Ozark, Netflix and other Shows to watch

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/7/2018 9:05am
Longmire is by far my favorite so far. I couldn't stop watching it.
-MAVERICK- wrote:
[b]AMC's The Son[/b] with Pierce Brosnan. Drama, Western Season 2 starts this year. Synopsis: A multi-generational epic telling of the story of America's birth as a...
AMC's The Son with Pierce Brosnan.
Drama, Western
Season 2 starts this year.
Synopsis: A multi-generational epic telling of the story of America's birth as a superpower through the bloody rise and fall of one Texas oil empire.

Paramount's Yellowstone with Kevin Costner.
Drama, Western
Season 2 starts in 2019.
Synopsis: A ranching family in Montana faces off against others encroaching on their land.

Netflix's Godless with Jeff Daniels.
Drama, Western
Mini-series, 7 episodes.
Synopsis: In the 1800's American West murderous outlaw gang leader Frank Griffin (Jeff Daniels) hunts for ex-protege Roy Goode. Frank's chase leads him to La Belle, New Mexico - a town inhabited, after a mining disaster, almost entirely of women.
AZ35 wrote:
Ditto on Longmire and Godless- excellent. Have not yet seen The Son or Yellowstone. If you like Western's- "Hell on Wheels" was an awesome series. Based...
Ditto on Longmire and Godless- excellent. Have not yet seen The Son or Yellowstone.

If you like Western's- "Hell on Wheels" was an awesome series.

Based on the building of the railroad across the US in the 1800's, so it is based on actual events.
I second Hell on Wheels. Excellent
GD2
Fantasy
815th
9/7/2018 9:21am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 9:22am
GD2 wrote:
I know this is about Netflix, but I'm gonna be more general and dump all of the shows I recommend by the available streaming services. [b]Netflix:[/b]...
I know this is about Netflix, but I'm gonna be more general and dump all of the shows I recommend by the available streaming services.

Netflix:

Godless (1 Season) - Probably the best Western show in a long, long time. It's a limited series so it was one season and one.

Hell on Wheels (5 Seasons) - Before Godless came around, this was my favorite Western show. It starts as a revenge tale but the story starts to expand in season two (focuses on building the railroad). It does get a little iffy towards the end but the ending was about as satisfying as it could be for a show like this.

Archer (9 Seasons) - The first three or four seasons are great adult entertainment. The rest, not so much.

Mad Men (7 Seasons) - Follows a group of men who work for an advertising firm in the 1960s.

Mindhunter (1 Season) - Perhaps one of the best shows of the past decade. This is from David Fincher (Seven, Zodiac, Gone Girl, Fight Club) and tells the story of how serial killer profiling came to be. The interviews are actually pretty true to real life, and Ed Kemper's interviews in the show are almost just a recital of his real life interviews.

Ozark (2 Seasons) - A slower show but deals with the interesting topic of money laundering and how hard it is to do.

Shameless (8 Seasons) - If you've been looking for a dirty comedy that follows a low class family in Chicago, you're in luck.

The Keepers (1 Season) - Documentary about how the Catholic Church (allegedly) covered up the murder of a nun who discovered the abuse that was going on in a Catholic school. Very well done.

The Last Kingdom (2 Seasons) - Set it 872, this follows a man named Uhtred who basically gets caught up in all of the drama he possibly can between rulers and kings. He's also a badass with a sword.

Breaking Bad (5 Seasons) - A science teacher becomes a meth cook, what's not to love?

Narcos (3 Seasons) - Pretty self-explanatory. Most of this show so far has focused on Pablo Escobar, but it's pivoting away from that storyline entirely and focusing on Mexico for season four.

HBO:

Band of Brothers (1 Season) - This is essentially a 10 hour WW2 movie, and it's by far the best war show ever created. Has a similar vibe as Saving Private Ryan (Steven Spielberg was a producer on this show).

True Detective (2 Seasons) - The first season is my favorite season of television of all time. Two detectives hunt down a serial killer in Louisiana.

Barry (1 Season) - Great comedy that also has a decent amount of action. Barry is an assassin who wants to become an actor.

Silicon Valley (5 Seasons) - A great office comedy about a startup company based on Silicon Valley.

Succession (1 Season) - Follows a family that is rich and pretty despicable

The Leftovers (3 Seasons) - A very small portion of the world's population disappears in an instant, but there is no explanation why. The show focuses on how people deal with the situation. It's a slow burn, but well worth it.

Sharp Objects (1 Season) - This isn't for everyone. It's one of the slowest burns I've watched in a long time and a lot of people seem to have struggled to get through it. This is based on the book by Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl) and focuses on a reporter who goes back to her hometown to report on a murder, but she, and everyone in the town for that matter, has some serious personal issues to deal with.

Hulu:

The Looming Tower (1 Season) - Tells the story of how the CIA and FBI would rather play team games than potentially prevent 9/11.

Amazon:

Justified (6 Seasons) - Follows a US Marshal on his many adventures. It's basically a Modern Western.

The Expanse (3 Seasons) - A real deal sci-fi show that should be getting a significant budget bump for season 4.

There are many others, but I think these are shows that some of you might find interesting.
Bud, no Deadwood or East bound and down (HBO)
Haven't watched East Bound and Down yet, and I found Deadwood to be disappointing. Although, I will say one I forgot to mention is Vice Principals. Good show.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/7/2018 9:25am
GD2 wrote:
I know this is about Netflix, but I'm gonna be more general and dump all of the shows I recommend by the available streaming services. [b]Netflix:[/b]...
I know this is about Netflix, but I'm gonna be more general and dump all of the shows I recommend by the available streaming services.

Netflix:

Godless (1 Season) - Probably the best Western show in a long, long time. It's a limited series so it was one season and one.

Hell on Wheels (5 Seasons) - Before Godless came around, this was my favorite Western show. It starts as a revenge tale but the story starts to expand in season two (focuses on building the railroad). It does get a little iffy towards the end but the ending was about as satisfying as it could be for a show like this.

Archer (9 Seasons) - The first three or four seasons are great adult entertainment. The rest, not so much.

Mad Men (7 Seasons) - Follows a group of men who work for an advertising firm in the 1960s.

Mindhunter (1 Season) - Perhaps one of the best shows of the past decade. This is from David Fincher (Seven, Zodiac, Gone Girl, Fight Club) and tells the story of how serial killer profiling came to be. The interviews are actually pretty true to real life, and Ed Kemper's interviews in the show are almost just a recital of his real life interviews.

Ozark (2 Seasons) - A slower show but deals with the interesting topic of money laundering and how hard it is to do.

Shameless (8 Seasons) - If you've been looking for a dirty comedy that follows a low class family in Chicago, you're in luck.

The Keepers (1 Season) - Documentary about how the Catholic Church (allegedly) covered up the murder of a nun who discovered the abuse that was going on in a Catholic school. Very well done.

The Last Kingdom (2 Seasons) - Set it 872, this follows a man named Uhtred who basically gets caught up in all of the drama he possibly can between rulers and kings. He's also a badass with a sword.

Breaking Bad (5 Seasons) - A science teacher becomes a meth cook, what's not to love?

Narcos (3 Seasons) - Pretty self-explanatory. Most of this show so far has focused on Pablo Escobar, but it's pivoting away from that storyline entirely and focusing on Mexico for season four.

HBO:

Band of Brothers (1 Season) - This is essentially a 10 hour WW2 movie, and it's by far the best war show ever created. Has a similar vibe as Saving Private Ryan (Steven Spielberg was a producer on this show).

True Detective (2 Seasons) - The first season is my favorite season of television of all time. Two detectives hunt down a serial killer in Louisiana.

Barry (1 Season) - Great comedy that also has a decent amount of action. Barry is an assassin who wants to become an actor.

Silicon Valley (5 Seasons) - A great office comedy about a startup company based on Silicon Valley.

The Leftovers (3 Seasons) - A very small portion of the world's population disappears in an instant, but there is no explanation why. The show focuses on how people deal with the situation. It's a slow burn, but well worth it.

Sharp Objects (1 Season) - This isn't for everyone. It's one of the slowest burns I've watched in a long time and a lot of people seem to have struggled to get through it. This is based on the book by Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl) and focuses on a reporter who goes back to her hometown to report on a murder, but she, and everyone in the town for that matter, has some serious personal issues to deal with.

Hulu:

The Looming Tower (1 Season) - Tells the story of how the CIA and FBI would rather play team games than potentially prevent 9/11.

Amazon:

Justified (6 Seasons) - Follows a US Marshal on his many adventures. It's basically a Modern Western.

The Expanse (3 Seasons) - A real deal sci-fi show that should be getting a significant budget bump for season 4.

There are many others, but I think these are shows that some of you might find interesting.
GD2 wrote:
Haven't watched [i]East Bound and Down[/I] yet, and I found [i]Deadwood[/i] to be disappointing. Although, I will say one I forgot to mention is [i]Vice Principals[/i]...
Haven't watched East Bound and Down yet, and I found Deadwood to be disappointing. Although, I will say one I forgot to mention is Vice Principals. Good show.
HBO

The Night Of
Ballers

The Shop

9/7/2018 4:21pm
GD2 wrote:

Netflix:

HBO:

Hulu:

Amazon:

GD2 wrote:
Haven't watched [i]East Bound and Down[/I] yet, and I found [i]Deadwood[/i] to be disappointing. Although, I will say one I forgot to mention is [i]Vice Principals[/i]...
Check out boardwalk empire. I thought it was good.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/7/2018 7:04pm
Anyone ever watch The boondock saints?It just came up as suggested shows. It's on Netflix. Its excellent. Part 2 is awesome as well.
Five2Five
9/7/2018 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 9:05pm
Don't know if its on Netflix or not, but when i was younger i liked watching Burn notice. Hatfields & McCoys is also a good mini series.
9/7/2018 9:04pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
If you're talking about "Shooter" with Ryan Phillippe it's not bad but it's not great. It's in its 3rd and final season. There's only 2 episodes...
If you're talking about "Shooter" with Ryan Phillippe it's not bad but it's not great. It's in its 3rd and final season. There's only 2 episodes left.

I prefered the series "SIX" that was on History. It was cancelled after season 2 aired this year.

I don't think it's on Netflix or Amazon but if you have the chance check out FX's original series "Snowfall". It's about the early days on the crack cocaine epidemic in Los Angeles in the early 80's. Currently in its 2nd season and will more than likely be picked up for a 3rd season.
jamma10 wrote:
Yeah it's the Ryan Philippe series I'm watching. I'll keep an eye out for SIX. I've seen the first series of Snowfall, it was on terrestrial...
Yeah it's the Ryan Philippe series I'm watching. I'll keep an eye out for SIX.

I've seen the first series of Snowfall, it was on terrestrial TV here in the UK about a year ago. Pretty good from what I recall - I remember an amusing Speedo wearing Russian drug lord Grinning
Israeli speedo wearing drug dealer
9/7/2018 9:09pm
HBO on Amazon Prime
Boardwalk Empire
Sopranos
The Wire
Carnival
Rome
Eastbound and Down
Band of Brothers
The Pacific
Generation Kill

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/8/2018 5:46pm
Loving Narcos. It's pretty cool that it's based on true life story of Pablo. I mentioned earlier to my wife that I cant believe this DEA agent only has a 6 shooter lol but besides that its excellent.
TXDirt
9/8/2018 6:09pm
FLmxer wrote:
Anyone ever watch The boondock saints?It just came up as suggested shows. It's on Netflix. Its excellent. Part 2 is awesome as well.
That's an iconic movie. Most everyone I know has watched it. And yes an awesome movie!
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/9/2018 6:33am
FLmxer wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
That's an iconic movie. Most everyone I know has watched it. And yes an awesome movie!
Yes definitely iconic. I have seen them many times over and forgot about them and then they showed up on my suggested and got excited. Lol
shuggs
9/9/2018 8:20am
Narcos seasons 1 & 2 are a must see.

Just watching Goliath from Amazon just now. Like Billy Bob Thornton.
Ebs
9/9/2018 9:14am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 9:15am
Haven't seen it on Netflix yet, but if you do:

Fargo (FX series)

Great show, check it out. Every season is a different story/cast, and they've all been great.
peelout
9/10/2018 10:06am
watching MindHunter now, only 1 season so far and i'm halfway through it. i really like the FBI agents, have a hard on for the chick, and think it's a great story.
jeffro503
9/10/2018 10:14am
Sure these have already been mentioned , but....

Viking's ( couldn't stop watching this one )
Breaking bad
Frankenstien Chronicle's
Sneaky Pete
Altered Carbon

Lot's of other's I really dug too , but I've seen most of them listed already.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/10/2018 10:26am
Under rated series: Quarry (only 1 season)
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/10/2018 6:39pm
At the end of season 2 of Narcos. Great show. Lt. Penea is the perfect guy to play Burt Reynolds in the near future.
Nighttrain
9/15/2018 5:19am
A few mentioned Godless in this thread so I checked it out. That was an incredibly good series. I binged the final 3 episodes last night. My only disappointment is that there are no more.
peelout
9/20/2018 9:19am Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 9:20am
Nighttrain wrote:
A few mentioned [i]Godless[/i] in this thread so I checked it out. That was an incredibly good series. I binged the final 3 episodes last night...
A few mentioned Godless in this thread so I checked it out. That was an incredibly good series. I binged the final 3 episodes last night. My only disappointment is that there are no more.
i was really bummed when it ended, not because of the story but because it was over... such a great show.

the scene with Frank Griffen and the Marshal in the bar was fucking intense, i about shit, i did not expect that at all.

acting was also top notch all the way through. i'll be re-starting it soon.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/20/2018 9:55am
I just started Godless. Really good so far.
jeffro503
9/23/2018 10:58pm
Well....here is a brand new one. On Netflix called Maniac. Only 1 episode in.....and wow it's a Freakin' Trip!! Not sure what's exactly real and what isn't. Couple good actor's in it and it's not low budget.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/23/2018 11:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2018 11:10pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well....here is a brand new one. On Netflix called Maniac. Only 1 episode in.....and wow it's a Freakin' Trip!! Not sure what's exactly real and what...
Well....here is a brand new one. On Netflix called Maniac. Only 1 episode in.....and wow it's a Freakin' Trip!! Not sure what's exactly real and what isn't. Couple good actor's in it and it's not low budget.
Maniac is a mini-series and has 10 episodes so there won't be a second season.

Another mini-series is The Looming Tower with Jeff Daniels. That one also has 10 episodes.

The Looming Tower
Drama
10 episodes
Synopsis: A look at how the rivalry between the CIA and FBI inadvertently set the stage for the tragedy of 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan.
jamma10
9/24/2018 3:51am
Just finished watching 'Killing Eve', a BBC America series about a psychopathic, female Russian assassin. Absolutely brilliant!

It's been nominated for numerous awards in the States. Any of you guys watch it?

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/24/2018 6:20am
jeffro503 wrote:
Well....here is a brand new one. On Netflix called Maniac. Only 1 episode in.....and wow it's a Freakin' Trip!! Not sure what's exactly real and what...
Finished Godless which was great and like 7 episodes into maniac already. It's odd but decent.
MelonFan123
9/24/2018 6:55am
FLmxer wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
My buddies and I used to love Boondocks Saints, one of those cult movies we watched on rotation in college when we were too broke for cable haha.

There is a fascinating documentary about the writer/director of that movie. He was a nobody in Hollywood, working as a bartender and it was his first movie and screenplay. Apparently he got a power trip when his Boondock screenplay was bought (by Harvey Weinstein of all people) but he was later "blackballed" due to his behavior. Basically one asshole pissed off a bigger and more powerful asshole! The film was shelved and had pretty much no distribution.

I won't give up too much but if you are a fan of Boondock it's really interesting.
jeffro503
9/24/2018 8:50am
jamma10 wrote:
Just finished watching 'Killing Eve', a BBC America series about a psychopathic, female Russian assassin. Absolutely brilliant! It's been nominated for numerous awards in the States...
Just finished watching 'Killing Eve', a BBC America series about a psychopathic, female Russian assassin. Absolutely brilliant!

It's been nominated for numerous awards in the States. Any of you guys watch it?

I was wondering if this was a good one. I'd forgotten about it till now. Definitely check that one out.
Ebs
9/30/2018 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2018 7:22pm
'Wind River' is a solid watch.

If you liked the Longmire series it's pretty much a 90 minute Longmire movie.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/30/2018 8:03pm
Ebs wrote:
'Wind River' is a solid watch.

If you liked the Longmire series it's pretty much a 90 minute Longmire movie.
Thought that movie was excellent

Anyone watch Amazon Prime? Just started a series last night called “Jack Ryan”. It’s based on a Tom Clancy novel. First episode seemed pretty good
mxrider971
10/5/2018 10:04am
Peaky Blinders - Already mentioned but it’s a fantastic show.
Ripper Street - Great crime/detective show.
Vikings - Currently watching, has me just as hooked as Peaky Blinders.

Post a reply to: Ozark, Netflix and other Shows to watch

The Latest