Politics (and worse) in Non-Moto

Related:
Create New Tag

10/29/2018 2:20 PM

Last weekend we had a political thread that went way sideways, including a really ugly image or two. I was disgusted enough that I put nearly everyone who participated in it on lockdown. Since then, a few have reached out to me, and a few have been unlocked. Some, I'm not sure will ever get unlocked.

Some of you already know my dislike of politics in here. I've got about a zero-tolerance policy towards stuff from either side. Obviously, the current political climate is about as bad as I've ever seen and with a mid-term election imminent, I've got something lower than a zero-tolerance attitude towards posts that even allude to it. And yes, that means I often clip posts that reference anything remotely political.

My take is this...

• I can't think of any posts on here that included politics or religion that have gone well. Even if they're relatively benign, they expose biases that people attach to the specific users. Sometimes that migrates to other rooms on here.
• I feel like the purpose of the forum (even in Non-Moto) is to put the spotlight on what brings us together (which starts with a love of motorcycles and motocross), and not to highlight what divides us.

That's the short version. If you want more explanation, ask away. We might as well make it a public discussion, rather than via individual emails. If you need to get unclipped, my email is sgiberson@vitalmx.com

|

10/29/2018 2:38 PM

Damn, I always miss the meltdowns...

|

10/29/2018 2:54 PM

AZ35 wrote:

Damn, I always miss the meltdowns...

It wasn’t as much a meltdown as a too-soon...like never posting it would have been too soon.

|

10/29/2018 3:09 PM

If I added to the political element, I apologize. I definitely don't think I added to the "right/left" thing, but the couple of anti-semitic posts crossed a pretty big line.

|

10/29/2018 3:25 PM

I'm older than you Gibby and I've never seen such outright hatred voiced by both sides. You nailed the vibe and infection into the other rooms. I've blundered into topics and voiced what I thought was a fairly benign opinion to have some caustic replies fired back. I'm no Angel but just never really even considered attacking anyone for their opinions...or anything for that matter. Sorry you have to take time to patrol for this sort of stuff but I guess you can't spend all your day counting your moneysilly w00t

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/29/2018 4:32 PM

There was a time when I let stuff fly. Now? Not so much.

|

10/29/2018 4:47 PM

Is this a political thread? smile I missed it too. I'm over politics personally. I have grown to hate both sides equally and have given up on wasting a single ounce of energy on it again. In fact this post has been too much. I'm out. smile

|

10/29/2018 7:08 PM

I just deleted a diatribe that laments the fact that we cant have a governmental policy discussion on this site. It's because there are those that just cant help but bloviating their goddamn political opinions. Which, trust me on this, nobody on the internet gives a fuck about. Nobody. But it works great for killing otherwise useful threads.

|

10/29/2018 7:27 PM

This is not 'Nam, this is Non-Moto, there are rules.

|

10/29/2018 9:31 PM

borg wrote:

I just deleted a diatribe that laments the fact that we cant have a governmental policy discussion on this site. It's because ...more

Keep up the good work.

|

10/30/2018 12:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2018 12:15 AM

GuyB’s utopia sounds like Lionel Hutz’s vision of a world without lawyers. That’s a good thing btw..

|

10/30/2018 4:13 AM

borg wrote:

I just deleted a diatribe that laments the fact that we cant have a governmental policy discussion on this site. It's because ...more

It is a rather sad & unfortunate symptom of society as a whole and how it has evolved in a relatively short time.

It is actually kind of scary when you stop & try to think of where & how it might all end or get to. One civil war was quite enough, me thinks.

|

HAF

10/30/2018 6:58 AM

I opened that thread and then slowly backed out whistling

|

10/30/2018 7:21 AM

borg wrote:

ns503 wrote:

It is a rather sad & unfortunate symptom of society as a whole and how it has evolved in a relatively short time.

It is ...more

What I have noticed is that most of the noise is being made by a very small percentage of Americans. Did you know that less than 5% of the population watch CNN,MSNBC and FOX, at any given time. A much larger percentage rage on social media where they are anonymous. But, through all my daily human contacts, the subject of politics rarely if ever comes up. The last time somebody started talking political shit, another one of my friends said, knock it off. This is a golf tee not a soap box. That was about a year ago.

|

10/30/2018 7:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2018 7:27 AM

Sucks when some good threads gets derailed by the same trolls (from both sides) over and over again. Then the thread has to be flushed so the good discussions go down the toilet with the garbage. Rinse and repeat.

|

10/30/2018 9:07 AM

I could see that one was asking for trouble.
I put most of this mess on social media. So easy to hide behind keyboards.

What I do find is that in real life the world is a pretty good place. I see nothing but kindness in my day to day life and cannot recall the last time I have experienced or witnessed any hatred. I live in a pretty diverse area in So Cal, so maybe it’s different on other areas. Just got back from a trip to the Northwest and expertienced nothing but love/kindness from anyone we dealt with.

|

10/30/2018 9:23 AM

KennyT wrote:

...more

Well - that is encouraging.

IMO the whole world could use more discussion around politics. But problem is it rarely stays civil for long - almost always instantly devolves into the typical lefty-righty ranting B.S., with each side being as bad as the other.

Kudos Gibby.

|

HAF

10/30/2018 9:43 AM

KennyT wrote:

...more

Yep i think that is a pretty common experience for most of us, but sadly most of us don't live in the "real world" for the largest part of our day anymore. This forum is just a tiny example of that:
Photo

|

10/30/2018 11:17 AM

Our 1st Amendment right allows verbal and written dissent against our government, without fear of retaliation from our government.

I think that speaking out does carry consequence though.

Personally, I think all social forums should require verified use of name.

People can still say what they want, but when they know a search on the Google machine will show who the REALLY are, people will clean up their act.

Just a guess, but I hope that would evoke a more moderate tone on these boards.

|

10/30/2018 12:07 PM

Drat, no more teleprompter, pant suit or cheeto combover jokes..... wink

|

"We don't rent pigs."

10/30/2018 2:01 PM

Shiftfaced wrote:

Our 1st Amendment right allows verbal and written dissent against our government, without fear of retaliation from our ...more

I dunno man.

I see some people I know who I thought were reasonable people and some even friends going totally off the shelf over this stuff on Facebook, real names attached & all. Seems to be no shame involved at all, sometimes, and I just don't know what the heck they're thinking anymore.

I avoid these people now as much as I can in real life...

|

HAF

10/30/2018 2:56 PM

It's a shame that you can't have a calm rational discussion about how our societies are run these days without it dissolving into a shit show.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Empty a bag of skittles into the toilet and then flush. It's like watching a five second long nascar race.

10/30/2018 3:15 PM

Well , I can be proud of myself....I stayed the fuck out of that thread! Saw it , read through it , shook my head more then a few times......and left it to everyone else.

The only thing I'll say about it is , I'm really sorry a bunch of people lost their lives , and my thought's go out to all the families of those victim's.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

10/30/2018 3:25 PM

Rooster wrote:

It's a shame that you can't have a calm rational discussion about how our societies are run these days without it dissolving ...more

The thing is.....political alliance can separate friends and family....it can be an extremely powerful divide depending on that specific person's belief on how they think the planet should be like. I am way guilty of bringing it up on here in the past , when someone with the exact opposite view's as myself posts something. I have friend's and family that think differently then myself.......and that is one thing I put a STOP to immediately! I won't discuss politic's with my friend's and family , because it's a good way ( almost sure way ) of losing them. I'm strait , and to the point , of telling someone " Shut the fuck up! " in conversation's like that. I don't want to hear it from them , and they won't want to hear it from me.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

10/30/2018 4:13 PM

I too blame social media (even though I love MY social media but I use it for fun) think about it, if it wasn't for social media would you have any idea about anyone's political sidings I know I wouldn't.. I mean you could prob appeal that it's good to know if someone has opinions that you really have any sort of major problem with, but I'd assume that would come out in everyday interactions.. If I do get involved I just try to put my opinion forward or explain it from my point of view without trying to 'win' anything.

Anyway when I think about getting involved I always remember two things
No one online has ever changed another persons opinion online.

Arguing on the internet is like wrestling a shit covered bear, in the end, you're covered in shit and it's still a bear
(That was a quote from someone on here and it's one of my favourites haha)

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

10/30/2018 9:14 PM

I think very little good comes from Facebook- maybe a fund raiser now and then. I quit a few years back.
If you move to a new community and want to see its nastiest, most divisive side, from people with nothing better to do- join the local FB group. Or you can get to know people face to face like the old days, and I guarantee you it's a more pleasant experience.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

10/31/2018 6:50 AM

So, are Alien visitation threads that involve government cover ups considered political?

|

10/31/2018 7:18 AM

Ha ha, or any other conspiracy theory? smile

|

10/31/2018 7:34 AM

I remember when I used to participate in such threads.... Ah...the good ole days. smile

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

11/1/2018 3:16 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

Well , I can be proud of myself....I stayed the fuck out of that thread! Saw it , read through it , shook my head more then a ...more

Lol, honestly Jeffro I thought of you when I read that people were clipped. Was sad for a moment. You’re just a passionate kind of guy!!cool

Is BobPA still here? Didn’t get to see the thread but I imagine him getting excited in that one as well. grin

|