Our Fu**ED UP Government

ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
Our government is demanding that veterans pay back re-signing bonuses from 10 years ago.
They are claiming that these bonuses were only supposed to go to "high value" needs and were
given out to those that "didn't deserve" it. I say our government is so effed up to do shit like this.
Our veterans are treated so poorly it's criminal. As if we need another reason to to know how
corrupt and dishonest our government is. Those in government do and get away with any and
everything that us common folks would spend years in jail for. Now they want to ruin those people
who didn't steal money but received a bonus for doing what is arguably one of the most honorable
and shitty jobs in the whole world. They don't want to just have the bonus back but interest as well.
I swear these folks are like that puss that comes out from under the scab!!
BTW, I'm not a veteran, just someone who hates how bad they are treated.
TM
The better solution is that they retroactively give the bonus to everyone that didn't get it!!!
|
newmann
10/24/2016 9:13am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2016 9:14am
Pretty much a recruitment scam that was going in California that affected thousands upon thousands of soldiers who signed a contract and then went and risked it all fighting the boogeyman overseas. The .gov fucked up and needed troops. Many of these vets may not have enlisted or re-upped had it not been for the sign on bonuses. I tried to post a link from the LA Times the other day but couldn't get it to link to the story. Meanwhile, tens of thousands of dollars worth of free shit and benefits to illegal immigrants and refugees.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
10/24/2016 9:18am
I read about this the other day, soldiers were overpaid. They shouldn't have spent it. Be like your employeer giving you a $5,000 Christmas bonus when you were only supposed to get $1,000.
However it's been 10 years, there's a point you can't take money back. I think 10 years is past that point
MR. X
10/24/2016 9:18am
Who was the first asshole who had the balls to bring up such a thing . These fuckers should be ashamed to even look at themselves in the mirror . Rotten fuckers.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
10/24/2016 9:20am
" Meanwhile, tens of thousands of dollars worth of free shit and benefits to illegal immigrants and refugees."

On an annual basis, with no end in sight. My mother in law get $500ish monthly Social Security for having worked
her all her life in a factory where she earned just enough to raise her kids as a single Mom. But come here as an
Illegal and get thousands. Mind boggling!!!!
TM

The Shop

ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
10/24/2016 9:38am
colintrax wrote:
I read about this the other day, soldiers were overpaid. They shouldn't have spent it. Be like your employeer giving you a $5,000 Christmas bonus when...
I read about this the other day, soldiers were overpaid. They shouldn't have spent it. Be like your employeer giving you a $5,000 Christmas bonus when you were only supposed to get $1,000.
However it's been 10 years, there's a point you can't take money back. I think 10 years is past that point
"I read about this the other day, soldiers were overpaid. They shouldn't have spent it."

Not even close tot he same thing!! Soldiers were told "if you re-sign we'll pay you"
They then made a decision to re-sign based on the incentive that they were wrongly
pitched. Not only that many of them are disabled now because of it.
In your scenario someone is expecting a specific bonus and the amount is wrong, and
the person may or may not bring it to someone's attention knowing they were over paid.
TM
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
10/24/2016 9:51am
ToolMaker wrote:
"I read about this the other day, soldiers were overpaid. They shouldn't have spent it." Not even close tot he same thing!! Soldiers were told "if...
"I read about this the other day, soldiers were overpaid. They shouldn't have spent it."

Not even close tot he same thing!! Soldiers were told "if you re-sign we'll pay you"
They then made a decision to re-sign based on the incentive that they were wrongly
pitched. Not only that many of them are disabled now because of it.
In your scenario someone is expecting a specific bonus and the amount is wrong, and
the person may or may not bring it to someone's attention knowing they were over paid.
TM
The article I read made it sound as if they were told they'd be paid X amount and instead they received Y amount.
newmann
10/24/2016 10:02am
This looks like the Times article.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/24/pentagon-demands-return-cash-bonus…

The Pentagon is seeking to recover decade-old reenlistment bonuses paid to thousands of California Army National Guard soldiers to go fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

The paper reported that nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom risked their lives during multiple combat tours, have been ordered to repay the cash bonuses after audits revealed widespread overpayments by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets at the height of the wars 10 years ago.

But soldiers say the military is reneging on old agreements and imposing severe financial hardship on those whose only mistake was to accept the bonuses, which amounted to $15,000 or more.

The Army asked wounded Iraq veteran and former Army captain Christopher Van Meter, 42, to repay a $25,000 reenlistment bonus it said he was ineligible to receive. He was also asked to repay $21,000 in student loan repayments.

Van Meter told the paper that rather than fight the Army he paid back the money after refinancing his home.

“These bonuses were used to keep people in,” Van Meter said. “People like me just got screwed.”

The Times reported that 48-year-old Army sergeant Robert Richmond, who suffered permanent injuries in an Iraq roadside bomb attack, is refusing to repay his $15,000 cash bonus. The Army contends he was ineligible to receive the bonus in 2006 because he had already served 20 years in the Army.

“I signed a contract that I literally risked my life to fulfill,” Richmond told the paper. “We want somebody in the government, anybody, to say this is wrong and we’ll stop going after his money.”

Investigations determined that fraud and mismanagement due to poor oversight contributed to the California Guard bonus overpayments, according to the Times.

California Guard officials conceded to the paper that taking back the money from military veterans is distasteful.

“At the end of the day, the soldiers ended up paying the largest price,” Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, deputy commander of the California Guard, said. “We’d be more than happy to absolve these people of their debts. We just can’t do it. We’d be breaking the law.”

On Sunday, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said in a statement the Department of Defense should "waive these repayments," and that the House "will investigate these reports to ensure our soldiers are fully honored for their service.”

"It is disgraceful that the men and women who answered their country's call to duty following September 11 are now facing forced repayments of bonuses offered to them. Our military heroes should not shoulder the burden of military recruiters' faults from over a decade ago," he said. "They should not owe for what was promised during a difficult time in our country. Rather, we are the ones who owe a debt for the great sacrifices our heroes have made - some of whom unfortunately paid the ultimate sacrifice.."

Click for more from the Los Angeles Times.
JW381
10/24/2016 10:17am
That is absurd. Terrible mismanagement.
MR. X
10/24/2016 10:18am
They can't waive these payments or they won't waive these payments? Since when the fuck does the government care if they break the law?
Firefly47
10/24/2016 11:35am
The Pentagon should demand the state of California pay this back, not the soldiers.
The state should bear this responsibility.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/24/2016 11:39am
MR. X wrote:
Who was the first asshole who had the balls to bring up such a thing . These fuckers should be ashamed to even look at themselves...
Who was the first asshole who had the balls to bring up such a thing . These fuckers should be ashamed to even look at themselves in the mirror . Rotten fuckers.
Indeed. I'd like to know whose bright idea this was.
MR. X
10/24/2016 11:48am
Firefly47 wrote:
The Pentagon should demand the state of California pay this back, not the soldiers.
I think that's the problem,the state is asshole deep in debt already so the pricks are trying anything they can think of to get money.
Rooster
10/24/2016 12:05pm
Firefly47 wrote:
Why? It's the Pentagon's mistake and their decision to go after the funds.

Does the Pentagon operate at the pleasure of the state of California? Did California offer the bonuses or ask for them to be paid back?
10/24/2016 1:32pm
colintrax wrote:
The article I read made it sound as if they were told they'd be paid X amount and instead they received Y amount.
I was trying to make heads or tails of that part too. It sounded to me like the recruiters promised an amount and came through with it. They didn't have the authority to promise or pay out that amount, but did anyway to meet recruitment numbers.
Now, 10 years later, the fraud was discovered and we have a mess to no fault of the soldiers.
it's the recruiters and auditors that need to be beaten with a stick. repeatedly.

newmann
10/24/2016 1:51pm
colintrax wrote:
I was trying to make heads or tails of that part too. It sounded to me like the recruiters promised an amount and came through with...
I was trying to make heads or tails of that part too. It sounded to me like the recruiters promised an amount and came through with it. They didn't have the authority to promise or pay out that amount, but did anyway to meet recruitment numbers.
Now, 10 years later, the fraud was discovered and we have a mess to no fault of the soldiers.
it's the recruiters and auditors that need to be beaten with a stick. repeatedly.

Exactly. If we are concerned about a little chump change owed to our soldiers, how about the 36 billion dollars worth of Humvees, Mraps, tanks and equipment we left behind for the fucking enemy? Where were the fucking auditors at for that?
JAFO92
10/24/2016 2:20pm
And yet somehow we have unlimited monies to import boatloads of jihadi goat fuckers who hate Americans and American culture.

APLMAN99
10/24/2016 3:23pm
colintrax wrote:
I read about this the other day, soldiers were overpaid. They shouldn't have spent it. Be like your employeer giving you a $5,000 Christmas bonus when...
My original thought was similar, but a little research makes it sound like the soldiers didn't receive anything that they weren't promised, just that the "recruiters" promised (and signed) bonuses that weren't authorized. It'd be like your manager giving you a bonus, then 10 years later having the corporate office call you up asking for that bonus back.

The soldiers didn't know that they were given unauthorized bonuses. The problem lies with the "recruiters", not the soldiers.

Now if this were a case of them being overpaid the money promised them, I could understand them being asked to repay the overage. But it doesn't appear to be so.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
10/24/2016 3:29pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
My original thought was similar, but a little research makes it sound like the soldiers didn't receive anything that they weren't promised, just that the "recruiters"...
My original thought was similar, but a little research makes it sound like the soldiers didn't receive anything that they weren't promised, just that the "recruiters" promised (and signed) bonuses that weren't authorized. It'd be like your manager giving you a bonus, then 10 years later having the corporate office call you up asking for that bonus back.

The soldiers didn't know that they were given unauthorized bonuses. The problem lies with the "recruiters", not the soldiers.

Now if this were a case of them being overpaid the money promised them, I could understand them being asked to repay the overage. But it doesn't appear to be so.
Ok, sounds like I was wrong. If this was a recruiter problem, the recruiters should be fired and the soldiers should get to keep the money. They don't get paid enough as it is. Maybe we should just take that money back from Congress members, not like they do their job anyways.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
10/24/2016 5:11pm
I listened to our local rep (Duncan Hunter) on the radio this afternoon about this issue.
He said, (not word for word) This is one of the dumbest things to happen. As much money
as has been wasted on other things and now they want to get money from our military
men and women that put themselves in harms way, just stupid. The Defense Sec has the
power with his pen to make this all go away without waiting for congressional intervention.
He said Ash Carter should write it off and move on.
However they (congress) will start measures to stop this idiocy in case he doesn't.
At least some still value what those in the military do for us.
He also said that right now it's not as wide spread so many folks don't know about it because
the issue just came up when CA got audited, when they audit the other states the same thing
will happen there so they need to resolve this NOW.
Thank you Duncan Hunter for trying to do whats right for our young men and women that got
wrongfully bribed into extending their service time to our country.
TM
racin mason
10/24/2016 5:26pm
What happens with the poor soul who re-upped because of the bonus,and didnt make it home??
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
10/24/2016 5:27pm
This is absolutely absurd, embarrassing, and criminal. Feds mishandeled tons (literally,cargo planes full) of cash in the Iraq situation alone. $16 billion sent, 1/3 to 1/2 still unaccounted for. Yet they want money paid back on the backs of the people who dedicated their lives for their country?
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
10/24/2016 9:17pm
Couldn't The Administration just say thank you vet, keep the money?
That's what is really upsetting for most of us. They can do that but have chosen not to.
TM
10/25/2016 10:16am
This is really a state of California issue and not necessarily a pentagon issue. The retention officers that were in charge of getting reenlistmentsome we're signing up soldiers who were in MOSs that were ineligible for the bonuses. The problem is at that time the bonuses were being paid out prior to being checked for eligibility. The ncos that were in charge of retention are actually State of California employees. Several of them are serving time because of this. There were actually some armories where the commanding officers gave warnings to the enlisted men about being ineligible for the bonus. To the point where they were told you don't spend the money they're going to ask for it back.
10/25/2016 5:44pm
But if we overpay our taxes the government doesn't come knocking down the door to give us back the money that we overpaid.......
SCR
10/25/2016 9:54pm
ToolMaker wrote:
I listened to our local rep (Duncan Hunter) on the radio this afternoon about this issue. He said, (not word for word) This is one of...
I listened to our local rep (Duncan Hunter) on the radio this afternoon about this issue.
He said, (not word for word) This is one of the dumbest things to happen. As much money
as has been wasted on other things and now they want to get money from our military
men and women that put themselves in harms way, just stupid. The Defense Sec has the
power with his pen to make this all go away without waiting for congressional intervention.
However they (congress) will start measures to stop this idiocy in case he doesn't.
He also said that right now it's not as wide spread so many folks don't know about it because
the issue just came up when CA got audited, when they audit the other states the same thing
Thank you Duncan Hunter for trying to do whats right for our young men and women that got
TM
Duncans a good man. We used to have a good man in our district.
Anyway I understand it the same way, it's not just a CA issue.
Members of Congress are already lining up to be the first to get credit for standing up against the injustice to our soldiers. Especially those up for reelection. I hate sounding cynical but I wonder if some would be so outraged or concerned if not for reelection. Anyway I would guess there is goin to be enough pressure to get it fixed. Just hope it's not one of those things that gets a bunch of lip service and attention then is never really dealt with.
Prairieboy43
10/26/2016 5:21am
ToolMaker wrote:
I listened to our local rep (Duncan Hunter) on the radio this afternoon about this issue. He said, (not word for word) This is one of...
TM
SCR wrote:
Duncans a good man. We used to have a good man in our district. Anyway I understand it the same way, it's not just a CA...
Members of Congress are already lining up to be the first to get credit for standing up against the injustice to our soldiers. Especially those up for reelection. I hate sounding cynical but I wonder if some would be so outraged or concerned if not for reelection. Anyway I would guess there is goin to be enough pressure to get it fixed. Just hope it's not one of those things that gets a bunch of lip service and attention then is never really dealt with.
Read the book "Confessions of a Congressman ". Short read. No there only desire is to be reelected. After that, see you next round. Evil
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
10/26/2016 5:41am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
SCR wrote:
Duncans a good man. We used to have a good man in our district. Anyway I understand it the same way, it's not just a CA...
Read the book "Confessions of a Congressman ". Short read. No there only desire is to be reelected. After that, see you next round. Evil
While it's true the job of a politician is to get re-elected, some actually do have the ability and desire to help, and whether they do it to help themselves or us may be irrelevant in this issue.
As an optimist, I choose to believe that Duncan is one of the good guys. He also has enough clout to effect the change he sets out to.
TM

Post a reply to: Our Fu**ED UP Government

The Latest