Preparing to sell Parents home from afar......

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2021 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2021 8:23 AM

Gonna steal a recent line from plowboy as it's Gold! laughing
"As I write this, I have to question my sanity. I'm gonna open up to this board that I know is full of folks that run the gamut from psycho to saint. Fuck it...here goes."

Lost both my Parents in the last 18 mo and Dad passed away and kept his dream of "dying in his Castle".....
He did not want to end up in a home like poor Mom who suffered badly with Dementia for 7 yrs.

I was fortunate enough to find three different great people (one a former co-worker) over 8 years to care for him and the home. Currently a woman and her son are still living here. We were going to start the process the first week of October but there is too much to do in a short time and trying to sell a home in the Holiday season might not be a good idea so we have been letting them stay rent free until we put the house up for sale in Spring.

I am meeting with an ol Family friend who is a Realtor tomorrow and we will be going over stuff that needs to be fixed/cleaned up/painted etc which is a LOT!

When I was here in June discovered the upstairs master shower had a leak over the years and went into the poolroom/den downstairs ceiling. Fortunately I was there at the time and spent hours on the phone for weeks dealing with Insurance/Contractors etc.
PITA when you are not there to make sure the repairs are good and one wall still shows there was a cutout repair.

I am the youngest and my Sister is the trustee with her Husband and they are both good people. The oldest of the three is my brother who disowned the Family close to 40 yrs ago and basically has done NOTHING in terms of helping my Parents over that time.
Sis and I agree (much to my dismay) that he will not help much at all with the home even though he is 90 min away and my sister and I live 7-8hrs away!!!
But his hand will be out when that time comes. dizzy

He is a Lawyer and has issues (too long to put here) and if it was up to me he deserves NOTHING after what he put my poor Mom through and screamed and yelled in my Dads face as he layed in bed one yr when I visited before I got there. angry There is nothing that can be done as the Trust cannot be changed and Sis would not do it anyway as those were set by my Parents.

Living far away with limited time off does not allow me to be here and fix things up nor am I capable as I am not "Mr Handyman" and don't have the tools or capability as I'm old at 63....

The home is beautiful and sits on a hill but is close to 60 yrs old and needs paint, and a lot of TLC.

Questions:
Should we just try to sell as is or hire someone to fix it up? I don't think it would pass a Home Inspection.

Do you think waiting till spring might be risky with a possible housing bubble crash as we are already seeing signs of it slowing down slightly.

Another concern is if something else goes wrong in the house before spring.

Thanks for reading....

|

9/6/2021 12:26 PM

The Realtor is going to give far better advice than most of us could, since it all depends on the local market conditions.

I assume there aren't any grandchildren interested in moving there? My and my wife's families are currently housing 2 nephews and a niece, to keep houses occupied. Farm houses are worth just about that.

|

9/6/2021 1:33 PM

As a home inspector, I would recommend having a pre-sale inspection. Because of the age of the house, you are going to have quite a few deficiencies. The inspection is not pass or fail, it's information on building standards, safety, inoperative or damaged systems and structural components.

The information that you receive from the inspector is a starting point and your realtor should be wise enough to guide you through the must do things that will help the house sell at or above asking price. There are always the obvious cosmetic things like paint and outdated cabinets etc.

Get a wood destroying insect inspection also. Hidden damage from termites etc can be a deal killer.

It's tough losing parents...then dealing with what is leftover from their life. Condolences to you and your siblings.

|

9/6/2021 1:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2021 1:40 PM

Oh boy...things are about to get ugly for you I'm afraid. Your brother is executor...which means he's calling the shots. If your dad had no will directing his wishes...then state probate kicks in. Sadly, as far as I know...everything will go to him as the oldest son. The best you can hope for is to try and reason with him for even shares between the siblings. You said he was a lawyer so I wouldn't bet on a compassionate outcome. I hope I'm wrong. With today's housing market...almost anything is bringing stupid money. You hang in there buddy.
Edit:. I should have added my condolences...they were infered but not stated. I've lost some family to alsheiemers and it is fucking horrible.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/6/2021 4:52 PM

Given the distance and mega hassles - selling as is might be the way to go. Contracting out repairs might cost you more than you'd lose on an as-is. And that's assuming you can find good reliable honest contractors. Also hard to do from that far away. Around here, almost everything is sellng. Fast. Still.

|

HAF

9/6/2021 5:25 PM

plowboy wrote:

Oh boy...things are about to get ugly for you I'm afraid. Your brother is executor...which means he's calling the shots. If ...more

Think G-Man said his Sis and her husband were Trustees and they were good people? So presume this means they are the Executors and not the dodgy brother. Well thats my comprehension of reading G-Man's post...

I sadly suffered what you have thought, my Dodgy Sister in charge of Fathers Inheritance- £90,000 'went missing'. Absolute nightmare.... 16 years later stuff still not resolved. Very sketchy and made me ill.

Anyway- hopefully the Trustees in G-Man's case are all trustworthy and dodgy people do not mess stuff up. As Plowboy says, it can be a nightmare as I well know.

Best of luck with it all G-Man and also Plowboy, read your thread, its hard when our relatives pass and all that goes with it, the emotions and how we deal with it, as well as other relatives kicking stuff up, when its already hard enough to deal with anyway.

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

9/6/2021 5:56 PM

plowboy wrote:

Oh boy...things are about to get ugly for you I'm afraid. Your brother is executor...which means he's calling the shots. If ...more

a22 wrote:

Think G-Man said his Sis and her husband were Trustees and they were good people? So presume this means they are the Executors ...more

I misread the post if sis in charge they should be ok.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/6/2021 6:10 PM

plowboy wrote:

I misread the post if sis in charge they should be ok.

Yea hopefully so- as you say though, if someone Dodgy is the Executor its a damn nightmare.

Best of luck to you both- kind of made me sad reading your thread and really wish you well with stuff, as well as G-man.
Best wishes in these hard times.

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

9/6/2021 6:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2021 7:05 PM

a22 wrote:

Think G-Man said his Sis and her husband were Trustees and they were good people? So presume this means they are the Executors ...more

Yes that is correct my Sis (her husband, nice guy we get along great) he will probably be in charge.

They paid about 7 - 8 years worth of my Mom being in a Dementia home in Pasadena So they will be reimbursed with a 10% interest rate before anything is divided up.

Really going to miss coming here three times a year to see my folks.

Hazy day in SoCal....
Photo
Photo

Maggie going to miss it too...
Photo

Thanks for advice and kind words guys. 👍

|

9/6/2021 7:55 PM

Sell it asap.

Market is hot, everyone is looking to purchase a "fixer upper" so price it fair and you will have a bidding war- probably all cash buyers no contingencies. Many have automatic escalator clauses in their offers. Don't get greedy in the initial pricing, let the hot market get multiple offers to make you more in the end.

You don't want to deal with contractors for a remodel, especially from another state. Everyone is so busy they will jack you around, charge you more than quoted (especially with the commodity and labor shortages), take longer than they said, and by the time you are done who knows where or what the market will look like in 6-12 months.

Sorry for your loss, I know you have been through a lot the past year.

|

9/7/2021 2:47 AM

Sorry for your loss G-man.

|

9/7/2021 5:55 AM

Any other pics of the house? Some of us on the east coast have dreams of someday going west.

|

9/7/2021 6:57 AM

You should have no problem selling it. Our son is trying to buy his first house. Everything that resembles a “Fixer Upper” is snatched up by house flippers who pay cash, over asking, with no inspections. Then they fix them up (as cheap as possible with the crappiest cheapest parts and pieces they can find) then put it back on the market out of young couples price range. I won’t work for flippers anymore. “Sorry dude no, i’m not going to put in an undersized pump and filter and heater and make the pool a total pain in the ass to take care of and totally fuck the new owner so you can save $1,500’”. I’m so done with those assholes. I don’t “hate” much but I fucking HATE house flippers. They fuck over young couples trying to buy their first house, they fuck over the people that buy them by putting in absolute shit, and they’re always slow payers that wanna grind you down to the last dollar. That’s another topic but FUCK those clowns.
What city is it in G-man ?

|

9/7/2021 7:42 AM

I agree with the others on selling it now as she sits. The market is overheated across the country. People are paying way too much for homes right now. And a long distance remodel will be a pain in the ass and will drag on.

Much respect to you and your sister and her husband for getting your Dad help and letting him live out his last days in his home.

|

9/7/2021 9:29 AM

Thanks Sumdood.
Home is in Eagle Rock on G hill between Pasadena and Glendale.

My last Thanksgiving with Pop, he said over and over "This is the Best Thanksgiving ever.." smile Photo

|

9/7/2021 11:09 AM

Sell it as is !!! Don't waste time or money trying to fix it up because the return on the time and money spent may be a wash at best. Like others said sell it as a fixer upper and people can bid on the house and make their offer based on the inspection, Lots of buyers can repair it for less than the deduction estimates for repairs so its a win win. You live too far away to deal with a giant headache so sell it like it sits.

|

Ed Johnson

9/7/2021 11:13 AM

G-man, Has anyone gotten input from the estate attorney, or whoever wrote up the trust. You might want to get a real-estate broker reference from them. The main goal is not to have anything come back to you or the estate after closing. This is especially true with "As Is" sells. Although you have knowledge of the one leak, what more is there? Being you don't reside there, you wouldn't, and that's how the house needs to sell. That's one of the reasons why the broker needs to have experience with this kind of sale.

|

[Moto Creed-O: Take the High-Road.....Kick His Ass and Fuck His Chick

9/7/2021 12:19 PM

G-man wrote:

Thanks Sumdood.
Home is in Eagle Rock on G hill between Pasadena and Glendale.

My last Thanksgiving with Pop, he said over ...more

That’s awesome you have that memory and he didn’t suffer through a long tailspin like your Mom. My Mom died on Father’s Day this year, she had dementia and was 97, but luckily she was sharp until the last 6-8 months or so. 7 years is long sentence to suffer with that horrible disease, sorry your Mom (and the rest of your family) had to go through that. My Dad passed 18 years ago now and was living in Colorado so we never got a lot of quality time together. Especially towards the end. I hope the home sale goes smooth fast, easy and the dispersement process is as drama free as possible. You’re due for some good times. Good luck ! 👍

|

9/7/2021 12:33 PM

I would sell now while the market is strong. I have been looking at homes in Camarillo Ca and it is for sure a sellers market. Lots of the homes we have looked at are just put on the market as is and still sell.
We bid on one house that was nice but needed some things fixed. We bid $20k above asking and lost out to a cash bid that was $70k above asking and no contingencies.
No home inspection or termite reports. Crazy times.

|

9/7/2021 1:45 PM

whyZ wrote:

G-man, Has anyone gotten input from the estate attorney, or whoever wrote up the trust. You might want to get a real-estate ...more

Bob
I wasn't involved with any of the Trust deal and I'm pretty sure they were just used to put the home ( trust) in Sister's and bro-in-law
name to prevent the home going into probate. Not sure those lawyers would be of any help. It's too bad my brother is the way he is or he could have done it.

We just hope he doesn't cause issues when it happens but seeing how he never has helped my parents in 40 years I hope he can look himself in the mirror and not be greedy.

Another problem is trying to get rid of all the furniture etc and a lot of junk that will be need to thrown in the dumpster.

Should be doing it now but I have no help and my siblings need to be here.

|

9/7/2021 2:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2021 2:03 PM

Thanks man so many good memories here.
Before the 2 Glendale fwy went thru the mountain we had awesome trails, tracks and forts to grow up with.

After that I was left with this small area that I made into a track. I could throw a rock to that corner from my home.

75 RM125 I'm 17

Photo

If you miss this bottom corner you would end up on the Fwy! w00t
Factory Suzy overalls Photoand tennis shoes, gives me chills just looking at it. laughing

|

9/7/2021 2:11 PM

motoman617 wrote:

I would sell now while the market is strong. I have been looking at homes in Camarillo Ca and it is for sure a sellers market. ...more

Thanks for the info motoman damn you guys got me thinking we should have gone ahead with the October prep to get ready to sell soon.

Just so much stuff piled on and my Sister was worried about losing her cabin in Tahoe due to fires just days ago.

Also Lupitas Sister died yesterday from cancer and I had told her recently she could stay till Spring. Probably jumped the gun on that, just feel bad as she was there for my Dad till the end.
Her 18 yr old son while very nice is spoiled.

|

9/7/2021 2:29 PM

If you can list it don’t worry about it being close to the holidays. In this market it won’t matter. I inherited my Uncles house in Ventura. Had a open house on Thanksgiving weekend and accepted one of the offers the next day. Escrow closed on Dec 27.

I was told by my realtor a lot of people look over the holidays because they have family in town to help with the decision.

Either way you go best of luck to you.

|

9/8/2021 1:43 PM

Ok guys met with the Family Realtor friend and told him about Plan B--to sell ASAP.
If it doesn't sell at that price till the end of the year then will stick with plan A and sell in March.

Currently trying to get some outside painting quotes before I leave.

The next hurdle will be to try to get rid of the furniture.
I don't think Goodwill is accepting right now.

Photo

Thanks

|

9/8/2021 2:51 PM

Habitat for Humanity will pick up furniture that is in good shape and they can use in the homes they help people with. Might check with them if you have one nearby.

|