Trailer/RV questions

MelonFan123
Edited Date/Time 11/22/2017 12:55am
So the wife and I are looking at buying a travel trailer, first time owning one.

From those that have owned or currently own one, any good advice on things to look for? Looking in the 26-28' size range and needs to be 1/2 ton towable, will be using my 2015 Tundra to haul it.

So far the Keystone Cougar has caught my eye. As well as some of the Forest River brands.

Anything I should know before the big purchase?
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/14/2017 9:56pm
26-28' may be big for a half-ton. My trailer is a 21-footer, and I'm not sure I'd want to go much bigger than that. But I do go around the whole country with it. Maybe for closer to home bigger would be okay. Just check the towing capacity, and the weight of the trailer.

When I first started doing this, my dad said it's not what you can tow, it's what you can stop...

I added airbags to the back of the Tundra to stiffen it up.

Generator onboard? Or in the bed of the truck? You'll need power.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/14/2017 10:00pm

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/14/2017 10:02pm

MelonFan123
6/14/2017 11:13pm
I've seen your pics on here and Instagram Gibby, i like your set up!

Trust me 26-28' is max size that i'm willing to go for. The wife wants all the room she can handle so that's the size we have compromised on. Most of our traveling will be fairly local weekend trips: desert, up to the sierras, beach camping, that sorta thing. I would like to do Utah/Colorado trips as well but those would be less frequent. If i was doing the cross country zig zagging like you I would definitely go for something like yours.

Regarding the tow ratings and stopping issue - trust me I know what you're getting at. There's a popular Tundra forum that has a "towing and hauling" sub-forum and the opinions and advice there are all over the map, and its quite humorous at times between the "tow capacity nazi" types and the more laid back "it tows and works fine for me" crowd is pretty entertaining. The model i'm looking at is 6700# dry and fully loaded around 8300#, with tongue weight of about 800#, both well under the capacities i'm rated for.

What brand of air bags do you have on there, any issues with them? Did it affect the ride of the truck when not towing?

For power, I can get a Honda generator at dealer cost so i will probably get either an EU3000 or maybe a pair of EU2000s to piggy back.

The Shop

scooter5002
6/15/2017 12:35am
Never hauled an RV with a pickup, my towing is of the slightly larger variety. Currently 70 tons through the Rockies. To back up what Steve said, as per his Dad's wisdom, pull what you can stop. Had a guy pass me going the opposite way on his way down Kootenay Pass in BC, a 6-7% grade for a long stretch. I could see from a quite a distance, his brakes were smoking hard, and he was flying. By choice? Maybe not, but it didn't matter. It wasn't that big of a trailer, and how heavy it was, or his speed at the top, I couldn't tell you. Would guess it was somewhat of a white knuckle ride for him, assuming he was smart enough to realize there was a problem. No fresh tracks off the side of the hill the next time I went up, so I'm guessing he made it. Or shot off the side so far on launch, he didn't leave a trail. On the upside, there was a lot of traffic behind him, gagging on his brake smoke. Also potential rescue people or witnesses, depending on the outcome of his descent. Just a little tip for some mountain towing, from yer old pal scooter.
mattmatt300
6/15/2017 1:03am
I live in my camper for weeks or months at a time for work. It's 7000 dry and 30 feet and I pull it with my 2015 Sierra. Longest I've pulled was about 900 miles. My advice would be to get a weight distributing hitch from day one. 50 amp service if at all possible. 2 air conditioners depending on where you're planning on going. Glass door shower is a huge plus unless you're just a tiny person.
6/15/2017 4:50am
Mine is just a foot bigger than Steve's and I pull it No problem with my Tacoma. That said, I bought my Tacoma with the full-blown "off road" towing package. Plus it is a 4WD. If it is just you and the wife, 25 foot will be very nice. You only need a generator if you're going to dry camp somewhere. I've done that at the track, but your waste tank is only going to cover you for 2 to 3 days. Gray tank fills up quick with taking showers.
6/15/2017 4:52am
I live in my camper for weeks or months at a time for work. It's 7000 dry and 30 feet and I pull it with my...
I live in my camper for weeks or months at a time for work. It's 7000 dry and 30 feet and I pull it with my 2015 Sierra. Longest I've pulled was about 900 miles. My advice would be to get a weight distributing hitch from day one. 50 amp service if at all possible. 2 air conditioners depending on where you're planning on going. Glass door shower is a huge plus unless you're just a tiny person.
Yes on the weight distribution hitch! I bought the most expensive hitch they had and I'm glad I did. I could pull Scooters semi with that thing!
MR. X
6/15/2017 5:02am
My parents are full time camper dwellers while they are up here during the warm months. Ive picked up a couple bits of advice ive heard my dad mention. He was saying that the newer campers ,the light weight ones that everyone is interested in, they buy a bigger camper that is light weight but with light weight comes less rigidity and you'll start to notice cabinets that don't stay closed ,his buddy had a camper and both mirrors fell off the wall. Before the wife totaled the F150 we did a lot of looking around and were ready to buy a Rockwood roo 21ss , it's one of those hybrids with a single super slide , 2 fold out on the end.
MudPup545
6/15/2017 5:05am
My best advice is this, make sure the tounge and corner stabilizers are power. It will save a lot of hand cranking. And if you're field camping ( no hook ups ) invest in a honey pot and make sure the generator you buy is big enough to run the AC. I learned that lesson the hard way on a very hot August day.

MR. X
6/15/2017 5:11am
Just realized you are from out west ,a lot of parks don't let you leave a soft sided fold out extended when staying in bear country.
huck
6/15/2017 7:01am
I have a 30' bumper pull that I pull with a 1/2 ton. It works just fine. Make sure that your truck has aux brakes and a distribution hitch and you'll be fine.

I went from a 22' with soft pull outs, to a 27', to a 43' toy hauler, and now have a 30' bumper. The 30 footer is probably my favorite, do to it's big enough to have a bunk room in the back for the kids, and still pretty easy to drag around.

Slides are good. The bigger, the better. Our new one has a nice outside kitchen too. The extra fridge and sink are nice. It had a separate door to the bathroom from the outside too, which is super handy.
huck
6/15/2017 7:04am
MudPup545 wrote:
My best advice is this, make sure the tounge and corner stabilizers are power. It will save a lot of hand cranking. And if you're field...
My best advice is this, make sure the tounge and corner stabilizers are power. It will save a lot of hand cranking. And if you're field camping ( no hook ups ) invest in a honey pot and make sure the generator you buy is big enough to run the AC. I learned that lesson the hard way on a very hot August day.

My new camper has crank corner supports...I solved that by buying a $39 cordless drill from Wal-Mart. I just leave it on the camper and it works great, and way faster than any of the electric jacks.
brlatm
6/15/2017 7:53am
I live in my camper for weeks or months at a time for work. It's 7000 dry and 30 feet and I pull it with my...
I live in mine as well for 2 weeks out of the month (since we are the same general line of work). And yes 2 air conditioners!! I only have 1 in mine and it's hot as balls out here in Pecos with 1 fucking A/C in an older toy hauler.

I had a bumper pull before and the weight distributing hitch is a life saver.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
6/15/2017 8:05am
For the sake of it all, if you could manage to replace your half ton with a 3/4 you won't have to worry about a few extra thousand. You WILL burn up your half tons pulling heavy often. I take a full size RZR in the back of a long wheel base truck 3/4 ton with a 38' camper out all the time. Usually full of food fuel and water for a few weeks. No issues at 75 on the highway or stopping fast if needed.
MelonFan123
6/15/2017 9:13am
Some great insight, thanks all.

Weight distribution and anti-sway hitch are on the must-have list and I plan on negotiating one into the deal with the purchase of the rig. Air bags will be the next item to get after that. Truck is pre-wired for a trailer brake control and I found the one I plan on getting, the Tekonsha P3.

Most of our camping will be dry and the Keystone Cougar thats our front runner has 60 gallon fresh, 38 gallon waste, and 76 gallon gray tanks. Should be plenty for the weekend trips we'll mostly be doing. Also, kids are in the plan down the road so we plan on growing into whatever we buy.

Huck, I agree on the cordless drill idea for the levelers. Most of my buddy's do the same. I looked at one unit that had electric leveling jacks and all i saw in those was more weight and another expensive motorized item that could break down the road. Thanks for the insight on the outdoor kitchen, i've seen a few with those and was debating whether its something we would use. I guess you don't know until you try it, ha!
MelonFan123
6/15/2017 9:17am
imoto34 wrote:
For the sake of it all, if you could manage to replace your half ton with a 3/4 you won't have to worry about a few...
For the sake of it all, if you could manage to replace your half ton with a 3/4 you won't have to worry about a few extra thousand. You WILL burn up your half tons pulling heavy often. I take a full size RZR in the back of a long wheel base truck 3/4 ton with a 38' camper out all the time. Usually full of food fuel and water for a few weeks. No issues at 75 on the highway or stopping fast if needed.
I know what you mean, but it just doesn't make sense for us to upgrade the truck at this point. No UTVs or heavy stuff for me to tow in addition to the trailer, just my one dirt bike on desert and mx track trips. So as long as i stay in the lower grade of the "1/2 ton towable" marketed trucks I should be fine with the Tundra.

rubarb
6/15/2017 12:07pm
Ha, I thought this thread was going to be about Villaputo
6/15/2017 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2017 1:12pm
Some great insight, thanks all. Weight distribution and anti-sway hitch are on the must-have list and I plan on negotiating one into the deal with the...
Some great insight, thanks all.

Weight distribution and anti-sway hitch are on the must-have list and I plan on negotiating one into the deal with the purchase of the rig. Air bags will be the next item to get after that. Truck is pre-wired for a trailer brake control and I found the one I plan on getting, the Tekonsha P3.

Most of our camping will be dry and the Keystone Cougar thats our front runner has 60 gallon fresh, 38 gallon waste, and 76 gallon gray tanks. Should be plenty for the weekend trips we'll mostly be doing. Also, kids are in the plan down the road so we plan on growing into whatever we buy.

Huck, I agree on the cordless drill idea for the levelers. Most of my buddy's do the same. I looked at one unit that had electric leveling jacks and all i saw in those was more weight and another expensive motorized item that could break down the road. Thanks for the insight on the outdoor kitchen, i've seen a few with those and was debating whether its something we would use. I guess you don't know until you try it, ha!
Melonbro, to each his own. I thought I was going to be doing a lot of dry camping too, but after I did it a few times...well...

It's nice having hook-ups. When you're done camping, you're done. Dry camping means finding a place, stopping and paying and flushing the tanks. It's not that big of a hassle, but it must be done.

The other thing about dry camping - and this is obviously personal preference - but I like to shower as long as I want or need to. I like to use the sinks, the toilet, and whatever. When you're dry camping, you're just going to have to take my word for it, if you live like you live at your house, those tanks will fill up quick and your water will go fast. When I graduated from a tent to a camper, I was tired of being frugal and roughing it. I even took the dang restriction thingie they put in the shower and round filed it. So, I'll still dry camp, but for us more than one night is pushing it doing a dry camp. Be really frugal and maybe get three nights out of it if you barely use the toilet and shower. Drop your deuces out in the woods - that will save a lot of space in the black tank. Take short showers or just dump the gray tank when no one is looking. It's just shower water and sink water. Little soap, little tooth paste.

Again, that's all personal preference. To each his own. No matter what, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Also, I use a cordless impact to drive my corner levelers. I just keep a 3/4 socket in the camper and bring along the impact wrench with a full charge. Works great. Literally takes seconds to drive them down into position. I had those little level indicators you stick on the side and front of the camper, but didn't like them. I just keep an old 2 foot long level in the camper now.
6/15/2017 7:09pm
I have a 92 Chevy 3/4 ton that I use to pull my 25 foot camper that I have been living in for about a year with my new wife while we save for a house. We have water and electricity hook ups so it isn't bad. The truck didn't have any issues pulling up and over hills. The fuel mileage was horrible though, I think got 6 or 7 mpg hauling it across the country.

One regret that we have is that our camper doesn't have pop outs, when we are both getting ready for work it makes things a little tight. We bought ours brand new. We have had a few leaks in the plumbing, but that has been our only issue. They were easy fixes. The craftsmanship on this trailer is pretty cheap, but most campers will be the same. It's not like they are building them to last long like a house.

Most trailers come with very cheap tires when you buy them. We had a blow out driving through Vegas when it was 110 degrees outside. If you have AAA they will come help you. We didn't have a jack strong enough to lift the trailer so we were stranded until they came.

mattmatt300
6/16/2017 12:12am
I dry camp basically for work. My holding tanks are all 3 30 gallons. With just me in the trailer my black tank is good for 2-3 weeks typically. Gray water goes on the ground. I use about 10 gallons of fresh water a day myself.
mattmatt300
6/16/2017 12:15am
brlatm wrote:
I live in mine as well for 2 weeks out of the month (since we are the same general line of work). And yes 2 air...
I live in mine as well for 2 weeks out of the month (since we are the same general line of work). And yes 2 air conditioners!! I only have 1 in mine and it's hot as balls out here in Pecos with 1 fucking A/C in an older toy hauler.

I had a bumper pull before and the weight distributing hitch is a life saver.
The only good things about Pecos are the RV park and La Nortena tamales. I don't miss it down there at all.
brlatm
6/16/2017 7:25am
The only good things about Pecos are the RV park and La Nortena tamales. I don't miss it down there at all.
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Dude those tamales are legit! And I'm way the fuck in BFE, no Kings Rd RV camping for me.....yet. My names on the list.
MelonFan123
11/20/2017 7:08am
Well, after a long time kicking tires and stopping in to every RV dealer we pass by, finally picked one up over the weekend. Rockwood 2703ws. Just in time for Day in the Dirt Tongue

huck
11/20/2017 9:18am
Nice rig...but it looks like you might have picked up a hitchhiker along the way...
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/20/2017 10:50am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2017 10:52am
Melon,
Don't forget your "towing capacity" is only so good as your Gross Vehicle Combined Max weight. You can't run your full towing capacity if you are going to put your whole load over the limit by taking 4 passengers and 1,000 pounds of stuff in the Tundra as well. Study all that carefully and make sure you understand the differences.

Also, when you are done camping, dump your blackwater first, then dump the gray. The gray water will help rinse out some of the gross stuff.

I always used to refill my clean water storage right after camping so I had a full tank. It helps to drop a capful of bleach in it so you don't get any bacteria or mold.

Keep some rubber conditioner on the tires and try to shade them when the trailer is being stored. Those tires will rot long before they wear out unless you are towing a whole lot.

EDIT: I just missed your post about the new trailer. Congrats! Pay attention to the GVWR thing with a trailer that large.
huck
11/20/2017 11:27am
Falcon wrote:
Melon, Don't forget your "towing capacity" is only so good as your Gross Vehicle Combined Max weight. You can't run your full towing capacity if you...
Melon,
Don't forget your "towing capacity" is only so good as your Gross Vehicle Combined Max weight. You can't run your full towing capacity if you are going to put your whole load over the limit by taking 4 passengers and 1,000 pounds of stuff in the Tundra as well. Study all that carefully and make sure you understand the differences.

Also, when you are done camping, dump your blackwater first, then dump the gray. The gray water will help rinse out some of the gross stuff.

I always used to refill my clean water storage right after camping so I had a full tank. It helps to drop a capful of bleach in it so you don't get any bacteria or mold.

Keep some rubber conditioner on the tires and try to shade them when the trailer is being stored. Those tires will rot long before they wear out unless you are towing a whole lot.

EDIT: I just missed your post about the new trailer. Congrats! Pay attention to the GVWR thing with a trailer that large.
I disagree about refilling the fresh water storage...why drag around an extra 350 pounds of water? Especially since he is close to max weight....

I'd always fill mine up along the way, when I'd get close to my destination.
MelonFan123
11/20/2017 2:24pm
Huck, where are you able to fill up using potable water while on the road? Gas stations?

Falcon - lots of good info, thanks!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/20/2017 2:49pm
Falcon wrote:
Melon, Don't forget your "towing capacity" is only so good as your Gross Vehicle Combined Max weight. You can't run your full towing capacity if you...
Melon,

huck wrote:
I disagree about refilling the fresh water storage...why drag around an extra 350 pounds of water? Especially since he is close to max weight.... I'd always...
I disagree about refilling the fresh water storage...why drag around an extra 350 pounds of water? Especially since he is close to max weight....

I'd always fill mine up along the way, when I'd get close to my destination.
You are right about the extra weight - in my case it was more like 500 pounds and worth it. I had a 20' trailer and only put my MX bike and wife's ATV in it. The benefits are:

-Keeps the trailer from stinking like mildew
-You always have a fresh water supply of 60 gallons in case there's an earthquake
-One fewer task you have to perform when preparing to go on the trip

I can see why someone wouldn't want to do it my way though. If you leave it empty, drain it all the way and leave the fill cap open so it doesn't get condensation in the system.

Here's another tip:
Get the toilet chem stuff and dump it into your toilet after each trip (after you dump the blackwater.) Fluch the toilet for a minute or so, so that you have some water sloshing around in there too. This will ensure you get that new trailer smell when stepping inside, instead of that portable toilet smell. Laughing

Post a reply to: Trailer/RV questions

The Latest