Remember making bmx jumps out of dirt piles around town.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/17/2019 7:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2019 8:15 AM

When I was a kid there was not one dirt plie around town that we didnt make into jumps for our bmx bikes. Every dirt pile in the "world" would have ruts all over it and there wasn't one anywhere without. If we saw a fresh mound, kids would flock there from all directions to make it into a jump. Construction sites became tracks at night and weekends. We would jump every obstacle on every ride in every direction. There has been these bunch of perfect mounds around town here and I have always wondered why there is not one tread mark in any of them for years. These are perfect too, I mean textbook. Also a bunch are near schools, next to sidewalks and tons of kids ride past daily. This is tragic. Lol

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

3/17/2019 7:54 AM

I don't have kids, but it doesn't seem like kids ride like we did back in the 70s and 80s. We had a few homemade tracks in the woods. All the kids brought shovels, cleared brush, built berms and jumps and did routine maintenance. Didn't even need a Facebook page to organize.

|

No Signature.

3/17/2019 8:00 AM

I think technology fucked all of that up but that's just me.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

3/17/2019 11:18 AM

Hot damn those were the good ol days!

|

3/17/2019 12:40 PM

Because now when you do that stuff ass holes chase you out or call the cops. Growing up we had our own set of trails in my uncles backyard but we didn’t even bother riding around town, too many cop callers and sketchy people. It’s not like it was when most of you guys grew up, people aren’t cool with that stuff like they used to be and now you have to worry about getting your stuff jacked.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

3/17/2019 2:40 PM

Cinber blocks and 1x10's here
If you could find enough wood a three cinder block ramp was legend.
We won't talk about four cinder blocks... Jimmy Diaz probably couldn't have kids after that jump.sad dizzy

|

3/17/2019 3:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2019 3:48 PM

My very first crash & burn, (on my Stingray), was on the impromptu track we made when they dug out for the foundations for some new classroom buildings at the local grade school. There was a short steep entry into the dugout area, a hump in the middle you could launch off of, and a steep climb out of the cutout. There were three worn paths across the foundation hole and we connected them with U-turns to make a track. My buddy had a stop watch and we were doing time trials to see who could get the fastest lap. It was off one of the middle humps that I got to experience my first “Endo”. That was in 1967, before BMX as we now know it.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

3/17/2019 3:06 PM

I always used to set up the red ramps you drive up to work on a car back in the day.

|

3/17/2019 4:10 PM

71Fish wrote:

I don't have kids, but it doesn't seem like kids ride like we did back in the 70s and 80s. We had a few homemade tracks in the ...more

Now kids stand around, (or sit around), looking at their phones.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

3/17/2019 6:01 PM

71Fish wrote:

I don't have kids, but it doesn't seem like kids ride like we did back in the 70s and 80s. We had a few homemade tracks in the ...more

Reese95w wrote:

Now kids stand around, (or sit around), looking at their phones.

Texting one another lol.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

3/17/2019 7:26 PM

This was my BMX childhood (minus the alien)...

|

3/17/2019 7:40 PM

|

3/17/2019 8:02 PM

KMC440 wrote:

We won't talk about four ...more

Be sure to have the kids lie down next to the jump to see how many you could clear. At least 4 or 5.

One time my stepdad brought me home a moped, a Puch. Well you know damn well I wound that thing up around the entire block for speed, then hit a 2 cinderblock plywood jump at probably 25MPH. Epic Superman to hard street landing, crushed my balls and scuffed my shoes on the street but it was all good. Managed to stay on 2 wheels. My cousin still brings it up at family reunions. cool Good times

|

3/17/2019 8:12 PM

kdizzle_rider wrote:

Be sure to have the kids lie down next to the jump to see how many you could clear. At least 4 or 5.

One time my stepdad ...more

I’ve been there ?

|

3/17/2019 11:13 PM

Photo

1972. 9 yrs old. We had empty lots and fields everywhere. We would have pro purse races. 25 cents entry 3 motos. I was smallest kid and got smoked but I didnt care I just wanted in on it.

My 3 yr old Grandson is totally into it. There's some other kids a few years older that build jumps and ride with him.
I bought this 14 inch Schwinn for my Daughter in 1986, she rode the wheels off it then I hung it in the garage rafters in case I had a grandkid.
6 months ago I took it down and went thru and restored it.
He rides the shit out of it.

Photo

Photo

|

3/18/2019 3:37 AM

I grew up in a very small farm town. Less than 2,000 people. Our local grocery store moved into a new building and left behind an old, concrete loading ramp. It soon became a hot spot for us kids to jump our bikes off of. Man, we'd get busted up....lol. Never once had any issues with the town police but, the old bat that owned the next door laundromat would occasionally chase us away. Good times.

|

3/18/2019 4:53 AM

I think we all did this growing up, it's just a part of being an American kid. My favorite part had to be finding the crash test dummie kid who we egged on to be the first to jump it. I witnessed some of the worst crashes and carnage I've ever seen back then. Broken noses, knocked out teeth and so much missing skin you'd puke.

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

3/18/2019 6:54 AM

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Photo

|

3/18/2019 7:49 AM

KMC440 wrote:

Four cinder blocks? You mean "front wheel smashing, violent super moon kickers?" Ya I remember those lol

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

3/18/2019 9:22 AM

Awesome memories everyone! I still have my Schwinn Predator in my attic and built a Haro xl while busted up years ago like one I had as a kid.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

3/18/2019 10:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2019 1:16 PM

Yep grew up on a Hillside in Southern Cal and they put the number two Glendale freeway through it.
Before that we had endless trails, multiple tracks and even afterwards we made the most of it.

Jumps everywhere.smile

Kids these days aren't interested (SCR nice job!).
They are more interested in video games and chasing Pokemon is that still a thing grin

Really sad. Bike sales are down across the board.
The Millennials are not interested.
Man buns, tight jeans, vaping, video games are where it's at. sad

|

3/18/2019 10:47 AM

There was nice trails in nearby local woods that was our ‘home’ for the summers, amazing times and memories. These days I would freak if any grandkids even thought about going there, too dodgy even for me to go there now.

Modern society has screwed up way too many good things

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

3/18/2019 1:41 PM

newmann wrote:

Photo

Helmet? We didn't need no stinking helmet.

|

No Signature.

3/18/2019 2:10 PM

JM485 wrote:

Because now when you do that stuff ass holes chase you out or call the cops. Growing up we had our own set of trails in my ...more

Technology didn’t help but you are 100% spot on. When I was like 5-8 grade everyone was into bmx but you could not do anything without either having someone freak out you were in a abandoned parking lot or in the woods and call the cops. Some lady once called it in that me and five others were smashing car windows because we threw our trash in a dumpster and it made noise. It made a lot of kids loose interest fast.

|

3/18/2019 3:29 PM

newmann wrote:

Photo

71Fish wrote:

Helmet? We didn't need no stinking helmet.

My 74 GT80 was parked out of view. Just sizing it up ...

|

3/18/2019 4:29 PM

KMC440 wrote:

Stuntman949 wrote:

Four cinder blocks? You mean "front wheel smashing, violent super moon kickers?" Ya I remember those lol

I'm seriously not kidding when I said I doubt he'd be able to father children ... backbone tube and steering stem violence is a cruel mistress! I wasn't going to pull the trigger on that bitch!

|

3/18/2019 7:32 PM

Blonde head kid on the original Mongoose. When it was one of the first real BMX bikes available. Before it became a department store bike. I think I put about $400 into it. When a regular bike was around $55. Lol. Photo
Photo

|

3/19/2019 3:07 AM

Used to watch Rad and get straight out to the streets trying to make our own Hell Track. Good times.

|

3/19/2019 12:38 PM

JM485 wrote:

Because now when you do that stuff ass holes chase you out or call the cops. Growing up we had our own set of trails in my ...more

Naanak wrote:

Technology didn’t help but you are 100% spot on. When I was like 5-8 grade everyone was into bmx but you could not do anything ...more

I think the other thing is more skateparks are available now than there were back then. Depending on where you live you might still get booted out, but it’s a heck of a lot better than spending a ton of time and effort building trails only to have them torn down. It kills me when older guys suggest that newer generations are somehow fundamentally different than they were, we aren’t any different it’s just that most of us were raised by helicopter parents and the few that aren’t are the ones keeping the flame alive. I mean hell most younger kids now have to deal with their parents GPS tracking their phones and checking all their messages, and they wonder why they lack street smarts and remain dependent. . .

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

3/19/2019 2:37 PM

JM485 wrote:

Naanak wrote:

Technology didn’t help but you are 100% spot on. When I was like 5-8 grade everyone was into bmx but you could not do anything ...more

JM485 wrote:

I think the other thing is more skateparks are available now than there were back then. Depending on where you live you might ...more

Exactly, most kids still want to do that stuff but they can’t. Why risk pissing off your parents, neighbors and anyone else doing something outside when you can just play video games and avoid issues. It’s becoming more and more common and the parents just think that the kid is lazy when in reality they’re tired of someone tracking them like they’re a wanted criminal. It’s sad to see honestly.

|