PS4 & PS5 Game Recommendations

mx617
10/10/2018 11:44am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2022 8:16am
We have our first child on the way and I'm taking some time off work to be home. I'm sure there's going to be some time to kill, so I'm looking for some ideas on games. Not really interested in the latest and greatest, more some older classics I can get from the sale rack at Walmart for $25.

I am playing Diablo 3 right now which I really like, and got 1/3 through Fallout 4 which was kind of boring. I like games with a good storyline, couldn't care less about online play.

Also love racing games, again if they have a good storyline (part of the reason MXGP 3 was disappointing).

Let me know what you guys think I should go after!

Thanks
|
Idaho747
10/10/2018 11:55am
Try the borderlands franchise
peelout
10/10/2018 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2018 12:42pm
PS4...

Last of Us if you haven't already. amazing story, probably one of the best stories in any game i've ever played. the second part is coming out soon.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming in 16 days

Mad Max is fun as hell, so much to do. story is kinda meh but the gameplay is great

GTA5 is a must

Borderlands is great, BL1 was sick, BL2 was just OK, Handsome Jack is awesome

there is a spin-off game called Tales From The Borderlands, highly recommend them, 100% story driven

Spiderman PS4 is supposed to be awesome

Detroit Almost Human has a great story

Witcher 3 is badass

Tomb Raider is bitchin too, i haven't played the newest one yet
mx617
10/10/2018 1:23pm
Awesome thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I recognize a couple of the names on there, will try and track them down.

The Shop

TXDirt
10/10/2018 6:13pm
peelout wrote:
PS4... Last of Us if you haven't already. amazing story, probably one of the best stories in any game i've ever played. the second part is...
PS4...

Last of Us if you haven't already. amazing story, probably one of the best stories in any game i've ever played. the second part is coming out soon.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming in 16 days

Mad Max is fun as hell, so much to do. story is kinda meh but the gameplay is great

GTA5 is a must

Borderlands is great, BL1 was sick, BL2 was just OK, Handsome Jack is awesome

there is a spin-off game called Tales From The Borderlands, highly recommend them, 100% story driven

Spiderman PS4 is supposed to be awesome

Detroit Almost Human has a great story

Witcher 3 is badass

Tomb Raider is bitchin too, i haven't played the newest one yet
Detroit Almost Human

Heard that game was awesome. I'm an xbox only gamer but considered getting a PS just for that game.

Thoughts?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
10/10/2018 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2018 12:31am
Should hold you up for a while.

Older Games

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Battlefield 4
Dirt 4
F1 2017
Far Cry 4
Grand Theft Auto V - Rockstar Game.
Gran Turismo Sport
Heavy Rain - PlayStation exclusive. Digital download. Was originally released on PS3. Great story. Story is affected and plays out differently depending on the answers you choose.
L.A. Noire - Great story. Slow paced game. Detective work. Rockstar game.
The Last of Us Remastered - PlayStation exclusive. Might be a digital download only since it was originally released on PS3.
Project CARS
Project CARS 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - PlayStation exlusive. Collection of remastered games that were released on PS3. Games are: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. Might be digital download only.
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - PlayStation exclusive.
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - PlayStation exclusive. Standalone expansion to Uncharted 4.
Watch Dogs
Watch Dogs 2

Newer Games

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Released on October 5th
Battlefield V - Being released on November 20th.
Detroit: Become Human - Released on May 25th. Great story. Story is affected and plays out differently depending on the answers you choose. Same developer as Heavy Rain.
Far Cry 5 - Released on March 27th.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Being released on October 26th. Started a thread on Vital a while back. Rockstar game.

Upcoming Games

Days Gone - PlayStation exclusive. Being released on February 22nd, 2019.
Insurgency: Sandstorm - Being released in 2019.
The Last of Us Part II - Most likely being released in 2019.
Skull & Bones - Most likely being released in 2019 possibly 2020.
10/11/2018 4:25am

"We have our first child on the way and I'm taking some time off work to be home. I'm sure there's going to be some time to kill"

Ahhahahahahahaha silly fool

Congrats on the baby you'll learn soon.

10/11/2018 7:28am
Oh man, looking at the above list there I didn't quite realise Read Dead Redemption 2 was so near around the corner...Blink Nephew "borrowed" my ps4 and I haven't the heart to take it back off him.
peelout
10/11/2018 8:14am
TXDirt wrote:
Detroit Almost Human

Heard that game was awesome. I'm an xbox only gamer but considered getting a PS just for that game.

Thoughts?
while the game is awesome, to buy a PS4 only for Detroit wouldn't be a wise choice. Detroit is about the story, not so much about the game-play. meaning the gameplay is very basic.

now if you were going to get Last Of Us, Detroit, Spiderman, God of War, and Last Of Us 2, then hell yeah do it. they've got some great exclusive titles.

only thing i wish PS did that Xbox does is backward compatibility on older games.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
10/11/2018 8:28am
TXDirt wrote:
Detroit Almost Human

Thoughts?
peelout wrote:
while the game is awesome, to buy a PS4 only for Detroit wouldn't be a wise choice. Detroit is about the story, not so much about...
while the game is awesome, to buy a PS4 only for Detroit wouldn't be a wise choice. Detroit is about the story, not so much about the game-play. meaning the gameplay is very basic.

now if you were going to get Last Of Us, Detroit, Spiderman, God of War, and Last Of Us 2, then hell yeah do it. they've got some great exclusive titles.

only thing i wish PS did that Xbox does is backward compatibility on older games.
PlayStation Now allows you to stream/play older games. I signed up for the free trial a while back and it works great.
mx617
10/11/2018 8:41am
@mav thanks for the list, that'll be a year or two to get through I'm sure lol. I only got my ps4 last boxing day which is why I'm catching up. Appreciate the detail/descriptions.
mx617
10/11/2018 8:42am
"We have our first child on the way and I'm taking some time off work to be home. I'm sure there's going to be some time...

"We have our first child on the way and I'm taking some time off work to be home. I'm sure there's going to be some time to kill"

Hahahaha I am surprised it took so long for someone to call that out. Maybe I'll rephrase and say there's going to be some sleepless nights to kill.
gabrielito
10/12/2018 6:50am
"We have our first child on the way and I'm taking some time off work to be home. I'm sure there's going to be some time...

He will have some time at 1:00 in the morning after changing the diapers.
murph783
10/12/2018 10:23am
Basically what mav said. Plus the original red dead redemption if you haven’t played it already.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
10/12/2018 11:06am
murph783 wrote:
Basically what mav said. Plus the original red dead redemption if you haven’t played it already.
Was going to include it but since the 2nd is so close to being released I didn't include it. RDR2 is basically a prequel.

OP, if you want to play Red Dead Redemption you can find it on the PlayStation store as a digital download. Totally worth buying in my opinion. The 2nd one builds on it so should be even more amazing.

Won't regret buying it. Great story.
MudPup545
10/13/2018 5:08am
War Thunder. WWII tank and aerial combat.
Falcon
Fantasy
843rd
10/13/2018 10:26am

mx617 wrote:
Hahahaha I am surprised it took so long for someone to call that out. Maybe I'll rephrase and say there's going to be some sleepless nights...
Hahahaha I am surprised it took so long for someone to call that out. Maybe I'll rephrase and say there's going to be some sleepless nights to kill.
The reason you won't be sleeping is because you'll be feeding a baby, not because you couldn't sleep. ? get some rest RIGHT NOW. You'll need it!
Congratulations and good luck.
FLmxer
Fantasy
1003rd
10/23/2018 6:50am
Just got antsy for a new game waiting on RDR2 and BF so I started Uncharted 4. Pretty cool game.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
10/23/2018 8:34am
FLmxer wrote:
Just got antsy for a new game waiting on RDR2 and BF so I started Uncharted 4. Pretty cool game.
That whole series is awesome. Sort of like the National Treasure movies on steroids lol.

RDR2 comes out Friday and I just received Assassin's Creed Odyssey last Friday. Have yet to play it so that's what I'll be doing today.
10/23/2018 9:12am
Is there any Dark Souls / Bloodborne fans here?

I think I might be the only one on this forum who loves those games, I can't remember seeing them mentioned before.
Sunhouse
10/23/2018 9:37am
Is there any Dark Souls / Bloodborne fans here? I think I might be the only one on this forum who loves those games, I can't...

I think I might be the only one on this forum who loves those games, I can't remember seeing them mentioned before.
I play Bloodborne. I suck and have only just managed to get a grip on the Blood Staved Beast. Was killed by vicar Amelia 100x first before I decided to go looking for something else to kill in the meantime. As much as I rage quit each time, I always want to go back for more. I never thought I would say it, but love the game. Have you seen the trailer for what seems to be the sequal?
peelout
10/23/2018 10:00am
FLmxer wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
That whole series is awesome. Sort of like the National Treasure movies on steroids lol. RDR2 comes out Friday and I just received Assassin's Creed Odyssey...
That whole series is awesome. Sort of like the National Treasure movies on steroids lol.

RDR2 comes out Friday and I just received Assassin's Creed Odyssey last Friday. Have yet to play it so that's what I'll be doing today.
you'll have to share your thoughts.

i absolutely loved Black Flag but couldn't get into any of the others after. i've heard Odyssey is even better than Black Flag so i've been wanting to play it, but i didn't want to start one before RDR2.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
10/23/2018 11:35am
FLmxer wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
That whole series is awesome. Sort of like the National Treasure movies on steroids lol. RDR2 comes out Friday and I just received Assassin's Creed Odyssey...

peelout wrote:
you'll have to share your thoughts. i absolutely loved Black Flag but couldn't get into any of the others after. i've heard Odyssey is even better...
you'll have to share your thoughts.

i absolutely loved Black Flag but couldn't get into any of the others after. i've heard Odyssey is even better than Black Flag so i've been wanting to play it, but i didn't want to start one before RDR2.
I still haven't played it yet but one of the reason I bought it is because you can choose to play as a man or a women. Then there's also the fact that this is the first one in the series where you have the option to select answers when you interact with people in the open world. I believe the story plays differently depending on your answers.

I think it's going to be really good. The reviews I've seen have it rated pretty high (8+, 10/10, etc.) I don't really care about the reviews but from my experience after playing games my thoughts are pretty much the same thing as them.

I know you liked Assassin's Creed Black Flag because of the naval warfare so when you have the chance look up Skull and Bones. The game comes out next year and naval warfare is a big part of it since the game has to do with pirates. From the little I've seen, it looks good. I'll definitely be getting that one when the time comes.
FLmxer
Fantasy
1003rd
10/23/2018 12:19pm
FLmxer wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

It really is, I told my wife the same thing. Very cool landscape and pirate treasure story.
10/23/2018 1:51pm
Is there any Dark Souls / Bloodborne fans here? I think I might be the only one on this forum who loves those games, I can't...

Sunhouse wrote:
I play Bloodborne. I suck and have only just managed to get a grip on the Blood Staved Beast. Was killed by vicar Amelia 100x first...
I play Bloodborne. I suck and have only just managed to get a grip on the Blood Staved Beast. Was killed by vicar Amelia 100x first before I decided to go looking for something else to kill in the meantime. As much as I rage quit each time, I always want to go back for more. I never thought I would say it, but love the game. Have you seen the trailer for what seems to be the sequal?
Yeah Iv'e had plenty of those rage moments too! Bloodborne is pretty harsh imo. The DS games are a lot slower and less aggressive than BB. Iv'e completed it before though and doing a 2nd run now, though I'll be putting it on hold for RDR2 if it arrives on time hopefully Woohoo . I actually find BB gets easier in some ways the further in you go - the early stages/bosses of BB are especially tough. Huge fan of all their games though. I love the level layouts especially, how everything interconnects in interesting ways.

The new game also looks interesting, new movement mechanics etc. I should imagine it'll be awesome - probably end up being a must-have for me. Also getting excited for the next Metro game!

netway20
10/23/2018 11:09pm
Soul Caliber 6 has been released this month. You might wanna give it a try.
Sunhouse
10/24/2018 11:16pm
Yeah Iv'e had plenty of those rage moments too! Bloodborne is pretty harsh imo. The DS games are a lot slower and less aggressive than BB...
Yeah Iv'e had plenty of those rage moments too! Bloodborne is pretty harsh imo. The DS games are a lot slower and less aggressive than BB. Iv'e completed it before though and doing a 2nd run now, though I'll be putting it on hold for RDR2 if it arrives on time hopefully Woohoo . I actually find BB gets easier in some ways the further in you go - the early stages/bosses of BB are especially tough. Huge fan of all their games though. I love the level layouts especially, how everything interconnects in interesting ways.

The new game also looks interesting, new movement mechanics etc. I should imagine it'll be awesome - probably end up being a must-have for me. Also getting excited for the next Metro game!

Have you completed BB? I think I may have leveled up wrong, not knowing how the system worked initially. Now I may be stuck grinding to level up, get firepaper etc. Also, Old Tarnham is a bitch. Laughing I don’t think I can go many other places now but to finish Vicar Amelia. And I can barely get her down to 50%....Blush
10/25/2018 4:40am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 4:48am
Sunhouse wrote:
Have you completed BB? I think I may have leveled up wrong, not knowing how the system worked initially. Now I may be stuck grinding to...
Have you completed BB? I think I may have leveled up wrong, not knowing how the system worked initially. Now I may be stuck grinding to level up, get firepaper etc. Also, Old Tarnham is a bitch. Laughing I don’t think I can go many other places now but to finish Vicar Amelia. And I can barely get her down to 50%....Blush
Yeah, doing a 2nd run now, and yes Old Yharnam is a bitch! Smile That guy with the Gatling gun... I don't think I've ever beaten him directly, only by tricking him into falling off the roof.

Have you found the hunter armour in Central Yharnam? Generally armour isn't as important in BB as the DS games, but it's still a good idea to have this early set: @ around 1.46 and onward https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYq3efQ0Qh4 I'm sure you do have this but I thought it worth mentioning just in case as it is possible to miss.

Another thing you probably know but may not - learn to parry with the pistol. The pistol isn't for dealing direct damage, only really for parrying. Some bosses can be parried (including the very first one) and this can save your skin. I know it's yet another resource (silver bullets) but it's very important to learn. Practice on the easier enemies in Central Yharnam.

I'm no expert on the game but just keep plugging away. Try and learn the attacks and, I think with Amelia, a good strategy is to try and get behind her. That's what I did I think, though not what he does here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv5-QI521zw These very skilled players always make it look easier than it is. Also, if you have some 'Numbing mist', that will stop her from healing.

In the early areas almost all my stat points went into health and strength. If you have to farm for health items then a good spot is the lantern back in Central Yharnam - the 2 giant troll guys (before the bridge with the huge rolling fire-ball) almost always drop 2 health vials each, as do the werewolfs if you feel like taking them on again. I know it's a pain but it's sort of part of the game unfortunately (in the DS games you only had to rest at a bonfire and all your health items were returned... I miss that system!).

Don't forget also to repair your weapon. Have you also searched the 2 areas to the right and left of the cathedral where Vicar Amelia is? The left hand side has its own path that leads through a cave and some woods, and eventually leads to another boss (a witch), that's where you go to get the rune workshop tool - allowing you to enhance your stats with runes etc. The right side has a Kidnapper (though the path to it is easy to miss), if this kills you it should transport you to yet another new area - so maybe worth letting it do so

Another option if you're looking to build up further is to go to one of the grave stones in the dream area and create a chalice dungeon. Personally I ignore the "root versions" as they're just the same dungeons but randomised. Do all the depth 1 and depth 2 dungeons that you can. You'll get lots of items, more bosses (easier ones) and be able to level up some more. These areas also have illusionary walls hiding further areas, so search carefully by hitting "suspicious" looking walls.

Game's definitely proving harder than I remember for myself too tbh... I just got done with Martyr Logarius and that took for-fu@king-ever!

Crush
10/25/2018 4:52am
Hanging out for Anthem to be released. Looks a bit like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, should be fun as fuck.
FLmxer
Fantasy
1003rd
10/25/2018 8:24am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 8:24am
Just finished Uncharted 4. Was a really cool game. Basically its Indiana Jones, tomb raider, National treasure, goonies with some Battlefield mixed in. Good times.

Post a reply to: PS4 & PS5 Game Recommendations

The Latest