Religious folk - question for you.

Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2012 11:27am
Do you see the planets recent events, earthquakes, volcano as the oncoming Book of Revelation prophecies or do you recognize them as related geological events one tied to another?

I am curious to know what is the climate for religion currently with 2012 mania and how they pertain to the "Book of Revelations?"

Thank you for your point of view.
|
flarider
4/25/2010 3:34pm
God is unhappy Obama was elected

If re-elected in 2012, then it all comes to pass
DNietsche
4/25/2010 3:52pm
I would think a truly religious person would not be so arrogant as to comment on knowing when the end of the world will be. If you believed in the power of God you would not presume to know when, how, or why he would destroy what was created.

The Shop

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/25/2010 7:50pm
The book of Revalations doesnt really talk about this stuff, it talks mostly of pollitical things.

The book of Danial talk about that stuff. And yes it does talk about these things happening toward the begining of the end times. But nobody knows when that time will happen.

eddie
4/25/2010 8:20pm
UpTiTe wrote:
The book of Revalations doesnt really talk about this stuff, it talks mostly of pollitical things. The book of Danial talk about that stuff. And yes...
The book of Revalations doesnt really talk about this stuff, it talks mostly of pollitical things.

The book of Danial talk about that stuff. And yes it does talk about these things happening toward the begining of the end times. But nobody knows when that time will happen.

"And yes it does talk about these things happening toward the begining of the end times."

earthquakes , volcanoes and tsunamis have happened for the entire history of mankind and will continue to happen .... so they didnt really go out on a limb on that prediction .

i predict that at the beginning of the end times .... the sun will rise every day . i am a prophet !
bullpen58
4/25/2010 8:22pm
eddie wrote:
[b][i]"And yes it does talk about these things happening toward the begining of the end times."[/i][/b] earthquakes , volcanoes and tsunamis have happened for the entire...
"And yes it does talk about these things happening toward the begining of the end times."

earthquakes , volcanoes and tsunamis have happened for the entire history of mankind and will continue to happen .... so they didnt really go out on a limb on that prediction .

i predict that at the beginning of the end times .... the sun will rise every day . i am a prophet !
And my powers are telling me that there will also be wind and clouds!
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/25/2010 8:25pm
UpTiTe wrote:
The book of Revalations doesnt really talk about this stuff, it talks mostly of pollitical things. The book of Danial talk about that stuff. And yes...

eddie wrote:
[b][i]"And yes it does talk about these things happening toward the begining of the end times."[/i][/b] earthquakes , volcanoes and tsunamis have happened for the entire...

I was answering a question, not asking for a dick remark.
flarider
4/25/2010 8:27pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Ummm....and where did you think you were when doing this?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/25/2010 8:28pm
UpTiTe wrote:
flarider wrote:
Ummm....and where did you think you were when doing this?
Sorry I forgot.
SteveS
4/25/2010 8:58pm
It's not in Revelation. It's in Matthew and Mark. Here's Matthew 24:

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

So when we see lots of earthquakes, famines, nations rising against nations, and then see that we are hated because of Christ and many are turning away from faith and there is an increase in wickedness and so on, we are prompted to be more vigilant that these might be signs that the return of Christ is near.
eddie
4/25/2010 9:33pm
eddie wrote:

bullpen58 wrote:
And my powers are telling me that there will also be wind and clouds!
we should write a book !
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
4/25/2010 9:41pm
UpTiTe wrote:

FWIW - Thank you
supr_fly_tnt
4/26/2010 6:25am
UpTiTe wrote:

Tiki wrote:
FWIW - Thank you
exactly. unfortunatley the small percentage of religious nutcases that do get out there and spew their armegeddon crap are good drama stories for the news and people are so bored in their lives that they feed off that shit. any true, humble, religious person would and should tell you that no one knows. these phenomena are intriguing and as someone mentioned in a previous thread, even the bible says that the time is unknown. i am personnaly enjoying this as it is my only glimpse into what the planet could have been like umpteen million years ago, only way more volatile and violent. but its still cool.

b
kdx man
4/26/2010 10:55am
SteveS wrote:
It's not in Revelation. It's in Matthew and Mark. Here's Matthew 24: As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him...

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

So when we see lots of earthquakes, famines, nations rising against nations, and then see that we are hated because of Christ and many are turning away from faith and there is an increase in wickedness and so on, we are prompted to be more vigilant that these might be signs that the return of Christ is near.
This stuff has all been happening over the years since the Bible was written. In fact, that stuff has been going on since there were two humans on this earth with the ability to fight with one another.

zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
4/26/2010 10:59am
SteveS wrote:
It's not in Revelation. It's in Matthew and Mark. Here's Matthew 24: As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him...

kdx man wrote:
This stuff has all been happening over the years since the Bible was written. In fact, that stuff has been going on since there were two...
This stuff has all been happening over the years since the Bible was written. In fact, that stuff has been going on since there were two humans on this earth with the ability to fight with one another.

verses 4-8 means those things will be happening at mutiple places at the same time.
So while yes, there has always been war, famine, earthquakes, it will be simultaneous, which I dont think has necessarily really ever happened before
motogeezer
4/26/2010 11:19am
verses 4-8 means those things will be happening at mutiple places at the same time. So while yes, there has always been war, famine, earthquakes, it...
verses 4-8 means those things will be happening at mutiple places at the same time.
So while yes, there has always been war, famine, earthquakes, it will be simultaneous, which I dont think has necessarily really ever happened before
It's been happening continuously since before our ancestors came down from the trees.

We have only recently picked up the ability to monitor and report it world-wide.

I guess, if you wanted to, you could consider mass media a sign of the end-times...Unsure
DoctorJD
4/26/2010 12:16pm
Short answer: No, I don't think this is part of the "end times".

Matthew 24:42
"Therefore be on alert, for you don't know which day your Lord is coming."

He also says in verse 43 that he would be, "...coming like a thief in the night."

I agree with the resident atheists/agnostics on this one. The stuff that is happening now has happened all throughout our planet's history, just business as usual.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
4/26/2010 1:39pm
verses 4-8 means those things will be happening at mutiple places at the same time. So while yes, there has always been war, famine, earthquakes, it...
motogeezer wrote:
It's been happening continuously since before our ancestors came down from the trees. We have only recently picked up the ability to monitor and report it...
It's been happening continuously since before our ancestors came down from the trees.

We have only recently picked up the ability to monitor and report it world-wide.

I guess, if you wanted to, you could consider mass media a sign of the end-times...Unsure
Im not saying right now is a sign of the times of the end, as everyone has stated, nothing new is going on. Im just saying that it seems from a scriptual standpoint, the signs would be much more noticeable.
SteveS
4/26/2010 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:24pm
As I said, Jesus's warning gives you some things to look for that might be clues that his return is imminent.

I don't think we are seeing all of the events He described yet. But I'll keep my eyes open. And it's a warning to be sure we are doing our jobs for Him.
KAWboy14
4/28/2010 11:19am
Jesus said: “There will be great earthquakes.” (Luke 21:11)

If it seems to you that now more people than ever before are affected by earthquakes, you are correct. “Suddenly we are seeing a spurt in seismic activity globally,” observed Indian seismologist R. K. Chadha in 2007. “Nobody knows why.” Moreover, rapid population growth in areas prone to earthquakes has increased the toll of these disasters. The earthquake that struck the Indian Ocean in 2004 and the tsunami that followed made that year the “deadliest in nearly 500 years for earthquakes” and “the second most fatal in recorded history,” according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
4/28/2010 11:36am
Thank you Kawboy.

From what I can surmise is that the religious climate is not viewing these events as a precursor to the end. Those that are rare and view it like this but not everyone.
noob
4/28/2010 11:47am
Bonus points to SteveS for dropping the "S" in "Reveleation"
KAWboy14
4/28/2010 11:49am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:28pm
it doesnt seem that the bible says there will be an "increase in earthquakes" does it?

when it says "great earthquakes" it could mean the damage to human life, being great....since the bible is written from a human experience/perspective.

your link does seem to confirm that idea:
2) The population at risk is increasing. While the number of large earthquakes is fairly constant, population density in earthquake-prone areas is constantly increasing. In some countries, the new construction that comes with population growth has better earthquake resistance; but in many it does not. So we are now seeing increasing casualties from the same sized earthquakes.
motogeezer
4/28/2010 12:34pm
And the increase in casualties clause doesn't cut it, either.

Population is increasing everywhere.

Did I ever post my lyrics to "Jehovah's Witnesses Might Be Right"?

KAWboy would like it!
rallendude
4/28/2010 1:16pm
I didn't read all the responses so if I'm redundant, forgive me.

I don't believe the events are necessarily tied to Revelations. I personally, believe the end will be much more obvious. Trumpets from the sky type stuff. I don't think it will be disquised as weather and geological activity.

Plus, we need an anti-christ. The bible says no one knows when the end will be. How could an entire Mayan civilization predict it accurately? Same goes for Nostradamus.
SteveS
4/28/2010 1:26pm
The return of Christ will be very obvious.

The things described in the Matthew passage I quoted are told as the signs that his return will be near.
motogeezer
4/28/2010 1:34pm
SteveS wrote:
The return of Christ will be very obvious. The things described in the Matthew passage I quoted are told as the signs that his return will...
The return of Christ will be very obvious.

The things described in the Matthew passage I quoted are told as the signs that his return will be near.
Steve (I singled you out because you seem to have a pretty good handle on Bible prophesy), I read the entire "Left Behind" series of books when they first came out.

Have you read them?

If so, how did you feel about the way the end times were portrayed?

Anyone else who read the books, feel free to chime-in.

Post a reply to: Religious folk - question for you.

The Latest