Ready for "The lady in black"

hillbilly
Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 8:22pm
Darlington southern 500

70 yrs, same track.
|
mauidex
9/2/2018 2:31pm
If it’s anything like yesterday’s xfinity race should be a great one!!!
plowboy
9/2/2018 2:57pm
hillbilly wrote:
Darlington southern 500

70 yrs, same track.
Billy, I'm starting to believe you are some kinda speed freak. I dig it.Evil
BMSOBx2
9/2/2018 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2018 3:18pm
Enough with the prerace crap, time for a martini. Old Raj blue label. 110 proof. Bottle & glass in the freezer mister shot of Vaya extra dry vermouth. Smooth.
hillbilly
9/2/2018 3:54pm
hillbilly wrote:
Darlington southern 500

70 yrs, same track.
plowboy wrote:
I love watching races.

The technology of the pieces.

These cars run push rod engines ,dry sump but flood the valve covers to get springs to live.

Canted rear wheels,the only series of the 3 allowed to. Harry gant was mr. September because of that ,they show up with grease fittings on the axel caps and commence to win several in a row till nascar mandated a limit to degrees of cant because of half the field breaking axels.

Brake fluid recirculation,2 lines going to the front calipers got Mark Martin wins till it was banned.

The year Mark had the title taken away because of Roush building a intake with a floating bottom that made it like variable runners using engine vacuum.

Restrictor plate engines with compression ratios of 20 to 1 because at wot the volumetric efficiency drops its to a liveable ratio. Just getting those engines up to speed was a feat.

Morgan McClure showing up at Daytona with dry sump rear end and F1 zero viscosity oil that cost thousands of bucks per bucket.

Lot different nowadays.

The Shop

BMSOBx2
9/2/2018 3:58pm
hillbilly wrote:
Darlington southern 500

70 yrs, same track.
plowboy wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
I love watching races. The technology of the pieces. These cars run push rod engines ,dry sump but flood the valve covers to get springs to...
I love watching races.

These cars run push rod engines ,dry sump but flood the valve covers to get springs to live.

Canted rear wheels,the only series of the 3 allowed to. Harry gant was mr. September because of that ,they show up with grease fittings on the axel caps and commence to win several in a row till nascar mandated a limit to degrees of cant because of half the field breaking axels.

Brake fluid recirculation,2 lines going to the front calipers got Mark Martin wins till it was banned.

The year Mark had the title taken away because of Roush building a intake with a floating bottom that made it like variable runners using engine vacuum.

Restrictor plate engines with compression ratios of 20 to 1 because at wot the volumetric efficiency drops its to a liveable ratio. Just getting those engines up to speed was a feat.

Morgan McClure showing up at Daytona with dry sump rear end and F1 zero viscosity oil that cost thousands of bucks per bucket.

Lot different nowadays.
Smokey Yunick would be proud.
plowboy
9/2/2018 4:00pm
hillbilly wrote:
Darlington southern 500

70 yrs, same track.
plowboy wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
I love watching races. The technology of the pieces. These cars run push rod engines ,dry sump but flood the valve covers to get springs to...
I love watching races.

Lot different nowadays.

Harry was my guy...lol.
hillbilly
9/2/2018 4:25pm
Smokey,dude

Using the flywheel/clutch as a blower, read and test piles of plugs to pick eight. Flow benches for everything.

To hang out there would been cool.

Something I think is going on today by watching brad k and Harvick in car is flipping a switch for restarts.

I first saw brad doing it ever lap when needed at mile and half tracks. Then Kevin using "the switch" his crew chief called it on restarts.

I first thought they were just killing all power drain on the alternator but Harvick at Atlanta mentions electric burning smell and crew chief had him chill on "the switch"

Made me think they are using the alternator in reverse as a electric motor. I have no idea what kind of numbers you'd get out of one of the big ones they could use but any gain,even one HP would be better than it freewheeling.

Hell, it may make 5 Hp of something, but, it'd be something I'd try .
hillbilly
9/2/2018 4:40pm
plowboy wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
I love watching races.

Lot different nowadays.
plowboy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/02/284779/s1200_20180902_175807.jpg[/img] Harry was my guy...lol.

Harry was my guy...lol.
Super good dude.

I had 6 of the best seats at North wilksboro ,the stories I wish I could quickly type up of that place.

Went to the 30 th anniversary mustang at Charlotte in 94 on the way to wilkesboro,saw Clinton in his riding around a intern, picked up a Roush intake he used in pro stock ,dual quad on a boss 302 then on to wilkesboro.

Park the old cursed Winnebago in a flat spot I couldn't believe was still open,right off turn 3. Toss out the grill and chairs commence drinking and the heli lands blowing our shit away. We parked on the pad,never stopped them. Ate dogs and drank with all kinds of peop?e.

I think that's the year Rob morroso died .
BMSOBx2
9/2/2018 4:45pm
Burton, Jr. & Letart, itchy, sneezy & scratchy. Who can hit a higher note? Hurts my ears.
hillbilly
9/2/2018 4:51pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
I'm a Keslowski fan.
Ford fan ,went to Yates shop the day Ernie got out of the hospital and hung out.

I brought home the complete sticker set to make the white and gold Davy havoline thunderbird
Hood,numbers,quarter panel,decklid,still got but they old now I guess.

Yates was the man.

You all remember Earnhardt crashing on the warm-up lap at Darlington after taking a valium or something to nap in his car before the race and he nodded back off riding around waiting on the start,lol,ran into pitwall and was limp as a rag when they drag him out.

Damn we had fun.
hillbilly
9/2/2018 5:04pm
There was the Davey 28, beautiful car.

Brutal year that was,Alan getting killed right beside muddy creek.
hillbilly
9/2/2018 8:02pm
Watching this race makes me wish they would bring back Rockingham
Yep,that track produced great racing.

They are talking about putting Atlanta back to the original configuration,pit road was the backstretch when I first went there.

Post a reply to: Ready for "The lady in black"

The Latest