Racing and drugs in the 80's

McG194
Edited Date/Time 9/19/2022 5:12am
I watched the show "Bad Sport" on Netflix that had racecar driver Randy Lanier in it. In the 80's he was funding his racing career that took him as far as rookie of the year at Indy and later watched a Dale Jr. podcast with him and was fascinated. I am currently listening to his book "Survival of the fastest." Holy crap there were a lot of people in racing that were major drug smugglers. Some of the IMSA racers who went to jail on drug charges were Randy (IMSA champion & Indy Rookie of the year), Bill Whittington (Indy 500 racer & LeMans winner), John Paul Sr. (FIA Endurance champion) and John Paul Jr (IMSA Champion) and those are just the guys that Randy Lanier mentions. Who knows how many more were involved in their own activities. Funny thing is he only got caught because he was pretty much flaunting it. Funding a multi million dollar race team with no real visible source of income raises some flags.

Don't even get me started on offshore boat racing from that time. So, many of those guys were funding their racing through drugs it isn't even funny. Ben Kramer was partners with Randy and Sal Magulta and his partner Willy Falcon were the subject of a "Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami" documentary on Netflix.

These guys make J-Law look like a Boy Scout.
|
Searights
9/12/2022 8:26am
Yep, I watched that Netflix doc. Apparently, boat racing is quite expensive. Lol Was a really interesting story.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/12/2022 8:29am
I am a big auto racing from since the 60’s when my dad took us to practically every event at Riverside raceway.
That was a fascinating program on Netflix. I guess it makes sense that there would be some “bad apples” ina sport they requires so much money. What amazed me is the most of the guys you mentioned were pretty good drivers, people think racing a car is easy but it does require talents that most of us do not possess.
McG194
9/12/2022 8:35am
KennyT wrote:
I am a big auto racing from since the 60’s when my dad took us to practically every event at Riverside raceway. That was a fascinating...
I am a big auto racing from since the 60’s when my dad took us to practically every event at Riverside raceway.
That was a fascinating program on Netflix. I guess it makes sense that there would be some “bad apples” ina sport they requires so much money. What amazed me is the most of the guys you mentioned were pretty good drivers, people think racing a car is easy but it does require talents that most of us do not possess.
The mind boggling thing is Randy Lanier never had any real grass roots racing education or any driving academy and was that good. Then came out of jail after 27 years and was teaching track schools.
PNWMXer
9/12/2022 8:44am
Wondered if the Whittingtons would be mentioned…

They were also big into unlimited air racing, which is a great way to have fun while getting rid of excess cash. A family friend raced and as far back I remember, he referred to their airplane(s) as being funded by …ahem, “questionable” means.

The Shop

McG194
9/12/2022 9:08am
PNWMXer wrote:
Wondered if the Whittingtons would be mentioned… They were also big into unlimited air racing, which is a great way to have fun while getting rid...

They were also big into unlimited air racing, which is a great way to have fun while getting rid of excess cash. A family friend raced and as far back I remember, he referred to their airplane(s) as being funded by …ahem, “questionable” means.
That's funny stuff. I can't even fathom the cash to race a P51.

I don't remember if it was in the book or show but Derek Bell was asked about the Lanier team and he said "The only thing I know about that team is the entire pit crew is wearing Rolexes.
7I3N
9/12/2022 7:01pm
PNWMXer wrote:
Wondered if the Whittingtons would be mentioned… They were also big into unlimited air racing, which is a great way to have fun while getting rid...

McG194 wrote:
That's funny stuff. I can't even fathom the cash to race a P51. I don't remember if it was in the book or show but Derek...

I don't remember if it was in the book or show but Derek Bell was asked about the Lanier team and he said "The only thing I know about that team is the entire pit crew is wearing Rolexes.
A friend of mine used to race P51s. His plane dominated the Reno Air Races from 1998 to 2003. When he got into it, he said they could only keep doing it if they won every year and used the prize money to finance the next year's race. In 2004, the weather was sketchy and his pilot won the race, but missed a pylon due to poor visibility because the canopy fogged up. The penalty for the pylon cost them the win and he threw in the towel.

Imagine going 500 MPH, 50 feet off the ground with poor visibility. On second thought, don't imagine, watch.Shocked

McG194
9/12/2022 7:17pm
PNWMXer wrote:

McG194 wrote:
That's funny stuff. I can't even fathom the cash to race a P51. I don't remember if it was in the book or show but Derek...

7I3N wrote:
A friend of mine used to race P51s. His plane dominated the Reno Air Races from 1998 to 2003. When he got into it, he said...
A friend of mine used to race P51s. His plane dominated the Reno Air Races from 1998 to 2003. When he got into it, he said they could only keep doing it if they won every year and used the prize money to finance the next year's race. In 2004, the weather was sketchy and his pilot won the race, but missed a pylon due to poor visibility because the canopy fogged up. The penalty for the pylon cost them the win and he threw in the towel.

Imagine going 500 MPH, 50 feet off the ground with poor visibility. On second thought, don't imagine, watch.Shocked

I'm shocked that there is prize money and more shocked it is enough to pay the expenses. I just figured it was a "Gentleman's Sport."
PNWMXer
9/12/2022 8:22pm
PNWMXer wrote:

McG194 wrote:

7I3N wrote:
A friend of mine used to race P51s. His plane dominated the Reno Air Races from 1998 to 2003. When he got into it, he said...

Dago Red was incredible during that era. It helped that Skip Holm was flying it. Amazing pilot. And yes, at the speed and altitude they’re at, you won’t even have time for an “oh sh..” if things go bad.

PNWMXer
9/12/2022 8:32pm
McG194 wrote:

7I3N wrote:

McG194 wrote:
I'm shocked that there is prize money and more shocked it is enough to pay the expenses. I just figured it was a "Gentleman's Sport."
It more or less is now. Prize money isn’t what it used to be and the costs are higher than ever. Years ago, prize money was decent.
TG130
9/12/2022 9:12pm
PNWMXer wrote:

McG194 wrote:

7I3N wrote:

The Hurricane nearly lost his life at Reno.

Here is an account of what happened and there was an audio file as it happened from Bob himself of the actual incident, but it doesn't seem to play anymore.

http://aafo.com/racing/news/98/day6.htm
7I3N
9/13/2022 5:53am
McG194 wrote:

7I3N wrote:

TG130 wrote:
The Hurricane nearly lost his life at Reno. Here is an account of what happened and there was an audio file as it happened from Bob...
The Hurricane nearly lost his life at Reno.

Here is an account of what happened and there was an audio file as it happened from Bob himself of the actual incident, but it doesn't seem to play anymore.

http://aafo.com/racing/news/98/day6.htm
Terry and Bob are good friends. Hannah is the one that convinced him to get into it and brokered the deal to buy the plane. He witnessed the incident and was the first one up on Hannah's wing when he got the plane back on the ground.
Joey_Bridges
9/13/2022 6:55am
There was a skydiving drop zone close to the gulf of Mexico that had an old twin beechcraft that was never around during most weekdays.
Rumor was he was making regular "low altitude" flights across the gulf and back on a regular basis.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
9/13/2022 8:58am
Well, NASCAR was born from bootlegging
TM
McG194
9/13/2022 11:35am
There was a skydiving drop zone close to the gulf of Mexico that had an old twin beechcraft that was never around during most weekdays. Rumor...
There was a skydiving drop zone close to the gulf of Mexico that had an old twin beechcraft that was never around during most weekdays.
Rumor was he was making regular "low altitude" flights across the gulf and back on a regular basis.
To tie in low altitude flying and motorcycles. The old AMI (American Motorcycle Institute which became Wyotech) campus in Daytona Beach was a converted motel that was located just west of the runway for the Daytona airport. Rumor is that they would aim for the pool when making drops.
Fox88
Fantasy
22nd
9/13/2022 12:03pm
Rumor has it that a lot of the surf industry was built on drug smuggling money. Lord knows there has been lots of surfing and traveling funded by transporting, etc. There was a documentary on those times that was made a decade or so ago that still hasn't been released, making it somewhat controversial. Every once in a while, a bootleg version will pop up but never for long..

olds cool
9/13/2022 1:25pm
I stumbled across a youtube video a couple of weeks ago about when the Whittington brothers owned Road Atlanta. Evidently, they were landing an airplane on the long straight of the road course during the week to unload what they were bringing in from out of the country. IMSA was known as the International Marijuana Smugglers Association back in the day. There was a great story about how they bought their ride for LeMans. Fun times!
SEEMEFIRST
9/13/2022 5:59pm
I was 21, had a house, a truck, a back up car, a practice bike and a race bike making $20.00/hour.

How did that happen?
Nairb#70
9/13/2022 6:07pm
Not sure of the details, but wasn't the pro stock NHRA driver Darrell Alderman suspected or convicted of some pretty serious drug charges?
Rawly
9/13/2022 9:28pm
Herb O’Brien started H.O. waterskis while in prison after getting busted for shipping cocaine in hollowed out O’Brien skis.
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
9/14/2022 3:27am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2022 3:30am
Growing up, my best friends dad raced APBA offshore powerboats. Nothing crazy, he raced a 28’ Seahawk that was beat to shit, but He raced during the Don Johnson/Chuck Norris years. I used to travel with them to Florida every year and to other races around the east coast and Great Lakes. Man, I wish I’d been about 10 years older because the shit that I saw as a 14yo, I can only imagine what happened after I went to bed. Those offshore guys had a sweet thing going for a long time before all the Ben Kramer , Don Arronow cocaine cowboys shit started happening.

The 80/90’s were pretty awesome lol
Vet57
9/14/2022 4:35am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I was 21, had a house, a truck, a back up car, a practice bike and a race bike making $20.00/hour.

How did that happen?
Tax refund?
McG194
9/14/2022 7:51am
crowe660 wrote:
Growing up, my best friends dad raced APBA offshore powerboats. Nothing crazy, he raced a 28’ Seahawk that was beat to shit, but He raced during...
Growing up, my best friends dad raced APBA offshore powerboats. Nothing crazy, he raced a 28’ Seahawk that was beat to shit, but He raced during the Don Johnson/Chuck Norris years. I used to travel with them to Florida every year and to other races around the east coast and Great Lakes. Man, I wish I’d been about 10 years older because the shit that I saw as a 14yo, I can only imagine what happened after I went to bed. Those offshore guys had a sweet thing going for a long time before all the Ben Kramer , Don Arronow cocaine cowboys shit started happening.

At that same time my dad had a 36 foot Cigarette that had a couple really healthy big blocks, no interior and four 125 gallon gas tanks. Hmmmmmmmmmm

He hung out with a lot of racers and there were some shady dudes. I don't remember hearing a lot of guys say "I can't afford that." I do remember being at the marina and a world champ was waiting for his new personal boat to be delivered which was a hot rod cat. I asked him about it and all he said was "Does 114, sleeps four." Back in the 80's that was moving fast. He would roll into town with his race boat and his Porsche on the trailer.
LungButter
9/14/2022 9:47am
McG194 wrote:
At that same time my dad had a 36 foot Cigarette that had a couple really healthy big blocks, no interior and four 125 gallon gas...
At that same time my dad had a 36 foot Cigarette that had a couple really healthy big blocks, no interior and four 125 gallon gas tanks. Hmmmmmmmmmm

He hung out with a lot of racers and there were some shady dudes. I don't remember hearing a lot of guys say "I can't afford that." I do remember being at the marina and a world champ was waiting for his new personal boat to be delivered which was a hot rod cat. I asked him about it and all he said was "Does 114, sleeps four." Back in the 80's that was moving fast. He would roll into town with his race boat and his Porsche on the trailer.
So your Dad was a drug smuggler?

Sweet.

I did a couple runs from Washington to Colorado back in the day with about 200 pounds of "cat nip". Nerve wracking shit.
SEEMEFIRST
9/14/2022 10:11am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

How did that happen?
Vet57 wrote:
Tax refund?
That, and I was very thrifty. Laughing
wildbill
9/14/2022 4:26pm
I once had a boss who's brother lived in Columbia. Plus, I played metal guitar in the 80's. Yes, it did help my 32nd note runs.
SEEMEFIRST
9/14/2022 5:13pm
wildbill wrote:
I once had a boss who's brother lived in Columbia. Plus, I played metal guitar in the 80's. Yes, it did help my 32nd note runs.
Hahahaha.
Didn't work with Quaaludes though, did it?
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
9/14/2022 5:42pm
crowe660 wrote:
Growing up, my best friends dad raced APBA offshore powerboats. Nothing crazy, he raced a 28’ Seahawk that was beat to shit, but He raced during...

McG194 wrote:
At that same time my dad had a 36 foot Cigarette that had a couple really healthy big blocks, no interior and four 125 gallon gas...

I went for a ride in my dads buddy’s 41’ Saber Banshee (41’ Apache mold) a couple weekends ago in Lake Michigan. Staggered twin turbo Sterlings making 1100+hp each. 3-5’ waves and it was like riding on pillows doing 80-90. He showed me the GPS history of him hitting 120mph. Just unreal. Those boats are another world now. I asked him how it would stack up against Kramer’s Warpath race boat and he said it’s an entirely new ball game now. I still can’t believe how solid feeling it was.

https://youtube.com/shorts/dPfiEpd-ZnI?feature=share
McG194
9/15/2022 5:36am
McG194 wrote:

LungButter wrote:
So your Dad was a drug smuggler? Sweet. I did a couple runs from Washington to Colorado back in the day with about 200 pounds of...
So your Dad was a drug smuggler?

Sweet.

I did a couple runs from Washington to Colorado back in the day with about 200 pounds of "cat nip". Nerve wracking shit.
I'm not sure I would call him that but he did pay a half a million dollars to go live at Club Fed for 3-5 years. lol
McG194
9/15/2022 5:45am
crowe660 wrote:

McG194 wrote:

crowe660 wrote:
I went for a ride in my dads buddy’s 41’ Saber Banshee (41’ Apache mold) a couple weekends ago in Lake Michigan. Staggered twin turbo Sterlings...
I went for a ride in my dads buddy’s 41’ Saber Banshee (41’ Apache mold) a couple weekends ago in Lake Michigan. Staggered twin turbo Sterlings making 1100+hp each. 3-5’ waves and it was like riding on pillows doing 80-90. He showed me the GPS history of him hitting 120mph. Just unreal. Those boats are another world now. I asked him how it would stack up against Kramer’s Warpath race boat and he said it’s an entirely new ball game now. I still can’t believe how solid feeling it was.

Linky no worky. I do agree, boats today are just bonkers fast.

crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
9/17/2022 12:17pm
McG194 wrote:

crowe660 wrote:
I went for a ride in my dads buddy’s 41’ Saber Banshee (41’ Apache mold) a couple weekends ago in Lake Michigan. Staggered twin turbo Sterlings...

McG194 wrote:
Linky no worky. I do agree, boats today are just bonkers fast.

Laaaame.. It’s a video of me trying to not lose my phone looking at the rooster on this thing. It’s wild how quiet these are with turbos instead of superchargers.

Post a reply to: Racing and drugs in the 80's

The Latest