PC Sim Racing

Mossy
Edited Date/Time 5/10/2022 8:22am
What’s up guys. Anyone on here get into sim racing? Obviously we have people on here that play MX sim and stuff, but I’m more talking about people with setups playing Project Cars, iRacing, F1 2019, Dirt Rally 2, Assetto Corsa, and any others I missed.

Haven’t really been able to do much besides ride dirt bikes and play video games lol so I decided it was a good time to try playing these racing games with an actual wheel rather than a controller and I’m really happy I did.

Got the Logitech G920, pretty good deal on an open box, and after playing a bit on my 24inch monitor I decided to buy a 32.5 inch curved 2k 165hz monitor Cool

Anyways if anyone here is into that kinda stuff, and has Steam, let me know. It’d be cool to have some Moto friends to race with every now and then.

Also just wanna say it’s hilarious letting someone race on the wheel that never has before. It’s a lot harder than I expected!
|
jeffro503
4/13/2020 4:12pm
I've played every ( road course sim ) available. The past 8 months has been pretty much Assetto Corsa + Content Manager. That combo right there , the possibilities are endless.

I do love AMS , RR3 and Rfactor 2 as well. Iracing is also great , but expensive. This is all PC gaming I'm talking about. Wheel and pedals will be needed to do it correctly.
jeffro503
4/13/2020 4:15pm
Edit : PCars 2 looks great.....but it ain't to good. My opinion , the FFB is terrible. BUT......you will see a lot of new mods pooping up for this sim , as a practice run / beta for the new AMS 2 title , since it runs the PCars 2 game engine.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
4/13/2020 8:25pm
been on Iracing for about 3 years now, really helps pass the lock down days,
motoman617
4/14/2020 12:08am
I’ve got two rigs setup for sim racing now. I have one dedicated rig for PC racing. Have an AccuForce Wheel base and 4 different wheel setups for it. I have it on a 80/20 rig and triple 27” Dell 1440p Gsync monitors. I am using HPP hydraulic pedals on it.

My second rig is used mainly for console gaming. It is a little cramped as it is in the spare bedroom along with my desk and regular gaming PC. On this 80/20 rig I have a Fanatec DD F1 wheelbase. It can be used on PC,PS4 or Xbox1. It is hooked up to a Samsung 43” 4k TV with a cheap sound bar I found on Amazon. Using some Fanatec Load cell pedals for this setup. I also use this setup for playing the moto games.

Since I quit riding these are my hobbies I spend my extra time on. 😄 like others said it sure is a good way to pass the day’s and forget all the other crap going on.

Here are a couple of pics.

The Shop

Motofinne
4/14/2020 12:57am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2020 3:35am
Do you prefer the Accuforce over the Fanatec DD base? I got into Sim racing recently and starting out slowly with a Thrustmaster T300.

My upgrade path is probably going to be Fanatec V3 load cell pedals and then a direct drive base! But racing MX takes way too much money so this will probably happen in a year or two!
Mossy
4/14/2020 3:52am
jeffro503 wrote:
I've played every ( road course sim ) available. The past 8 months has been pretty much Assetto Corsa + Content Manager. That combo right there...
I've played every ( road course sim ) available. The past 8 months has been pretty much Assetto Corsa + Content Manager. That combo right there , the possibilities are endless.

I do love AMS , RR3 and Rfactor 2 as well. Iracing is also great , but expensive. This is all PC gaming I'm talking about. Wheel and pedals will be needed to do it correctly.
Sweet! I have the Logitech G920. Been using Project Cars 1 to get used to the wheel and it has helped me a lot. I haven’t tried PC2 though. F1 2017 and 2018 are unforgiving! And I’ve always been a big Dirt Rally fan, played it a lot on Xbox with a controller back when it came out.

Using a wheel in Dirt Rally is a whole different story. I’m fighting it the whole time Laughing and man do I get sweaty playing that game...I was literally wearing gym shorts, under armour shirt, and was sweating with the A/C on playing Dirt Rally hahaha! Never have I had a game make me sweat like that.
Mossy
4/14/2020 3:54am
motoman617 wrote:
I’ve got two rigs setup for sim racing now. I have one dedicated rig for PC racing. Have an AccuForce Wheel base and 4 different wheel...
I’ve got two rigs setup for sim racing now. I have one dedicated rig for PC racing. Have an AccuForce Wheel base and 4 different wheel setups for it. I have it on a 80/20 rig and triple 27” Dell 1440p Gsync monitors. I am using HPP hydraulic pedals on it.

My second rig is used mainly for console gaming. It is a little cramped as it is in the spare bedroom along with my desk and regular gaming PC. On this 80/20 rig I have a Fanatec DD F1 wheelbase. It can be used on PC,PS4 or Xbox1. It is hooked up to a Samsung 43” 4k TV with a cheap sound bar I found on Amazon. Using some Fanatec Load cell pedals for this setup. I also use this setup for playing the moto games.

Since I quit riding these are my hobbies I spend my extra time on. 😄 like others said it sure is a good way to pass the day’s and forget all the other crap going on.

Dude that is sweet! My setup definitely isn’t that nice. My new monitor comes in today so I’ll put a pic of it up when I get it.

What racing games do you mainly play?

Mossy
4/14/2020 3:55am
scott_nz wrote:
iRacing looks fun but I’m not sure how I feel on the subscription pay model Unsure
Motofinne
4/14/2020 5:35am
scott_nz wrote:
Mossy wrote:
iRacing looks fun but I’m not sure how I feel on the subscription pay model Unsure
Buy Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione and Dirt Rally 2.0 from g2a(dot)com, that is a cheap way to start out! Forget Project Cars because like someone previously said, the game looks good but the force feedback is really bad compared to its competitors.

Add Motofinne on Steam if you want to do some casual racing/driving! I love to hit up the Nordschleife servers on Assetto Corsa and hammer down laps around the ring for hours! Drifting with the E30 in the drifting servers isn't too bad either!
Mossy
4/14/2020 8:01am
scott_nz wrote:
Mossy wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Buy Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione and Dirt Rally 2.0 from g2a(dot)com, that is a cheap way to start out! Forget Project Cars because like someone...
Buy Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione and Dirt Rally 2.0 from g2a(dot)com, that is a cheap way to start out! Forget Project Cars because like someone previously said, the game looks good but the force feedback is really bad compared to its competitors.

Add Motofinne on Steam if you want to do some casual racing/driving! I love to hit up the Nordschleife servers on Assetto Corsa and hammer down laps around the ring for hours! Drifting with the E30 in the drifting servers isn't too bad either!
I’m gonna pick up Assetto Corsa right now! I have Dirt Rally 2.0 already. Loving it.

Should I pay $16 and get Assetto Corsa Ultimate with all the dlc or $6 for base Assetto? I know I want to drive some fun JDM cars and I enjoy Porsche’s as well.
Motofinne
4/14/2020 8:16am
Mossy wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Buy Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione and Dirt Rally 2.0 from g2a(dot)com, that is a cheap way to start out! Forget Project Cars because like someone...

Mossy wrote:
I’m gonna pick up Assetto Corsa right now! I have Dirt Rally 2.0 already. Loving it. Should I pay $16 and get Assetto Corsa Ultimate with...
I’m gonna pick up Assetto Corsa right now! I have Dirt Rally 2.0 already. Loving it.

Should I pay $16 and get Assetto Corsa Ultimate with all the dlc or $6 for base Assetto? I know I want to drive some fun JDM cars and I enjoy Porsche’s as well.
The ultimate version is worth it!
motoman617
4/14/2020 8:39am
motoman617 wrote:
I’ve got two rigs setup for sim racing now. I have one dedicated rig for PC racing. Have an AccuForce Wheel base and 4 different wheel...

Mossy wrote:
Dude that is sweet! My setup definitely isn’t that nice. My new monitor comes in today so I’ll put a pic of it up when I...
Dude that is sweet! My setup definitely isn’t that nice. My new monitor comes in today so I’ll put a pic of it up when I get it.

What racing games do you mainly play?

On my PC rig I mainly play iRacing. I also enjoy RaceRoom Experience. For casual stuff on the PC I like American Truck Simulator but right now something is up with it and I can’t map any of the functions to my wheel. Haven’t played Dirt Rally 2 in a long time. I like the game but haven’t been playing it. I just built a new PC so I am still getting some things setup and transferred over.

On the console side I like F1 2019, Gran Turismo, Forza 7 and WRC8. Just got Dirt Rally 2 for the PS4. It is the free game this month.
motoman617
4/14/2020 8:47am
Motofinne wrote:
Do you prefer the Accuforce over the Fanatec DD base? I got into Sim racing recently and starting out slowly with a Thrustmaster T300. My upgrade...
Do you prefer the Accuforce over the Fanatec DD base? I got into Sim racing recently and starting out slowly with a Thrustmaster T300.

My upgrade path is probably going to be Fanatec V3 load cell pedals and then a direct drive base! But racing MX takes way too much money so this will probably happen in a year or two!
I prefer the AccuForce but I have had it longer and have never used the Fanatec on the PC side. Only using it for console gaming so it is a tough comparison. Thing I like on the AccuForce is the Sim Commander software. Endless possibilities but I mainly use the auto tune feature. You run some laps and the software logs them. You then take that log and the software makes a profile to use with that car and track.

I have had the AccuForce since it was released and it has never given me a problem. I actually have to turn the forces down because I have a bum shoulder and if I don’t turn the forces down I end up with bad shoulder pain.

I have a set of Fanatec V3 pedals and the brake pedal kit I plan on installing on the Fanatec rig. Anxious to try those out compared to the budget set that is on there.
jeffro503
4/14/2020 8:54am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2020 8:56am
Motofinne wrote:

Mossy wrote:
I’m gonna pick up Assetto Corsa right now! I have Dirt Rally 2.0 already. Loving it. Should I pay $16 and get Assetto Corsa Ultimate with...

Motofinne wrote:
The ultimate version is worth it!
Yes , get the ultimate , as you'll need some of the models in the DLC with mods and future mods. Once you get AC installed , you will want to get " Content manager " here ( https://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html ) .......do the donation and get the full version! It may take a few days for a response , but I have some buddies that speak to the creator of that UI and I might be able to help get you a key faster?? Not sure on that. It is by far the most incredible mod / app / UI ever created.

Once you get AC installed , then install CM. Put the icon on your desktop and you will then start using that to open the game. ( Still need to run Steam in the background for online play ).

You see , with all the content out there , the actual game AC is probably only about 3% of what you " could " have. And without content manager , sooner or later the vanilla AC game will break and won't run. Watch some videos on what content manager is.

I have just about every track ever created and more cars than I can count. Like 20 different era's of just Formula 1 , from GT legends , mini coopers , V8 supercars , ect......basically almost every car you could ever think of. The modding community on AC is also by far the largest of any race sim as well. Iracing is pretty dang awesome , BUT....with no modding community , I kinda gave up on paying for it.
motoman617
4/14/2020 9:25am
I might have to pick up AC today and check it out. I always read about it but have never bought it.
jeffro503
4/14/2020 9:53am
motoman617 wrote:
I might have to pick up AC today and check it out. I always read about it but have never bought it.
For sure , at least try it. Like I said , as far as road course racing goes , I've tried all the sims , and we have some great ones out there. FFB and tire model / design mean a lot in these sims , and when you get things setup correctly , it can be a blast. for me , it's a toss up on which one is my favorite , because each one drives slightly different , and has different content. The creators of AC pretty much handed that sim off to the public , and boy did they ever run with it! As far as my top sims at the moment , in no real specific order , but i am kinda stuck on AC at the moment.....

AC
AMS 1
RF2
RR3

2nd tier...
Iracing ( only because of the fee's attached , but it is indeed awesome )
GTR2 ( simbin package is cheap and worth every cent....especially Race 07'! )

3rd tier ( More arcadish , but can still be ok with some tweaking )
PCars 2
F1 2017

If you guys need / want help with AC , I can turn you onto a few sites which can give you a lot of stuff! You better have big hard drives haha!! There is a learning curve for sure on installing mods , but once you do it a few times , it goes pretty quick. I still do it the old fashion way , by unzipping the content , then manually placing them into the right folders. I can delete some of the pics and videos and so forth that come inside some of them , and clog the game up.

BTW....Motoman....I run the HPP two pedal setup. Have had them for about 4 years , awesome set of pedals.
jeffro503
4/14/2020 11:33am
Little edit : My hard drive is filled up past where I would like it to be , so I just made a judgement call and uninstalled Pcars 2 , and am replacing it with AMS 2. The game ( especially the Ai ) need work from what I've seen , but it seems to already be quite a bit better compared to Pcars 2 , as far as physics and so forth. It's in beta , and if any team can get a race sim to be awesome....it's Reiza.
motoman617
4/14/2020 12:17pm
Yeah Jeffro I have also said my two best sim racing purchases were my AccuForce Wheel and HPP pedals. Not one issue with either one. Expensive but have paid for themselves over the years. Had many wheels and pedal sets over the years with lots of problems so it is nice to have quality relaible stuff.

Going to check out AC and see how it works with my AccuForce.

Thanks.
Money
4/14/2020 9:07pm
Awesome insight. I was wondering about the fanatec over the accuforce as well. Also seen some people with the hpp pedal setup. Here’s what I’m looking at getting.
motoman617
4/14/2020 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2020 9:31pm
^^^ that is a nice clean looking setup. What size monitors are those?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/15/2020 2:19am
Yeah, I've recently been having some fun with iRacing...with varying levels of success. Wink

If any of you guys want a Vital MX paint for a Street Stock, Legends car, or Pro 2 truck, these are available at TradingPaints.com. I'll be working on some for other cars soon.

jeffro503
4/15/2020 8:09am
I'll be danged Steve , I had no idea you played around in the sims. Been thinking about renewing my membership at Iracing for like 3 months or something. Just enough to get me into summer time. I let my membership expire about 2 years ago. Up to that point , I think I had every car and every track ( road course ) available. I'm sure they have released quite a bit of content since then.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/15/2020 8:55am
jeffro503 wrote:
I'll be danged Steve , I had no idea you played around in the sims. Been thinking about renewing my membership at Iracing for like 3...
I'll be danged Steve , I had no idea you played around in the sims. Been thinking about renewing my membership at Iracing for like 3 months or something. Just enough to get me into summer time. I let my membership expire about 2 years ago. Up to that point , I think I had every car and every track ( road course ) available. I'm sure they have released quite a bit of content since then.
Just started. It's fun stuff, and a great brain exercise, but I've got a lot of work to do. At some point, I'll need to get a dedicated computer instead of running it off of my Macbook Pro.
jeffro503
4/15/2020 10:06am
jeffro503 wrote:
I'll be danged Steve , I had no idea you played around in the sims. Been thinking about renewing my membership at Iracing for like 3...
GuyB wrote:
Just started. It's fun stuff, and a great brain exercise, but I've got a lot of work to do. At some point, I'll need to get...
Just started. It's fun stuff, and a great brain exercise, but I've got a lot of work to do. At some point, I'll need to get a dedicated computer instead of running it off of my Macbook Pro.
I hear ya. I actually started sim racing way back in 2002 with the Papyrus Nascar games and a few other titles. Then around 2006 / 2006 I got this Logitech G27 wheel and pedal set.....was awesome to play with compared to the gamepads I was using. Never got too seriously into it until about 5 - 6yrs ago when these NW winter down time was killing me. So I drew up a plan to build my own simrig , not just for driving , but it's interchangeable to become a flight simrig and a first person shooter -all in one rig. I built it , then tore it down and modified it over and over until I had something that was really comfortable to sit in for hours on end. Still using my old G27 wheel and pedals , I slowly upgraded to a Fanatec CSW wheel base , couple F1 rims , BMW rim and I nice set of hydraulic pedals ( HPP two pedal setup ). I don't regret building this thing at all , as it has helped me have some fun during the bad weaher , and it's also super challenging. I haven't been in any online races or practices for a couple years , and mostly just race the Ai any more , but I have had a chance to practice with a few real name professional driver's , which I thought was really cool. Most of that was in the V8 Supercars stuff.

It's cool seeing some of you guy's get into this. I know Joel ( MX216 ) has built himself a set up over these past few weeks too. Think he's mainly rally stuff , which I don't really do much if any of that. I'm more of just a road course guy.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/15/2020 10:12am
Like I said, I've only been in for a couple of weeks. I was happy to move from Rookie to D in pavement ovals yesterday, particularly since I've seen a lot of people talk about how hard it is to get out of the rookie class. I'm figuring out road racing (so many idiots trying to overdrive...particularly on starts), and doing some Lucas Oil off-road stuff, too. I also need to work on dirt oval.
jeffro503
4/15/2020 10:20am
This is what I built here. I can add or remove the flight control stuff and use it just for driving. Just unscrew a couple wingnuts. Or attach the keyboard as well for shooter games.

jeffro503
4/15/2020 10:24am
GuyB wrote:
Like I said, I've only been in for a couple of weeks. I was happy to move from Rookie to D in pavement ovals yesterday, particularly...
Like I said, I've only been in for a couple of weeks. I was happy to move from Rookie to D in pavement ovals yesterday, particularly since I've seen a lot of people talk about how hard it is to get out of the rookie class. I'm figuring out road racing (so many idiots trying to overdrive...particularly on starts), and doing some Lucas Oil off-road stuff, too. I also need to work on dirt oval.
Haha yep! The online racing thing got old pretty quick with how some guys drive. Impatience and no real race craft. And then you get bozo's that sign up and get in a room just to cause carnage. It's not as bad in Iracing , as there are penalties , but in the other sims it's not monitored as well. Why I stick with the Ai most times now. Which Iracing just developed , so I'm eager to try them out. Supposed to be pretty good.
Mossy
4/15/2020 1:56pm
GuyB wrote:
Yeah, I've recently been having some fun with iRacing...with varying levels of success. ;) If any of you guys want a Vital MX paint for a...
Yeah, I've recently been having some fun with iRacing...with varying levels of success. Wink

If any of you guys want a Vital MX paint for a Street Stock, Legends car, or Pro 2 truck, these are available at TradingPaints.com. I'll be working on some for other cars soon.

Dang GuyB, you made me want to try iRacing now haha Cool I always loved those little Legends cars, if I pick it up I’ll definitely slap the VitalMX Livery on their, and maybe see you out there on the track when I get out of rookie Wink
Mossy
4/15/2020 2:02pm
jeffro503 wrote:
This is what I built here. I can add or remove the flight control stuff and use it just for driving. Just unscrew a couple wingnuts...
This is what I built here. I can add or remove the flight control stuff and use it just for driving. Just unscrew a couple wingnuts. Or attach the keyboard as well for shooter games.

Awesome setup Jeffro, gonna post my begginner little setup in a bit Tongue Just got a 32” AOC 2K 144hz monitor Cool Played AC and Dirt Rally on it last night and my god did I have some fun. I was always an FPS guy, and well looks like I’m into Racing Sims now Grinning

I’ve never had a racing game make me literally sweat like Dirt Rally though. I was wearing pretty much gym clothes, had the thermostat set to 70, and I was sweating trying not to crash Woohoo

What I loved about AC was how my steering wheel and the games steering wheel were perfectly in tune. I really enjoyed that, and how the clutch wasn’t useless when shifting. I could actually power shift and time the clutch just right to shift correctly. It was cool in the little Abarth.

So many racing sims in my Steam Library now...going riding on Saturday, so that means AC Saturday night and Dirt Rally and AC on Sunday LaughingCool
MXMattii
4/15/2020 4:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2020 4:30pm
For all the iRacing "junks", my brother (+3k irating on road) and some other friends have a community: SROC and you're all welcome on their discord channel. They share streams from iRaces, help each other with problems, ... you know all those things a community does.

I tried his rig a few days ago, and this for the first time (he has it for years now) because the races for NASCAR, Indycar and others looked so fun. But damn its hard to keep that car on the road. But I'm considering buying my own wheel/pedals to have some fun.

Post a reply to: PC Sim Racing

The Latest