Question for Strat players

borg
6/5/2018 7:50pm
I'm building a hybrid Strat. Mostly because I like the Strat sounds. It will be a carve top with a tiltback neck blah blah blah. Anyway my question is about controls. The standard Strat has 1 volume and 2 tones along with the 5 way switch. I don't see why there needs to be 2 tone controls. I'm thinking 1 volume 1 tone and of course the switch.
Just looking for input.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
6/6/2018 2:41pm
No need for 2 tone pots unless you require a wider range of adjustment. (Want a deep, muddy neck position sound and a much brighter bridge tone, for instance.) The tone controls can be wired post-switch so they only affect one of the positions. This way you can get a "jump" in tone instead of needing to switch pickups and then roll the tone knob too.

I I had to guess, I'd say original-spec Fenders may have needed this because of the single coil in the bridge position; the tone gets pretty skinny back there.
blusmbl
6/10/2018 12:07pm
If you never run with the neck/mid or mid/bridge pickup together selected with the 5 way switch the individual tone controls aren't that useful, and you can certainly get by with 1 volume and 1 tone knob.

Like Falcon is saying, the single coil in the bridge position is a bit thin and shrill so it's nice to be able to blend that with a rolled-off mid pickup as well.

Post a reply to: Question for Strat players

The Latest