Phones listening to us?

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
Okay this was weird. I know whenever I look online for various products I will see ads pop up when I go to FB or wherever. Obvious they are following my searches

So the other day a Milwaukee saw takes a shit on the job. I of course bitch and saw stuff like “you would think buying a top of the line Milwaukee it would last longer than 6 months” with some other choice words thrown in.

So the next day I’m on FB and on my news feed I see ad for the exact saw that broke. I swear I didn’t go on any website to look for one. My son in law said the phone is listening and picking up keywords. It makes sense....how else would it have known?

Anyone know about this? I’m thinking about testing it out at work tomorrow and mentioning another brand and needing to buy a new one and see if another ad pops up. And no...I’m not crazy...yet
|
Ted722
6/17/2018 6:02pm
Wouldn't surprise me. I've got an iPhone. Went to Settings / Privacy / Microphone and it lists YouTube as requesting access to the microphone. Don't have Facebook. Maybe Facebook would show in there if I had it.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/17/2018 6:27pm
Phones are listening, no doubt about it.
As far as that saw... imo milwaukee has gone downhill. Made in China and it shows. Sad
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
6/17/2018 6:38pm
For sure.

Have seen this multiple times. Test it out tomorrow, at some point even if you have to talk to your self starting talking about something that you for sure haven't searched for ever. Leave it in your pocket and see what happens.
6/18/2018 3:21am
As soon as you allow any app access to your microphone, it can use it in the background. Facebook does it constantly, as do others. Google uses it to tailor ads towards you.

The Shop

Donovan759
6/18/2018 7:21am
This happens to me all the time. They're definitely listening.
akillerwombat
6/18/2018 7:39am
It's actually the other way around; you're listening.

I 100% guarantee they played this add for you a dozen times already (based on your search history) but it wasn't until the ad meant something to you did you hear it / see it.
ns503
6/18/2018 8:43am
It's actually the other way around; you're listening. I 100% guarantee they played this add for you a dozen times already (based on your search history)...

I 100% guarantee they played this add for you a dozen times already (based on your search history) but it wasn't until the ad meant something to you did you hear it / see it.
Disagree.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
6/18/2018 8:56am
It's actually the other way around; you're listening. I 100% guarantee they played this add for you a dozen times already (based on your search history)...

Na. Its a actual option in your privacy settings. Had the same stuff happen to me, search the issue, turned off my mic access from apps. Done, no more strange adds directly related to conversations I've had with my phone in the room.
akillerwombat
6/18/2018 9:09am

ns503 wrote:
Disagree.
Deleted my response; I don't have time to engage in anything this deep today.

Phones, internet, it's all spying on you one way or another.

Go capitalism!
FiendzCC
6/18/2018 9:24am

Are you seriously implying that phones don't recommend ads to you unless you've searched that item or phrase in the past?
MR. X
6/18/2018 9:29am

FiendzCC wrote:
Are you seriously implying that phones don't recommend ads to you unless you've searched that item or phrase in the past?
He's playing the card that people can be told what to do subcontiously. I'll let you figure the rest out .
akillerwombat
6/18/2018 9:53am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2018 9:59am

FiendzCC wrote:
MR. X wrote:
He's playing the card that people can be told what to do subcontiously. I'll let you figure the rest out .
I have to run to a shoot so I'll double back to this later, but....

In my 15 years in advertising (at some of the highest level agencies) I've never been involved in a meeting that "spying on people through their microphone" was discussed as an actual marketing strategy because the ramifications for getting caught doing so would be incredibly damaging to the brand doing it. Again, not saying it doesn't happen but given the amount of data everyone already has on you, and the 20 years of creating target specific algorithms, they do a scary good job targeting you without your microphone... the secret is they target you, and people like you, THEN bombard the shit out of you with endless ads in hopes of catching you at the moment it will stick. So while you might not need a specific tool the data you're lumped with means other people just like you do... and thus they assume you need it as well.

Just think about it, how often does what you're saying around your phone line up perfectly with an ad presented to you? Personally I have one of those moments maybe once every 6 months. Now given the fact that we see an estimated 4,000 - 20,000 ads a day that means their hit rate per six months could be somewhere between 1 out of 720,000 to 1 out of 3.6 million.

One would think that if they were spying on you that much through your microphone that you would notice the connection more often, right?

This is also assuming you can remember everything you've ever searched for the entirety of being on the internet, other ads you've clicked, sites you've specifically visited, etc.

And people can 100% be told what to do subconsciously, why do you think food logos are red and yellow? Why do you think car logos are blue? Why do you think companies in the United States spend upwards of $220 billion dollars a year? It's all about laying a foundation that will have you thinking about their brand first when the first thoughts of "I need" enter your mind.
peelout
6/18/2018 10:22am
it's Yanny, and if any of you limp-wrists hear Laurel then GTFO
Camp332
6/18/2018 10:38am
Damn Bro, my phone is going to hear me laying pipe all the time. I'm a plumber
NorCal 50+
6/18/2018 11:10am
I was just reading about this...Electronic Privacy Information Center:

“There are many problems today with the Digital Advertising Ecosystems – profiling and tracking of internet users, increasing concentration of providers (Google and Facebook), the loss of support for editorial content, discriminatory practices and redlining, preferencing the advertiser’s products over competitor’s, and political ads purchased by foreign advertisers intended [to] undermine democratic elections.

"Two companies dominate the market. The privacy of internet users is under assault. The revenue model that sustained journalism is broken. The ad platforms are manipulated by foreign adversaries. Secrecy and complexity are increasing as accountability is diminished,”...

“Today’s digital advertising techniques are very different from traditional advertising models. In the analog world, consumers could readily identify the placement of an ad, the source and its purpose. There was little need for advertisers to gather personal data from users. Perhaps most critically, advertising supported editorial content. Advertising made possible the publication of daily news. Traditional advertising sustained a healthy ecosystem that also made possible the production of news without government subsidy. Much of that has changed,”

https://epic.org/testimony/congress/EPIC-HEC-DigitalAdvertising-June201…
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/18/2018 11:17am

ns503 wrote:
Disagree.
Deleted my response; I don't have time to engage in anything this deep today. Phones, internet, it's all spying on you one way or another. Go...
Deleted my response; I don't have time to engage in anything this deep today.

Phones, internet, it's all spying on you one way or another.

Go capitalism!
I understand what you are saying but I don’t think that was the case this time. I had zero issues with this tool up until a few days ago. The day it goes out, within 24 hours the af pops up. I’m one that can’t help seeing the ads, as much as I would like to ignore them. I do know if I’m searching the internet for a truck or whatever....those same trucks show up on the news feed of various sites immediately

Now I’m not saying 100% that the Milwaukee saw ad was never there before, but I’m pretty sure it wasnt

early
Fantasy
2212th
6/18/2018 11:38am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2018 11:39am
Kenny, you sure you didn't look up anything related to the saw in between the time it broke and when you saw the ad? Either on your phone or computer.
FiendzCC
6/18/2018 4:20pm
I have to run to a shoot so I'll double back to this later, but.... In my 15 years in advertising ([i]at some of the highest...
I have to run to a shoot so I'll double back to this later, but....

In my 15 years in advertising (at some of the highest level agencies) I've never been involved in a meeting that "spying on people through their microphone" was discussed as an actual marketing strategy because the ramifications for getting caught doing so would be incredibly damaging to the brand doing it. Again, not saying it doesn't happen but given the amount of data everyone already has on you, and the 20 years of creating target specific algorithms, they do a scary good job targeting you without your microphone... the secret is they target you, and people like you, THEN bombard the shit out of you with endless ads in hopes of catching you at the moment it will stick. So while you might not need a specific tool the data you're lumped with means other people just like you do... and thus they assume you need it as well.

Just think about it, how often does what you're saying around your phone line up perfectly with an ad presented to you? Personally I have one of those moments maybe once every 6 months. Now given the fact that we see an estimated 4,000 - 20,000 ads a day that means their hit rate per six months could be somewhere between 1 out of 720,000 to 1 out of 3.6 million.

One would think that if they were spying on you that much through your microphone that you would notice the connection more often, right?

This is also assuming you can remember everything you've ever searched for the entirety of being on the internet, other ads you've clicked, sites you've specifically visited, etc.

And people can 100% be told what to do subconsciously, why do you think food logos are red and yellow? Why do you think car logos are blue? Why do you think companies in the United States spend upwards of $220 billion dollars a year? It's all about laying a foundation that will have you thinking about their brand first when the first thoughts of "I need" enter your mind.
I mean that's good that you haven't noticed it more than once every six months, but myself and some (by no means all) of my friends have noticed it on a much more regular basis than that. Before I ditched smart devices altogether, I noticed this happening almost once a week, showing me ads on things I've never researched online, things I only just had a conversation about for the first time.

I believe with my uninformed pea-brain with no concrete evidence whatsoever that mic is constantly data basing everything we say, at all times. Maybe it's paranoia, maybe it's Maybelline, maybe it's just the NSA and we can ask Bill Binney if any of this is possible Cool
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/18/2018 4:40pm
early wrote:
Kenny, you sure you didn't look up anything related to the saw in between the time it broke and when you saw the ad? Either on...
Kenny, you sure you didn't look up anything related to the saw in between the time it broke and when you saw the ad? Either on your phone or computer.
Definitely not in this case as I had a second saw to use and had no intention of buying another. I am 100% certain I did not type anything n the phone related to that.

That is why it kinda freaked me out....I told my wife the phone is reading my mind. When my son in law said the microphone is on and picking up keywords it made some sense
peelout
6/19/2018 8:31am
any of you guys have Alexa at home?

we have one in the kitchen and one in the living room. every now and then that bitch will speak up and start giving information about the shit we're talking about, even when we don't ask her to or command her.
borg
6/19/2018 9:31am
peelout wrote:
any of you guys have Alexa at home? we have one in the kitchen and one in the living room. every now and then that bitch...

we have one in the kitchen and one in the living room. every now and then that bitch will speak up and start giving information about the shit we're talking about, even when we don't ask her to or command her.
The last woman's voice I had in my house did the same goddam thing. It comes with the plumbing.
FiendzCC
6/19/2018 9:37am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2018 9:41am
peelout wrote:
any of you guys have Alexa at home? we have one in the kitchen and one in the living room. every now and then that bitch...

Stories like that popping up a lot. You ever hear those stories going around where Alexa was just straight up disobeying commands and giving users the definition of the word please as a response? Also the creepy laugh thing that was going around for a while. One guy was given directions to the nearest cemetery by his Alexa after he asked why it was acting so creepy. Obviously Amazon will go and fix the glitches and everyone will act like it's fine, but it really makes you wonder about just what we're exposing to these things, and how many of these devices we have that do things along similar lines. Layers upon layers of privacy intrusion haha
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/19/2018 11:32am
peelout wrote:

We have her, but I changed her name to Cunswaylo. She does the same thing with us. It doesn’t really bother me too much as I know all of our info is pretty much out there anymore and there’s not much we can do about it. From the other link to the forum from 2017 it sounds like this voice spying has been going on for quite sometime

What bothers me more is that if you google search a persons name you pretty much get their address laid out there right in front of you.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/19/2018 1:34pm
A short depiction of everyone in this thread
B DUB 333
6/19/2018 2:25pm
(shouting) coke and a whore. Let's see....
B DUB 333
6/19/2018 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2018 2:28pm
My wife just came in. Said her phone sent her a message. They're listening.....
MotoMo165
6/19/2018 2:51pm
Lmao

I’ve only really noticed this with internet searches and Facebook( deleted FB, and turned off my internet ad based off searches and location based ads)
MotoMo165
6/19/2018 3:02pm
Your phone also tracks everywhere you’ve been, amount of time you spent there, and mount of times you’ve visited this location. Not sure if iPhones are the only ones that do this, but they now let you access this info.significant locations. Settings>privacy>Location services>System services(very bottom of page)>significant locations(bottom of page)

I turned mine off but it probably still tracks it

Post a reply to: Phones listening to us?

The Latest