Pearl Harbour

Barrett57
Edited Date/Time 9/6/2019 3:44pm
Anyone been? I've just finished reading Descent into Darkness, the memoirs of a Navy diver who helped raise a few of the ships like the West Virginia as well as remove the munitions on the Arizona.

Those guys were unreal, the job they did in those conditions. Working inside a sunken blown up battleships, zero visibility due to the fuel oil, running into bodies, the razor sharp mangled metal everywhere, tunneling underneath the sunken ships to check the hulls, the threat of explosions due to gas, with a few of them paying the ultimate price, its just unreal how brave and skilled they were.

So what's the Arizona memorial like? It's somewhere I've always wanted to go and will do in the future.
|
9/2/2019 12:29pm
I went to it. I always recommend it to everyone. Just remember to be respectful when you’re there. You watch a video about it before you boat over to the memorial. Hero’s for sure. When I was there (10ish years ago) you could still see oil floating to the top of the water.
Barrett57
9/2/2019 12:52pm
Yeah I would be respectful, I've been to a few of the battlefields in Europe.

Omaha beach was the best memory of a battlefield I've been to. I was sat on the sand with the sun shining down, concrete bunkers up on the cliff behind, and there was a French family building sand castles and having a picnic. All those boys that came from so far away and died on that very beach are the reason that that family was enjoying a peaceful day on the beach in freedom.

Yeah I've read about the oil, pretty amazing really after all this time. Do you have to book in advance?
9/2/2019 1:18pm
No. We didn’t book in advance. I was actually there for work and a couple coworkers decided to check it out. We were Glad we did.
APLMAN99
9/2/2019 1:59pm
Went to Pearl Harbor for the first time last spring. We went one day and did everything but the Arizona Memorial, because we gave up the last 2 spots of the day to a couple of Navy veterans who were behind us in line and were leaving the next morning. We ended up going back a second day so that we could see it all.

It's pretty somber, I think, but it's frustrating how the bulk of the tourists completely ignore the instructions that they give.

The hangars with the bullet holes still in them is pretty awe inspiring.

The USS Missouri was a VERY emotional experience as well. The curators did a great job of representing the combatants on both sides of the war as human beings rather than just the usual treatment of the "enemy" as faceless, nameless, evildoers. Definitely shows that wars are made by old guys far from the action, but they are fought by human beings who are more alike than they realize.

Definitely get the audio tour devices. They definitely help out.

The Shop

Sully
9/2/2019 4:27pm
Barrett57 wrote:
Anyone been? I've just finished reading Descent into Darkness, the memoirs of a Navy diver who helped raise a few of the ships like the West...
Anyone been? I've just finished reading Descent into Darkness, the memoirs of a Navy diver who helped raise a few of the ships like the West Virginia as well as remove the munitions on the Arizona.

Those guys were unreal, the job they did in those conditions. Working inside a sunken blown up battleships, zero visibility due to the fuel oil, running into bodies, the razor sharp mangled metal everywhere, tunneling underneath the sunken ships to check the hulls, the threat of explosions due to gas, with a few of them paying the ultimate price, its just unreal how brave and skilled they were.

So what's the Arizona memorial like? It's somewhere I've always wanted to go and will do in the future.
That's the only book I've ever read where I literally caught myself gasping during certain points. Truly hardcore individuals doing that job.

It's been 20 years since I've been to the Arizona Memorial, but I remember it was really somber. Seeing the names of everyone who died was surreal. I wish I could have seen the USS Missouri Museum, but it wasn't open yet (they had just towed it into place a few weeks before I got there).
BMSOBx2
9/2/2019 5:21pm
One of the most poignant scenes from my visit to the Arizona Memorial was the clusters of Japanese tourists respectfully placing funeral wreaths in the water. Very moving.
Barrett57
9/2/2019 11:48pm
Sully wrote:
That's the only book I've ever read where I literally caught myself gasping during certain points. Truly hardcore individuals doing that job. It's been 20 years...
That's the only book I've ever read where I literally caught myself gasping during certain points. Truly hardcore individuals doing that job.

It's been 20 years since I've been to the Arizona Memorial, but I remember it was really somber. Seeing the names of everyone who died was surreal. I wish I could have seen the USS Missouri Museum, but it wasn't open yet (they had just towed it into place a few weeks before I got there).
Yeah I genuinely couldn't believe some of the stuff that I was reading in that book, the tunnelling underneath to check the hulls was pretty incredible. Braver men than me.

I didn't realise that the Missouri was in Pearl Harbour until I made this thread, that's something I'd be interested to checkout. You guys do a good job of keeping your Naval history alive with the only remaining Dreadnought in the world like the Texas, the ww2 submarines and a few other battleships like the North Carolina. We only kept HMS Belfast and scrapped everything else.
MudPup545
9/5/2019 12:44pm
I was in the Navy from 1987 until 1990. Pearl Harbor is actually the port where I reported to my ship after boot camp. It was pretty incredible to see the mooring that my Granpa’s ship was at, the USS California BB-44. She was also sunk that day and she was able to be refurbished and served the Pacific fleet throughout WW2. And no, my grandpa wasn’t there, he was drafted later. Never had the opportunity to see the Arizona memorial up close but, it was my honor and privilege to man the rails and pay my respects to her and my shipmates that sacrificed their lives on that terrible December morning. I returned to Pearl Harbor a little more than a year later while on deployment. That time I was able to check out much more of the base itself. Many of the buildings there still have the bullet marks from the Japanese Zeros. Pretty cool to see and still to this day I’m kicking myself for not seeing the Arizona up close.
MudPup545
9/6/2019 3:37am
The first picture is from the end of the pier. It’s as close as I ever got to the Arizona. The other two are of the battleship Missouri and my ship, USS Kansas City with the carrier Nimitz behind her.

rhargrave431
9/6/2019 3:44pm
After seeing this thread, I bought the Audiobook. Holy shit those guys were brave. It's a job someone had to do that I had really never thought of before the book. Pretty intense.
Barrett57
9/11/2019 10:36am
It's a book we'll worth a listen/read. Not only were they ridiculously brave but very skilled to refloat those ships. Braver men than me that's for sure.

Post a reply to: Pearl Harbour

The Latest