Oops. I hit enter on accident!

Be right back with a few recipes..
jtomasik
11/10/2008 10:19am
Hurry up. I'm getting hungry.
kaw rider9
11/10/2008 10:39am
Smoked bacon wrapped shrimp..

Get a bunch of big shrimp. Peel, de-vain, remove tail and throw in a large bowl.
Mix in-
Garlic (I crush cloves to make a paste)
Jalipino(SP?) pepper. (I use my garlic smasher thingy on said pepper)
Salt. (Just a pinch)
Fresh lemon juice. (I squeeze a whole one in).
Itialian salad dressing. (Enough to cover the shrimp).
Cover it up and let it sit for a few hours.

When ready, pull each shrimp out individually(SP?) shake off some of the dressing and wrap with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.

Get the smoker going at 135-145 degrees. Throw on the shrimp and wait. I let them smoke for about an hour and a half. I'll only flip them a few times, but I stand there the whole damn time. You HAVE to watch and maintain the fire. Don't let it get to hot(You'll over cook the shrimp) but don't let the temp go down(Undercooked bacon can't be fun). Oh yea, I use Cherry wood, but you can use whatever you like.

Since you're smoking, do some cheese and eggs as well!! Great stuff!!

For cheese, just spray a cooking sheet with a little pam and put on a few blocks of cheese. Cheese takes about an hour and a half as well.

For eggs- Hard boil them, peel the shell and throw them on the smoker for about fourty minutes. NFM. Very easy and damn good.

Thats what I made last night. Lets hear what you guys made.
kaw rider9
11/10/2008 10:40am
Just got done eating the leftovers. It's as good the next day!

The Shop

Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
11/10/2008 10:47am
kaw rider9 wrote:
Smoked bacon wrapped shrimp.. Get a bunch of big shrimp. Peel, de-vain, remove tail and throw in a large bowl. Mix in- Garlic (I crush cloves...
Smoked bacon wrapped shrimp..

Get a bunch of big shrimp. Peel, de-vain, remove tail and throw in a large bowl.
Mix in-
Garlic (I crush cloves to make a paste)
Jalipino(SP?) pepper. (I use my garlic smasher thingy on said pepper)
Salt. (Just a pinch)
Fresh lemon juice. (I squeeze a whole one in).
Itialian salad dressing. (Enough to cover the shrimp).
Cover it up and let it sit for a few hours.

When ready, pull each shrimp out individually(SP?) shake off some of the dressing and wrap with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.

Get the smoker going at 135-145 degrees. Throw on the shrimp and wait. I let them smoke for about an hour and a half. I'll only flip them a few times, but I stand there the whole damn time. You HAVE to watch and maintain the fire. Don't let it get to hot(You'll over cook the shrimp) but don't let the temp go down(Undercooked bacon can't be fun). Oh yea, I use Cherry wood, but you can use whatever you like.

Since you're smoking, do some cheese and eggs as well!! Great stuff!!

For cheese, just spray a cooking sheet with a little pam and put on a few blocks of cheese. Cheese takes about an hour and a half as well.

For eggs- Hard boil them, peel the shell and throw them on the smoker for about fourty minutes. NFM. Very easy and damn good.

Thats what I made last night. Lets hear what you guys made.
Good stuff, what you got for a pork tenderloin.....
CR250Rider
11/10/2008 11:07am
i just made some beef stew

3 lbs beef shoulder cubed
carrots sliced
onion sliced
lima beens
3 bay leafs
cubed potato's
peas
cauliflower
broccoli
tomato paste
package of beef stew seasoning

cook for 5 hours.
make cornbread at last second, serve warm from the oven.

No one will ask whats for dinner, the whole house will smell like heaven.

jonjon714
11/10/2008 11:34am
I have a good recipe for Carp....
88sdad
11/10/2008 11:50am
I made "Cannabutter" yesterday with my leftover lower buds, leafs and sticks. This morning I'm making brownies.
Cannabutter:
Fill a large crockpot 1/3 the way with crushed and crumbled lower buds, leafs and sticks. Fill the crock Pot 3/4 way with a mixture of 1 part butter and 4 more parts water. Simmer on high for 3-4 hours then put on low for 8 more hours, stirring occasionally.
Strain threw cheese cloth into a bowl. Allow the liquids to cool to room temperature,then refrigerate over night. The butter will harden on the top and can be removed. Discard the water.
TIP: It is a tradition to use the lowest grades of leaf or shake for baking and save the marijuana for smoking.

Brownies
3/4 cup cannabutter
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325°F. Line 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, leaving long overhang; cannabutter foil.

Place 3/4 cup cannabutter in heavy large saucepan. Add both chocolates; stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar, vanilla, and salt, then eggs, 1 at a time. Fold in flour, then nuts. Spread in prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Place pan on rack; cool.

CR250Rider
11/10/2008 12:05pm
88sdad wrote:
I made "Cannabutter" yesterday with my leftover lower buds, leafs and sticks. This morning I'm making brownies. Cannabutter: Fill a large crockpot 1/3 the way with...
I made "Cannabutter" yesterday with my leftover lower buds, leafs and sticks. This morning I'm making brownies.
Cannabutter:
Fill a large crockpot 1/3 the way with crushed and crumbled lower buds, leafs and sticks. Fill the crock Pot 3/4 way with a mixture of 1 part butter and 4 more parts water. Simmer on high for 3-4 hours then put on low for 8 more hours, stirring occasionally.
Strain threw cheese cloth into a bowl. Allow the liquids to cool to room temperature,then refrigerate over night. The butter will harden on the top and can be removed. Discard the water.
TIP: It is a tradition to use the lowest grades of leaf or shake for baking and save the marijuana for smoking.

Brownies
3/4 cup cannabutter
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325°F. Line 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, leaving long overhang; cannabutter foil.

Place 3/4 cup cannabutter in heavy large saucepan. Add both chocolates; stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar, vanilla, and salt, then eggs, 1 at a time. Fold in flour, then nuts. Spread in prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Place pan on rack; cool.

i like yours more than mine Cool
kaw rider9
11/10/2008 12:10pm
Crash82 wrote:
Good stuff, what you got for a pork tenderloin.....
An actual tenderloin? Nothing... Sorry.
If you mean pork roast, Hell yea!

Start with a dry rub consisting of-
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Seasoning salt
Cayanne pepper
Itialian seasoning(looks like bad weed)

Rub it all in and let it sit over night in the fridge.

With Pork we switch to Hickory for smoking. Get the smoker up to 165-180 degrees. Put on pork and baste ocasionally with whatever BBQ sauce you like(I make my own). Smoke for 6-8 hours. Long time but well worth it!

Serve with twice baked potatoes and a salad. I go all out with the salads!

Smoke some baby shrimp(With cherry or apple) in a butter, garlic and lemon sauce for an hour at 135-145 degrees. Make the salad with Fresh spinanch leaves, shaved carrots, water chestnuts, onions(Regular and green) and black olives. Throw on the shrimp and some crutons(SP?), and top off with blue cheese!

I'm full just thinking about it...
kaw rider9
11/10/2008 12:14pm
jonjon714 wrote:
What is it? I've heard Carp is great but I don't know how to clean or cook it.

I guess you HAVE to clean Carp properly or it's horrible.
jonjon714
11/10/2008 12:21pm
jonjon714 wrote:
kaw rider9 wrote:
What is it? I've heard Carp is great but I don't know how to clean or cook it. I guess you HAVE to clean Carp properly...

You don't even have to clean it....Get a cedar plank and nail the fish to board....

Garnish with lemon and butter...

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes...

Remove from oven, take out nail, dispose of fish and eat the board....

kaw rider9
11/10/2008 12:24pm
jonjon714 wrote:
kaw rider9 wrote:
What is it? I've heard Carp is great but I don't know how to clean or cook it. I guess you HAVE to clean Carp properly...

jonjon714 wrote:
You don't even have to clean it....Get a cedar plank and nail the fish to board.... Garnish with lemon and butter... Bake at 350 for 25...
You don't even have to clean it....Get a cedar plank and nail the fish to board....

JERK!!!!! Mountian dew out my nose!!Evil
az2u
11/10/2008 4:03pm
kaw rider9 wrote:

jonjon714 wrote:
You don't even have to clean it....Get a cedar plank and nail the fish to board.... Garnish with lemon and butter... Bake at 350 for 25...

kaw rider9 wrote:
JERK!!!!! Mountian dew out my nose!!Evil
Ha Ha. I was thinking to myself who and the hell eats Carp. I'm sure people do but I'll pass.
Bob693
11/10/2008 4:49pm
Me too. I was reading that thinking, carp is a crap fish.
radonc73
11/10/2008 5:01pm
When I was in High School we used to trade carp for 6 packs of beer to a certain segment of the population.
THey said you have to keep it live and put it in a kiddie pool to let all the crap come out.

For a good Recipie for chicken combine light mayo and curry paste to flavor, add the chicken and stir, let sit for at least an hour but best over night. Bread it with crushed wheat-thins bake for 20 minutes.
Void Main
11/10/2008 5:07pm
I have eaten carp on occasion when I was a kid. We had a stream behind our house that would produce some whopper carp (although I don't find the bigger ones very good). I don't think it's any worse tasting than catfish and like catfish you'll have some that taste fine and some that don't taste so good. Well, maybe the rate of good vs bad is lower for carp than it is for cat. Smile
Void Main
11/10/2008 5:29pm
The recipe that oldprowler recalls in this thread is roughly how I recall my mother's recipe:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590

First off let me say that it has been a long time since I fixed a carp for eating and my memory might not be all it should be. I will go through the steps as I remember them though.

1: Skin and gut the fish, do not scale it.
2: Score the fish. Scoring is slicing across the fish every 1/4" to a depth of about 1/3 to 2/3 of the way through on both sides. This allows the cooking process to soften the numerous small bones. I used to score them from both directions making about 1/4" to 1/2" squares.

3. Cut the fish into about 2 to 3 inch "steaks". If you are going to grill or bake the fish then this step is not really necessary.

4. This is an approximation of the recipe we used to use:

2 cups cornmeal
1 Tablespoon flour
Salt and pepper
oil or lard to fill an iron skillet to a one-inch depth.

Coat fish with dry mix of cornmeal and flour. Place in hot oil, scored side down. Fry until golden brown, then turn to fry other side golden brown.

Note: You can also use a deep fat fryer or fish cooker to cook the fish.

We never filleted the fish because of the waste.
We also did not cut out the red line along the sides but that certainly can be done before scoring and may even improve the quality somewhat.

I am sure there will be more posts from our members in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois that will enhance this procedure.

I think a couple of keys to increasing your chances of getting a decent tasting one is to make sure the stream/lake you pull one from is not polluted and use the smaller ones for eating (5 to 6 pounders). I would pull 30 pounders out of that little stream on our farm and carp really put up a good fight.
Larry
11/10/2008 5:52pm
az2u wrote:
Ha Ha. I was thinking to myself who and the hell eats Carp. I'm sure people do but I'll pass.
If you eat Tilapia you eat carp.
Sounds good Kaw rider 9. Didn't know you ILL. boys were so astute in the use of a smoker, but then again you are a 2 stroke fan and we 2 strokers know all about smoke.Cool
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
11/11/2008 3:21am
Bob693 wrote:
Me too. I was reading that thinking, carp is a crap fish.
Iraqis eat the hell out of carp. They have a giant carp over here called a Mangar. A few 4 to 6 footers have been pulled out near me. Over 100 pounds easy.
Motodude
11/11/2008 3:23am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2008 3:29am
WTF...is this the Vital Kitchen board??...its getting camp around here. I just took a dump. Wink

Post a reply to: Recipe thread..

The Latest