Private Health Insurance Advice/Experience

bsm121
Fellow Vital Members,

I searched the forum and didn't really find anything current. I'm considering a career move that would require me to source my own health insurance for me and my family. Searching reviews on-line is pointless as it seems that everyone hates their carrier and the system in general.

Does anyone in here have experience with this? Any help/advise is appreciated.
|
bsm121
1/2/2020 1:32pm
I've got an idea of the pricing, just wondering what the best route is.

I've heard that ins options that aren't Obamacare compliant are much cheaper and there is no longer a penalty. Is that accurate?

Moto Norcal
1/2/2020 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2020 1:35pm
If you ride or race motorcycles, get a policy without a hazardous activities rider. Try an insurance agent and ask him that question.
Once when I worked in a dealership, the insurance guy came in and asked me if I participate in any organized motorcycle competition. I said I did- and he looked like I had just thrown cold water in his face. Later he called me up and said I was disqualified.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
1/2/2020 4:28pm
Assuming when you say family, you have a wife. Can’t she just work somewhere with insurance?

Unfortunately might be the best scenario for the time being..
APLMAN99
1/2/2020 4:32pm
If you ride or race motorcycles, get a policy without a hazardous activities rider. Try an insurance agent and ask him that question. Once when I...
If you ride or race motorcycles, get a policy without a hazardous activities rider. Try an insurance agent and ask him that question.
Once when I worked in a dealership, the insurance guy came in and asked me if I participate in any organized motorcycle competition. I said I did- and he looked like I had just thrown cold water in his face. Later he called me up and said I was disqualified.
That's bizarre. I've never had that question on a group policy, ever.

The Shop

Mucktub
1/2/2020 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2020 10:33pm
Not entirely related but close enough, I'm type 1 diabetic and while on vacation to New Hampshire with a day and a half to go I ran out of insulin, I went to a pharmacy in town and was told that they could only supply the insulin I use with a prescription, so I would have to get that from a Dr.

I went to a medical drop in centre and the very nice woman on the front desk was horrified by my predicament because she said that I could potentially end up paying $1000 + to get what I needed. From what I've heard about the healthcare system in the US I wasn't really surprised. I had a similar thing happen at the MXoN in Italy a few years ago, I went to a pharmacy there and bought a pack of 5 insulin pens over the counter for €60, no prescription, checks or anything. The woman who helped me out, who happened to be from France originally, disappeared for a few minutes came back with another woman who gave me a single boxed insulin pen which said surgery sample on the packaging, they wanted nothing for it and were just happy to help out, they both agreed that while the health service in the UK has its critics at least its not run by corporate business to make vast profits at the expense of the patient. I was very lucky to have dealt with good natured people.

I love the US but I don't think I could afford to live there with my condition.
APLMAN99
1/2/2020 11:11pm
Mucktub wrote:
Not entirely related but close enough, I'm type 1 diabetic and while on vacation to New Hampshire with a day and a half to go I...
Not entirely related but close enough, I'm type 1 diabetic and while on vacation to New Hampshire with a day and a half to go I ran out of insulin, I went to a pharmacy in town and was told that they could only supply the insulin I use with a prescription, so I would have to get that from a Dr.

I went to a medical drop in centre and the very nice woman on the front desk was horrified by my predicament because she said that I could potentially end up paying $1000 + to get what I needed. From what I've heard about the healthcare system in the US I wasn't really surprised. I had a similar thing happen at the MXoN in Italy a few years ago, I went to a pharmacy there and bought a pack of 5 insulin pens over the counter for €60, no prescription, checks or anything. The woman who helped me out, who happened to be from France originally, disappeared for a few minutes came back with another woman who gave me a single boxed insulin pen which said surgery sample on the packaging, they wanted nothing for it and were just happy to help out, they both agreed that while the health service in the UK has its critics at least its not run by corporate business to make vast profits at the expense of the patient. I was very lucky to have dealt with good natured people.

I love the US but I don't think I could afford to live there with my condition.
My wife and my oldest daughter are both Type 1. The "before insurance" costs for the supplies rivaled an average monthly salary.....
bradnelson
1/3/2020 6:48am
bsm121 wrote:
Fellow Vital Members, I searched the forum and didn't really find anything current. I'm considering a career move that would require me to source my own...
Fellow Vital Members,

I searched the forum and didn't really find anything current. I'm considering a career move that would require me to source my own health insurance for me and my family. Searching reviews on-line is pointless as it seems that everyone hates their carrier and the system in general.

mikec265
1/3/2020 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 7:17pm
bsm121 wrote:
Fellow Vital Members, I searched the forum and didn't really find anything current. I'm considering a career move that would require me to source my own...
Fellow Vital Members,

bradnelson wrote:
The best thing we can do for health insurance is to vote the Democrats out and re-elect the current President. They need to change it back and do something about price gouging hospital fees to make it affordable for the middle class small business owners who bust their asses.
1/4/2020 2:45pm
In the United States you can purchase regular insulin over the counter at Walmart for around $25 a vial....
MX915
1/4/2020 5:33pm
In the United States you can purchase regular insulin over the counter at Walmart for around $25 a vial....
Maybe. But thats probably because of low demand. The humalog that goes in my pump (pumps can use humalog or novolog only) is retail 3,000 for a 90 day supply. I think most type 1s nowadays are using some form of novolog, lantus, etc. Last time I used or knew of anyone prescribing NPH and regular was over 20 years ago.

But yeah, without health insurance id be fucked.
APLMAN99
1/4/2020 11:12pm
The OTC insulin is significantly different from what your doctor would normally prescribe you. It takes longer to get to a therapeutic level, and it has inherent spikes that lead to a greater chance of a hypoglycemic episode. The average A1c is significantly worse using human insulin instead of newer analog insulin. There are big cost differences, but the benefits are not the same so much of that reduced cost is paying for a lower quality of life overall.

The other thing is that insulin is only half of the equation. The supplies are the hidden profit center, and that’s mainly the glucose test strips. If you’re testing how you should be (4-8 times a day) then you are using between 120-240 test strips a day. You can use the cheapest meter/strip combo, or you can try to use the most accurate. Our experience over the last 20+ years is that those are mutually exclusive.

For consistently accurate readings, plan on about $350 a month for test strips, lancets, etc. The meters you can usually get for free because the strips are proprietary. The real profit is in the glucose test strips.

So let’s just say that you buy 6 vials of the OTC insulin at Walmart for $150
You get your test strips, lancets and other supplies like alcohol swabs for about $350.

$500 a month doesn’t sound terrible, right? Except you’ve forgotten one very important insulin, lantus. Lantus is the long acting, once a day “base” insulin that provides you with your basic buffer. You probably use 3 vials a month at about $350/vial for a total of $1050.

Syringes run around $50/month, give or take.

So even using the “old tech” insulin that makes blood glucose levels much harder to manage and maintain, it would still cost roughly $1600 a month for a Type 1 to (try to) manage their condition at a level less than optimal because of the older, not as useful alternative insulin.

Post a reply to: Private Health Insurance Advice/Experience

The Latest