Right turn on red ticket, pay it or fight it ?

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2022 4:21pm
One of the guys that works for me got a $250 ticket today for turning right on a red light. There’s a sign that clearly says no right turn on red between 7 AM and 9 AM Monday through Friday. Then underneath that sign is another sign that says “School Days”. So here’s the catch, there was no school today. Here’s a picture of the sign, what do think ? Think he has a chance to beat it because today wasn’t a school day ? He has documented proof that there was no school today. What would you do ?
Poll

Pay it or Fight it.

Choices
|
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
11/1/2021 2:55pm
What time did he turn/get ticketed? Had to ask...

If not during those hours and no school, fight the shit out of that one.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
11/1/2021 3:24pm
Just call the PD and speak with the traffic supervisor. They’ll most likely withdraw it so no ones time is wasted going to court.
APLMAN99
11/1/2021 3:28pm
If it's verifiable that there was no school, I think I'd definitely fight it. But first I'd do what agn says above, may not even have to fight it at all.

Was it officer issued or was it from a camera?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/1/2021 3:35pm
This depends on whether the court considers "Monday" a school day, or "days when children are in school" a school day.
Fight it. If nothing else, the judge may reduce the ticket.

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
11/1/2021 4:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2021 4:06pm
avidchimp wrote:
What time did he turn/get ticketed? Had to ask...

If not during those hours and no school, fight the shit out of that one.
It was between 7 & 9am. The "School Days" is what made me think he should fight it. I doubt the officer who wrote the ticket new (or cared ?) there was no school today. It was a motorcycle cop. He said the road was empty and he never saw the cop.
I said of course you didn't that's his job, go out and generate revenue, it's all they do. They don't help people, they don't chase bad guys ,they don't come to your house or aid if you're in trouble, all they do is generate revenue. Of course you didn't see him that's his job. Laughing He probably parks there everyday between 9 & 11 and 2 & 4, like his favorite fishing hole. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't gotten you before ...
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
11/1/2021 4:10pm
sumdood wrote:
It was between 7 & 9am. The "School Days" is what made me think he should fight it. I doubt the officer who wrote the ticket...
It was between 7 & 9am. The "School Days" is what made me think he should fight it. I doubt the officer who wrote the ticket new (or cared ?) there was no school today. It was a motorcycle cop. He said the road was empty and he never saw the cop.
I said of course you didn't that's his job, go out and generate revenue, it's all they do. They don't help people, they don't chase bad guys ,they don't come to your house or aid if you're in trouble, all they do is generate revenue. Of course you didn't see him that's his job. Laughing He probably parks there everyday between 9 & 11 and 2 & 4, like his favorite fishing hole. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't gotten you before ...
That's literally all motorcycle cops are on the streets to do. You should see how many of them are writing speeding/traffic violation tickets up in Agoura/Westlake Village. Literally bonkers how many I see on any given day.
peelout
11/1/2021 4:24pm
i got a ticket for turning right on a Red as well. turning left would take you over train tracks, there was a train, so obviously you're not turning left. i turned Right (there was a sign "no turn on red", didn't say left or right) and got pulled over. i simply stated "why can you not turn right?" and the cop wasn't having it so he gave me a ticket. i called a cop buddy and he took care of it for me. 2 weeks later that sign was changed to "no left turn on red".
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
11/1/2021 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2021 4:40pm
peelout wrote:
i got a ticket for turning right on a Red as well. turning left would take you over train tracks, there was a train, so obviously...
i got a ticket for turning right on a Red as well. turning left would take you over train tracks, there was a train, so obviously you're not turning left. i turned Right (there was a sign "no turn on red", didn't say left or right) and got pulled over. i simply stated "why can you not turn right?" and the cop wasn't having it so he gave me a ticket. i called a cop buddy and he took care of it for me. 2 weeks later that sign was changed to "no left turn on red".
Laughing The fact they'd make a sign that says "No left turn on red" says a lot... LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

If he fights it I won't be surprised if the "School Days" sign disappears
11/1/2021 4:55pm
I used a ticket fighting service for my last speeding ticket. The fines were going to be pretty steep but the service I used was $100 and got the ticket thrown out. Mr ticket is who I used, not sure if he is in your area though.
APLMAN99
11/1/2021 5:13pm
peelout wrote:
i got a ticket for turning right on a Red as well. turning left would take you over train tracks, there was a train, so obviously...
sumdood wrote:
:laugh: The fact they'd make a sign that says "No left turn on red" says a lot... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If he fights it I...
Laughing The fact they'd make a sign that says "No left turn on red" says a lot... LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

If he fights it I won't be surprised if the "School Days" sign disappears
There are a lot of people who think that they get a free left here when the left leads to a one-way going right to left. They ‘forget/don’t understand’ that a free left is only legal if you go from one one-way to another…..

Even our local LEOs don’t really understand it.
SEEMEFIRST
11/1/2021 7:07pm
Tell him to go talk with the judge.
If he's not a habitual offender, I bet he gets off.

That's how they roll around here anyway.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
11/1/2021 8:19pm
Yeah I got busted for turning right on red one time. Total load of BS. Cops in the UK are hard asses it seems.
westeast
Fantasy
5th
11/1/2021 9:20pm
agn5008 wrote:
Just call the PD and speak with the traffic supervisor. They’ll most likely withdraw it so no ones time is wasted going to court.
I was going to strongly suggest fighting it, but I'd first go with the suggestion above.
183Matt
Fantasy
1401st
11/1/2021 9:35pm
He’s gonna loose based on the sign says no turn between those hours and he did it. This is a slam dunk, pay the ticket. It will cost you more to fight it.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
11/1/2021 10:01pm
183Matt wrote:
He’s gonna loose based on the sign says no turn between those hours and he did it. This is a slam dunk, pay the ticket. It...
He’s gonna loose based on the sign says no turn between those hours and he did it. This is a slam dunk, pay the ticket. It will cost you more to fight it.
You don't think the "School Days" sign will come into play ? I mean if it was me arguing I'd ask why does it say school days ? if it's just M-F 7-9 and 2-4 why is that sign even there ? It looks to me like it reads those are the rules on "School Days"
It won't cost him time off work to fight it, he's piece price and he can do his pools before and after his court date, the guys do it all the time. I do think his first move should be agn5008's suggestion. He also said he's only had one ticket in his whole life and it was years ago, so hopefully a visit to the local sheriff station will handle it. I think if he does have to pay it then they should take the "School Days" sign down. because if that happens obviously that sign doesn't mean shit.
ns503
11/2/2021 3:47am
183Matt wrote:
He’s gonna loose based on the sign says no turn between those hours and he did it. This is a slam dunk, pay the ticket. It...
Disagree.

Why is the second sign even there then, in your case?
murph783
11/2/2021 5:27am
agn5008 wrote:
Most likely the case. No one wants court over that-cops included
Kenny Lingus
11/2/2021 6:44am
I've always assumed that school days are M-F from when school starts in the fall until summer break. One of the local schools has flashing lights on the speed limit signs and they're on even if school is not in session that day but are off in summer.
183Matt
Fantasy
1401st
11/2/2021 8:14am
I’m no attorney nor do I play one on tv. However I have had my fair share of experiences with items such as this when dealing with various regulations, laws, ordinances, HOA CC&R’s, etc ...

I just thin’ that regardless that it has the school days sign, the first portion says no turn between certain hours on certain days. It’s like the school days sign was an after thought. Now I may be way off based and wrong, but he asked for input.

As to fighting it in court, I can’t speak to other parts of the country, but in my neck of the woods overtime flows freely for LE to go to court. And don’t quote me, but I thought if you fight it and loose, you could be on the hook for additional “court cost”, at least 8n California.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.
early
Fantasy
2212th
11/2/2021 8:29am
183Matt wrote:
I’m no attorney nor do I play one on tv. However I have had my fair share of experiences with items such as this when dealing...
I’m no attorney nor do I play one on tv. However I have had my fair share of experiences with items such as this when dealing with various regulations, laws, ordinances, HOA CC&R’s, etc ...

I just thin’ that regardless that it has the school days sign, the first portion says no turn between certain hours on certain days. It’s like the school days sign was an after thought. Now I may be way off based and wrong, but he asked for input.

As to fighting it in court, I can’t speak to other parts of the country, but in my neck of the woods overtime flows freely for LE to go to court. And don’t quote me, but I thought if you fight it and loose, you could be on the hook for additional “court cost”, at least 8n California.

Usually in my experience (not CA) the court costs are about half or more of the ticket amount and those are paid regardless of an actual court appearance.

The school days thing should get him off the hook. I drive past a school everyday on my way to work and the lights on the 20 mph sign are only illuminated on days school is actually in session (off on holidays).
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/2/2021 8:47am
183Matt wrote:
I’m no attorney nor do I play one on tv. However I have had my fair share of experiences with items such as this when dealing...

I am not a lawyer either, but every contract I've ever signed and every rule I've ever been forced to follow must respect all stipulations indicated in writing.

In other words,
"You may not breathe."
"Except on weekends;"
"Or if you are from out of state;"
"Or it is between the hours of 10AM-7PM;"
"Or if your life depends on it."

The first several stipulations are successively less stringent. However, the final stipulation renders the entire regulation null and void. In the case of Sumdood's employee, the "school days" stipulation definitely applies. The question here is whether or not the vague wording of the sign can be construed to mean ALL M-F, or just dates when school is actually in session.
Zycki11
11/2/2021 9:43am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2021 9:48am
The fact that a sign has hours posted and then a secondary sign is pretty ridiculous. What happened to simple explanatory road signs? For the record, I know a buddy on the force and his sergeant is a motorcycle cop. They have to right extra tickets for the motorcycle because it is not what they call “allotted” in the budget. 9/10 times the cop himself won’t show up to court and the judge throws it out.

This is what happens when you have to many hands in the damn cookie jar.
11/2/2021 10:38am
FGR01 wrote:
Yeah I got busted for turning right on red one time. Total load of BS. Cops in the UK are hard asses it seems.
😂😂😂
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
11/2/2021 11:17am
He’s going to the sheriffs station this afternoon with the picture of the sign(s) snd this piece of paper that shows there was no school that day. We shall see !
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
11/3/2021 1:14pm
Absolutely fight it. I live next to a school and have the exact same sign. If it is not a school day, you are allowed to turn right on red. The sign is to protect children crossing the street, if there is no school that day, there is no children to protect (in theory)
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/3/2021 1:51pm
Absolutely fight it. I live next to a school and have the exact same sign. If it is not a school day, you are allowed to...
Absolutely fight it. I live next to a school and have the exact same sign. If it is not a school day, you are allowed to turn right on red. The sign is to protect children crossing the street, if there is no school that day, there is no children to protect (in theory)
This is exactly how I'd understand the signage.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
11/3/2021 5:06pm
183Matt wrote:

early wrote:
Usually in my experience (not CA) the court costs are about half or more of the ticket amount and those are paid regardless of an actual...
Usually in my experience (not CA) the court costs are about half or more of the ticket amount and those are paid regardless of an actual court appearance.

The school days thing should get him off the hook. I drive past a school everyday on my way to work and the lights on the 20 mph sign are only illuminated on days school is actually in session (off on holidays).
In PA most citations are a $25 fine (outside of more serious ones like driving with a suspended license, not having insurance on your car, excessive speeding etc). With court costs a $25 ticket ends up being over $180. We used to write “obedience to traffic control signals” instead of speeding tickets because it was the minimum fine and no points assessed. Big brother caught on and raised that section to the maximum fine 🙄

I’m glad I don’t do traffic anymore. It’s absolutely awful.
JustMX
11/3/2021 5:27pm
FGR01 wrote:
Um... that is actually pretty funny.....he got the ticket for turning right on red, in the uk....get it?
APLMAN99
11/3/2021 5:37pm
183Matt wrote:
You may have skipped a few of those ‘school days’ if you think that he is going to “loose” it…….

😎

Post a reply to: Right turn on red ticket, pay it or fight it ?

The Latest