Rolling Blackouts This Summer

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2022 8:09 AM

So that sounds pretty scary....

Anybody had any yet?

|

6/16/2022 8:27 AM

So, California is exporting even more of its normal policies to other states.... great. ermm

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

6/16/2022 8:54 AM

When it happens, would it be too much to ask to be driving past a vehicle charging station, with a dozen or so coal burners sitting there stranded, waiting for the lights to come back on ??

|

#FMS

6/16/2022 9:01 AM

Plug all those ev’s in

|

6/16/2022 9:18 AM

once gas prices went up my neighbor has been driving his wife's Tesla to work to save on fuel. we were drinking beer one night and he was going on and on about it and how if there was a decent EV pickup they'd be all electric. anyway we've been having some power issues in our neighborhood they're updating a lot of stuff and our power is out most of the night every night for like 4-5 days straight. i couldn't help but chuckle that he was driving his truck for the entire week because they couldn't get the Tesla charged up.

but yeah, let's completely ditch combustion for electric, what's the worst that could happen... oh yeah...

|

6/16/2022 9:28 AM

If you think you’re gonna be affects by Rolling Black-outs?

Get a decent 7.5KW or better generator!

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

6/16/2022 9:47 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Exactly! Have an 8.5 that runs on propane or gas. Just need to install the transfer switch.

Of course by then I’ll be paying 100.00 to fill it up, lol…

|

6/16/2022 10:01 AM

Just picked one up at Costco last weekend. I'll still need to get the electrical on the side of the house to use it.
Probably have to use the generator to power the lights while I do the electrical in the middle of the night during a blackout because I procrastinated and didn't do it when I didn't need it. LOL
TM

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler®

6/16/2022 10:58 AM

Photo

Based on the Biden administration success with the war on fossil fuel I predict firewood is going to make a big comeback. Old wood gas technology is the future.
|

6/16/2022 11:29 AM

SCR wrote: Photo

Based on the Biden administration success with the war on fossil fuel I predict firewood is going to make a big comeback. ...more

Funny enough, I've been getting at least a few pieces of firewood taken care of every day. I'm all set for next year and working on the winter after that now.

I figure with the price of gas firewood is only going to cost more and more to get, getting it now is basically an investment! laughing

|

6/16/2022 11:46 AM

Probably wont be long until they outlaw fireplaces. Too many emissions.

|

6/16/2022 12:24 PM

To top it off, California has banned sales of gas-powered generators beginning in 2024. Real buncha geniuses running this state. The legislation was introduced by a Silicon Valley state elected official (where they are building tons of diesel to run data centers).

|

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” ― Ernest Hemingway

6/16/2022 12:31 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

I’m seriously considering outfitting my van with around 10kWh worth of battery storage and solar on the roof to help keep it charged. I figure once my Stark arrives I’ll be able to keep it charged all day without having to lug a generator around, and in the event of rolling blackouts I’ll have enough storage to run a lot of basic essentials for a while at home. It’s about a $5k investment that I really should make right now but I figure stuff isn’t getting any cheaper. . .

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

6/16/2022 12:57 PM

MX915 wrote:

You live under a rock? They've already done that! Well at least in CA

|

6/16/2022 1:01 PM

ToolMaker wrote:

As much as i’d like to say thats unbelievable….i cant grin

|

6/16/2022 1:06 PM

ToolMaker wrote:

Are you telling me you can't burn wood for heat in CA?

|

6/16/2022 1:21 PM

MX915 wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:

LungButter wrote:

This is news to me, but like MX915 said, it's totally believable. They probably want us to use electric for everything, so it can be metered, measured and taxed appropriately. After all, the state coffers only have a $100B surplus. Gavin Newsom probably doesn't feel like he's extorted us enough.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

6/16/2022 1:33 PM

|

6/16/2022 1:58 PM

I just read that on, the gateway pundit, website.

Two years ago we replaced our 500 gal propane tank with a 1,000 gal tank.
Had it buried out back.
We heat and cook with gas.

But since we owned the old tank, we just had them move it out next to our storage building.
We've been thinking about tying it in with a generator.
Now we might be doing more that just thinking about it.

I run a cabinet shop out of my house.
We lose power, I lose income.

|

#FMS

6/16/2022 3:18 PM

MX915 wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:

LungButter wrote:

Only if you have an older house. No permits for new construction with fireplace.

|

6/16/2022 3:20 PM

ToolMaker wrote:

LungButter wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:

Only if you have an older house. No permits for new construction with fireplace.

There are some municipalities that won't even give a permit for natural gas or propane. Electric only.

|

6/16/2022 8:46 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

20KW, enough to power the whole house with everything on. Power goes out and it starts automatically. Runs on natural gas, so no need to keep fresh gas on hand and you don't have to worry about draining if after you use it. cool

Photo

|

6/17/2022 9:27 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

7I3N wrote:

20KW, enough to power the whole house with everything on. Power goes out and it starts automatically. Runs on natural gas, so ...more

Natural gas genny's aren't really feasible here in CA. One good earthquake and the gas goes out for who knows how long. Since we have a type 1 diabetic kid we cannot go without a fridge. The one we have down here is a gas/propane model. I keep 3 bottles filled just for that purpose.

|

6/17/2022 9:37 AM

7I3N wrote:

20KW, enough to power the whole house with everything on. Power goes out and it starts automatically. Runs on natural gas, so ...more

Looks like a bad ass set up.

But I kinda agree with AvidChimp, your not exactly "off grid" with that setup.

I also agree with you, a traditional Gen is only as good as your gas supply.

No perfect answer, but anything is better than nothing!

|

6/17/2022 11:40 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

7I3N wrote:

LungButter wrote:

Looks like a bad ass set up.

But I kinda agree with AvidChimp, your not exactly "off grid" with that setup.

I also agree ...more

The perfect answer would be solar, a wind generator and a Tesla Powerwall. But that's a little outta my price range.

|

6/17/2022 1:18 PM

I don't know all the details, but I understand California is moving toward paying solar users less for their excess which they sell back to the grid. Couple that with solar panels which are mandated on every new home build, which the homeowner doesn't own but must instead rent, and the abolishment of wood-burning fireplaces, and we're almost at that point where California is just milking its citizens for every dime. You can't even argue that it's for the environment anymore; it's just all to pad the $100B budget surplus.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

6/17/2022 2:09 PM

Falcon wrote:

I don't know all the details, but I understand California is moving toward paying solar users less for their excess which they ...more

Off Topic but: have they been sending ya'll any rebate checks or anything?

Idaho has a pretty big surplus and I just got a check in the mail for damn near $1k....I don't want to get in the weeds of arguing whether that's right or wrong, just curious if CA does the same?

|

6/17/2022 3:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/17/2022 3:08 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

We get our power turned off for several days at a time by PG&E in the late Summer due to "fire danger". Generator cost around $1K, then it burns about 6 gallons in 8 hours. 18 gallons in a 24 hour period. So with gas at about $6 a gallon it costs over $100 a day to run if you run it all night. That ain't cheap, especially considering I put enough solar panels on my house to where I don't usually have a power bill at all.... So running my generator for 1 day costs about what my entire yearly power bill would be.

So yeah, not excited about the generator solution. Plus the generators are friggin fire hazards for sure by themselves, people messing around gas, running hot engines out near tall grasses, etc.

|

6/17/2022 5:41 PM

Falcon wrote:

I don't know all the details, but I understand California is moving toward paying solar users less for their excess which they ...more

LungButter wrote:

Off Topic but: have they been sending ya'll any rebate checks or anything?

Idaho has a pretty big surplus and I just got a ...more

They are still trying to figure out how they are going to give back the surplus. There have been some pretty off the wall ideas so far.

You can still burn wood in California for heat. Some municipalities have made it very difficult if not impossible to add a wood burning stove or utilize them though.

|

6/18/2022 6:23 PM

Power outages are common where i live in Riverside. Just bought a used 5K generator. Bring it on! Last outage I didn't have one and the power was out for 3 days. Nothing like reading a book by the fire like Abraham Lincoln.

|