Rats!!!!!

captmoto
Edited Date/Time 7/21/2018 4:40am
I have rats outside and been using sticky traps and spring traps and am getting shut out. I have tried bacon, peanut butter, fruit etc. The nasty part is they get inside my grill and eat drippings, etc. and then shit on the drip tray. I have to clean the drip tray before every use or I would be cooking over rat shit.
I guess I'm needing to try some out of the box bait to catch and kill them. I'm thinking maybe some beef jerky next. Any other different ideas for baiting the traps?
|
borg
4/23/2017 5:30pm
There's probably a house near you that is infested.
Some things I've learned:
They stay hidden until dusk. Almost dark.
They prefer moving around on wires. They don't like the ground if they can avoid it.
Much of the time they are looking for water.
They are smart as fuck. (whatever that means)
Check you own attic. That's where they nest. No predators there.
A pie tin on incoming wires, (cable tv, electrical, telephone will stop them from getting on your roof.
I fucking hate rats.
Good luck.

ns503
4/23/2017 6:19pm
Ever see those mouse traps made out of a bucket? Wonder if one would work for rats? Might need something more like a barrel but may be worth a try...
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
4/23/2017 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 6:25pm
captmoto wrote:
I have rats outside and been using sticky traps and spring traps and am getting shut out. I have tried bacon, peanut butter, fruit etc. The...
I have rats outside and been using sticky traps and spring traps and am getting shut out. I have tried bacon, peanut butter, fruit etc. The nasty part is they get inside my grill and eat drippings, etc. and then shit on the drip tray. I have to clean the drip tray before every use or I would be cooking over rat shit.
I guess I'm needing to try some out of the box bait to catch and kill them. I'm thinking maybe some beef jerky next. Any other different ideas for baiting the traps?
You need poison.
The kind that they eat that makes them go looking for water and they'll die on the way.
Put it around the outside of your house around and near the foundation or near areas you've seen them.

This stuff here might work.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motomco-32446-Tomcat-All-Weather-Bait-Chunx/…
captmoto
4/23/2017 11:28pm
borg wrote:
There's probably a house near you that is infested. Some things I've learned: They stay hidden until dusk. Almost dark. They prefer moving around on wires...
There's probably a house near you that is infested.
Some things I've learned:
They stay hidden until dusk. Almost dark.
They prefer moving around on wires. They don't like the ground if they can avoid it.
Much of the time they are looking for water.
They are smart as fuck. (whatever that means)
Check you own attic. That's where they nest. No predators there.
A pie tin on incoming wires, (cable tv, electrical, telephone will stop them from getting on your roof.
I fucking hate rats.
Good luck.

I've seen them running along the top of my fence. No overhead wires here. No attic access I put a trap with fruit on the fence but they avoided it. I've put sticky traps along what look like obvious travel routes bit still no good. Those filthy fucks are really smart. We used to trap them where I worked 40 years ago. We would stack wheels on 12" lath strips in our warehouse. After a couple days we would find loose sticks in the traps. After a week we would reset the traps and catch them again so they didn't seem to have long term memories just crazy scary problem solving skills.

The Shop

JRT812
4/24/2017 4:47am
Have you thought about getting a barn cat?
JAFO92
4/24/2017 5:09am
Did someone say Rat ? Wink

SEE ARE125
4/24/2017 5:51am
ns503 wrote:
Ever see those mouse traps made out of a bucket? Wonder if one would work for rats? Might need something more like a barrel but may...
Ever see those mouse traps made out of a bucket? Wonder if one would work for rats? Might need something more like a barrel but may be worth a try...
I was about to suggest the same thing. I've used it and it's worked well. Not my video but give you an idea. I used a metal rod and some small PVC pipe cut to fit.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIlYiiCGLI
IWreckALot
4/24/2017 10:12am
JAFO92 wrote:
Did someone say Rat ? ;) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/24/190130/s1200_ratmobile9.jpg[/img]
Did someone say Rat ? Wink

Lol. That's what I was thinking when I clicked on this thread.
JAFO92
4/24/2017 11:14am
JRT812 wrote:
With these two on patrol, there is very little that moves around here that doesnt get killed and ate.

Manx litter mates.

JRT812
4/24/2017 12:00pm
JRT812 wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
With these two on patrol, there is very little that moves around here that doesnt get killed and ate. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/24/190183/s1200_Cropped_Enhanced.jpg[/img] Manx litter mates.
With these two on patrol, there is very little that moves around here that doesnt get killed and ate.

Manx litter mates.

Nice, used to have one named bob due to the bobtail. That cat lived life on his terms and always did his job. He quickly cleaned up the field mice issue I had in one of my buildings.
JAFO92
4/24/2017 12:57pm
JRT812 wrote:
Nice, used to have one named bob due to the bobtail. That cat lived life on his terms and always did his job. He quickly cleaned...
Nice, used to have one named bob due to the bobtail. That cat lived life on his terms and always did his job. He quickly cleaned up the field mice issue I had in one of my buildings.
These two kill and eat rodents & birds for sure, but what has surprised me most is how they work in a team and hunt down jack rabbits. They eat on the carcass for days. Best barn cats I ever had.

This was just getting started on, and was turned into,,,,

,,, this over night.

A few of these a week during summer.

They claimed this Kory 4-wheel trailer.

Supervising in the round pen.

JRT812
4/24/2017 1:21pm
JRT812 wrote:
Nice, used to have one named bob due to the bobtail. That cat lived life on his terms and always did his job. He quickly cleaned...
JAFO92 wrote:
These two kill and eat rodents & birds for sure, but what has surprised me most is how they work in a team and hunt down...
These two kill and eat rodents & birds for sure, but what has surprised me most is how they work in a team and hunt down jack rabbits. They eat on the carcass for days. Best barn cats I ever had.

This was just getting started on, and was turned into,,,,

,,, this over night.

A few of these a week during summer.

They claimed this Kory 4-wheel trailer.

Supervising in the round pen.

Wow that is crazy! I like the idea of having two cats and them working together. Looks like you have a great pair and a person can't estimate the value of a good barn cat.
4/25/2017 9:43am
Check your toilet, we had one crawling up the sewer main in one of our buildings and coming out the toilet and going back in a couple years ago. The little dude would eat the rat poison and go back in. Lol Woohoo
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/25/2017 3:28pm
Faaack! Hate these motherscratchers but can say Ive really never dealt with them. Was mowing today and saw one run under my deck!! This thread was bad luck!

Got a ton of land and a huge pond behind me. So not really surprised, sure that is the source. Don't really wanna put out poison cause all of the dogs around. Afraid it may get carried around and accidently kill the dogs.
newmann
4/25/2017 7:37pm
captmoto wrote:
I have rats outside and been using sticky traps and spring traps and am getting shut out. I have tried bacon, peanut butter, fruit etc. The...
FastEddy wrote:
You need poison. The kind that they eat that makes them go looking for water and they'll die on the way. Put it around the outside...
You need poison.
The kind that they eat that makes them go looking for water and they'll die on the way.
Put it around the outside of your house around and near the foundation or near areas you've seen them.

Not only no, but hell no. They'll eat that and crawl up in your walls and attics and die. And stink. Way back when, I was killing 40 a season in the paint store/warehouse where I worked with standard rat traps baited with Snickers bars. The ladies in the office thought they would be smart and put bait out in their area. Guess who was burning incense for the stench? Found a few up in the ceiling tiles rotting away after that.

It's a great request for a last dinner.

JAFO92
4/25/2017 7:48pm
Always use glue traps for mice.
MR. X
4/26/2017 3:08am
Joe Rogan was just talking about a documentary on netflix about rats . He said it was amazing how smart they are .
motoman617
4/26/2017 8:10am
I got some critters under my house last year around Thanksgiving. I only knew because I got up late one night to take a piss and could hear them chewing in the wall. My first knee jerk response was to throw some old rat killer pellets under the house (bad mistake) I did the right thing by plugging or covering any entry point around the house. When I came home every bit of the bait I put out was gone. My two snap traps baited with peanut butter were set off and the bait was gone. My glue strip was gone. No idea where it went. I put out more bait and that night it was all gone again. He was eating good for a couple of nights.

Anyway I found out the reason for the saying of 'Pack Rat" is because they carry off the stuff you put out and take it back the their nest for later eating. Pest people came and put out a bunch of jaw type traps all baited with peanut butter. Never caught one but about two weeks later I came home from work and as soon as I came in I knew that smell. One or more had died in a wall. Never did find the body. Bought a bunch of Bad Air Sponges off Amazon and keep the windows open as much as possible and about two weeks later the smell was gone.

You can get those bait stations that they go into then can't get back out. My neighbor has caught quite a few in his backyard with those. Depending on the model you just throw the whole trap away or empty out the dead critter. We have some along the walls outside of the building I work at. I talked to the pest guy one day as he was picking them up and he says they get quite a few each week.

Good luck.
motosmith
4/26/2017 8:47am
captmoto wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
You need poison. The kind that they eat that makes them go looking for water and they'll die on the way. Put it around the outside...
You need poison.

newmann wrote:
Not only no, but hell no. They'll eat that and crawl up in your walls and attics and die. And stink. Way back when, I was...
Not only no, but hell no. They'll eat that and crawl up in your walls and attics and die. And stink. Way back when, I was killing 40 a season in the paint store/warehouse where I worked with standard rat traps baited with Snickers bars. The ladies in the office thought they would be smart and put bait out in their area. Guess who was burning incense for the stench? Found a few up in the ceiling tiles rotting away after that.

It's a great request for a last dinner.

And you would think the smell would dissipate after the carcass rots but no. Somehow the bones still smell. It takes years to get that smell out.
Cygnus
4/26/2017 8:51am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 8:52am
I battle mice and rats From time to time. Living in the country it's just gonna happen. Some years/seasons are much worse than others. I've gotten good at setting snap traps. Still lose some peanut butter but I get them eventually. One trick is to use some fishing line and tie a raisin to the set foot then add the peanut butter. They will try and steal the peanut butter covered raisin to take back home. I have used poison also but the dead mouse in the wall stink sucks.
Also I always put the traps along a wall where they run. Sometimes you can just catch them from walking across the traps. Set lots of traps and rebait everynight. If you hear one snap get up and reset/remove dead mice. If I do I'll almost always catch more. If I leave the dead mouse till morning that will be the only one that night.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
3/31/2018 8:30am
Terminex has attic insulation that keeps pest out. Dries rats eye ducts. Used to have lots of rats but none anymore.
SEEMEFIRST
3/31/2018 5:52pm
JRT812 wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
With these two on patrol, there is very little that moves around here that doesnt get killed and ate. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/24/190183/s1200_Cropped_Enhanced.jpg[/img] Manx litter mates.

Manx litter mates.

I've told you about "Testiclese".
Definitely a badass barner.
ocscottie
3/31/2018 6:37pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I was about to suggest the same thing. I've used it and it's worked well. Not my video but give you an idea. I used a...
I was about to suggest the same thing. I've used it and it's worked well. Not my video but give you an idea. I used a metal rod and some small PVC pipe cut to fit.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIlYiiCGLI
LOL you got me to fall down the YouTube rabbit hole with that clip, spent the last half hour watching that guy make different traps Laughing
71Fish
4/1/2018 8:40am
Time to hire a professional and/or get some Barn cats. Be careful of laying Poison around. Dogs eat it too and will cause them to bleed internally just like rats.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/1/2018 9:39am
Like JAF cats are what works for us. We have 1 kitty that has an incredible body count. No exaggeration when I say she brought us 11 rodents in a 5 day period. I’ve lost count but I’m guessing out of a 365 day year she kills around 125 a year on average. Gophers, mice, rats....no rabbits.

When we first bought our house the lawn was a pile of gopher mounds. Nothing from the store got rid of them. After the kitten matured into a killing machine the gophers were gone within weeks
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
4/1/2018 2:39pm
Not sure if it helps in your area, but I take soured hog corn and put one piece on the trap.

Nighttrain
4/1/2018 6:05pm
I live on a barrier island. Where there is water there are rats. Big Norwegian rats. After 10 years of trapping with mixed results I converted to poisoning the bastards.

6 years ago the coyotes arrived and ate all the outdoor cats plus foxes and raccoons. The rat population exploded after the coyotes moved in. Only the snakes prospered after that. Rat snakes a marvelous creatures that can remove dozens of rats per year. An ad in Craigslist offering to pay $100 for indigenous rat snakes only collected responses from weirdos thinking it was a different type of ad
Tumblin
4/2/2018 1:56pm
Take a garbage can lid and level out a 50/50 mixture of dry instant oatmeal and quickrete...they'll hudle around and become door stops by morning. The oats swell and quickrete hardens in their digestive system. Actually pushes out initial body gasses in the process. Haven't noticed any smells, but have found several of their castings.
I've also seen Coon Hunter types on Craig's training up a pack of Rat Terrior for sport or future business startup? They only want lots of open area, and won't send those killers under houses attics Or any place they can't asses risk for their k9.
I've got a small 8# Weiner girl that loves to "Get the Rats'...some must be her size seems she only wants to make friends! But she knows where they've been last. Pretty confident their species will be what's left of mammals at the end. It doesn't take long to infest an area.

Post a reply to: Rats!!!!!

The Latest