Pool Question

SEE ARE125
11/27/2020 7:34am
Just bought a new house a couple weeks ago with an in ground saltwater pool. First go at owning/maintaining a pool. My question is, how often do I need to add water? I added water a week ago, and it looks like I need to add a bit more again. Temps have been between roughly 40-60°, one day of rain, and no one has been in the pool since we bought the house so there hasn’t been any splash out. Seems like quite a bit evaporative loss given the temps. I know there’s probably a lot of variables, but just looking for a general consensus on refill frequency from those that know.
|
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
11/27/2020 9:58am
Hopefully its not a leak but I'm in South Florida and I don't add water too often although my pool is on the South side of my house so its shaded most of the time. The most common locations for leaks are at the bottom of the skimmer or behind the light. Mine had both. I stuffed pool wall fix in the light leak and fixed it 16 years ago. I had my pool deck redone but noticed a leak that stopped at the skimmer level and it went down fast. I had multiple companies give me huge quotes to cut up my new pool deck and replace skimmer. I was looking down the skimmer pipe and saw a lizard jump down there and disappeared to what seemed sideways. I dug it up from the outside and the pvc had broken at the fitting at bottom of skimmer. I unscrewed it by hand and cost about $5 to replace. Glad I didn't let them chop up my deck.
SEE ARE125
11/27/2020 10:35am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2020 10:36am
Thanks, I think I’m going to do a bucket test to see if I’ve got a leak. I know the liner was replaced a few years ago due to a hail storm, so I doubt that’s it. If it is a leak, I have no idea of the common areas to check. I’ll check the pool light and skimmer pipe that you mentioned. I may have to wait until summer, the water is freezing now. If I do have a leak, I just hope it’s not something that will cause major damage if left that long without being fixed. I’m sort of fearing water under the pool deck and freeze/thaw cycles through the winter will crack the concrete on the pool deck. I just hate calling people because like you mentioned it’ll end up being $5,000 for a $5 repair. lol
Chance1216
11/27/2020 12:31pm
Check your plumbing as PVC fittings and pipe tend to become brittle and get hairline cracks if that’s what your system is piped in. I’d turn the filters on, get the pipes running and pressurized, then start inspecting. Make a mark at the water line and see if there’s a noticeable drop below your indicator line once everything is running for awhile. As mentioned, lights, skimmers and , even tiles are areas I’d check as well as any place there is a joint requiring a seal.

Also look for areas the plumbing penetrates the slab. Sometimes with cracked lines those areas may reveal a location by water coming to the slab surface.
SEE ARE125
11/27/2020 3:24pm
Yeah it appears to all be PVC. The system runs year round, apparently being saltwater and having mild(compared to the north anyway) winters we were told it doesn’t need to be closed for the winter. We were told just to keep the pumps going and the salt levels in check all winter, and keep the skimmer clean from leaves and debris and it would be fine. I may just get someone out to give it a good look over.

The Shop

Chance1216
11/27/2020 4:16pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Yeah it appears to all be PVC. The system runs year round, apparently being saltwater and having mild(compared to the north anyway) winters we were told...
Yeah it appears to all be PVC. The system runs year round, apparently being saltwater and having mild(compared to the north anyway) winters we were told it doesn’t need to be closed for the winter. We were told just to keep the pumps going and the salt levels in check all winter, and keep the skimmer clean from leaves and debris and it would be fine. I may just get someone out to give it a good look over.
I’m not familiar with saltwater systems unless it’s an aquarium but, being a plumber I’m familiar with pumps and piping materials. It could be a number of things or nothing depending on how much the water level in your pool is dropping. Are we talking several inches a day or 2” in a weeks time?
SEE ARE125
11/27/2020 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2020 6:21pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Yeah it appears to all be PVC. The system runs year round, apparently being saltwater and having mild(compared to the north anyway) winters we were told...
Chance1216 wrote:
I’m not familiar with saltwater systems unless it’s an aquarium but, being a plumber I’m familiar with pumps and piping materials. It could be a number...
I’m not familiar with saltwater systems unless it’s an aquarium but, being a plumber I’m familiar with pumps and piping materials. It could be a number of things or nothing depending on how much the water level in your pool is dropping. Are we talking several inches a day or 2” in a weeks time?
I haven’t taken an accurate measurement, but I would guess around 3/4” since last week. I was told to keep the water level around the halfway point of the skimmer, which I was almost there last week, but I had to leave so I shut the water off and then forgot to continue filling it. Anyway, today it was back down some. I noticed because I was using the screws on each side of the skimmer as a guide, and the gap between the water line and the screws was larger than when I left it. It may be nothing and I’m overthinking it, but with the temps being 30-40s at night and 50-60s I wouldn’t expect much loss to evaporation. Pool is an 18’x36’ I believe.
rucka356
11/27/2020 7:09pm
my saltwater pool costs me about $125 per month in electric. I close mine just to save money on the electric haha. Hooking up a heater in April though, can't wait to see what that does to the electric bill.
Chance1216
11/27/2020 9:03pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
I’m not familiar with saltwater systems unless it’s an aquarium but, being a plumber I’m familiar with pumps and piping materials. It could be a number...
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I haven’t taken an accurate measurement, but I would guess around 3/4” since last week. I was told to keep the water level around the halfway...
I haven’t taken an accurate measurement, but I would guess around 3/4” since last week. I was told to keep the water level around the halfway point of the skimmer, which I was almost there last week, but I had to leave so I shut the water off and then forgot to continue filling it. Anyway, today it was back down some. I noticed because I was using the screws on each side of the skimmer as a guide, and the gap between the water line and the screws was larger than when I left it. It may be nothing and I’m overthinking it, but with the temps being 30-40s at night and 50-60s I wouldn’t expect much loss to evaporation. Pool is an 18’x36’ I believe.
Honestly, if it’s only dropping 3/4”, I think that falls under a normal range of evaporation causing that. I had a pool when I lived in Cali. We would normally top it off once it dropped 3-4” during the summer months. That only took a few weeks as well.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
11/28/2020 1:46am
I don't know a lot about vinyl liner pools or how much evaporation is normal where you live, 3/4" doesn't throw up any red flags for me. Out here in S. Cal an inch a week or so is about average. Variables are sun exposure and temperature obviously, wind, and water features like waterfalls etc. And of course if it gets used all bets are off. The most common leaks out here are the skimmer junction where the skimmer meets the pool, and light conduits. The bucket test should give you somewhat of an idea. Does it have a backwash line into the sewer ? Sometimes those leak, most backwash seals are easy to replace o-rings. That's an easy check that sometimes gets missed. If you suspect a leak in an area the red "#2" test solution makes a good dye test. Even with a small leak you can watch it get sucked in. Another unscientific but free test is to shut off the equipment and monitor the level every 24 hours for a few days. Simple as it sounds if it leaks a certain amount for a couple days then stops leaking, that tells you what level the problem is at. I know, common sense but just throwing it out there. You can also experiment with running the pump vs not running the pump, it shouldn't make a noticeable difference (unless there's a water feature) Good luck.

Post a reply to: Pool Question

The Latest