Person of the Year for 2009?

Spinner
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 3:02pm
I must've missed it. A lot of magazines and media outlets usually have a Person of the Year every year, but I didn't really see one for 2009.

I'd say it's gotta be this guy -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesley_Sullenberger

|
Rupert X
1/6/2010 4:15pm
Spinner wrote:
I must've missed it. A lot of magazines and media outlets usually have a Person of the Year every year, but I didn't really see one...
I must've missed it. A lot of magazines and media outlets usually have a Person of the Year every year, but I didn't really see one for 2009.

I'm a fan of that gentleman, too.

The Shop

J.F.S
1/6/2010 4:26pm
Spinner wrote:
I must've missed it. A lot of magazines and media outlets usually have a Person of the Year every year, but I didn't really see one...

Not a bad choice!
borg
1/6/2010 4:54pm
Sullenberger was the rose Parade Grand Marshall. Which carries 100 times more prestige than Time magazine's opinion of anything.
roosty
1/6/2010 4:56pm
Void Main wrote:
I wooda picked BobbyM.
I thought for sure your pick would be Adam Lambert.
indy_maico
1/7/2010 6:47am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:50pm
My pick is the guy on the left

flarider
1/7/2010 7:18am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:50pm
Spinner, I disagree

He was saving his ass as much as anyone else's. Firefighters do more heroic things on a daily basis, like running into burning buildings to not only save people, but to save their pets. Firefighters do these things daily. Sullenberger allowed his training to take over and did his job, a job that thousands are trained to do, and on a certain level, he got lucky. Had a boat been there or winds different, things would've been a lot different. Not saying the man isn't a hero and didn't do a great job, but he is not person of the year.

IMO, it comes down to two people

Sarah Palin and Barack Obama

and neither for the reasons you think

Both gave a sense of legitimacy and empowerment to two groups typically overlooked and even disregarded, women and African-Americans. Also keep in mind, not too many generations ago, neither were allowed to even vote in America.

Forget their political positions or party affiliations for a moment (if you're able).

Sarah Palin elevated women to a higher level in the political system, even more than Geraldine Ferraro did when she was a VP candidate, but many women were drawn to her and felt they could identify with her. Sarah Palin got closer to that glass ceiling than any other woman has, even closer than Hillary Clinton. Sarah Palin gave voice to women and showed that they have legitimacy, power and be taken as serious candidates.

Barack Obama did the same for African-Americans and other minorities. For decades children are taught "One day you could grow up to be president." Reality is, few minority children believed that, and for the most part, neither did America as a whole. If you had asked people 2-4-6 years ago, "Could an African-American be elected President?" A majority (large majority, I believe) would say "no"

Both Palin and Obama gave hope and a belief that it really is true that anyone, boy, girl, Black, White and even Hispanic can ascend to the highest levels in our Government.

Again, forget party and policy...look at the bigger picture and the message both has been able to send to young females and minority children
zjbell
1/7/2010 11:57am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:50pm
Sully is a pretty cool guy and It's awesome to see all the support he's received (pilots are normally dogged out...) and he's working hard to restore the profession.

Now, as in 2010 there are thousands who could and would do the same had they have the chance. What's going to happen in 20 years when all the 250 hour wonders and bare bones work rules become the norm? Expect an outcome more like the Buffalo crash over the Hudson ditching. The profession is being cheapened, at the expense of safety.

Sully might not be the 'person of the year' but he is the last of a dying breed.
JW381
1/7/2010 3:53pm
flarider wrote:
Spinner, I disagree He was saving his ass as much as anyone else's. Firefighters do more heroic things on a daily basis, like running into burning...
Spinner, I disagree

He was saving his ass as much as anyone else's. Firefighters do more heroic things on a daily basis, like running into burning buildings to not only save people, but to save their pets. Firefighters do these things daily. Sullenberger allowed his training to take over and did his job, a job that thousands are trained to do, and on a certain level, he got lucky. Had a boat been there or winds different, things would've been a lot different. Not saying the man isn't a hero and didn't do a great job, but he is not person of the year.

IMO, it comes down to two people

Sarah Palin and Barack Obama

and neither for the reasons you think

Both gave a sense of legitimacy and empowerment to two groups typically overlooked and even disregarded, women and African-Americans. Also keep in mind, not too many generations ago, neither were allowed to even vote in America.

Forget their political positions or party affiliations for a moment (if you're able).

Sarah Palin elevated women to a higher level in the political system, even more than Geraldine Ferraro did when she was a VP candidate, but many women were drawn to her and felt they could identify with her. Sarah Palin got closer to that glass ceiling than any other woman has, even closer than Hillary Clinton. Sarah Palin gave voice to women and showed that they have legitimacy, power and be taken as serious candidates.

Barack Obama did the same for African-Americans and other minorities. For decades children are taught "One day you could grow up to be president." Reality is, few minority children believed that, and for the most part, neither did America as a whole. If you had asked people 2-4-6 years ago, "Could an African-American be elected President?" A majority (large majority, I believe) would say "no"

Both Palin and Obama gave hope and a belief that it really is true that anyone, boy, girl, Black, White and even Hispanic can ascend to the highest levels in our Government.

Again, forget party and policy...look at the bigger picture and the message both has been able to send to young females and minority children
Finally, we agree. At least on the Obama and Palin thing.

As far as Sulley goes. You say he just did what thousands were trained to do, but I'd say his Fighter Pilot experience and training also must have kicked in as well. Anyone that fly's or drives, or is trained to do anything for that matter, may know the correct procedure when things go awry, but few can keep calm and instinctively react in such a daunting situation. Just my opinion...
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2758th
1/7/2010 4:37pm
indy_maico wrote:

yeah hes a class act.

Post a reply to: Person of the Year for 2009?

The Latest