, it depends what Vinales does since they already signed Rossi does Vinales keep playing second fiddle or move on. Same with Honda, Marc Marquez is their guy (rightfully) so anyone on the team with him is expected not to take the title from him. That leaves Ducati, KTM, Suzuki and Aprilia. It will be interesting to see where everybody ends up for 2019.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/16/2018 9:30pm
Ducati has Marlboro money backing them. And now Audi. They are never short on funds. Rossi left because Ducati at the time was being run poorly...
Ducati has Marlboro money backing them. And now Audi. They are never short on funds.

Rossi left because Ducati at the time was being run poorly and his brand was suffering tremendously.

I dont know if he's the highest paid rider currently. But he basically owns the merchandising of every rider in the paddock. So yeah, if you count that, he's definitely making the most. He's got his hands in every rider's pocket.
I meant Yamaha didn't have the money at the time, not Ducati, hence the deal where he gets a direct cut of the money he's bringing into Yamaha. I think it was David Emmet talking about it on a podcast.
3/16/2018 9:39pm
early wrote:
Yeah, it depends what Vinales does since they already signed Rossi does Vinales keep playing second fiddle or move on. Same with Honda, Marc Marquez is...
Yeah, it depends what Vinales does since they already signed Rossi does Vinales keep playing second fiddle or move on. Same with Honda, Marc Marquez is their guy (rightfully) so anyone on the team with him is expected not to take the title from him. That leaves Ducati, KTM, Suzuki and Aprilia. It will be interesting to see where everybody ends up for 2019.
Vinales is locked up with Yamaha already. He brings the title sponsor with him (Movistar) so that plays a role in where he ends up.

Redbull / KTM will make a run at Marquez if Repsol ever lose their grip.

Zarco's options are to stay at Yamaha (on a 3rd Factory Bike with their new satellite team)
Honda is VERY interested (but they also are eyeing Dovi)
Ducati (if they lose Dovi & JLo) and Suzuki (#1 bike) are both publicly expressing interest
And both KTM teams want Zarco's services

I hope he sticks with Tech3. I honestly think they have the inside track. Zarco loves that team's structure/atmosphere.

Aprilia is in the running for Iannone or Petrucci. They dont have the money to stay in the Zarco sweepstakes.
3/16/2018 9:46pm
early wrote:
I meant Yamaha didn't have the money at the time, not Ducati, hence the deal where he gets a direct cut of the money he's bringing...
I meant Yamaha didn't have the money at the time, not Ducati, hence the deal where he gets a direct cut of the money he's bringing into Yamaha. I think it was David Emmet talking about it on a podcast.
I see. Now I understand what you meant.

Movistar is Yamaha's title sponsor and that was brought in by Vinales. This is the first time in his Yamaha career in which Rossi didnt bring in the title sponsor.

Then again, Vinales is managed by Rossi's management team. So he is getting a his piece of the pie. But he has far less control than he's ever had in the past like when he had FIAT.

Rossi's control these days comes from his development abilities & marketability to Yamaha. And the fact that he owns the exclusive rights to all the merchandising in MotoGP. Every other rider has to go thru him to get their merchandise sold at the races. The only guy that didnt have to "pay the toll" was Nicky Hayden (due to their friendship).

This was the untold story during the Lorenzo and later Marquez feuds. Rossi has the ability to pull their merchandise from the pits at the races. Thus severely hurting their revenue and marketability. Rossi's control in the paddock is unlike anything we've ever seen in motorsport. Pretty interesting dynamic huh?

It's actually a wonder he doesnt abuse his power more.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/16/2018 9:58pm
I see. Now I understand what you meant. Movistar is Yamaha's title sponsor and that was brought in by Vinales. This is the first time in...

Movistar is Yamaha's title sponsor and that was brought in by Vinales. This is the first time in his Yamaha career in which Rossi didnt bring in the title sponsor.

Then again, Vinales is managed by Rossi's management team. So he is getting a his piece of the pie. But he has far less control than he's ever had in the past like when he had FIAT.

Rossi's control these days comes from his development abilities & marketability to Yamaha. And the fact that he owns the exclusive rights to all the merchandising in MotoGP. Every other rider has to go thru him to get their merchandise sold at the races. The only guy that didnt have to "pay the toll" was Nicky Hayden (due to their friendship).

This was the untold story during the Lorenzo and later Marquez feuds. Rossi has the ability to pull their merchandise from the pits at the races. Thus severely hurting their revenue and marketability. Rossi's control in the paddock is unlike anything we've ever seen in motorsport. Pretty interesting dynamic huh?

Pretty funny how the season hasn't even started yet and we are talking about where everyone will be next year! It's a great time for GP roadracing!
3/16/2018 10:03pm
early wrote:
Pretty funny how the season hasn't even started yet and we are talking about where everyone will be next year! It's a great time for GP...
Pretty funny how the season hasn't even started yet and we are talking about where everyone will be next year! It's a great time for GP roadracing!
There was a time when Silly Season in MotoGP was the most interesting aspect of the sport.

Now? First we have the current championship that is underway, in which we've never had so many contenders. It's fucking awesome.

Secondly, the Rider Silly Season seems to start earlier every year and is ALWAYS entertaining as hell.

And THIRD is the newest angle, which is the Satellite Team Silly Season. Who is going to end up with the Yamaha gig? Will Suzuki finally land a support team? Aprilia?

MotoGP might be the best run sport in the world right now.
XXVoid MainXX
3/18/2018 5:27pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 5:29pm
I think if Yamaha gives him the bike, he's capable of winning a championship or two still. But that seems to be a big "if" these...
I think if Yamaha gives him the bike, he's capable of winning a championship or two still.

But that seems to be a big "if" these days.
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that he could win another championship, but I don't believe it would come by winning the most races. It would happen by being Mr consistent, not making any mistakes, and ending up on the podium every race. He's started off well.
3/18/2018 6:19pm
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that he could win another championship, but I don't believe it would come by winning the...
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that he could win another championship, but I don't believe it would come by winning the most races. It would happen by being Mr consistent, not making any mistakes, and ending up on the podium every race. He's started off well.
That's pretty much the only way to win a title these days.

The bikes are all so good and so are the riders. It's hard for anyone to run away with a championship.
tunedlength
3/18/2018 9:39pm
early wrote:
I meant Yamaha didn't have the money at the time, not Ducati, hence the deal where he gets a direct cut of the money he's bringing...
I see. Now I understand what you meant. Movistar is Yamaha's title sponsor and that was brought in by Vinales. This is the first time in...

Not sure how Rossi could do that unless all the riders used VR46.
VR46 has no sway over competing merch companies like Gruppo Pretilli.
3/18/2018 10:37pm
Not sure how Rossi could do that unless all the riders used VR46.
VR46 has no sway over competing merch companies like Gruppo Pretilli.
Marquez was originally with VR46 merchandising. Naturally, he jumped ship when the politics came into play.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/marquez-confirms-merchandising-s…

It is my understanding that VR46 has an exclusive agreement with Dorna for all merchandise sold at the races. Gruppo Pritelli products are sold, but thru the VR46 managed vendors. I could be very wrong about that tho.

Post a reply to: Rossi

The Latest