Regular cab pickup

just James
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2020 5:05pm
Been looking at possibly buying a new pickup. I do not want or need a quad cab, or cab and a half. It seems that I am in the extreme minority, judging by what the dealers have in stock. I found a Ram 3500 that I really like, but it is 450 miles away. I figured it would be a good reason to go for a long ride on the ol' Guzzi next weekend to check it out.
Apparently most people want a big heavy duty luxury sedan with a little pickup bed stuck on the back of it.
I want a pretty basic model with vinyl seats and floor coverings that is easy to clean up. About the only luxuries that I care about are AC and cruise control. I have no interest in a fancy entertainment center, navigation, or any of the other expensive gizmos that most pickups come with these days. I am not interested in a diesel as I won't be doing a lot of towing, and the additional cost is absurd to me.
Anyone here have experience with a late model Ram heavy duty with the gas motor?
|
JAFO92
6/27/2020 10:09am
I have a '15 RAM 2500 4x4 with the 6.4. I ordered mine stripped down with no carpet, work vinyl seats, no GPS crap only a AM/FM radio and 4.10 gears. I love the truck. I tow my gooseneck all the time with 5+ tons on it no problem. Now it is not a diesel and doesnt tow like one, you hafta rev the engine, but the 6.4 works great and Ive had no issues at all. The majority of the time Im just running here and there with the truck, hauling feed and smaller loads, and tow now and then, so its perfect for what I got it for.

TXDirt
6/27/2020 10:25am
You might be able to find a fleet / commercial dealer. For some reason I remember recently driving by one and all they had was stock standard white trucks. Hundreds of them....
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
6/27/2020 10:28am
I'm not overly enamored with FCA's commitment to quality nor the dealer service we received with my wife's Durango, though maybe your experience would be better.

Have you considered a F250 or F350 with their new 7.3L gas motor? 10 speed transmission coupled with buckets of torque...
JAFO92
6/27/2020 10:34am
I'm not overly enamored with FCA's commitment to quality nor the dealer service we received with my wife's Durango, though maybe your experience would be better...
I'm not overly enamored with FCA's commitment to quality nor the dealer service we received with my wife's Durango, though maybe your experience would be better.

Have you considered a F250 or F350 with their new 7.3L gas motor? 10 speed transmission coupled with buckets of torque...
Im also curious how that big block is gonna turn out. Just not crazy about beer can body panels.

The Shop

just James
6/27/2020 11:08am
I'm not overly enamored with FCA's commitment to quality nor the dealer service we received with my wife's Durango, though maybe your experience would be better...

Yeah, I've looked at the Fords. Just a personal preference, but I like the Ram better.
The one that I've been eyeing has an msrp of $42,000, and the dealer is asking just over $39,000. If I had purchased last month, it was $2,000 less due to a factory discount.
Not only is it tough to find a regular cab, but it's really hard to find any color other than white. I am not totally against a white one, but would prefer a different color.
just James
6/27/2020 11:12am
JAFO92 wrote:
I have a '15 RAM 2500 4x4 with the 6.4. I ordered mine stripped down with no carpet, work vinyl seats, no GPS crap only a...
I have a '15 RAM 2500 4x4 with the 6.4. I ordered mine stripped down with no carpet, work vinyl seats, no GPS crap only a AM/FM radio and 4.10 gears. I love the truck. I tow my gooseneck all the time with 5+ tons on it no problem. Now it is not a diesel and doesnt tow like one, you hafta rev the engine, but the 6.4 works great and Ive had no issues at all. The majority of the time Im just running here and there with the truck, hauling feed and smaller loads, and tow now and then, so its perfect for what I got it for.

Nice looking truck.

On a side note, most trends are cyclical, and figure that at some point regular cab pickups will be popular again.
agn5009
6/27/2020 12:41pm
JAFO92 wrote:
I have a '15 RAM 2500 4x4 with the 6.4. I ordered mine stripped down with no carpet, work vinyl seats, no GPS crap only a...

just James wrote:
Nice looking truck.

On a side note, most trends are cyclical, and figure that at some point regular cab pickups will be popular again.
I doubt that. Most people have a couple kids and use trucks as their primary vehicle these days. I bought a 2018 silverado double cab about 2.5 years ago. We have our third kid on the way so I've gotta upgrade to a crew cab because theres no way I'm fitting 2 car seats and a booster seat in the back. I'm probably gonna go with a dodge this time around.
just James
6/27/2020 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2020 2:34pm
My OP got down votes?
Weird
captmoto
6/27/2020 2:29pm
just James wrote:
Yeah, I've looked at the Fords. Just a personal preference, but I like the Ram better. The one that I've been eyeing has an msrp of...
Yeah, I've looked at the Fords. Just a personal preference, but I like the Ram better.
The one that I've been eyeing has an msrp of $42,000, and the dealer is asking just over $39,000. If I had purchased last month, it was $2,000 less due to a factory discount.
Not only is it tough to find a regular cab, but it's really hard to find any color other than white. I am not totally against a white one, but would prefer a different color.
The minimalist truck you are looking for is usually a service fleet thing, that's why you see so many of them in white.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/27/2020 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2020 9:10am
agn5009 wrote:
I doubt that. Most people have a couple kids and use trucks as their primary vehicle these days. I bought a 2018 silverado double cab about...
I doubt that. Most people have a couple kids and use trucks as their primary vehicle these days. I bought a 2018 silverado double cab about 2.5 years ago. We have our third kid on the way so I've gotta upgrade to a crew cab because theres no way I'm fitting 2 car seats and a booster seat in the back. I'm probably gonna go with a dodge this time around.
You will not be disappointed with the new Ram 1500's. My late 2019 build Laramie is literally the nicest truck I have ever driven. 5.7 with 3.92's. It's basically a Mercedes that can tow 12,000 lbs.
JustMX
6/28/2020 6:03am
Know several people with v10 ford's that are very happy.

My diesel mechanic bought a new motor home with that engine.

He says it is the best power plant ford has ever made.
agn5009
6/28/2020 7:09am
agn5009 wrote:
I doubt that. Most people have a couple kids and use trucks as their primary vehicle these days. I bought a 2018 silverado double cab about...
avidchimp wrote:
You will not be disappointed with the new Ram 1500's. My late 2019 build Laramie is literally the nicest truck I have ever driven. 5.7 with...
You will not be disappointed with the new Ram 1500's. My late 2019 build Laramie is literally the nicest truck I have ever driven. 5.7 with 3.92's. It's basically a Mercedes that can tow 12,000 lbs.
That's awesome. I'm not sure which model I'm going with yet. I may go with a Rebel but without the stupid black/silver wheels. They are so ugly and I cant figure out why they would put them on such a beautiful looking truck Laughing
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/28/2020 7:51am
agn5009 wrote:
That's awesome. I'm not sure which model I'm going with yet. I may go with a Rebel but without the stupid black/silver wheels. They are so...
That's awesome. I'm not sure which model I'm going with yet. I may go with a Rebel but without the stupid black/silver wheels. They are so ugly and I cant figure out why they would put them on such a beautiful looking truck Laughing
The Rebel's are awesome, and I totally agree on the wheels. I just didn't need 4 wheel drive around here for obvious reasons. haha

And to the OP, a fleet dealer is really your best bet for a standard cab, especially in the HD trim. And also good luck on anything but white without a custom order.
just James
6/28/2020 9:27am
avidchimp wrote:
The Rebel's are awesome, and I totally agree on the wheels. I just didn't need 4 wheel drive around here for obvious reasons. haha And to...
The Rebel's are awesome, and I totally agree on the wheels. I just didn't need 4 wheel drive around here for obvious reasons. haha

And to the OP, a fleet dealer is really your best bet for a standard cab, especially in the HD trim. And also good luck on anything but white without a custom order.
Yeah, you are probably right, but the one I am going to check out next weekend is Olive Green.
6/29/2020 4:04pm
TXDirt wrote:
You might be able to find a fleet / commercial dealer. For some reason I remember recently driving by one and all they had was stock...
You might be able to find a fleet / commercial dealer. For some reason I remember recently driving by one and all they had was stock standard white trucks. Hundreds of them....
Probably w.Tx. Oil field pu. There always white. Those pu,s are beaten real bad. I had 1 pass me on a hill going sideways from hitting,the deep holes. On a lease road- off road. We broke the steal crude tankers, axles off, about broke anything you could think of. I wouldn’t think about riding a Mx bike on those roads, next level gnarly.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
6/29/2020 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2020 5:06pm
You are like my dad! He had to special order a regular cab 4x4 with 8 foot bed or he would have never found one on a dealer lot. He has a Ram he loves but it's a 1500. This one replaced an 89 Ram!

Post a reply to: Regular cab pickup

The Latest