Paging Scottie.....

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 4:44pm
We've talked about this before , and I thought you may enjoy watching this. The guy driving ( Jimmy Broadbent ) has been doing sim racing and reviews for quite a while , and is fun to watch. Also , there are a few options here for you for the controls. ( quite a few actually! ) You could use a two paddle setup , with gas and brake and run an auto transmission. OR....you could use the 4 paddle setup , Gas , brake , and up and down shift ( would be my pick ). But on top of these wheels.......you have to realize that 95% of the controls are in your hands! Especially with button boxes included. The only thing ( two things actually ) that you need to adapt to , is throttle and brake. Everything else....you will do what everyone else does , and that's using top side controls.

I hope you find this videos helpful , and some day decide to try this out. I honestly think you would get addicted , like we used to back in the MCM2 days. Except.....this is literally 1000 X better!

Another inspirational video of this kickass little dude Billy.

On top of all this , you actually have an advantage on NOT having to buy pedals! Christ , my pedal setup was over a $1000.00 , which cost more than my wheel base and wheel. I do have 2 wheels ( 3rd one coming ) but the money you could save towards a kick ass wheel setup......could be pretty bad ass.

|
jeffro503
11/29/2018 12:26pm
Oh shit.....I forgot to add this. At the Fanatec site there are many different wheel and paddle configurations you can get. But this new " 6 paddle " setup you can put on quite a few different rims......freakin' sweet! They haven't been released just yet , but are coming.

This here is one of the limited edition F1 rims I got. Should be here around mid January some time. TONS of functions on this wheel , but not near as cool as some of the higher end rims out there.

ocscottie
11/29/2018 1:53pm
That some badass stuff JeffBro. Ill email you sometime today, if i dont fall flat on my face........day drinking is a mofo! Dizzy
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/29/2018 3:14pm
Slightly different spin on this, but I was talking with Irish Saunders about Eric's experience with hand controls in the sprint car, and he actually won a track championship this year in it. One of the biggest changes he'd made from previous years was the speed of the steering, which helped him out quite a bit.

The Shop

jeffro503
12/1/2018 1:55pm
ocscottie wrote:
Jeff, did you see this one? Kid is a HERO!

https://youtu.be/2W_hTOWMl84
Yeah Scottie , that kid is definitely one hell of a human being. I found out about him a few month's ago when I was doing some reading / research on Alex Zanardi.

And hey.....just to let you know , it doesn't need to be an expensive journey for you here. I'm pretty sure your computer is updated pretty nicely , but even if it isn't , you don't need a super powerful computer to run most of these sims. In fact , I would say ( as most what the entire racing SIM community says as well )......some of the best racing sims out there , are the ones that don't look super pretty , but feel like shit! Take Project Cars 1&2 , Forza , F1 titles.......which are considered arcade games. Grab yourself the Simbin package from steam , and enjoy GTR2 , Race 07 ect , shit tons of mods , still look great.....but are " real sims! " The two I personally would suggest for the newer sims , Automobilista ( my favorite! ) , RF2 and Assetto Corsa , along with RaceRoom Experience. Iracing is very , very good , but gets expensive as hell.

If you can figure out a wheel setup that will work like in that video I posted , I'm telling you , you will be hooked. It is an awesome winter hobby , and I'm so glad I really discovered it about 5 - 6 years ago. I would rather play on my racing sims , instead of laying there watching TV , any night of the week.

And again , if I can help in anyway , please just ask. Also....get your ass on over to racedepartment.com and sign up! Every sim ever created is talked about on there , and basically all the info you'll ever need is there. Most all those guy's are awesome and love to help. I'm a complete noob to most of the guy's on there , and they have helped me more times than I can count.
jeffro503
12/1/2018 1:58pm
GuyB wrote:
Slightly different spin on this, but I was talking with Irish Saunders about Eric's experience with hand controls in the sprint car, and he actually won...
Slightly different spin on this, but I was talking with Irish Saunders about Eric's experience with hand controls in the sprint car, and he actually won a track championship this year in it. One of the biggest changes he'd made from previous years was the speed of the steering, which helped him out quite a bit.
Steve.....I had never heard of this kid until now. Thanks for this! Doing some reading on him now , and what an amazing dude that guy is. It takes a special type of person to be able to go through something like these guy's have , and then still find the desire to compete. I can't possibly respect a racer any more than what I do toward's the guy's we've mentioned. Some real inspiring stories.
jeffro503
12/1/2018 2:11pm
Btw......even though I had played some racing sims going all the way back to 2002 / 2003 Nascar stuff , I think this video by Emptybox ( which posts a lot on RD as well )....is responsible for me wanting to learn this stuff. Once I saw this video , I was saying " I gotta have that....and I want to race that! "

Edit : Game Stockcar extreme , is now called Automobilista. And it's far more incredible then what this video shows. The guys at Reiza Studio's who created it , listen to us and are by far the best game developer's I have ever come across. They also post a lot on the RD forum's.

FOSSILMOTO
12/4/2018 7:16am
jeffro503 wrote:
Btw......even though I had played some racing sims going all the way back to 2002 / 2003 Nascar stuff , I think this video by Emptybox...
Btw......even though I had played some racing sims going all the way back to 2002 / 2003 Nascar stuff , I think this video by Emptybox ( which posts a lot on RD as well )....is responsible for me wanting to learn this stuff. Once I saw this video , I was saying " I gotta have that....and I want to race that! "

Edit : Game Stockcar extreme , is now called Automobilista. And it's far more incredible then what this video shows. The guys at Reiza Studio's who created it , listen to us and are by far the best game developer's I have ever come across. They also post a lot on the RD forum's.

+1 Lots of mods. 1990 F1 Mod is awesome.
jeffro503
12/15/2018 1:51pm
FOSSILMOTO wrote:
+1 Lots of mods. 1990 F1 Mod is awesome.
I hear ya! Another super popular one is the Cart Extreme mod , which is incredible. And then just last week , a guy released his mod that he made about 10 years ago for Rfactor 1 , and made it for AMS. It's the HSO 1971 F1 mod.....and it's simply incredible! Myself and other's didn't like the way he had coded the shifting rates ( they were way to slow ) so I had to edit like 80 freakin' cars in the HDV files......and now it is really , really good!

@Scottie......anything in these vid's maybe spark your interest a bit? I brought this up for you , because I knew how good you were back in the day with MCM2 , and since I know you have a passion for the 4 wheel stuff as well.....I figured it might be something you may really enjoy. For me , this time a year , I don't do much riding and I need something I can do indoors , and this sim driving really help's fill that void. So damn fun!
jeffro503
12/15/2018 2:14pm
ocscottie wrote:
Hey Jeff, check out this setup in F1 driver Lando Norriss' crib. pretty fucking sweet! Next year will be his rookie season in F1

https://youtu.be/-jBK1TOYBfA
Btw Scottie.....yeah , there is some money wrapped up into those rigs. Very nice indeed. In some of these sims , you would be surprised how many real professional driver's jump in on week night racing. Quite a few F1 , V8 supercar's , GT3 guy's , Nascar , ect jump in the rooms quite often. I know Tony Stewart and Dale Jr and the younger Vanthoor guy from GT3 and DTM were in there quite a bit too. Same with Max Verstappen , about 4 other V8 supercar driver's.
jeffro503
12/17/2018 9:29pm
Hey Scottie.....thought you may enjoy this. but Jimmy Broadbent raced up against the real life Max Verstappen and Lando Noris last night. Like I was saying , especially the off season , many real pro driver's jump into the mix , which is pretty badass!

ocscottie
12/18/2018 3:21pm
That was awesome Jeff! i watched the whole thing, did you ever watch any of the E Racing League on ESPN? It was freakin intense. Wish i had the time / patience to get into it, i could never do the full hardcore 8 hours a day like back in the MCM2 days, and thats what it takes to be really good.

I do have the game F1 2017 on my PC, just the pirated version so i cant go online or anything, every couple weeks i take it for a spin. I also d'loaded Dirt 4 which is pretty cool.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
12/18/2018 4:44pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Steve.....I had never heard of this kid until now. Thanks for this! Doing some reading on him now , and what an amazing dude that guy...
Steve.....I had never heard of this kid until now. Thanks for this! Doing some reading on him now , and what an amazing dude that guy is. It takes a special type of person to be able to go through something like these guy's have , and then still find the desire to compete. I can't possibly respect a racer any more than what I do toward's the guy's we've mentioned. Some real inspiring stories.
I know who this young man is... LH44 had him at a F1 event as his guest or something and they did a piece on him. Was pretty interesting.
jeffro503
12/18/2018 6:44pm
ocscottie wrote:
That was awesome Jeff! i watched the whole thing, did you ever watch any of the E Racing League on ESPN? It was freakin intense. Wish...
That was awesome Jeff! i watched the whole thing, did you ever watch any of the E Racing League on ESPN? It was freakin intense. Wish i had the time / patience to get into it, i could never do the full hardcore 8 hours a day like back in the MCM2 days, and thats what it takes to be really good.

I do have the game F1 2017 on my PC, just the pirated version so i cant go online or anything, every couple weeks i take it for a spin. I also d'loaded Dirt 4 which is pretty cool.
I hear ya Scottie. I myself can't do the super long nights , race until the sun comes up like we did back in the MCM2 days. But gawd.....it was glorious though wasn't it? Haha.

On a serious note though.....you are one of the guy's who I alway's thought would be good at this sim racing stuff , and really give it a shot some day. You have the mentality for it , and even though it might not happen right off the bat....you have forever to give it a shot. Even though I have been into it for a while , most all my racing I do is offline , against the Ai. I get set in a certain mood , to drive certain car's , on certain tracks , and they are hard to find that kind of combination online. It's a stress relief for me , but also educational in a lot of ways. I have learned a lot on car set up's , but am still really stupid on a lot of it. But gawd dang man........I'll tell you what , if you are in a great car / track combination , 30 - 60 min race , with FFB turned up , the Ai is set to your " about " pace......it's fucking insane how much you concentrate on that race!

What I have found really entertaining , is adjusting my car set up's , and shooting for being able to knock that 1/10th of a second off my fastest lap time. It just makes it so much more appealing to me , when I have to work for it , and learn thing's.

The sim racing isn't for everyone for sure , but it's definitely a passion of mine , where I have found a way to burn off some steam on cold winter night's. There is about 8 month's out of the year where I barely touch them , due to work and riding on my spare time. During the winter , I ain't riding much , and work slows down.....so I needed something! I wish I would have found the sim racing world years ago. And you know Scottie.....if you ever want to really get into it , I will alway's help as much as I can.

Post a reply to: Paging Scottie.....

The Latest