Pat Tillman

Spinner
Edited Date/Time 1/14/2012 10:42am
Tomorrow, September 15th, a new book chronicling the life and unfortunate death (as well as the cover up) of Pat Tillman will hit book shelves. The writer, Jon Krakauer, has been working on this for a long while now.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780385522267.html
|
Dogger
9/14/2009 6:19pm
he was a true hero. Looked like a real life G.I. Joe too.
flarider
9/14/2009 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:10am
I thought it was interesting that Pat Tillman himself felt that if he was killed in action, his death would be politicized

He predicted that himself in notes and letters he wrote

Spinner
9/14/2009 6:28pm
flarider wrote:
I thought it was interesting that Pat Tillman himself felt that if he was killed in action, his death would be politicized He predicted that himself...
I thought it was interesting that Pat Tillman himself felt that if he was killed in action, his death would be politicized

He predicted that himself in notes and letters he wrote

Yep.
The book should be good.
flarider
9/14/2009 6:43pm
(CBS) Jon Krakauer's newest book reveals how the Bush administration turned the friendly fire death of Pat Tillman in Afghanistan into a propaganda victory. "Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman" follows the story of Tillman's life through his death at the hands of his platoon to the smoke and mirrors orchestrated by the Pentagon and White House, reports ABC News and the LA Times.

Krakauer includes passages from Tillman's diary that show a keen awareness of the propaganda that would follow his death. While on his first mission as an Army Ranger, Tillman was sent to rescue Pvt. Jessica Lynch, a soldier who had been captured by militants in Iraq. Lynch was falsely characterized by the Pentagon as a military hero who had gone down with guns blazing. She later testified that she had not fired a single bullet.

"This mission will be a P.O.W. rescue, a woman named Jessica Lynch," Tillman wrote. "As awful as I feel for the fear she must face, and admire the courage I'm sure she's showing, I do believe this to be a big Public Relations stunt. Do not mistake me, I wish everyone in trouble to be rescued, but sending this many folks for a single low ranking soldier screams of media blitz."

A year later, Tillman was the center of another public relations stunt when the Bush administration said he died fighting the Taliban, rewrote eyewitness testimony, awarded him a Silver Star, and broke its own law by announcing hisdeath within 24 hours of his family learning of it.

Tillman seemed to predict that the government would turn him into a false hero. Spc. Jade Lane, a friend of Tillman's, told Krakauer that during their first night as Army Rangers in Iraq, Tillman had told him he was worried that if anything happened to him, the government would create a media blitz around him.

"One night he said that he was afraid that if something happened to him, they would parade him through the streets," Lane said. "And those were his exact words: 'I don't want them to parade me through the streets.' It just burned into my brain, him saying that."

The Shop

BUTCH
9/14/2009 7:26pm
I think he was a good guy. That said he bought into the bullshit, hook line and sinker! It was his life and he did what he wanted, good for him. Sorry if this pisses anyone off,, but I think he was a fool to go over there!
crowe176
9/14/2009 7:29pm
Was he an officer, or did he enlist?
crowe176
9/14/2009 7:40pm
Wow, I'm kind of at a loss for what to say about the guy. Determined warrior is about all that comes to mind. Turned down riches, then most likely said fuck OCS all in order to get to the front line as fast as possible. If anyone deserves to have an Aircraft Carrier named after them, it's him..
fcr
9/14/2009 8:07pm
How many other Tillmans were there ? Why would he deserve a Carrier named after him? It is sad what his family went through, but war isn't Srgt Saunders leading the guys. I hate the fact guys are still dying and we have "rules of engagement" . I read this today - http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iraq-killing14-2009…
Makes me nuts that our soldiers are put through this shit . If you go to war you go to annihilate the other side.
09450f
9/14/2009 8:13pm
fcr wrote:
How many other Tillmans were there ? Why would he deserve a Carrier named after him? It is sad what his family went through, but war...
How many other Tillmans were there ? Why would he deserve a Carrier named after him? It is sad what his family went through, but war isn't Srgt Saunders leading the guys. I hate the fact guys are still dying and we have "rules of engagement" . I read this today - http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iraq-killing14-2009…
Makes me nuts that our soldiers are put through this shit . If you go to war you go to annihilate the other side.

If you go to war you go to annihilate the other side.

yes sir..thats why we are here
Big Lenny
9/14/2009 9:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:10am
Dogger wrote:
WTF does a real life GI Joe look like?...And WTF did he do that any other kid over there that died hasn't?..

crowe176
9/14/2009 10:10pm
Dogger wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
WTF does a real life GI Joe look like?...And WTF did he do that any other kid over there that died hasn't?..

Goride333
9/14/2009 11:25pm
The guy was a hero. Just because we say that he was a hero doesnt mean that we are saying that no other military men/women were/are hero's as well. Fucking hell...some of you just pick fights to be assholes. He had an easy life and gave it up for something hard that he believed in. He could have sat around with some bling and banged strippers all day but he chose to fight for his country because he believed in it. Fuck you if you cant understand that.
Big Lenny
9/14/2009 11:29pm
There's no excuse for being killed by your own men, Fuck you if you can't understand that...
Goride333
9/14/2009 11:30pm
Big Lenny wrote:
There's no excuse for being killed by your own men, Fuck you if you can't understand that...
Did I say I was glad he got killed by friendly fire?
Big Lenny
9/14/2009 11:31pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Goride333 wrote:
No, but what sets him apart from everyone else?, and WTF does a real GI Joe look like?..
Goride333
9/14/2009 11:36pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Goride333 wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
No, but what sets him apart from everyone else?, and WTF does a real GI Joe look like?..
What set him apart was that he had everything he had worked for. He was a success at the highest levels and from everything I read (and I could be wrong) he seemed like he was a pretty clean cut and nice guy. He gave it up to go to the front lines and fight for his country when there was no benefit to him other then to try and make the world a better/safer place. He gave it all up because he believed in what he was fighting for. That makes him special. As far as what a real GI Joe looks like, I didnt say that so I have no idea.
Big Lenny
9/14/2009 11:40pm
Goride333 wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
Goride333 wrote:
What set him apart was that he had everything he had worked for. He was a success at the highest levels and from everything I read...
What set him apart was that he had everything he had worked for. He was a success at the highest levels and from everything I read (and I could be wrong) he seemed like he was a pretty clean cut and nice guy. He gave it up to go to the front lines and fight for his country when there was no benefit to him other then to try and make the world a better/safer place. He gave it all up because he believed in what he was fighting for. That makes him special. As far as what a real GI Joe looks like, I didnt say that so I have no idea.
How many other kids over there have done that? read Dave's post how they blown shit ut of proportion like Jessica Lynch's story...
BUTCH
9/14/2009 11:41pm
Goride333 wrote:
The guy was a hero. [b]Just because we say that he was a hero doesnt mean that we are saying that no other military men/women were/are...
The guy was a hero. Just because we say that he was a hero doesnt mean that we are saying that no other military men/women were/are hero's as well. Fucking hell...some of you just pick fights to be assholes. He had an easy life and gave it up for something hard that he believed in. He could have sat around with some bling and banged strippers all day but he chose to fight for his country because he believed in it. Fuck you if you cant understand that.
The really sad part though, is that he believed in and got caught up in pure bullshit! I do respect him for doing something he believed in but at the same time I think he was naive.
Nerd
9/14/2009 11:42pm
Goride333 wrote:
The guy was a hero. [b]Just because we say that he was a hero doesnt mean that we are saying that no other military men/women were/are...
"Hero" is used way too much. It takes more than joining the military, becoming a policeman or fireman, or something like that to be a hero. And it takes more than dying in those jobs to be a hero.

I agree that Tillman is an inspiration, and that he did what he thought was right, not what was the easy thing, and that's to be admired.

But a hero is someone who saves someone else's life/limb at a potential cost of their own. Pulling a child out of a burning building is heroism. Getting shot down over Vietnam and getting stuck in prison (like John McCain) is not heroism. It's just bad luck.

The more you use the word, the less it means anything.
Goride333
9/14/2009 11:43pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Goride333 wrote:
What set him apart was that he had everything he had worked for. He was a success at the highest levels and from everything I read...
Big Lenny wrote:
How many other kids over there have done that? read Dave's post how they blown shit ut of proportion like Jessica Lynch's story...
They are all hero's as well. Nobody ever said that he was the only one. There are so many amazing people that we never hear about. I dont call Pat a hero to discredit any of them.
Big Lenny
9/14/2009 11:45pm
Goride333 wrote:
BUTCH wrote:
The really sad part though, is that he believed in and got caught up in pure bullshit! I do respect him for doing something he believed...
The really sad part though, is that he believed in and got caught up in pure bullshit! I do respect him for doing something he believed in but at the same time I think he was naive.
Thank you Butch, I could see if he threw himself on a grenade, or charged a hill by himself, but there's a lot of kids that had less, and have done more IMO...
Goride333
9/14/2009 11:46pm
Goride333 wrote:
BUTCH wrote:
The really sad part though, is that he believed in and got caught up in pure bullshit! I do respect him for doing something he believed...
I think he was naive

That may be true, but all of us have been guilty of that in our lives.
Goride333
9/14/2009 11:47pm
Goride333 wrote:
Nerd wrote:
"Hero" is used way too much. It takes more than joining the military, becoming a policeman or fireman, or something like that to be a hero...
"Hero" is used way too much. It takes more than joining the military, becoming a policeman or fireman, or something like that to be a hero. And it takes more than dying in those jobs to be a hero.

I agree that Tillman is an inspiration, and that he did what he thought was right, not what was the easy thing, and that's to be admired.

But a hero is someone who saves someone else's life/limb at a potential cost of their own. Pulling a child out of a burning building is heroism. Getting shot down over Vietnam and getting stuck in prison (like John McCain) is not heroism. It's just bad luck.

So who is a modern day hero to you?
Big Lenny
9/14/2009 11:49pm
Goride333 wrote:
Nerd wrote:
"Hero" is used way too much. It takes more than joining the military, becoming a policeman or fireman, or something like that to be a hero...

Well said Nerd, I caught a lot of shit when I said McCain wasn't a hero, sure they whipped his ass, but he had that comin'..
Goride333
9/14/2009 11:53pm
Goride333 wrote:
So who is a modern day hero to you?
Big Lenny wrote:
My Grandson...
That's great. And that doesnt take away from anyone else being a hero. My hero is my Dad. I dont see why it offends anyone to consider someone a hero.
Big Lenny
9/15/2009 12:01am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2009 12:02am
It doesn't or shouldn't offend anyone, do you think Jessica Lynch was a hero despite what the reports claim that she went out guns blazin', or the fact she never fired her weapon...That's what bugs me...
Goride333
9/15/2009 12:06am
Big Lenny wrote:
It doesn't or shouldn't offend anyone, do you think Jessica Lynch was a hero despite what the reports claim that she went out guns blazin', or...
It doesn't or shouldn't offend anyone, do you think Jessica Lynch was a hero despite what the reports claim that she went out guns blazin', or the fact she never fired her weapon...That's what bugs me...
I'll be honest I dont really remember the details of her situation.

Post a reply to: Pat Tillman

The Latest