Physics with Falcon (and others)

APLMAN99
8/4/2021 11:02am
Falcon wrote:
^It looks like the math involved in the above is for bullets with air resistance, which I agree has some effect on the bullet. In a...
^It looks like the math involved in the above is for bullets with air resistance, which I agree has some effect on the bullet. In a vacuum, there would be no difference.
APLMAN99 wrote:
True, but we don't live in a vacuum.......!

Cool
Falcon wrote:
People on the Moon will. Cool

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Probably, but right now that population is zero so I won't mind too much....!
lestat
8/4/2021 12:15pm
Robgvx wrote:
So, do you weigh more at the poles than at the equator? Theory being that at the equator you have centrifugal force acting against the earth’s...
So, do you weigh more at the poles than at the equator?

Theory being that at the equator you have centrifugal force acting against the earth’s gravity, but the same can’t be said for at the poles…

And if you did weigh more at the poles, how would you know? The bathroom scales would be affected by the same amount…
Falcon wrote:
You most certainly do weigh more at the poles. I read the amount once and it was significant. I can't remember how much, but it was...
You most certainly do weigh more at the poles. I read the amount once and it was significant. I can't remember how much, but it was nearly a pound for an average person, I think.
Falcon wrote:
Here's a great read about it. Pretty concise, as well: https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2014/01/07/do-i-weigh-less-on-the-equator-than-at-the-north-pole/#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20weigh%20less%20on,as%20you%20approach%20the%20poles. I didn't think to mention before that the slight bulge at the equator lessens your...
Here's a great read about it. Pretty concise, as well: https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2014/01/07/do-i-weigh-less-on-the-equa….

I didn't think to mention before that the slight bulge at the equator lessens your body weight also, since you are slightly farther away from the center of the Earth.
Sort of along the same lines , your head is older than your feet … unless you spend a lot of time hanging upside down .
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1517th
8/4/2021 2:33pm
Falcon wrote:
^It looks like the math involved in the above is for bullets with air resistance, which I agree has some effect on the bullet. In a...
^It looks like the math involved in the above is for bullets with air resistance, which I agree has some effect on the bullet. In a vacuum, there would be no difference.
APLMAN99 wrote:

Cool
Falcon wrote:

But you can't shoot the gun on the moon.

The Shop

SEEMEFIRST
8/5/2021 5:59am
APLMAN99 wrote:

Cool
Falcon wrote:

Log Hopper wrote:
But you can't shoot the gun on the moon.
Bullets being airtight would allow it.
Rawly
8/6/2021 10:08pm
Shouldn’t all of the explosions in Star Wars been silent ? Actually all of the outdoor scenes being silent might be too boring to handle.
SEEMEFIRST
8/7/2021 12:28pm
Rawly wrote:
Shouldn’t all of the explosions in Star Wars been silent ? Actually all of the outdoor scenes being silent might be too boring to handle.
Why?
I'm asking because I don't know.
Radio waves move in space, why wouldn't sound waves?
Robgvx
8/7/2021 1:56pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Why?
Because sound is vibrations in the air I believe.
SEEMEFIRST
8/7/2021 2:42pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Why?
Robgvx wrote:
Makes sense.
I never really considered it before.
APLMAN99
8/7/2021 3:49pm
Rawly wrote:
The spacecraft movements are based upon the physics of the earth for the most part, as well.

But I always viewed it as a fictional tale, so it never really bothered me.
zman721
8/8/2021 1:21pm
Falcon wrote:
You most certainly do weigh more at the poles. I read the amount once and it was significant. I can't remember how much, but it was...
You most certainly do weigh more at the poles. I read the amount once and it was significant. I can't remember how much, but it was nearly a pound for an average person, I think.
Falcon wrote:
Here's a great read about it. Pretty concise, as well: https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2014/01/07/do-i-weigh-less-on-the-equator-than-at-the-north-pole/#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20weigh%20less%20on,as%20you%20approach%20the%20poles. I didn't think to mention before that the slight bulge at the equator lessens your...
Here's a great read about it. Pretty concise, as well: https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2014/01/07/do-i-weigh-less-on-the-equa….

I didn't think to mention before that the slight bulge at the equator lessens your body weight also, since you are slightly farther away from the center of the Earth.
lestat wrote:
Sort of along the same lines , your head is older than your feet … unless you spend a lot of time hanging upside down .
I thought that was going to go the opposite way with your head on a larger radius from the earths center therefore spinning(moving) faster and aging slower. Had to search it to get the gravity related time differential.
Robgvx
8/9/2021 4:19am
Falcon wrote:
Falcon wrote:

lestat wrote:
I’d agree.

My feet still look eighteen. My head on the other hand…

8/9/2021 5:36am
Rawly wrote:
I always loved the sound of the seismic charges Jango Fett uses in "Attack of the Clones". A very non "movie explosiony" sound and it sounds cool. Basically a low bass thrum.
GabeM
8/9/2021 10:10am
Rawly wrote:
it takes place in a galaxy far, far, way. The physics are different in their galaxy.
8/9/2021 10:57am
GabeM wrote:
it takes place in a galaxy far, far, way. The physics are different in their galaxy.
Another example of sci-fi physics "just working"; when Gene Roddenberry would often be asked how the transporters worked in Star Trek, his answer was always, "very well, thank you."
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/9/2021 1:09pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Why?
Robgvx wrote:
Correct. Sound requires a medium to propogate through, as it is merely waves of alternating high and low pressure. As there is zero pressure in space, there is also zero sound. Note that you can hear sound through solid objects, as well.

Imagine the noise we'd hear during the daytime if we could hear the sun!
SEEMEFIRST
8/9/2021 2:25pm
OK, thanks. Again, I never even thought about it before.

Yet another reason for mechanics to just, well, mechanic.
cse
Fantasy
2136th
8/10/2021 10:30am
GabeM wrote:
Another example of sci-fi physics "just working"; when Gene Roddenberry would often be asked how the transporters worked in Star Trek, his answer was always, "very...
Another example of sci-fi physics "just working"; when Gene Roddenberry would often be asked how the transporters worked in Star Trek, his answer was always, "very well, thank you."
I recently read Project Hail Mary. Without giving too much of the story away, I liked how the laws of physics, as we know them, applied outside of our solar system.
8/10/2021 10:40am
Oh I should check that out. I like the Martian and Artemis enough that I'll give any of Weir's works a try.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
8/13/2021 3:12pm
Falcon wrote:
Here's one that my friend, who is a rifleman, just won't believe: A bullet, upon leaving the muzzle of a gun, drops to the ground as...
Here's one that my friend, who is a rifleman, just won't believe:

A bullet, upon leaving the muzzle of a gun, drops to the ground as quickly as if you had dropped it from your hand.
While I believe that to be true, I also believe that it will take longer to "hit" the ground. If you fire a bullet level, as the bullet travels, the ground is dropping away from the bullet and the bullet has further to drop.
TM
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/13/2021 3:21pm
Falcon wrote:
Here's one that my friend, who is a rifleman, just won't believe: A bullet, upon leaving the muzzle of a gun, drops to the ground as...

A bullet, upon leaving the muzzle of a gun, drops to the ground as quickly as if you had dropped it from your hand.
ToolMaker wrote:
While I believe that to be true, I also believe that it will take longer to "hit" the ground. If you fire a bullet level, as...
While I believe that to be true, I also believe that it will take longer to "hit" the ground. If you fire a bullet level, as the bullet travels, the ground is dropping away from the bullet and the bullet has further to drop.
TM
Because of the Earth's curvature, you mean? That would be true as well, to a very small degree.
SEEMEFIRST
8/13/2021 3:42pm
Falcon wrote:

ToolMaker wrote:
While I believe that to be true, I also believe that it will take longer to "hit" the ground. If you fire a bullet level, as...
TM
Eh, I don't think it would be appreciable unless you were shooting something that reached out there, even then...

The experiment is pretty hard to do. You would have to have a long, very flat spot.

One thing is a constant, gravity. You just can't fool it.

You could have wind variables, spin drift effects bullet flight, etc.

But gravity is damned regular.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
658th
8/14/2021 12:57am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2021 1:07am
A bullet shot into the wind will fall faster due to extra drag and vice versa when shot with the wind which seems pretty obvious. More interestingly, a bullet out of a RH twist barrel into a crosswind moving from right to left will actually climb vertically to some degree because the spin on the bullet will walk its way up the wind. The opposite would be true of a RH twist bullet shot into a crosswind from the left to right.
cse
Fantasy
2136th
8/14/2021 8:13am
Oh I should check that out. I like the Martian and Artemis enough that I'll give any of Weir's works a try.
I thought it was a good read. Fell somewhere between The Martian and Artemis for me.
APLMAN99
8/14/2021 8:31am
Hoseclamp wrote:
A bullet shot into the wind will fall faster due to extra drag and vice versa when shot with the wind which seems pretty obvious. More...
A bullet shot into the wind will fall faster due to extra drag and vice versa when shot with the wind which seems pretty obvious. More interestingly, a bullet out of a RH twist barrel into a crosswind moving from right to left will actually climb vertically to some degree because the spin on the bullet will walk its way up the wind. The opposite would be true of a RH twist bullet shot into a crosswind from the left to right.
When you say faster, do you actually mean in less distance on the x axis or faster by time?
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
658th
8/14/2021 8:37am
Hoseclamp wrote:
A bullet shot into the wind will fall faster due to extra drag and vice versa when shot with the wind which seems pretty obvious. More...
APLMAN99 wrote:
When you say faster, do you actually mean in less distance on the x axis or faster by time?
Hmmmm... good question. When shot into the wind it will fall in less distance for sure due to the wind pushing back on it. Time till it drops? Im not sure.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
658th
8/14/2021 8:39am
Maybe Falcon can explain the coriolis effect to us? I kinda get it, but would look like a fool if I tried to explain it in words.
APLMAN99
8/14/2021 8:51am
Hoseclamp wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Hoseclamp wrote:
Hmmmm... good question. When shot into the wind it will fall in less distance for sure due to the wind pushing back on it. Time till...
Hmmmm... good question. When shot into the wind it will fall in less distance for sure due to the wind pushing back on it. Time till it drops? Im not sure.
Not sure either, but at first thought it would seem that if a bullet produced no lift, like a wing, then the time wouldn’t change. But there could be something else working on it I guess.
m121c
8/15/2021 9:27am
Hoseclamp wrote:
Dang, got me thinking of more gun related physics. Typically a heavier bullet for a given caliber will require more twist to stabilize it, not necessarily...
Dang, got me thinking of more gun related physics.

Typically a heavier bullet for a given caliber will require more twist to stabilize it, not necessarily because of the weight but because of the length. See you cant make the bullet and bigger around so the heavier ones are longer to gain the extra weight. Of course there are some exceptions due to actual bullet construction/materials.

Which leads into a 1:10 twist being faster than a 1:12 twist which seems backwards untill you think about it.

Also in long range load development, "watching" the barrel move in and out of its harmonic "sweet spot" as you make the loads hotter and hotter is pretty cool. Reading about it is one thing, but seeing it in person is truely fascinating to watch.

Remind me again how a boat tail works. Haha
For my physics III final I created a computational model of a bullet being fired to study "celebratory gun fire" after I had heard about this being an issue.. particularly over seas where civilians get their hands on military grade weapons and will fire them in the air in celebration (say at a wedding). Don't quote me, but the news story goes that one wedding in particular ended up with 22 (?) people killed or injured from people shooting bullets straight up in the air. Can't remember really.

The model would account for different bullet/weapon types and then would log their final energy state when they would impact. Everything but a 9mm meant almost certain death... even when fired directly straight above your head meaning the bullet at some height has a point of zero velocity... although with a 9mm you had a slight survival rate depending on location, elevation, etc.

Apparently stray bullets is actually a big problem... peoples homes/roofs get hit all the time. Might seem pretty trivial but I never really thought a bullet falling would have that much force.
Robgvx
8/15/2021 10:50am
Hoseclamp wrote:
Dang, got me thinking of more gun related physics. Typically a heavier bullet for a given caliber will require more twist to stabilize it, not necessarily...
Dang, got me thinking of more gun related physics.

Typically a heavier bullet for a given caliber will require more twist to stabilize it, not necessarily because of the weight but because of the length. See you cant make the bullet and bigger around so the heavier ones are longer to gain the extra weight. Of course there are some exceptions due to actual bullet construction/materials.

Which leads into a 1:10 twist being faster than a 1:12 twist which seems backwards untill you think about it.

Also in long range load development, "watching" the barrel move in and out of its harmonic "sweet spot" as you make the loads hotter and hotter is pretty cool. Reading about it is one thing, but seeing it in person is truely fascinating to watch.

Remind me again how a boat tail works. Haha
m121c wrote:
For my physics III final I created a computational model of a bullet being fired to study "celebratory gun fire" after I had heard about this...
For my physics III final I created a computational model of a bullet being fired to study "celebratory gun fire" after I had heard about this being an issue.. particularly over seas where civilians get their hands on military grade weapons and will fire them in the air in celebration (say at a wedding). Don't quote me, but the news story goes that one wedding in particular ended up with 22 (?) people killed or injured from people shooting bullets straight up in the air. Can't remember really.

The model would account for different bullet/weapon types and then would log their final energy state when they would impact. Everything but a 9mm meant almost certain death... even when fired directly straight above your head meaning the bullet at some height has a point of zero velocity... although with a 9mm you had a slight survival rate depending on location, elevation, etc.

Apparently stray bullets is actually a big problem... peoples homes/roofs get hit all the time. Might seem pretty trivial but I never really thought a bullet falling would have that much force.
I have a Pheasant shoot that operates next to my house. When they shoot from a few hundred yards away the shotgun pellets fall on my cars, and us! I was in the garden once and got hit. Hardly felt it, but nonetheless I can say that I’ve been shot by a twelve-bore!

Post a reply to: Physics with Falcon (and others)

The Latest