Quick Gaming Simulator Question

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2020 9:49 PM

I play heaps of Dirt rally but I'm using a controller..

In case anyone reading doesn't know/remember/care haha I'm a low quadriplegic (c7) so I can use my hands but I'm pretty limited.. I don't have enough 'squeeze' to hold the controller and press the buttons, so now I put the controller on my lap and use the kinda outside of my right thumb on the x and square for gas and brake and the same on my left for steering, but after doing this for years my thumbs are starting to really hurt all the time at the base of them near the wrist, which is obviously not ideal..

My question may be obvious but is there a reason I couldn't put the pedals on my lap or next to the wheel and have one hand operating the pedals and one hand steering?
Or is there a more known way that dudes do it that I'm obviously not aware of?
Thanks in advance for all the really good ideas broseph's

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

4/4/2020 10:35 PM

Not sure if you'd be able to use one of the following, but maybe contact them to see if they can help you out.

https://www.simability.com/

Dual ring steering wheel. Pull to gas, push to brake or you can switch it so you pull to brake and push to gas .

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/4/2020 10:44 PM

could you use the paddles for the shifter as brake and throttle?

|

4/4/2020 10:53 PM

I know I read on the IRacing forums that SimXperience helped out Robert Wickens get a setup to use for the new IRacing Indycar Esports race. He raced with it today.

They are a great company and make some nice rigs. I have their AccuForce V1 wheelbase on my rig. I’m sure if you contacted them they can help you out or point you in the right direction.

|

4/4/2020 10:59 PM

Mav I've seen that Jessy Nelson runs a similar set up in his Razor but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to use the 'pull' action with my fingers.. I was hoping there'd be an easier fix as well if I'm honest haha

I guess another question would be can you configure a sim wheel and pedals to any way you want?
Like could I configure a sequential gear lever to be back = gas and forward= brake? Or something like that?

I mean I play now with out the controls being 'gradual'

|

4/4/2020 11:02 PM

jemcee wrote:

Mav I've seen that Jessy Nelson runs a similar set up in his Razor but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to use the 'pull' action with my fingers.. I was hoping there'd be an easier fix as well if I'm honest haha

I guess another question would be can you configure a sim wheel and pedals to any way you want?
Like could I configure a sequential gear lever to be back = gas and forward= brake? Or something like that?

on Iracing you can setup the buttons any way you like,

|

4/4/2020 11:03 PM

scott_nz wrote:

I've been thinking that too, but I could only push them 'out' or 'away' that could work if I could configure each side separately could get confusing though haha

|

4/4/2020 11:04 PM

scott_nz wrote:

jemcee wrote:

I've been thinking that too, but I could only push them 'out' or 'away' that could work if I could configure each side separately could get confusing though haha

most wheels i have seen only have them pulling to change gears, not pushing,

what games are you looking to play?

|

4/4/2020 11:05 PM

jemcee wrote:

scott_nz wrote:

on Iracing you can setup the buttons any way you like,

I'm on PS4 but you'd think that it would be the same

(I'm assuming Iracing is pc? I'm probably kooking that though haha)

|

4/4/2020 11:16 PM

scott_nz wrote:

jemcee wrote:

scott_nz wrote:

most wheels i have seen only have them pulling to change gears, not pushing,

what games are you looking to play?

Oh of course I was thinking they'd go both ways for up and down gears but they prob don't work that way at all haha show's how often I've been in supercars or close to haha

Yeah mainly just rally games or close.. Not too seriously just for an hour or two to keep the bug fed haha

|

4/4/2020 11:17 PM

jemcee wrote:

I'm on PS4 but you'd think that it would be the same

(I'm assuming Iracing is pc? I'm probably kooking that though haha)

yep iracing is PC, i presume most games are similar and you can control them how you like,

|

4/4/2020 11:19 PM

motoman617 wrote:

I know I read on the IRacing forums that SimXperience helped out Robert Wickens get a setup to use for the new IRacing Indycar Esports race. He raced with it today.

They are a great company and make some nice rigs. I have their AccuForce V1 wheelbase on my rig. I’m sure if you contacted them they can help you out or point you in the right direction.

That's awesome if I can't work out an easier fix I'll contact them and see they can give my brother some ideas.. He's a fitter and machinist so he'll work it out haha

|

4/4/2020 11:20 PM

Once all the crazyness passes I'll go down to a gaming place and see what they reckon

|

4/4/2020 11:28 PM

On the IRacing forums there is a whole section for simracers with disabilities. Some really interesting ideas on there.

Here is a post and picture I found on there. Sounds like you could use this Fanatec wheel setup to make the second set of analog paddles into your gas and brake but they would be pull levers. I have one of these rims and paddles on my PS4 setup with my Fanatec wheel base and the analog paddles are a really light pull if that helps you.

I have a rare disability called lumbosacral agenesis which basically means the lumbar part of my spine is completely missing as well as my sacrum. So naturally I'm a paraplegic and I have a very short stature.

I currently use a Fanatec V2 F1 rim with the podium paddles behind the wheel for gas and brake. I bought them directly through Fanatec but changed the paddle configuration slightly. See picture below. Before that I used the Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel that has plastic clutch paddles behind the wheel. I love that rim but the plastic clutch paddles do slightly wear with extended use. One of the main reasons I decided to switch to the V2 rim and podium paddles.

Photo

|

4/5/2020 12:30 AM

Yeah ok.. That's interesting, it does sound like all those levers behind the wheel are pull only but I might be able to jimmy something up..
Thanks

|

4/5/2020 3:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2020 3:09 AM

I know it's a UK link but, this might help "steer" you in the right direction.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adrenalin-Steering-Wheel-Without-Pedals/dp/B00005UBQ3
Photo

|

4/5/2020 3:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2020 3:28 AM

Makes me think of using elbows or other parts to press a lever for throttle and braking etc ...

|

4/5/2020 3:53 AM

Photo
|

4/5/2020 4:09 AM

KMC440 wrote:

Makes me think of using elbows or other parts to press a lever for throttle and braking etc ...

Haha yeah I've tried a few other body parts.. like pushing the top buttons (L/R 2) into my leg but I can't feel my leg so I wasn't sure if I was on the gas on or not..
I used to use, this is hard to explain, where the index finger meets the palm to press the buttons but it's not really accurate enough for Dirt or the sx game kept blowing through turns haha

|

4/5/2020 4:18 AM

I'm thinking of a lever under each armpit to squeeze for throttle and brake. Obviously everyones situation is different, just a thought.

|

4/5/2020 4:18 AM

EZZA 95B wrote: Photo

What I see happening with that is the same that happens now haha
I tried using the right toggle as
Forward= brake
Backward= gas

Well it starts good but in the heat of the game I end up pushing back and forward as hard as I push the buttons
Putting exactly the same sort of forces through my thumbs haha

What I am getting from all this is no you can just put the pedals up near the wheel and press them with my hands haha

|

4/5/2020 4:30 AM

KMC440 wrote:

I'm thinking of a lever under each armpit to squeeze for throttle and brake. Obviously everyones situation is different, just a thought.

Yeah it's a good one and ya gonna probably think I'm makin this up but I can't feel under my arms either haha

C7's are weird man.. our feeling and movements are a bit confusing but I always say if I put my arms out thumbs up and you draw a straight line from between my middle and ring finger I can only feel above the line
This kinda explains it but it's confusing as well haha
Photo

|

4/5/2020 4:31 AM

jemcee wrote:

What I see happening with that is the same that happens now haha
I tried using the right toggle as
Forward= brake
Backward= gas

Well it starts good but in the heat of the game I end up pushing back and forward as hard as I push the buttons
Putting exactly the same sort of forces through my thumbs haha

What I am getting from all this is no you can just put the pedals up near the wheel and press them with my hands haha

Obviously a mission but, if you could rig some kind of extension to make it more like a gearstick?

|

4/5/2020 4:35 AM

EZZA 95B wrote:

I know it's a UK link but, this might help "steer" you in the right direction.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adrenalin-Steering-Wheel-Without-Pedals/dp/B00005UBQ3
Photo

There was another one on that link that might work.. The more I think about it, I might have to go to a gaming shop and see what's available

|

4/5/2020 4:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2020 4:40 AM

EZZA 95B wrote:

Obviously a mission but, if you could rig some kind of extension to make it more like a gearstick?

I've seen dudes that have got a sequential gear lever set up I reckon that would be ideal..

I used to worry about chicks not wanting to root me if they see a nerdy simulator in my loungeroom

I'm starting to care less about that, as I'm playing my playstation a lot more than I've got chicks that might root me in my house haha

|

4/5/2020 4:59 AM

jemcee wrote:

I've seen dudes that have got a sequential gear lever set up I reckon that would be ideal..

I used to worry about chicks not wanting to root me if they see a nerdy simulator in my loungeroom

I'm starting to care less about that, as I'm playing my playstation a lot more than I've got chicks that might root me in my house haha

😂👍

|

4/5/2020 5:25 AM

Just throwing ideas out there. I know you said your thumbs are struggle but...

https://www.3drap.it/product/hand-controller-throttle-and-brake-gaming-is-possible/

Photo

|

4/5/2020 5:35 AM

I can't say if that would solve my problem or continue it haha as I'm trying to stop using my thumbs but that might make me use them in a different way

|

4/5/2020 9:58 AM

Hey Jem , there are options out there for sure. I have two Fanatec F1 rims ( standard CF and a limited edition ). The LE rim has about 3 x the capabilities then the standard version. Also , like some have mentioned , the iracing forums are really helpful. I'm not a member on there any more , but if you get on there , or just Google a guy named " Sam Maxwell " .......he custom makes rims to your liking. I sent him my BMW rim so he could swap out my worn out hardware that attaches to the wheel base.

Photo

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

4/5/2020 10:09 AM

EZZA 95B wrote:

Just throwing ideas out there. I know you said your thumbs are struggle but...

https://www.3drap.it/product/hand-controller-throttle-and-brake-gaming-is-possible/

Photo

that looks pretty damn cool!! I always hated getting smoked by all my friends with wheels, i'd just take em out any chance i got LOL

You guys ever played the game Flatout? best racing game EVER!! Man we had some good times...

watch this LOL

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook