Related to employability...

Is it ok to fire someone who doesn’t align with your ideas after a year?

Does it show instability or strength for the organization ?
|
3/13/2018 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2018 12:56pm
Professional. Well doesn’t align with the foreseen direction of the organizations future. Did at first, but now doesn’t? Fire them or ride it out and see if you can mold them into a solid employee ?
3/13/2018 1:03pm
It then depends on how adaptive he or she is, I would think. If he or she is a good employee and just increasingly out of place, I would venture he or she may adapt and continue doing good work. If his or her skills just don't fit and there's no room to grow into what is needed in the new direction, well then, it probably doesn't make sense to invest time and resources into someone with no return potential.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/13/2018 1:06pm
Is this political?

The Shop

akillerwombat
3/13/2018 1:08pm
Firing a few people because they don't align with your vision is all good.

On the other hand having a 45% turn over ratio because "people don't align with your vision" is a tale tell sign that you either have no vision or you're a horrible boss.
Ebs
3/13/2018 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2018 2:21pm
At the end of the day, results are what matter.

That would be my core basis for judgement. Are they performing up to expectations.

TXDirt
3/13/2018 2:35pm

Are you looking for someone who agrees with your ideas, or are you looking for someone with the skill set to help achieve your ideas/vision? Because those are two totally different things.

I believe the best environments are when ideas are challenged. I do not want a bunch of subordinates who can't think for themselves. I'm also smart enough to know that not every idea I have may be the best to achieve the end result I desire. So that's why it's important to foster an environment where new ideas can be brought forward and discussed.

You don't want a bunch of "yes" employees around just to stroke your ego. Unless that's what you need.
motogrady
3/13/2018 5:40pm

Hey guy, it's not working out.
We pay you.
You haven't been able to get on board with the way
it's done around here.
As of now, you don't work here.
Here is your final check, we hope the best for you
on your future endeavors.
Sorry it did not work out. Bye.

The companies work force as a whole depends on management to keep the ship afloat. They and their families depend on the owner, or management to make these difficult assements and actions.

The guy that don't fit, he has to go. The quicker the better. To vasilate, to hem and haw around, hurts all
the longer it takes.

As long as it's not something personal, as long as the guy is a detriment to the company as a whole,
the quicker, the stronger the action.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
3/13/2018 7:40pm
fuck I wish we could fire people for something like that over here,
APLMAN99
3/13/2018 9:12pm
As a manager, you should seek to correct improper or unproductive behavior before anything else. Personally, I usually assume that if an employee isn't working towards what my vision for the company, division, plant, etc is, then it's because I haven't correctly shared that vision with them. I try to correct my own behavior by increasing my efforts there, first. If I have truly tried all that I can to correct behavior, then I will begin to focus on the idea that this particular person just may not be the correct person for the position.

A good manager has 3 main jobs, all very important.

-Share the vision
-Clear the path
-Celebrate the success

If done well, I guess that you could say that there is an obvious 4th thing:

-Repeat
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
3/16/2018 6:44am

TXDirt wrote:
Are you looking for someone who agrees with your ideas, or are you looking for someone with the skill set to help achieve your ideas/vision? Because...
Are you looking for someone who agrees with your ideas, or are you looking for someone with the skill set to help achieve your ideas/vision? Because those are two totally different things.

I believe the best environments are when ideas are challenged. I do not want a bunch of subordinates who can't think for themselves. I'm also smart enough to know that not every idea I have may be the best to achieve the end result I desire. So that's why it's important to foster an environment where new ideas can be brought forward and discussed.

You don't want a bunch of "yes" employees around just to stroke your ego. Unless that's what you need.
I would also add.. Have you as a manager/lead/supervisor in such position to control your workers employment ever been evaluated as being competent in your own position? First.

A manager/lead/supervisor should be the king of all ideas? Nope. Can they or will they be wrong, Yep. Is the input and ideas of workers important, yep. instability or strength? Well if you don't have policies and mission statements as some sort of base line guideline, then yes a top heavy reputation could be looked at as unstable and weak.

So many variables. If you are a mom and pop business, then your incompetence/competences is your own demise/success, so fire away, at the end of the day its your business right? Corporate world has so many levels to meet, and avenues to be fired/removed from a position... Safety, Production, expectation, laundry list of HR.....etc
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/16/2018 7:06am
Firing a few people because they don't align with your vision is all good. On the other hand having a 45% turn over ratio because "people...
Firing a few people because they don't align with your vision is all good.

On the other hand having a 45% turn over ratio because "people don't align with your vision" is a tale tell sign that you either have no vision or you're a horrible boss.
^ agree
JRT812
3/16/2018 8:33am
APLMAN99 wrote:
As a manager, you should seek to correct improper or unproductive behavior before anything else. Personally, I usually assume that if an employee isn't working towards...
As a manager, you should seek to correct improper or unproductive behavior before anything else. Personally, I usually assume that if an employee isn't working towards what my vision for the company, division, plant, etc is, then it's because I haven't correctly shared that vision with them. I try to correct my own behavior by increasing my efforts there, first. If I have truly tried all that I can to correct behavior, then I will begin to focus on the idea that this particular person just may not be the correct person for the position.

A good manager has 3 main jobs, all very important.

-Share the vision
-Clear the path
-Celebrate the success

If done well, I guess that you could say that there is an obvious 4th thing:

-Repeat
Well said and wise words. A lot of resources and time go into hiring/training someone. Its crucial to find to the correct fit in the beginning.

Post a reply to: Related to employability...

The Latest