Painting — help (update)

Related:
Create New Tag

10/7/2020 4:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2020 4:14 PM

Long story short, hideous dark green paint. Took me a day to prep this room. A million teenage girl tac holes, terrible border to strip off.

2 coats later with this primer and still looks like shit. Any recommendations on primer that will cover up dark ?

Last year I did my other daughters room and some primer that was grey covered it up 1 coat. Think I shouldn’t of trusted the sales kid at Sherwin-Williams yesterday. “Yea this will cover it up. With 1 gallon”. Well I’m into my second and about to do a 3rd coat.....

Any recommendations from painters ?

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

I’ve got emerald for the actual paint.

Using 3/8 NAP and 3 inch brush to cut in. Any better recommendations ? I’ll do one more coat but I’m not buying another gallon of this stuff. Should I do a 3rd coat or just cut the loss remainder of the gallon and buy another primer ?

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/7/2020 4:48 PM

What colour is the final coat going to be? 2 coats of quality paint will cover what’s left of the green. As for pin holes etc, less is better when you are covering them, less to sand smooth and always prime where you mud/sand.

|

10/7/2020 4:58 PM

Try pigmented shellac.

|

10/7/2020 5:04 PM

Put some Kilz primer on that crap.

|

10/7/2020 5:09 PM

I never earned a penny painting anything but what you have there is drywall primer. Meant to put on unpainted sheetrock. You need a good paint/primer. Kilz brand will do the trick.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/7/2020 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2020 5:25 PM

They should have given you regular primer at Sherwin Williams. Like ployboy said above, what you got is for bare drywall. Kilz should work too.

Edit: Their website does say that "drywall primer" is for existing painted surfaces too. Are you doing flat finish paint?

|

10/7/2020 5:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2020 5:28 PM

I was thinking that, trustee the idiot that sold it to Me. Showed him pictures for what I was trying to cover up. Welp, shame on me.

I’m gonna put one more coat on, if it doesn’t get close I’ll have to hit it with kilz.

Last year same pint store sold me something that covered this shit up in one coat. I should probably read instead of being in a hurry. Rushing to get things done this week because the army is sending me somewhere again oct 12. Wife is due in a little over a month. another baby girl. Woohoo.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/7/2020 6:36 PM

Another vote for kilz . Also don't skimp on roller covers when you're painting ,you'll lose little pieces of the roller cover and they stick in the paint like little hairs.

|

10/7/2020 7:18 PM

3 coats. Vomit.

Photo

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/7/2020 7:32 PM

I’m a painting contractor, in all honesty with that, just some cheap flat paint would’ve worked, as a primer, you don’t necessarily need to cover up the green just knock it down so you don’t get it as an undertone, promar400 or masterhide would work. He definitely sold you the wrong primer that stuffs for new construction, and he talked you into the emerald. Next time go with super paint or cashmere.

|

10/7/2020 7:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2020 7:44 PM

Wife picked some light color. One green accent wall. Rest will be light. Whatever she wants. That light color is gonna look like shit over what I got now.

So Luke should I just get a gallon of masterhide Super white then? Throw a coat on then Paint? Or what would you do ?

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/7/2020 7:41 PM

For future reference you don’t need primer for things like that. Two coats of good quality paint usually cover it up. I’d also recommend using a 3/4 nap instead of the 3/8. The 3/4 will hold more paint and overall go on a lot smoother.

|

10/7/2020 7:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2020 7:46 PM

Good to know. I was Just worried with how light of a color my wife picked so I primed. Completely wrong lol.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/7/2020 7:50 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Wife picked some light color. One green accent wall. Rest will be light. Whatever she wants. That light color is gonna look like shit over what I got now.

So Luke should I just get a gallon of masterhide Super white then? Throw a coat on then Paint? Or what would you do ?

What you got is fine, I’d get into what ever you’re using as your top coat. I’d prob pick a 1/2” nap roller. 2 coats should be good

|

10/7/2020 7:53 PM

Alright I’ll start into the emerald In the morning with a 1/2 nap. Second coat tomorrow afternoon and see what happens.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/8/2020 8:14 AM

Went back to the store guy gave me this for free to Try and make it right ? Do I slap a coat Of this on ?

Photo

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/8/2020 9:16 AM

Good luck with the painting Georgie - surprising Sherwin Williams steered you wrong - I’ve always had good luck with them.

|

10/8/2020 9:20 AM

Johnny Lock wrote:

Good luck with the painting Georgie - surprising Sherwin Williams steered you wrong - I’ve always had good luck with them.

They made it right though. They always do me right as well. It’s understandable. I’ve always used Sherwin-Williams paint in my last house and my new one. Stuff always covers well and lasts long. In comparison Valspar..never had good luck with.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/8/2020 2:01 PM

Well this is a lot better. Covered now. Photo

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/8/2020 4:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2020 4:42 PM

Looks good!! I painted 5 rooms in my house when the Covid shut downs started, made me appreciate my painter more than I already did.

|

10/8/2020 4:52 PM

woodsrider427 wrote:

Looks good!! I painted 5 rooms in my house when the Covid shut downs started, made me appreciate my painter more than I already did.

Same... painting is the absolute worst!

|

10/8/2020 5:01 PM

It’s always my wife’s idea. Somehow I’m always painting tho....

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/8/2020 5:50 PM

Whenever my wife wants a room painted, I always point out something wrong with the trim, and negotiate that I will replace the trim if she paints. Then I brad nail about 3 days worth of holes for her to spackle and sand. Usually works and holds her off a bit longer for the next project.`

|

10/8/2020 6:22 PM

Lmfao. I’m gonna do that. Pin holes are maddening.

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/8/2020 6:35 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

From what I hear, that's how things work as soon as you say "I do". grin

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/8/2020 9:10 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

I love it when my wife says " I was just thinking that we could (fill in the blank)". You mean me right?

|

10/9/2020 3:59 AM

I absolutely despise painting. Any anything painting related.

And what's up with coming home to find the furniture all rearranged? Or half done & you have to finish it. Like twice a year. Shit was just fine where it was.

whistling

|

HAF

10/9/2020 5:16 AM

Not sure if Zinsser is available in the US but I use Zinsser BIN or Zinsser Bulls Eye all the time. It's the only show in town as far as I'm concerned.

It ain't cheap but Zinsser BIN sticks to anything, covers anything and dries in minutes. It actually fills small holes too and it's also available in a spray can.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

10/9/2020 5:26 AM

Edge-Of-Adhesion wrote:

Not sure if Zinsser is available in the US but I use Zinsser BIN or Zinsser Bulls Eye all the time. It's the only show in town as far as I'm concerned.

It ain't cheap but Zinsser BIN sticks to anything, covers anything and dries in minutes. It actually fills small holes too and it's also available in a spray can.

Photo

Photo

Photo

It is. I run a large (independant) hardware retailer here in Georgia and we sell both Kilz and Zinsser primers. I've only used the Kilz, but we sell a lot of the 123 as well as the BIN. It seems to have a more loyal following from the pro guys.

|

10/9/2020 6:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2020 9:42 AM

ns503 wrote:

I absolutely despise painting. Any anything painting related.

And what's up with coming home to find the furniture all rearranged? Or half done & you have to finish it. Like twice a year. Shit was just fine where it was.

whistling

I don't know how many times I've tripped over a damn coffee table or chair that's been moved when I'm half
asleep getting ready for work in the morning. Fuck, I even broke a toe once. The smoke detector was going off. I ran through the house only to trip over a chair and cartwheel across the basement.

|