Plantar Fasciitis

Related:
Create New Tag

6/19/2022 2:11 PM

Anyone here ever gone through with the surgery? Full release/partial release?
12 years into pf and I’ve had enough, ready to find some permanent solution.

|

6/19/2022 2:48 PM

Suffered for a couple of years. Tried different foot pads, shoes, etc.

Wife finally made me go to an orthopedist at the practice she worked at. He recommended cheap Walmart heel cups only and stretching twice a day on stairs, a couple months later I had zero pain. I still stretch at least once a day on the stairs but no longer need heel cups. Been over 5 years since I’ve had pain.

Sounds like yours is a lot worse if they are recommending surgery, though. I had a difficult time walking at its worst, but was always able to deal with it when I had to. I was probably lucky enough to have a lesser case than some.

|

6/19/2022 3:51 PM

Suffered with it for years. Started feeling better and decided to train for a 5k. Worst decision I ever made. Took me two years to recover. Tried the good feet store and bought the $400 inserts helped for a while, then got another pair and it got worse again. I found out I was wearing worn shoes. Not worn out. Had people tell me hoka's were good. Tried them seemed to help a little, then switched to brooks. I only wear them for a couple months, then buy new ones. Did this for about a year and now I'm 100%.

|

6/19/2022 4:10 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

Wife finally made me go to an orthopedist at the ...more

Can you describe the stair stretching that worked for you? I’ve had it in the past and shoe inserts always took care of it. Now I’ve had it for a solid 6 months or so and heal pads or inserts aren’t doing anything. Thanks for any info you can share.

To the OP. I hope you can get it figured out without surgery. Keep us posted on how you’re doing

|

6/19/2022 4:47 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

KennyT wrote:

Can you describe the stair stretching that worked for you? I’ve had it in the past and shoe inserts always took care of it. ...more

For me it was just a simple matter of putting my toe on the stair tread with my heel hanging off and dropping my heel as far as possible then raising my heel as far as possible. I do 10 of those with both feet on the tread, then 10 for each foot by themselves. I do those before I go upstairs each morning (daylight basement, our master bedroom is on the bottom floor) out of habit now.

Plantar fasciitis is one of the most painful things I’ve ever had when it’s been at its worst. Felt like two broken feet that had broken glass shoved into them.

|

6/19/2022 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2022 6:41 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

KennyT wrote:

Can you describe the stair stretching that worked for you? I’ve had it in the past and shoe inserts always took care of it. ...more

APLMAN99 wrote:

For me it was just a simple matter of putting my toe on the stair tread with my heel hanging off and dropping my heel as far ...more

Exactly- it feels like being stabbed in the heel or shot with a nail gun. I think there are two types of pf one where it starts to tear, (stabbing pain) and one where it is only inflamed (aching or burning pain)
I’ve had people tell me all about their pf and how they can only run 6 miles a day instead of ten. I don’t think they’re experiencing real pf. It can be so severe it makes you yell involuntarily

|

6/19/2022 6:48 PM

KennyT wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

For me it was just a simple matter of putting my toe on the stair tread with my heel hanging off and dropping my heel as far ...more

Mx746 wrote:

Exactly- it feels like being stabbed in the heel or shot with a nail gun. I think there are two types of pf one where it ...more

I think it’s different for everyone. I think I have a relatively high threshold for pain, but being a large guy I put a lot of strain on my feet. And as bad as they used to hurt, I’m pretty sure that there are people who have had it quite a bit worse, even when it nearly brought tears to my eyes.

Running 10 yards would have been impossible when mine were at its worst, but then again I think that anyone capable of running 10 miles is already doing a better job of stretching and things than I ever was.

I was actually resistant to the orthopedic doctor’s recommendation for the cheap heel cups at first because it really felt like I needed arch support, but everything I tried with arch support either made it worse or at best had no relief. The heel cups seemed counter intuitive to me, but they helped massively!

|

6/19/2022 8:32 PM

Got it for the first time about 20 years ago.

doctor gave me celebrex. had a nasty side effect that changed me from not being able to walk, to not being able to sit.

tried all kinds of insoles and boots.

Timberland titan work boots are the only thing I seem to be able to wear to keep it from flaring up.

Sometimes i use a hard 3/4 insole if it starts to feel funny.

It did flare up pretty good a few years ago and I got a steroid shot which helped.

other tips for those that might experience it:

don't go barefoot, even around the house.

freeze a bottle of water and roll your foot on it .the rolling and the cold will help relieve the inflammation some, especially at the end of the day.

There was roller that you put in the freezer that works pretty good too. it was featured on shark tank.

Really important, and the one I struggle with is, lose weight.

|

6/19/2022 10:10 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

KennyT wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

Thank you very much for the tip. I am going to get on that regimen and see if I can get some relief. I appreciate your help 👍

|

6/20/2022 5:26 AM

My buddy had PF and didn't know what it was or why it was bothering him, just that he was having pains. He was doing sprints during the run portions of a cross fit workout and felt something rip on the bottom of his foot. When he went to the Dr. and got an MRI. He was informed that he had PF and the correction was surgery, but according to the rip he managed to produce during the workout, he ripped the "muscle or tendons" and he essentially performed exact same result as what the Dr. would have done during the surgical procedure.

Needless to say, that sounded painful as hell. He had to spend some time with a boot and recover just as he would have after surgery.

|

6/20/2022 5:38 AM

KennyT wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

KennyT wrote:

Thank you very much for the tip. I am going to get on that regimen and see if I can get some relief. I appreciate your help

No problem, hope it helps! Everyone with it has slightly different issues and they could have a worse case than mine were, but this definitely worked for me.

Another thing that I credit for ‘maintenance’ is that I rarely wear anything but Keen and Ecco footwear. I got my stride ‘analyzed’ at a shoe store called ‘The Walking Store’ and those were the recommendations. I do have a pair of New Balance shoes that I occasionally wear, but like a previous poster talked about, I toss them the minute that they appear to be looking worn and replace them with a new pair.

I’m pretty diligent with my stretching and footwear because I never want to feel like my feet have broken glass in them ever again!

|

6/20/2022 7:41 AM

I have had trouble with this for years.

I have been using Spenco Orthotics for about 10 years and they really help

https://www.amazon.com/Spenco-Orthotic-Support-Length-Insoles/dp/B0040KOTFI/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=spenco+insoles&qid=1655735835&sr=8-5

But one morning I got out of bed and had incredible stabbing pain in my heel. I limped around for a couple of days, then bought one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Spenco-Orthotic-Support-Length-Insoles/dp/B0040KOTFI/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=spenco+insoles&qid=1655735835&sr=8-5

There's no way that I would be able to sleep with that contraption on, but I started wearing it in the evenings for a few hours while watching tv or whatever, and just as quick as the pain came on, it went away. It took about a week.

That was about 3 months ago and it hasn't come back on me.

Weird!

|

“If I remember how this worked, you’d put a side on, and then you’d go and have something to eat, and then you’d put another side on.” … Mick Jagger

6/20/2022 7:47 AM

Look into the TB12 method. They suggest a foam rolling with a vibrating spherical ball.

I didn't have it nearly bad enough to warrant surgery and it was before I heard about a vibrating ball. I did have it really bad for a while though and I used a softball to roll it. I also wear nothing but New Balance shoes.

|

Florida Trail Riders Area 4 Director
Volusia/Flagler Counties

6/20/2022 7:48 AM

Just as APL saw results from his stretches, you may benefit from releasing some tension in your calves. Most physical therapists will prescribe calf stretches for pf. Tight calves and poor ankle mobility puts a lot of strain on your plantar fascia. If you haven’t found a good PT, I’d start there. Your surgeon spent years of schooling and competed with a lot of other young doctors to prove that he is the best candidate for performing surgeries. He didn’t do all that to talk people into looking for therapeutic alternatives. To him, the best option will always be surgery. You can try these as a remedy that keeps you out of the OR:

Stretching: has worked for a lot of pf patients, including some here. If you can’t hold a full ass to grass squat for 10 seconds with your heels on the ground, your calves need to loosen up. You can find a variety of stretches for this online, or go to a good PT.

Shoes: low drop or zero drop shoes help with tight calves by allowing the foot to sit parallel to the ground instead of toe low and heel high. This helps with lengthening the calves and taking the work out of the plantar fascia. Altra makes good shoes with lots of toe room and no drop.

Lifestyle: I’ve heard PTs give out some seemingly strange advice that’s worked wonders for a variety of patients. For pf, two have popped up a few times. First, go barefoot more around your house. Not even socks on. It seems counter intuitive to take off your shoes when your feet hurt like hell, but having your foot flat on the ground and your skin in contact with the ground will stretch your calves and give you sensory feedback. Secondly, untuck your bed sheets at the bottom of the bed. Tight bed sheets are a known culprit of pf because they can force you to sleep with pointed toes. If you wake up and dread putting your feet on the ground first thing in the am, it may be that you’re sleeping with your toes pointed and your calves and fascia are tightening up over night.

|

6/20/2022 10:38 AM

My sports podiatrist has given me yearly exams and basic options like stretching, orthotics, anti inflammatory etc. It’s just such a predictable problem- anytime I do more than just carefully walk around, I over stress the tendon and I’m back to square one with the sensation of a nail gun to the heel.
Riding is ok , foot immobilized in supportive boot, then a hard landing will cause a flare up, and I’ll be off the bike for three months. It’s the endless cycle of re-injury and downtime that has me investigating surgery options. Appreciate all the good responses gents thanks!

|

6/20/2022 2:06 PM

indy_maico wrote:

I have had trouble with this for years.

I have been using Spenco Orthotics for about 10 years and they really help

...more

X2 on the spenco 3/4 insoles.

Those are what I have had really good luck with and referred to in my earlier post, I just had a brain fart and couldnt recall the brand.

|

6/20/2022 7:16 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of products out there that will work. A few years ago I was on a company trip to demo our aircraft to the military at Holloman AFB NM. Bammm, bone spur (PF) hit from nowhere. I bought a new pair of comfy shoes which got me thru the show but it still hurt like walking on broken glass.

A few weeks later I took the family to the KS State Fair. One of the vendors was selling a high zoot gel insert that they GUARANTEED to eleminate PF pain. $40 bucks for snake oil...gimme some.

The pain was gone in 3 weeks. I popped the originals. They replaced them for free. Wore the next pair almost a year. 10 years later...still no pain.

There is relief out there.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

6/20/2022 7:41 PM

I had it for quite some time and this stretch helped me.

|