Roger Federer the GOAT

rutsmash
7/17/2017 12:40am
After Roger (the stud that he is) winning his 19th major today, I was reading some articles about him and I happened on this one. Its funny the author describes him as the GOAT (he doesn't spell it out which is terrible journalistic craft) with no reference to what that means. So I thought this guy must be a moto fan who also covers tennis..!? ha ha, just don't see GOAT much or is this a common term used for others in motorsports? http://www.gq.com/story/roger-federer-cover-story-2017
|
IWreckALot
7/17/2017 5:16am
Roger Federer is a true master of his craft. There are younger more powerful and athletic players, but Roger just executes his shot so much better than these guys especially considering his age. Not saying he isn't in phenomenal shape by any means though.

He's also one of the genuinely good people found as a high profile celebrity/ athlete.

As far as the GOAT thing, I've seen it mentioned in a few other sports, but as far as I'm concerned, it's become one of those stupid "buzzwords" in the MX industry. Just overused and annoying to hear.
TDeath21
7/17/2017 2:57pm
One of the few sports where there is an undisputed GOAT. I'd say hockey and MX are the other two off the top of my head that also do.
7/19/2017 1:11pm
rutsmash wrote:
After Roger (the stud that he is) winning his 19th major today, I was reading some articles about him and I happened on this one. Its...
After Roger (the stud that he is) winning his 19th major today, I was reading some articles about him and I happened on this one. Its funny the author describes him as the GOAT (he doesn't spell it out which is terrible journalistic craft) with no reference to what that means. So I thought this guy must be a moto fan who also covers tennis..!? ha ha, just don't see GOAT much or is this a common term used for others in motorsports? http://www.gq.com/story/roger-federer-cover-story-2017
They started using GOAT with Michael Jordan in basketball during the early 90's.

It's not a term that is exclusive to MX or motorsports for that matter. And certainly didnt originate here.
7/19/2017 1:40pm
TDeath21 wrote:
One of the few sports where there is an undisputed GOAT. I'd say hockey and MX are the other two off the top of my head...
One of the few sports where there is an undisputed GOAT. I'd say hockey and MX are the other two off the top of my head that also do.
How did you leave out the original GOAT? Michael Jordan.

Plenty in tennis dispute Roger's claim to GOAT status. Honestly, I dont think we've seen the true GOAT yet. Agassi couldve been that guy but his personal issues & love/hate relationship with the game didnt allow him to reach his full potential.

Part of making a GOAT is timing. Agassi was playing in a really great era where had he been able to dominate another great like Sampras, it wouldve allowed us to measure Agassi against any other great from before or after. RC is the GOAT of MX because he took down McGrath, beat CR, and held off Bubba. He basically dominated 3 legitimate Hall-of-Famers over a multi-era career. The only question mark is Everts and that's more a knock on Everts than RC.

GOAT = best there's ever been, and ever will be

You cant say without a doubt that there will never be another player better than Roger Federer. He's special, but not THAT special.

We will be hard pressed to see another MX racer with RC's talent/drive get the opportunity to showcase it against consecutive greats like he did. Lining up MC, CR, and Bubba all in a row is such a anomaly.

Many tennis fans dispute Roger's status as GOAT due to the fact that he's rarely beaten a top opponent in his Grand Slam Finals matches. IMO, you have to make it there and deliver, which he has. So I dont hold it against him in a HoF debate. But it does get held against him in the GOAT argument the same way we hold it against Chad Reed for never actually beating RC or Bubba straight up.

Just because Fed isnt the GOAT is NOT a knock against him.

To be legitimately listed in the same sentence as Serena, Bjorg, Agassi, Sampras, and Nadal etc as a legitimate All-Time great is massive in itself. There's no shame in falling short of GOAT status. Especially when it's out of his control in some respects.

The Shop

7/19/2017 1:44pm
If you aint the Michael Jordan of your sport, you aint the GOAT.

Basketball - MJ
MotoGP - Rossi
MX - RC
Swimming - Phelps

F1 - Schumacher (tho some would argue it was Senna)
Baseball - we havent seen it yet
Football - it shoulda been Bo Jackson
Hockey - Wayne (but this is heavily debated)
Tennis - Serena is the closest thing
Soccer - Pele?

Honestly, if it's even debatable, then your sport hasnt seen it's GOAT yet.
TDeath21
7/20/2017 9:34am
TDeath21 wrote:
One of the few sports where there is an undisputed GOAT. I'd say hockey and MX are the other two off the top of my head...
How did you leave out the original GOAT? Michael Jordan. Plenty in tennis dispute Roger's claim to GOAT status. Honestly, I dont think we've seen the...
How did you leave out the original GOAT? Michael Jordan.

Plenty in tennis dispute Roger's claim to GOAT status. Honestly, I dont think we've seen the true GOAT yet. Agassi couldve been that guy but his personal issues & love/hate relationship with the game didnt allow him to reach his full potential.

Part of making a GOAT is timing. Agassi was playing in a really great era where had he been able to dominate another great like Sampras, it wouldve allowed us to measure Agassi against any other great from before or after. RC is the GOAT of MX because he took down McGrath, beat CR, and held off Bubba. He basically dominated 3 legitimate Hall-of-Famers over a multi-era career. The only question mark is Everts and that's more a knock on Everts than RC.

GOAT = best there's ever been, and ever will be

You cant say without a doubt that there will never be another player better than Roger Federer. He's special, but not THAT special.

We will be hard pressed to see another MX racer with RC's talent/drive get the opportunity to showcase it against consecutive greats like he did. Lining up MC, CR, and Bubba all in a row is such a anomaly.

Many tennis fans dispute Roger's status as GOAT due to the fact that he's rarely beaten a top opponent in his Grand Slam Finals matches. IMO, you have to make it there and deliver, which he has. So I dont hold it against him in a HoF debate. But it does get held against him in the GOAT argument the same way we hold it against Chad Reed for never actually beating RC or Bubba straight up.

Just because Fed isnt the GOAT is NOT a knock against him.

To be legitimately listed in the same sentence as Serena, Bjorg, Agassi, Sampras, and Nadal etc as a legitimate All-Time great is massive in itself. There's no shame in falling short of GOAT status. Especially when it's out of his control in some respects.

Federer is without question the GOAT of tennis.

Most Grand Slam Titles? Federer at 19. Next closest? 15.

Most Finals appearances? Federer at 29. Next closest? 22.

Most consecutive Finals reached? Federer at 10. Next closest? Federer at 8. Next closest? 6. Those 10 and 8 were only broken up by one semifinal loss. So it was 18 out of 19.

Most consecutive Semi-Finals reached? Federer at 23. Next closest? 14.

Most consecutive Quarter-Finals reached? Federer at 36. Next closest? 28.

Most consecutive weeks ranked number 1? Federer at 237. Next closest? 160.

Most total weeks ranked number 1? Federer at 302. Next closest? 286.

There is, at this point in time, no debate when it comes to the GOAT of tennis.

Post a reply to: Roger Federer the GOAT

The Latest