Racoons

Related:
Create New Tag

10/9/2018 8:29 AM

How do you get rid of them?

Our cat has been acting strange for the last couple of weeks. He typically hangs outside at night, comes to the door when he hears us making coffee, and will spend half the day inside sleeping before he goes back out.

Last couple of days he is just not around. (He is crippled with a lobster-claw for a paw, but that does not really restrict his mobility.)

This morning, at 6:00 am, I go out on our deck, and start calling the cat.

Nothing.

I grab a big-assed flashlight, and pan across the back yard, and from behind the blackberry bush in our perimeter landscaping are about 6 pairs of eyes looking back at me.

WTF?

I go towards them, yelling at them, and they all scatter. Not in a super big hurry, but they climbed the fence, and ran along the top of that until they hit the back fence, and then went away.

My wife says to get a trap. While that will work, I don't really want to "deal" with them.

If they were in my back yard last night, I bet they will be in my back yard tonight.

I am thinking bear spray. ESPECIALLY if I can get them to stop, and try to hiss at me.

BAM! Right in the face, hopefully halfway down their gullet.

Will that work?

If not, what else?

|

10/9/2018 9:05 AM

I shoot them with my ruger 10-22 If you want to trap them use marshmallows to bait them into the trap but it best to kill them.

|

Ed Johnson

10/9/2018 9:07 AM

Dog-proof racoon trap

neighbor 3 houses above me has killed over 20 this year, and about 30 skunks. he uses one of these traps and a .22

i had coon problems last year, little fuckers dug a hole in my pool cover. this summer i remodeled my yard and put in a 6' vinyl fence all the way around and haven't had any problems since. but i like my neighbor's method. was probably $40k cheaper than mine.

|

10/9/2018 9:18 AM

Just pick them off with a .22. Lure them in with marshmallows or peanut butter. Aluminum foil works well too. They really like shiny things.

|

10/9/2018 9:19 AM

Don't have available food or water around or trash cans they can open. Think like they are small bears because they are about the same and just as smart. Wont be long and they will move on.

Foxes same thing. Most are looking for houses that leave out pet dishes. No food, they don't hang around long.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/9/2018 9:19 AM

.22 - bam.

Er, crack? Snap?

|

HAF

10/9/2018 9:38 AM

I don't have a problem with the .22 route, but I am in the middle of town. I think the 50 would have an issue with that.

Up until last night, I had the same opinion Moto96. Just remove the food access, and they will move on.

Seeing all of those f*ckers in my back yard pissed me off though.

I want them to feel a little pain, and make a quick determination that there are better places to hang out than my back yard.

|

10/9/2018 9:57 AM

^^^ Just like bears, They dont like noise or people, so rig up a string with some cans or something to make some racket or one of those motion detector lights.
The neighbors used to leave out their pet bowls, and when they moved out, the fox that hung out over there started hanging out on my back porch like he owned the joint.

Gorgeous fucker, I was tempted to give him some treats, but didn't fall for that cuteness. He moved on. TBH, I dont mind seeing them around now and then.

|

10/9/2018 10:00 AM

If you feed your cats outside, you'll have racoons and possums. We used to have a whole damn family of racoons when we had dogs. They would unscrew the lid on the dog food container in the middle of the night and eat buffet style. Had to keep it inside after that. Now that we just have cats, the racoon can eat what the cats don't.

|

10/9/2018 10:23 AM

Fucking coons are heartless chicken killers and kill them just for fun. I go jihad on the worthless trash pandas often.

Photo

|

"We don't rent pigs."

10/9/2018 10:23 AM

A guy I work with let's the fuckers in his house while he gets a plate of food ready for them. He likes them around . They are smart little fuckers ,I watched one hold the lid open on a garbage can while the others jumped in to feed and then held the lid to let them out. I'm not a big fan of them. Any cat food in a trap will get excellent results ,as long as your cat stays clear.

|

10/9/2018 11:35 AM

There are some sprays they don't like.

|

My wife calls you guys the Yahoos.

10/9/2018 12:05 PM

Back when we had cat doors, the damn raccoons would come into the house and belly up to the cat food dish.

I sealed that door up, and we let the cat in and out now.

Yes, I think that cat food outside is not going to happen any longer.

I am jazzed about trying to spray them down with some bear spray tonight.

I wish I had a damn GoPro. I am going to set my alarm for 2:00 am, and ambush those MoFo's.

I will put on my headlight, and have spray in each hand.

Slither out the back door, get to the edge of the deck, turn the headlight on, and the attack will be on!

Somebody is going to wish this whole episode never happened. I hope that someone is not me!

|

10/9/2018 12:08 PM

Moto96 wrote:

^^^ Just like bears, They dont like noise or people, so rig up a string with some cans or something to make some racket or one ...more

This weekend I installed a motion light right over the top of the water dish, which was right next to where the food bowl USED to be.

There has not been any food out there Sunday or last night, but the water dish is not dirty as shit, like it had been the week before.

I think that thing scared the shit out of them, but they are still trying to figure out if this joint is an easy meal or not.

I will have their answer for them tonight.

|

10/9/2018 12:43 PM

Shiftfaced wrote:

Back when we had cat doors, the damn raccoons would come into the house and belly up to the cat food dish.

I sealed that door ...more

Spray downwind

|

10/9/2018 1:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2018 1:27 PM

Go to tractor supply and buy "Golden Marlin Fly Bait"

Cut it 50/50 with grape soda and put a dish out before bed.

Chain up anything you don't want dead.

***edit *** This shit is potent. Most of them don't make it more than 10ft from the dish. You don't have to worry about them suffering(If you care of coruse)

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Yeti SB130LR.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

10/9/2018 2:18 PM

JAFO92 wrote:

Fucking coons are heartless chicken killers and kill them just for fun. I go jihad on the worthless trash pandas often.

Photo

X2. Killed a bunch of chickens and the rooster last year. Gave the ole .22 to them.

|

10/9/2018 2:36 PM

KMC440 wrote:

Spray downwind

Ha ha!

That is some sage advise right there!

|

10/9/2018 3:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2018 3:07 PM

Shiftfaced wrote:

I don't have a problem with the .22 route, but I am in the middle of town. I think the 50 would have an issue with that.

Up ...more

I am in the middle of town so I have to be sneaky. I have a suppressor I put on my 10-22 and make sure its dark and I lay on top of the house and shoot down so I don't have any stray shots. It is no louder than a pellet gun. I have a lot of trees and so I am out of sight of neighbors and such but you don't want to get caught that's for sure. I have a doberman so not many in my back yard but they walk on the fence and use my roof as a roadway to all the other people's houses who leave food out. Sat next to my chimney one night and out of sight and here they came and their they went to raccoon heaven/hell.

|

Ed Johnson

10/9/2018 7:17 PM

What about a high power pellet gun, that should alleviate the in town issues. We trapped them when I was a kid one year when they were really bad. Marshmallows and peanut butter was the ticket, they always came back for it even with the trap in their own blood.

|

10/9/2018 7:29 PM

Trap them humanely in a Havahart live trap and then toss the trap and all in a garbage can full of water.

|

10/10/2018 3:00 AM

laughing
|

10/10/2018 3:01 AM

navalseabee wrote:

What about a high power pellet gun, that should alleviate the in town issues. We trapped them when I was a kid one year when ...more

Then they crawl under a shed or house to die and stink up the neighborhood.

|

10/10/2018 4:55 AM

navalseabee wrote:

What about a high power pellet gun, that should alleviate the in town issues. We trapped them when I was a kid one year when ...more

MR. X wrote:

Then they crawl under a shed or house to die and stink up the neighborhood.

Head shots

|

10/10/2018 10:02 AM

Went into attack mode at 2:00 am, and not one to be seen.

Maybe the chasing them out of the yard Monday night put the scare into them.

I’ll be back out there tonight.

|

10/10/2018 7:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2018 7:47 PM

We had this dude on our street, name was Arlo Nugent, some kinda famous dude with a beard and a pretty haircut and was an expert on everything in life, anyways he would go around and green light these fuckers at night zulu foxtrot style. He has since moved away. Sucks because look who's back. This was taken with the same shitty Arlo system that Bobby has

|

10/11/2018 8:12 AM

c0ncEpT wrote:

Chain up ...more

LMAO.

I like your method but it could be achieved with a less lethal material. That fly bait is deadly shit. Even for humans.

I'd use the same method but use something a little safer, maybe dissolve some rat poison in the soda. That would do the trick too.

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

10/11/2018 8:24 AM

Went on the attack again last night, not a raccoon to be found.

At least in the short term, I think they have made the decision not to tread on my yard.

|

10/11/2018 9:35 AM

Shiftfaced wrote:

Went on the attack again last night, not a raccoon to be found.

At least in the short term, I think they have made the ...more

Did you have cat or dog food out for them? Or is it illegal to hunt over bait?laughing

Here at my house they would always walk under the motorhome to the area where we feed the cats. Never had a clear shot without risking a hole through the garage or motorhome.

|

10/11/2018 9:36 AM

c0ncEpT wrote:

Chain up ...more

motosmith wrote:

LMAO.

I like your method but it could be achieved with a less lethal material. That fly bait is deadly shit. Even for ...more

Doing that is illegal as hell in some areas because scavengers eat the dead animals and die. (Non approved use)

Some guy got in big trouble when F&G found a few dead eagles and dead animals and did autopsies when they found the guy had the stuff out by his barn or outbuilding where anything could get into it.

|