Religious, Political, Controversial!

ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:51am
I was reading an article this morning that got me thinking,
We bring/allow in a lot of folks from different countries without the expectation
that they assimilate to our life style, standard of living, morals, use whatever term you want.
We are now getting many immigrants/refugees that come from countries where men
have multiple wives. Are we now going to acknowledge polygamy so we can be inclusive of
the culture coming into our country. And if so, will it also be legal and acceptable for folks
already here?
The article was about it being acknowledged in England but only if the marriage was
preformed in a country where it's legal.
What's the outdated saying? And the dynamite goes BOOM
TM
|
Rooster
1/24/2016 7:26pm
You already have pockets of it with some Mormon sects that are ignored by the law and you regularly have granted resident visas to plenty of wealthy Saudis and other wealthy or connected Arabs to reside in the US with their wives.

It's already commonplace enough. How do you think this might affect you personally? How specifically would this impinge your rights or freedoms?
SCR
1/24/2016 8:19pm
I thought the supreme court sorted this out last year when they determined it was unconstitutional to define marriage, so now whom,s ever wants to can get married has the right to do so. I've been thinking polygamy might be the least of potential reprocusions. But maybe not.
IWreckALot
1/25/2016 11:32am
Anymore I'm fine with the government not wasting time on the issue of marriage. The last people that should be in control of who you marry is the government.

The Shop

motogeezer
1/25/2016 3:37pm
The only concern the government should have with marital status, is your tax filing.

I'm guessing that the only real reason they're against polygamy is because a guy can deduct a shit-load of dependents.

ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
1/26/2016 7:29am
Rooster wrote:
You already have pockets of it with some Mormon sects that are ignored by the law and you regularly have granted resident visas to plenty of...
You already have pockets of it with some Mormon sects that are ignored by the law and you regularly have granted resident visas to plenty of wealthy Saudis and other wealthy or connected Arabs to reside in the US with their wives.

It's already commonplace enough. How do you think this might affect you personally? How specifically would this impinge your rights or freedoms?
Well I believe the Mormons have said on more than one occasion that this is not part of their mainstream religion.
Small splinter groups do continue to practice this but it is not legally recognized. As a point of issue, There is a law suit presently that is using the same legal maneuvering as the "same sex marriage" to try to legalize this.
But you ask how it affects me personally. Personally, my day to day routine will not change in the near future.
It's more of a drip, drip, drip. My country is changing not because we have decided that we want to change but because a small group of people trying to tell us that it's wrong to have our own morals and expect people which come to our country should learn and accept our morals. It is, after all. our country. But no, we should allow any and all folks into the country and accept that they will get to do what they are use to or I will be called a racist for not accepting that. The underlying message is that the laws are only for us and not groups coming in.
IF the folks coming in would just assimilate, great, but why do I have to assimilate? This is just one issue.
It's funny you bring up Mormon splinter groups and not how the country tries to smash them down. And you bring that up like there is no distinction. In one group the wives are part of a family, in the, other wives are a possession.
But regardless, If you do accept that, the're are entirely new dimensions of legal issues that will come up.
Pretty soon we'll have a bunch of immigrants coming in and we'll have to listen to all the sentences ending with "eh"
Wink .
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
1/26/2016 7:36am
IWreckALot wrote:
Anymore I'm fine with the government not wasting time on the issue of marriage. The last people that should be in control of who you marry...
Anymore I'm fine with the government not wasting time on the issue of marriage. The last people that should be in control of who you marry is the government.
Totally agree, the government should use for all people a legal civil union that gives them a partnership agreement limited to two Humans (of minimum age limit). This would give them legal financial, medical, ... rights that for all practical purposes would be equivalent to what we give married couples. And if you wanted to be "married" you would have to go to the church, and other than viewed by the church, marriage would have no legal bearing just like a cereal box police badge.
TM

Post a reply to: Religious, Political, Controversial!

The Latest