Our local high school is introducing a new PE class....

APLMAN99
Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 7:28pm
And I think it’s going to be pretty popular!

http://wenatcheeoutdoors.org/2018/02/25/wenatchee-high-school-offering-…

WENATCHEE HIGH SCHOOL OFFERING OUTDOOR REC FITNESS COURSE

Wenatchee High School is soon to offer an Outdoor Recreation Fitness course which will be the first of its kind. As many of you know, our Valley is so fortunate to have a vast array of outdoor activities we can enjoy right out the back door. Backpacking, skiing, snowshoeing, biking, rock climbing, hiking and the list goes on…Many of the students at Wenatchee High School have not been exposed to or become familiar with many outdoor adventure activities. This fitness course will be the gateway for many of the students at Wenatchee High School to experience physical fitness in a new way, out in nature.

To make these activities possible for this class, the school is looking for gear donations. Camping gear is a high priority on the school’s list for donations. Cooking gear, purifiers, tents, sleeping bags, backpacking packs and sleeping pads are all needed. Rock climbing gear like harnesses, ropes, carabiners or any winter equipment including skies, ski poles, snowboards, snowshoes and helmets would also be greatly appreciated.

Along with gear, the school is also in need of volunteers for lessons (for example, if you want to teach kids about avalanche preparedness) or supervisors for field trips. The Outdoor Recreation Fitness class is starting small for the 2018-2019 school year but they are still looking for six volunteers for four days to supervise the rock climbing part of the class. They will also need another six volunteers for four days to supervise the snowshoeing (possibly skiing) aspect of the course. Lastly, they will need six volunteers for four days for a backpacking trip if enough supplies are donated. Prior knowledge of these activities is not necessary for supervisors, but strongly preferred. The goal is to keep the students safe and teach them how to responsibly participate in these outdoor activities. Instructions will be given prior to each outing to insure each trip goes as smoothly as possible.

To help make this class a success they are in need of support from our amazing community and the Wenatchee High School is very excited to start offering this course. If you have gear to donate, would like to volunteer or teach a lesson, or have further questions please contact Nikki Buzzell
|
MR. X
3/14/2018 4:03am
That's a great idea ,it's sad how little people interact with wilderness these days .
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
3/14/2018 6:00am
I would have signed up for that in my hs days. Sounds like great fun.
TM
Uncle Tony
3/14/2018 6:50am
I think its great! It's what kids need these days, I have a few back packs I will donate
agn5009
3/14/2018 6:58am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 7:00am
Its definitely not the first of it's kind. My school had outdoor club and I graduated 12 years ago. We went hiking, fishing, did archery, went canoeing, cross country skiing, snow shoeing etc.

It's awesome. I wish more schools would do it. We had a lot of fun but it is very expensive.

The Shop

JRT812
3/14/2018 7:08am
agn5009 wrote:
Its definitely not the first of it's kind. My school had outdoor club and I graduated 12 years ago. We went hiking, fishing, did archery, went...
Its definitely not the first of it's kind. My school had outdoor club and I graduated 12 years ago. We went hiking, fishing, did archery, went canoeing, cross country skiing, snow shoeing etc.

It's awesome. I wish more schools would do it. We had a lot of fun but it is very expensive.
We had to skip if we wanted to do anything like that during school hours. Seems really cool and would have loved that.
Stuntman949
3/14/2018 7:24am
Oh wow. Would love to hear a follow up on this. Very cool indeed
mutti_wilson
3/14/2018 9:57am
MR. X wrote:
That's a great idea ,it's sad how little people interact with wilderness these days .
Not around Portland OR where I live. You are lucky to find a place to park or get a pass at any outdoor area around here.
Ebs
3/14/2018 9:59am
Outdoor dodgeball?
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/14/2018 10:00am
The tragedy of school athletic culture (and all the money that goes into it) is that for the majority of people the sports they grow up loving are unsustainable on a regular basis once you get out of high school or maybe college. Pickup basketball is common but playing a game soccer, football or baseball as an adult means having to join a league. People are raised to be participants for 10 years and spectators for 50. Of course it helps if there is a lot of public land easily available nearby to hold outdoor education, which is not common everywhere.
3/14/2018 10:05am
That's why my boys are in Boy Scouts. We camp once a month all year around and we have all 4 seasons, so yep, cold weather camping too. They do all sorts of outdoor activities and do a 10 day summer camp.
If you don't have good leaders, forget it. I totally understand why such a small percentage stay in for very long.
Lucky for us, 2 of our leaders have working farms. Next week they get to spend an entire day with the vet de-horning cows (whatever the fk that is, I'm a city boy). Last weekend was a campout with a 5 mile hike. good times.
APLMAN99
3/14/2018 2:01pm
agn5009 wrote:
Its definitely not the first of it's kind. My school had outdoor club and I graduated 12 years ago. We went hiking, fishing, did archery, went...

Our schools have had outdoor clubs forever, but this is a little bit different. It’s an actual PE class, earning high school credit. I’m sure it’s not the first of its kind nationwide, but it probably is around our area. It wouldn’t have quite been as possible a few years ago but our high school went to a block schedule a few years back. It makes class periods around 2 hours each, which conceivably gives our students time to ski, snowshoe, bike, hike, climb not only at our local climbing wall facility but also at a few of our local “real” climbing areas, or paddle on the river.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/14/2018 2:12pm
That's why my boys are in Boy Scouts. We camp once a month all year around and we have all 4 seasons, so yep, cold weather...
That's why my boys are in Boy Scouts. We camp once a month all year around and we have all 4 seasons, so yep, cold weather camping too. They do all sorts of outdoor activities and do a 10 day summer camp.
If you don't have good leaders, forget it. I totally understand why such a small percentage stay in for very long.
Lucky for us, 2 of our leaders have working farms. Next week they get to spend an entire day with the vet de-horning cows (whatever the fk that is, I'm a city boy). Last weekend was a campout with a 5 mile hike. good times.
If your troop has a chance to go to the Summit Bechtel scout camp in WV definitely go. I used to live in that area before and during the construction of it. Never saw the place myself as it's boyscouts only but I saw alot of plans and stuff and it looks awesome. I've taken a ton of scout troops rock climbing as a paid guide and there were definitely troops that looked fun to be in and ones that didn't.
APLMAN99
3/14/2018 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 8:23pm
rosebud441 wrote:
my Alma mater.. good for the Panthers!!
If I remember, you're mid to late 20s, right? My two older kids graduated from Wenatchee in 2011 and 2013 so you were probably just enough ahead of them to be gone when they started. My youngest is a Junior at Wenatchee right now.

I was an Eastmont grad back in the early 80s so all that purple and gold took a little bit of getting used to!
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
3/15/2018 8:41am
Coastal schools had cedits for surfing class in middle and highschool when i was a kid but we were all tough as nails back then.
rosebud441
3/16/2018 9:10am
oh my, no... i'm an old fart, graduated in 85.

I Absolutely loved high school days in Wenacthee and summers in Chelan.. cruising the ave in my bitchen Camaro.. Night skiing at MIssion, Apple blossom parties on shrooms. Ahhh, sacred youth.
APLMAN99
3/16/2018 12:54pm
rosebud441 wrote:
oh my, no... i'm an old fart, graduated in 85. I Absolutely loved high school days in Wenacthee and summers in Chelan.. cruising the ave in...
oh my, no... i'm an old fart, graduated in 85.

I Absolutely loved high school days in Wenacthee and summers in Chelan.. cruising the ave in my bitchen Camaro.. Night skiing at MIssion, Apple blossom parties on shrooms. Ahhh, sacred youth.
Oh, I thought you were a young guy, just prematurely 'evolved'! Cool

Chances are we knew/know a lot of the same people. I was Eastmont '83, but seemed like I ended up knowing a lot of the Wenatchee girls from the 84 and 85 classes too, especially doing the WVCC thing after high school. You may have even ended up at some of the parties we threw my freshman year of college, a lot of the 84/85 folks from both sides of the river always seemed to show up every weekend.

You were in the same year as Eastmont grad Paul D'Amour, who later was the original Tool bassist. He somehow seemed to spend almost every weekend, and most of the week nights too, at our place. I think I may have been the one to buy his first alcohol!
rosebud441
3/16/2018 1:45pm
Small world for sure, i'm sure we ended up at a few of the same parities although i seem to remember Wenatchee and Eastmont mixed parties always ended in drunken brawls ..

I knew Paul through a few folks but not directly. Cheers!!
rosebud441
3/16/2018 1:52pm
My bitchen Camaro circa 1985, ladder bars and all.. never drove it in the winter, tucked away in Grandpas 3-bay

Timo_2824
3/16/2018 6:06pm
That's why my boys are in Boy Scouts. We camp once a month all year around and we have all 4 seasons, so yep, cold weather...
Tell them to wear throwaway clothes, there is a single blood vessel in the middle of the horn that can shoot blood like ten feet... Really gross when you're walking past the shoot and get hit in the face by cow blood. On the squirter's we would just hit them with the branding iron to cauterize it.
Shiftfaced
3/16/2018 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2018 7:28pm
Ephrata, graduated in 1989. A little behind you guys, but.....

Only person I remember from the Wenatchee/Eastmont area was Jason Evanhus (sp?).

From Little League All Stars to Babe Ruth, to then Varsity baseball, that dude knew how to pitch, and threw HARD.

I think his father Stan played some pro ball.

Post a reply to: Our local high school is introducing a new PE class....

The Latest