Question for paint/autobody guys

Related:
Create New Tag

1/9/2018 9:02 AM

I recently bought an 05 4Runner for the girlfriend. It was a 1 owner car with low miles but you could tell the woman that owned it before me had kids and wasn't anal about the car because the paint needs some TLC. It's just been scuffed and has minor little scratches here and there, especially around all the door handles. I've been planning on figuring out what to do with that and then some asshole keyed a big 'ol scratch right down the side of the car in the mall parking lot. Never had that happen to a car of mine before so that sucks big time not knowing who's ass needs kicking. I figured the keyed scratch is down to at least the primer, maybe all the way down to the metal. What the best course of action to get the paint back to decent?

Thanks

|

1/9/2018 10:40 AM

I'm guessing that our resident auto body guy is out of town or something.

|

1/9/2018 11:11 AM

OP, I feel your pain. I used to own a beautiful red Acura Integra and somebody keyed me too. I was in a place where nobody could have possibly known who I was, so the perp did it out of pure spite and hatred. I hope karma kicked him in the nuts, and I wish the same on your guy.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/9/2018 11:23 AM

borg wrote:

I'm guessing that our resident auto body guy is out of town or something.

Or the OP could go to a auto body shop.

|

1/9/2018 11:41 AM

If it takes going to a body shop then fine, just trying to see what other people have encountered/experienced with a similar problem.

I was hoping there was a compound for the smaller scratches but I've never really messed around with that stuff.

|

1/9/2018 11:48 AM

Not trying to get it back to factory shine on the paint. If there was some kind of blending method to make it look decent or along those lines. I'm not sure if it exists though.

|

1/9/2018 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 12:59 PM

borg wrote:

I'm guessing that our resident auto body guy is out of town or something.

mxb2 wrote:

Or the OP could go to a auto body shop.

Dont sweat mxb2, he's too challenged to think up a non doosh response...


Plenty of compounds out there to minimize all the superficial scratches like old swirl marks and light scratching. Start with a lighter abrasive, if that doesn't do it, go heavier(more abrasive) then work back out with lighter compounds and finally a polish or polish and wax combo. The shitbag key mark, wont ever come fully out. Many times its easier to find a professional car detailer than going to a body shop or trying yourseld, but the big key mark will never fully go away without repainting those panels.

Just be careful with the heavy compounds if you DIY, pretty easy to make things worse if you get over zealous with the heavier grit products. 3M makes everything you need, also a company called Ardex makes good stuff. GL

|

1/9/2018 1:52 PM

borg wrote:

I'm guessing that our resident auto body guy is out of town or something.

mxb2 wrote:

Or the OP could go to a auto body shop.

Squitlege wrote:

Dont sweat mxb2, he's too challenged to think up a non doosh response...


Plenty of compounds out there to minimize all the superficial scratches like old swirl marks and light scratching. Start with a lighter abrasive, if that doesn't do it, go heavier(more abrasive) then work back out with lighter compounds and finally a polish or polish and wax combo. The shitbag key mark, wont ever come fully out. Many times its easier to find a professional car detailer than going to a body shop or trying yourseld, but the big key mark will never fully go away without repainting those panels.

Just be careful with the heavy compounds if you DIY, pretty easy to make things worse if you get over zealous with the heavier grit products. 3M makes everything you need, also a company called Ardex makes good stuff. GL

Yea,just wait around on the internet for answers. Makes sense instead of going or calling a auto body shop. Grow up.tough guy.

|

1/9/2018 1:54 PM

Clay block it
Wet sand it
Buff it

|

1/9/2018 1:59 PM

I've been watching my sister's partner completely destroy perfectly good paintwork by trying to "fix" a few scratches with cutting compound and sand paper.unsure It's a black mica paint. The scratches were tiny and a little touchup would have worked fine, but no, just big swirl marks and dulled paint all over now. Nightmare.

Polishing has done sweet FA to fix those areas, so I'm expecting the clear to start shatting itself.

Sorry OP, I had to share my horror.

|

1/9/2018 2:06 PM

borg wrote:

I'm guessing that our resident auto body guy is out of town or something.

mxb2 wrote:

Or the OP could go to a auto body shop.

Squitlege wrote:

Dont sweat mxb2, he's too challenged to think up a non doosh response...


Plenty of compounds out there to minimize all the superficial scratches like old swirl marks and light scratching. Start with a lighter abrasive, if that doesn't do it, go heavier(more abrasive) then work back out with lighter compounds and finally a polish or polish and wax combo. The shitbag key mark, wont ever come fully out. Many times its easier to find a professional car detailer than going to a body shop or trying yourseld, but the big key mark will never fully go away without repainting those panels.

Just be careful with the heavy compounds if you DIY, pretty easy to make things worse if you get over zealous with the heavier grit products. 3M makes everything you need, also a company called Ardex makes good stuff. GL

Right on, thanks for the direction to head in. Is it best to get a buffing wheel, or can you do this stuff by hand?

|

1/9/2018 2:17 PM

EZZA 95B wrote:

I've been watching my sister's partner completely destroy perfectly good paintwork by trying to "fix" a few scratches with cutting compound and sand paper.unsure It's a black mica paint. The scratches were tiny and a little touchup would have worked fine, but no, just big swirl marks and dulled paint all over now. Nightmare.

Polishing has done sweet FA to fix those areas, so I'm expecting the clear to start shatting itself.

Sorry OP, I had to share my horror.

I actually did that with one of my first cars way back in the day. Thought I'd wax it, so followed the instructions... Came out with slight swirl marks that looked like shit in direct sun. It was a black car too which made it worse. I haven't tried much with paint jobs since. I was hoping there was some kind of magic compound you'd see on an infomercial where you rub it in and presto.

|

1/9/2018 2:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 2:49 PM

Yeah It's crazy, he used the same polishing pad throughout the entire process and didn't even clean the dust off the car beforehand... He's one of those people that cannot be told, as he knows better than even the most seasoned professional. It's both hilarious and horrific, like seeing a clown get hit by a bus.

Don't get me started on the almost non existent dents on the bonnet, which now resembles an ocean swell.laughing
shocked pinch

|

1/9/2018 3:46 PM

^^ Haha this is my pops to a tee.. I just have to sit back and laugh when he starts "fixing" shit anymore laughing

|