Remodeling/construction guys (question)

5/3/2016 10:42am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2016 7:52pm
I am looking at a rental house, and the basement has this vapor barrier on the walls. The pics show some algae/mold on the outside of the basement walls. This is in a very wet area, with a high water table. We have had a lot of mold problems in other rentals.
What is the purpose of this stuff? Is there probably a mold issue under there if the basement flooded at a certain time?

|
motogeezer
5/3/2016 10:48am
I'd pull some down and have a look.

If they won't let you do that, walk away.

Even if there's no mold, I'd pull it down and apply some positive waterproofing, just in case.

Maybe that's already been done?
motogeezer
5/3/2016 10:50am
Here is what the basement outside wall looks like: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/03/133858/s1200_house_2.jpg[/img]
Here is what the basement outside wall looks like:

That looks like staining from splash back, or the sprinklers.

I'm guessing that's integral color stucco with no paint or sealer.
5/3/2016 10:56am
Here is what the basement outside wall looks like: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/03/133858/s1200_house_2.jpg[/img]

motogeezer wrote:

Thanks Geez!

The Shop

newmann
5/3/2016 11:32am
Fly me down for a walk through. I can tell you within a minute if it has a nasty mold issue! We have been having soooo much rain here lately and I can smell our house getting damp. Even with the whole house dehumidifier going you can tell it's trying to get my allergies going. Whole lot better than it was without the dehumidifier, major difference.
SEE ARE125
5/3/2016 12:21pm

motogeezer wrote:

Thanks Geez!
I agree with motogeezer. Looks like where the dirt splashes back on the house during a rain. One side of my house has that on the brick where there wasn't any grass when we moved in. I've noticed it on other houses, and houses with a white foundation like that one show it a lot more. A pressure washer will remove a lot of it, but not all of it. Put some shrubs or something there after you clean it and it'll help prevent it from happening again. The plants will absorb the impact of the rain, instead of letting it hit the dirt and bounce back up on the foundation. Plus the shrubs will help hide the stains.
5/3/2016 12:57pm
motogeezer wrote:

Thanks Geez!
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I agree with motogeezer. Looks like where the dirt splashes back on the house during a rain. One side of my house has that on the...
I agree with motogeezer. Looks like where the dirt splashes back on the house during a rain. One side of my house has that on the brick where there wasn't any grass when we moved in. I've noticed it on other houses, and houses with a white foundation like that one show it a lot more. A pressure washer will remove a lot of it, but not all of it. Put some shrubs or something there after you clean it and it'll help prevent it from happening again. The plants will absorb the impact of the rain, instead of letting it hit the dirt and bounce back up on the foundation. Plus the shrubs will help hide the stains.
Good to know. I thought it might be mold, but that makes total sense.
Cygnus
5/3/2016 1:32pm
If ya go for it lots of bleach in a pump up sprayer will be your best friend.
5/3/2016 1:42pm
newmann wrote:
Fly me down for a walk through. I can tell you within a minute if it has a nasty mold issue! We have been having soooo...
Fly me down for a walk through. I can tell you within a minute if it has a nasty mold issue! We have been having soooo much rain here lately and I can smell our house getting damp. Even with the whole house dehumidifier going you can tell it's trying to get my allergies going. Whole lot better than it was without the dehumidifier, major difference.
Mold sucks. I am getting treatment right now. Some of my blood markers were way off.
Once you get sick from mold, your susceptibility goes up and makes it easier to get sick again. My wife and I have been through the wringer with this stuff.
motosmith
5/3/2016 3:23pm
Cygnus wrote:
If ya go for it lots of bleach in a pump up sprayer will be your best friend.
"Another issue: Bleach contains 90% water and mold LOVES water. When Bleach is applied, the chlorine quickly evaporates after use leaving behind A LOT of water. This water often soaks into the porous surface allowing the mold to flourish and re-grow in this moist environment. So in effect, using Bleach actually feeds the internal mold spores! Although the surface may look bleached and clean, the remaining spores will root deeper, stronger and will often return worse than before."

http://www.rhinohide.com/blog/never-use-bleach-to-clean-mold
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
5/3/2016 3:37pm
Definitely try to pull that barrier back to see if any water has gotten in before.

Look for cracks in the concrete, bubbles in wall paint, damp smell, water or drip marks.

Basements really need to be sealed from the outside to make them truly waterproof, but that is very costly...
Usually you can get away with bigtime interior sealing, but it isn't as effective.
motogeezer
5/3/2016 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2016 4:18pm
motosmith wrote:
"Another issue: Bleach contains 90% water and mold LOVES water. When Bleach is applied, the chlorine quickly evaporates after use leaving behind A LOT of water...
"Another issue: Bleach contains 90% water and mold LOVES water. When Bleach is applied, the chlorine quickly evaporates after use leaving behind A LOT of water. This water often soaks into the porous surface allowing the mold to flourish and re-grow in this moist environment. So in effect, using Bleach actually feeds the internal mold spores! Although the surface may look bleached and clean, the remaining spores will root deeper, stronger and will often return worse than before."

http://www.rhinohide.com/blog/never-use-bleach-to-clean-mold
What you have linked us to there, is a thinly veiled ad for a new brand of OxyKleen type stuff.

The funniest part is, they say, "OH, NO! Bleach is 90% WATER!"

They don't think anyone is going to notice that you have to mix their powdered product with water?

Once it's ready to use, it's almost 100% water.

Bleach is fine for mold and mildew.

motogrady
5/3/2016 6:06pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2016 6:34pm
I am looking at a rental house, and the basement has this vapor barrier on the walls. The pics show some algae/mold on the outside of...
I am looking at a rental house, and the basement has this vapor barrier on the walls. The pics show some algae/mold on the outside of the basement walls. This is in a very wet area, with a high water table. We have had a lot of mold problems in other rentals.
What is the purpose of this stuff? Is there probably a mold issue under there if the basement flooded at a certain time?

Local building code likely , newer codes require you insulate the ceiling of the basement, or the walls of the basement.
As there is no insulation above, they went with blanketing the walls.
This also makes this area, since it is in what is called the conditioned envelope, liveable sq footage.
The duct man didn't have to insulate the ducts that way also, it's considered inside the house.

Cut a grill in the sheet metal box next to that step ladder, maybe 6 inches from the floor.
That's a return air box, the air is sucking back into the furnace. 14 x 6, 14 x 8, something like that.
Cut in 2 4x 10 registers in that duct running along the ceiling, that's supply.
This will give you air circulation, and dry that place out.

I wouldn't worry sbout the mold, dry that place out, it's gone.

The water splashing on the outside wall, the gutters need cleaning or attention, if there are any.
If not, install them.

That basement is not that far below grade, believe me, I'm in a lot of them, that's a blank canvas just waiting
for a bedroom or club room.
Old-Man
5/3/2016 7:52pm
Geeze...some of the...well Good Luck!

Post a reply to: Remodeling/construction guys (question)

The Latest