Question about Moving, What would you do?

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
Edited Date/Time 10/16/2020 2:31pm
Where would you go ?

My Wife and I want to move from Minnesota to a warmer climate we are tired of the Minnesota winters its something we have talked about for years and I recently closed my business and our lease is up on our apartment so I have nothing stopping me from leaving.

Anyone reading this know of any cool jobs hiring?

thought of?

|
JWACK
10/10/2020 10:53am
Out of those choices I would go to South Carolina.

Sell all your stuff and buy new or used when you get where your going. Making multiple cross country trips isn’t cost effective.
Make it one trip!

Another option is to start applying for jobs now. Then go wherever you get a good job.
And of course happy wife happy life. If she doesn’t like Texas don’t go to Texas.

Good luck on your journey.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
10/10/2020 12:05pm
You've posed this question in multiple threads, so I'm not sure what you are reaching for.

Do NOT move here and try and get a job in the moto industry that will support your family. That is an absolute pipe dream. Maybe 20 percent of those guys make enough to live in an apt comfortably, and maybe 10% make enough to own a home here, let alone support a family like yours in a nice place.

You said you are in vehicle sales and good at what you do, I'd stick to that and choose a place where you can find a good job and where that money can be stretched further. California is not that place either.

Texas, or somewhere in the south is your best bet for having a decent quality of life.
nytsmaC
10/10/2020 12:25pm
Personally, I like the Hill Country between San Antonio and Austin.

The Shop

mxb2
10/10/2020 12:38pm
avidchimp wrote:
You've posed this question in multiple threads, so I'm not sure what you are reaching for. Do NOT move here and try and get a job...
You've posed this question in multiple threads, so I'm not sure what you are reaching for.

Do NOT move here and try and get a job in the moto industry that will support your family. That is an absolute pipe dream. Maybe 20 percent of those guys make enough to live in an apt comfortably, and maybe 10% make enough to own a home here, let alone support a family like yours in a nice place.

You said you are in vehicle sales and good at what you do, I'd stick to that and choose a place where you can find a good job and where that money can be stretched further. California is not that place either.

Texas, or somewhere in the south is your best bet for having a decent quality of life.
Bingo, and i wdnt move unless i already had a job lined up.
JeremyK
10/10/2020 12:45pm
My parents sold there house here in WNY to buy a place in florida to get away from the winters ,less then 3 years later and they both hate it down there ,too hot and nothing to do is their reason. I love winter .
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/10/2020 3:07pm
JWACK wrote:
Out of those choices I would go to South Carolina. Sell all your stuff and buy new or used when you get where your going. Making...
Out of those choices I would go to South Carolina.

Sell all your stuff and buy new or used when you get where your going. Making multiple cross country trips isn’t cost effective.
Make it one trip!

Another option is to start applying for jobs now. Then go wherever you get a good job.
And of course happy wife happy life. If she doesn’t like Texas don’t go to Texas.

Good luck on your journey.
Thanks I am looking for jobs already, Its not that she don't like Texas just not the part where her Mom lives its way down by the Mexico border a little town that when your there kind of feels like you are in Mexico (her mom is also 100% Hispanic) and I agree that multiple cross country trips isn't cost effective but I cant see any way around it.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/10/2020 3:19pm
avidchimp wrote:
You've posed this question in multiple threads, so I'm not sure what you are reaching for. Do NOT move here and try and get a job...

Thanks for the input I basically have that here in Minnesota, an affordable place where money can be stretched farther. but I hate the frozen months and I have a wife that's begging to go somewhere else. I have sold cars for many years but to be honest I would rather try something else. I'm glad to have the experience though because its pretty easy to find a job in that industry. I don't know if I would say good at it I'm far from rich and usually just getting by So hoping I can at least find a way to get by somewhere warmer.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/10/2020 3:21pm
Chance1216 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/10/453685/s1200_3E527907_501D_4F26_8F2F_0834B7A2FFB3.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/10/453686/s1200_E8D7634F_CB93_4671_86A9_901C50031201.jpg[/img]

How's the winters there? I'm not afraid to get dirty, I have never done any type of construction though.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/10/2020 3:29pm
I also asked this Question here because I know a lot of guys on Vital are from California, I have always wondered How there are Tens of thousands of Houses in Southern Ca worth A million plus dollars I don't know the Exact number but Its A LOT of them worth a million or more. So Anyway I have always wondered how that many people afford those houses? I honestly don't get it. It doesn't seem like there are enough High paying jobs to make sense of it How do all of these people pay these huge mortgages?
Chance1216
10/10/2020 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2020 3:56pm
In plumbing, every new guy starts on a shovel and jackhammer. Winters are usually rainy. Snows, every couple years. It takes zero experience to start digging ditches or holes under foundations and exposing existing pipe. Not being afraid of the dirt is one thing. Its another being physically able to dig. Ever dig a hole six feet deep, five feet long and wide? Some months that's all I've done fixing a trunk line after an excavator took out our risers and snapped the pipe off at fitting buried underground. Its really fun when it's raining, the dirt turns to mud and, the hole is filling up with water.
Chasing a dream job most times is just that. I don't think keeping your family in a RV is a good decision. Having a daughter doing school while everyone else is going nuts with cabin fever. Not to mention finding a place to park it besides a WalMart parking lot. Nobody ever says they want to be a ditch digger and eventually a plumber. For the record I don't do service work. I do new installs, medical gas and cryogenics at hospitals and vet clinics. Boiler and mechanical rooms. Its not a dream job. Its a tough trade that's very demanding. Physically and mentally. But, it pays the bills and then some.
When work dried up in Oregon, I took a job on Mt Rainier in Washington. Froze my ass off in winter remodeling a lodge in Paradise. My family stayed in Oregon until I found a house. I found a place to park a fifth wheel. I left it there for the duration and went home on weekends.
I did that for eight months.
Chance1216
10/10/2020 3:53pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I also asked this Question here because I know a lot of guys on Vital are from California, I have always wondered How there are Tens...
I also asked this Question here because I know a lot of guys on Vital are from California, I have always wondered How there are Tens of thousands of Houses in Southern Ca worth A million plus dollars I don't know the Exact number but Its A LOT of them worth a million or more. So Anyway I have always wondered how that many people afford those houses? I honestly don't get it. It doesn't seem like there are enough High paying jobs to make sense of it How do all of these people pay these huge mortgages?
Many people were in those houses before prices rose to the astronomical numbers they're at now. My aunt got a house 16 years ago for 350 K. Nothing special. Its now worth 560K.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/10/2020 4:10pm
Chance1216 wrote:
In plumbing, every new guy starts on a shovel and jackhammer. Winters are usually rainy. Snows, every couple years. It takes zero experience to start digging...
In plumbing, every new guy starts on a shovel and jackhammer. Winters are usually rainy. Snows, every couple years. It takes zero experience to start digging ditches or holes under foundations and exposing existing pipe. Not being afraid of the dirt is one thing. Its another being physically able to dig. Ever dig a hole six feet deep, five feet long and wide? Some months that's all I've done fixing a trunk line after an excavator took out our risers and snapped the pipe off at fitting buried underground. Its really fun when it's raining, the dirt turns to mud and, the hole is filling up with water.
Chasing a dream job most times is just that. I don't think keeping your family in a RV is a good decision. Having a daughter doing school while everyone else is going nuts with cabin fever. Not to mention finding a place to park it besides a WalMart parking lot. Nobody ever says they want to be a ditch digger and eventually a plumber. For the record I don't do service work. I do new installs, medical gas and cryogenics at hospitals and vet clinics. Boiler and mechanical rooms. Its not a dream job. Its a tough trade that's very demanding. Physically and mentally. But, it pays the bills and then some.
When work dried up in Oregon, I took a job on Mt Rainier in Washington. Froze my ass off in winter remodeling a lodge in Paradise. My family stayed in Oregon until I found a house. I found a place to park a fifth wheel. I left it there for the duration and went home on weekends.
I did that for eight months.
When I say an Rv I definitely don't mean to live in permanently, It crossed my mind to do that for a month or two to decide where we want to be for a longer duration.
I know trade jobs pay well I just never learned any personally.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
10/10/2020 6:06pm
Well I sure as hell wouldn't be asking or putting much stake in what Vitard's say that's for sure. I tend to make big decisions in my life by doing research and staying away from opinions of morans Cool
10/10/2020 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2020 6:37pm
Make sure you have a job lined up before any move unless you have banked a lot of money. If you are looking at a trade job, but have not done any, you'll be bottom of totem pole with much lower pay. Labor work is not easy, that's why greens do it. The guys who work hard, don't complain, and show motivation will move up. Maybe stay where you are at for a bit, research some trades, get some experience and then move.
Chance1216
10/10/2020 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2020 6:51pm
Make sure you have a job lined up before any move unless you have banked a lot of money. If you are looking at a trade...
Make sure you have a job lined up before any move unless you have banked a lot of money. If you are looking at a trade job, but have not done any, you'll be bottom of totem pole with much lower pay. Labor work is not easy, that's why greens do it. The guys who work hard, don't complain, and show motivation will move up. Maybe stay where you are at for a bit, research some trades, get some experience and then move.
Hey, I'm a 43 year old foreman . I still dig LOL😉.
But, working right alongside your crew earns their respect and keeps morale up for everybody. If your crew respects you, they'll actually work harder when needed. In regards to pay, wages move up every six months of your five year apprenticeship.
rider892
10/10/2020 7:41pm
With you having a family throw the whole idea of working in the motocross/Supercross industry out the window , 90 percent of the jobs you will not be able to support your family on. It’s a harsh reality but most guys don’t make that much, that’s why you see younger guys doing it and the few older guys that are doing it have been around for many many years and earn a very good living now...
10/10/2020 8:37pm
Motorhome. Rent a space at various RV resorts with full Hookups. Once you find a job, start looking for a house and sell the motorhome or keep it and race all over Florida.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/10/2020 8:42pm
Motorhome. Rent a space at various RV resorts with full Hookups. Once you find a job, start looking for a house and sell the motorhome or...
Motorhome. Rent a space at various RV resorts with full Hookups. Once you find a job, start looking for a house and sell the motorhome or keep it and race all over Florida.
This route has definitely crossed my mind, and I thought it would be a good way to try different parts of s state or even different states all together.
TXDirt
10/10/2020 8:56pm
You have been kicking around this idea in the forums for year or more.

Never do you ask where is the best place to raise a family. What areas have great schools. What area would be great for my families future. Where can I stretch my dollar.

When bro’ing down in the moto community in Southern California is high on your list I just have to wonder if you have your priorities straight.

It’s understandable you want to move to a warmer place. There are many great places to live, work, raise a family, affordability, etc.

When you can set aside what you want to do and instead focus on what’s best for your family, then and only then will you arrive at your correct answer.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/10/2020 9:32pm
TXDirt wrote:
You have been kicking around this idea in the forums for year or more. Never do you ask where is the best place to raise a...
You have been kicking around this idea in the forums for year or more.

Never do you ask where is the best place to raise a family. What areas have great schools. What area would be great for my families future. Where can I stretch my dollar.

When bro’ing down in the moto community in Southern California is high on your list I just have to wonder if you have your priorities straight.

It’s understandable you want to move to a warmer place. There are many great places to live, work, raise a family, affordability, etc.

When you can set aside what you want to do and instead focus on what’s best for your family, then and only then will you arrive at your correct answer.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
I put a little more emphasis on the moto parts because vital is a motocross message board. And I would love to work in the industry. As far as family I have a 6 Yr old and twin 3 yr old's so only 1 of them is school age and I really didn't think about 1st grade being better or worse to be honest. but of course I want to be in a safe place. as far as wants vs what's better and this point my wife wants to leave so bad that I best figure it out or she is probably going to leave without me
For as Crazy as it sounds though I really don't have much going on here in Minnesota the only thing I'm really leaving behind is an apartment that I rent. It is nice though and probably not replaceable for the price we pay which is $800 a month for a 1000 square foot 2 bedroom apartment. but we can always come back here to Minnesota if we chose to also .
Chance1216
10/10/2020 10:41pm
Tarz, I gotta ask. Are you the same guy that road tripped to California looking for work and came back with a helmet?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/10/2020 11:42pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Tarz, I gotta ask. Are you the same guy that road tripped to California looking for work and came back with a helmet?
Same guy.
10/11/2020 7:19am
Jeez quit crushing the guys dreams. This is America. Get a motorhome and head to Florida!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/11/2020 7:25am
lostboy819 wrote:
Well I sure as hell wouldn't be asking or putting much stake in what Vitard's say that's for sure. I tend to make big decisions in...
Well I sure as hell wouldn't be asking or putting much stake in what Vitard's say that's for sure. I tend to make big decisions in my life by doing research and staying away from opinions of morans Cool
To be honest, there's quite a few successful people that post here.

I know it's Vital, but not everyone is a moran.
mxb2
10/11/2020 8:09am
Chance1216 wrote:
Lol. Success.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/11/2020 8:12am
Line up a job selling cars in one of the states you are considering, then make the move. Also, California sucks and I'm leaving when I retire.

Post a reply to: Question about Moving, What would you do?

The Latest