2212th
Edited Date/Time 8/23/2022 6:41pm
Poll

What do you think?

Choices
|
JRT812
7/18/2022 9:57am
I really don't know enough to vote. However, I do sometimes feel the weather is different, but then last year we actually had all the regular seasons for the first time in a while....can't make up my mind. I also feel like there is an agenda and the topic of "climate change" is being used to help meet that agenda
7/18/2022 9:58am
JRT812 wrote:
I really don't know enough to vote. However, I do sometimes feel the weather is different, but then last year we actually had all the regular...
I really don't know enough to vote. However, I do sometimes feel the weather is different, but then last year we actually had all the regular seasons for the first time in a while....can't make up my mind. I also feel like there is an agenda and the topic of "climate change" is being used to help meet that agenda
Like Agenda 21?
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
7/18/2022 10:10am
Sadly the Ozone Layer is taking a beating from the continuous use of fossil fuels which has led to an era of global warming. Petrol, diesel, natural gas, when used, emit harmful greenhouse gasses such as CO, CO2, SO2, NOx, etc.

Climate change is real...weather patterns are shifting and it's the future generations that are going to suffer....

Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
7/18/2022 10:15am
I quote you - Burning fossil fuels DOES affect atmospheric chemistry and DOES change climate/weather patterns, and MAJOR steps should be taken to reduce its usage."

Not what we want to hear but it has been Scientifically proven that we are heading up shit street. Major steps are needed to be taken to avoid the inevitable catastrophies that have been predicted.

Easier said than done as most people don't think of tomorrow.

The Shop

Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
7/18/2022 10:29am
JRT812 wrote:
I really don't know enough to vote. However, I do sometimes feel the weather is different, but then last year we actually had all the regular...
Check out what's happening in Europe now...weather-wise.
7/18/2022 10:51am
JRT812 wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
Check out what's happening in Europe now...weather-wise.
its nothing that hasn't happened with Co2 much lower....
lestat
7/18/2022 10:59am
JRT812 wrote:
Both things can be true at the same time . Climate change is real and some people with power are using it to profit personally from it . I support moving to sustainable energy but I also realize that the transition cannot happen over night . Simply shutting down the oil industry , like the enviro extremists want , is not a plan in itself . The other side of the coin is the climate change deniers who don’t believe any change is necessary . Caught between these two powerful extremists … I predict we will do nothing and ride this planet into dust and then move on to do the same in space . Our human civilization is all based on consuming resources … that hasn’t changed in tens of thousands of years and I don’t see it changing anytime soon . It is what it is but , future generations will not judge us kindly .
7/18/2022 11:06am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 11:07am
Im just going to start off by kicking this hornets nest...

We need more Co2, it is the life blood for living things on this planet, the foundation for life. It has a small warming effect on our climate but we may have reached a saturation point; and the amount from human involvement even smaller effect yet.

The climate is not doing anything unprecedented, and there is not extreme change going on.

At this moment we are in low sunspot activity which effects our jet stream pattern, causing warmer air to travel further from the equator, and cooler air from the poles to travel closer to the equator.

To sustain the amount of life(humans) on our planet we need more Co2. This will help green the planet, help crops grow with less dependence on harmful fertilizers we currently use to make up for the lack of Co2.

lower than about 200ppm plants start to struggle, below about 150ppm life dies off.

The real threat is global cooling.
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/18/2022 11:16am
This will help green the planet, help crops grow with less dependence on harmful fertilizers we currently use to make up for the lack of Co2.

This a take I wasn't expecting
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
7/18/2022 11:25am
early wrote:
[i]This will help green the planet, help crops grow with less dependence on harmful fertilizers we currently use to make up for the lack of Co2.[/i]...
This will help green the planet, help crops grow with less dependence on harmful fertilizers we currently use to make up for the lack of Co2.

The Global cooling theory has been Scientifically studied and debunked. I'm not going to argue with ol George but people should really do some due - diligence before jumping in the wagon. One can find reputable information by simply running a Google search.

The past few months it's really been cooling down in Cape Town...we are in middle of effing winter and I'm ducking off to bed now before my nuts turn blue.

Ps. One of my best mates believes the earth is flat and I bet he also believes in Global cooling..Whistling
APLMAN99
7/18/2022 11:26am
early wrote:
[i]This will help green the planet, help crops grow with less dependence on harmful fertilizers we currently use to make up for the lack of Co2.[/i]...

You shouldn't have expected it, because it isn't really true. However, increased CO2 does result in lower amounts of nutrients from the crops that are grown.

Think of it like water. We all need water, but there is a point where it is toxic. There will be a point when the CO2 level rises enough that we are not able to withstand the heat in many parts of the planet. The only question is how long it will take us to get there without some considerable change in our methods of producing energy and food.
7/18/2022 11:29am
early wrote:

Especially since carbon dioxide isn't nitrogen or phosphorus.
7/18/2022 11:35am
precipitation has been mostly above average the last 100 years... what happens if the next 50 are below average? would that be man made disaster, or the climate averaging out over the long term?

early
Fantasy
2212th
7/18/2022 11:36am
early wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
You shouldn't have expected it, because it isn't really true. However, increased CO2 does result in lower amounts of nutrients from the crops that are grown...
You shouldn't have expected it, because it isn't really true. However, increased CO2 does result in lower amounts of nutrients from the crops that are grown.

Think of it like water. We all need water, but there is a point where it is toxic. There will be a point when the CO2 level rises enough that we are not able to withstand the heat in many parts of the planet. The only question is how long it will take us to get there without some considerable change in our methods of producing energy and food.
I'm wondering which ingredients in fertilizer replaces CO2, generally it's N-P-K, maybe there's new fertilizer for new photosynthesis processes?
whyZ
7/18/2022 11:49am
Climate change like racism, the two most prevalent talking points for certain groups. Why, because there's no definitive end point to either topic. Probably never be a time when it is reported that there is no more recognized racism, that climate change has been upended. There's hardly even a collaborated effort or focused thought process to achieve any kind of zero sum resolve on either issue. And it's a way that certain groups like it.
lestat
7/18/2022 11:53am
Im just going to start off by kicking this hornets nest... We need more Co2, it is the life blood for living things on this planet...

We need more Co2, it is the life blood for living things on this planet, the foundation for life. It has a small warming effect on our climate but we may have reached a saturation point; and the amount from human involvement even smaller effect yet.

The climate is not doing anything unprecedented, and there is not extreme change going on.

At this moment we are in low sunspot activity which effects our jet stream pattern, causing warmer air to travel further from the equator, and cooler air from the poles to travel closer to the equator.

To sustain the amount of life(humans) on our planet we need more Co2. This will help green the planet, help crops grow with less dependence on harmful fertilizers we currently use to make up for the lack of Co2.

lower than about 200ppm plants start to struggle, below about 150ppm life dies off.

7/18/2022 12:00pm
early wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
You shouldn't have expected it, because it isn't really true. However, increased CO2 does result in lower amounts of nutrients from the crops that are grown...

early wrote:
I'm wondering which ingredients in fertilizer replaces CO2, generally it's N-P-K, maybe there's new fertilizer for new photosynthesis processes?
going from memory he is partially correct, and so am i... you have to get into the details and i could be remembering it wrong or only parts...

I think what was proven is that with higher Co2 the plants would grow better and larger(increased biomass), but without other nutrients added the % of nutrients per the size of plant went down, because the plants size increased more than the nutritional output.

But also more Co2 means less water needed to get them to grow.

i will dig into this... but, greenhouses dont pump Co2 into the greenhouse for nothing. And the earth is greening with the increase in Co2.

early
Fantasy
2212th
7/18/2022 12:05pm
whyZ wrote:
Climate change like racism, the two most prevalent talking points for certain groups. Why, because there's no definitive end point to either topic. Probably never be...
Climate change like racism, the two most prevalent talking points for certain groups. Why, because there's no definitive end point to either topic. Probably never be a time when it is reported that there is no more recognized racism, that climate change has been upended. There's hardly even a collaborated effort or focused thought process to achieve any kind of zero sum resolve on either issue. And it's a way that certain groups like it.
Weather's gonna weather. Fact us there's simply more people living in costal hurricane areas, desert areas and river flood zones than there was before. It doesn't matter what we do to stabilize the atmoshpere there's always going to be these weather phenomena.

Increased air temperatures could definitely increase the rate of the water cycle leading to more precip, but when and where that happens is functionally very important.

Regardless of what fossil fuels do, diversifying and decentralizing energy is likely to reduce other problems down the road not related to weather.
7/18/2022 12:06pm
Im just going to start off by kicking this hornets nest... We need more Co2, it is the life blood for living things on this planet...

lestat wrote:
1. the data used for that has been altered, it is not raw data simply comparing historical climate records to more current records.. you would think someone recorded thermometer readings consistently over the years, but this is not the case.

2. there were not many weather stations outside of the US before the early 1900s

3. life exploded on earth when Co2 was like a 10,000 ppm, yes the climate was warmer, but the planet did not burn off because of this extremely high Co2, in fact life thrived more than any other period.

i will address some of this when time permits.
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/18/2022 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 12:11pm
going from memory he is partially correct, and so am i... you have to get into the details and i could be remembering it wrong or...
going from memory he is partially correct, and so am i... you have to get into the details and i could be remembering it wrong or only parts...

I think what was proven is that with higher Co2 the plants would grow better and larger(increased biomass), but without other nutrients added the % of nutrients per the size of plant went down, because the plants size increased more than the nutritional output.

i will dig into this... but, greenhouses dont pump Co2 into the greenhouse for nothing. And the earth is greening with the increase in Co2.

CO2 is absorbed from the air, not the ground. CO2 is essential but not nearly the limiting factor in most plant growth on planet.

Edit: I don't think more CO2 means less water. Water provides the H for plants to make carbohydrates through photosynthesis.
Titan1
7/18/2022 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 12:10pm
Climate change is real...but it's not human caused....the Climate has been changing since the beginning of the earth...and it will change until we humans are wiped off the face of it...and then keep on changing after that.

Humans didn't cause the last ice age,and they didn't cause it to end...and we aren't causing it to warm up now...we are just along for the ride, until we aren't...And the earth will wipe us all out, and then keep on keeping on like its done for billions of years.

I see no point at all in crippling economies, impoverishing societies, and shackling businesses and individuals with regulations in the name of preventing something that has been going on since the beginning of the earth-climate change.

We ought to protect our air, our forests, our water in the name of having a nice place to live...not in a vain effort to save the planet and not at the expense of catastrophic economic consequences.

APLMAN99
7/18/2022 12:10pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

early wrote:
going from memory he is partially correct, and so am i... you have to get into the details and i could be remembering it wrong or...

Greenhouses pump CO2 in because there isn’t CO2 being produced naturally like out in the regular environment. Greenhouses are immensely dense with CO2 eating plants, MUCH more dense than out in the environment simply because they only have 12-15’ of height while the atmosphere is obviously much greater.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything saying that less water is needed with higher CO2 levels. It would seem like more water would be needed due to increased respiration. Especially with plants out in the atmosphere, where wind and heat increases evapotranspiration by large amounts.
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/18/2022 12:13pm
Titan1 wrote:
Climate change is real...but it's not human caused....the Climate has been changing since the beginning of the earth...and it will change until we humans are wiped...
Climate change is real...but it's not human caused....the Climate has been changing since the beginning of the earth...and it will change until we humans are wiped off the face of it...and then keep on changing after that.

Humans didn't cause the last ice age,and they didn't cause it to end...and we aren't causing it to warm up now...we are just along for the ride, until we aren't...And the earth will wipe us all out, and then keep on keeping on like its done for billions of years.

I see no point at all in crippling economies, impoverishing societies, and shackling businesses and individuals with regulations in the name of preventing something that has been going on since the beginning of the earth-climate change.

We ought to protect our air, our forests, our water in the name of having a nice place to live...not in a vain effort to save the planet and not at the expense of catastrophic economic consequences.

So you voted 1? No change in atmospheric chemistry?
7/18/2022 12:14pm

lestat wrote:
1. the data used for that has been altered, it is not raw data simply comparing historical climate records to more current records.. you would think...
1. the data used for that has been altered, it is not raw data simply comparing historical climate records to more current records.. you would think someone recorded thermometer readings consistently over the years, but this is not the case.

2. there were not many weather stations outside of the US before the early 1900s

3. life exploded on earth when Co2 was like a 10,000 ppm, yes the climate was warmer, but the planet did not burn off because of this extremely high Co2, in fact life thrived more than any other period.

this chart shows the adjusted average temperature minus the raw average recorded temperature, funny how its adjustments magically fit the curve on the chart you posted. the past has been cooled, and the present has been warmed..

lestat
7/18/2022 12:17pm

lestat wrote:
1. the data used for that has been altered, it is not raw data simply comparing historical climate records to more current records.. you would think...

The graph is co2 . It shows nothing about weather or temperature . Do you still stand by your statement that the problem is not enough co2 ?
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
7/18/2022 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 12:23pm
precipitation has been mostly above average the last 100 years... what happens if the next 50 are below average? would that be man made disaster, or...
precipitation has been mostly above average the last 100 years... what happens if the next 50 are below average? would that be man made disaster, or the climate averaging out over the long term?

George, lets converse respectfully.

I'm starting to think that when some folks hear the term "Global Warming" they think that presipitation is lessoning globally.

The fact is that due to global warming, precipitation patterns through the last 100 yrs are rapidly changing. Some parts of the world are seeing more precipitation than ever before while other parts are seeing less.

Here's the problem - global climate is heating up which effects rainfall patterns whilst evaporation increases... glaciers melt and sea levels rise. These factors are already affecting the availability of fresh water. More frequent and severe droughts and rising water temperatures are expected to cause a decrease in water quality. It's happening everyday.

George - Your Graph showing USA precipitation ending 2020 may well be spot on but elsewhere, countries are drying up.

We all know Vital has a bunch of amateur gynecologists but for now we could use a legitimately qualified Climatologist to educate and enlighten us.
7/18/2022 12:23pm
early wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
Greenhouses pump CO2 in because there isn’t CO2 being produced naturally like out in the regular environment. Greenhouses are immensely dense with CO2 eating plants, MUCH...
Greenhouses pump CO2 in because there isn’t CO2 being produced naturally like out in the regular environment. Greenhouses are immensely dense with CO2 eating plants, MUCH more dense than out in the environment simply because they only have 12-15’ of height while the atmosphere is obviously much greater.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything saying that less water is needed with higher CO2 levels. It would seem like more water would be needed due to increased respiration. Especially with plants out in the atmosphere, where wind and heat increases evapotranspiration by large amounts.
https://theconversation.com/rising-carbon-dioxide-is-making-the-worlds-…

Land plants are absorbing 17% more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere now than 30 years ago, our research published today shows. Equally extraordinarily, our study also shows that the vegetation is hardly using any extra water to do it, suggesting that global change is causing the world’s plants to grow in a more water-efficient way.

Water is the most precious resource needed for plants to grow, and our research suggests that vegetation is becoming much better at using it in a world in which CO₂ levels continue to rise.

The ratio of carbon uptake to water loss by ecosystems is what we call “water use efficiency”, and it is one of the most important variables when studying these ecosystems.

Our confirmation of a global trend of increasing water use efficiency is a rare piece of good news when it comes to the consequences of global environmental change. It will strengthen plants’ vital role as global carbon sinks, improve food production, and might boost water availability for the well-being of society and the natural world.
7/18/2022 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 12:34pm
precipitation has been mostly above average the last 100 years... what happens if the next 50 are below average? would that be man made disaster, or...

Boomslang wrote:
George, lets converse respectfully. I'm starting to think that when some folks hear the term "Global Warming" they think that presipitation is lessoning globally. The fact...
George, lets converse respectfully.

I'm starting to think that when some folks hear the term "Global Warming" they think that presipitation is lessoning globally.

The fact is that due to global warming, precipitation patterns through the last 100 yrs are rapidly changing. Some parts of the world are seeing more precipitation than ever before while other parts are seeing less.

Here's the problem - global climate is heating up which effects rainfall patterns whilst evaporation increases... glaciers melt and sea levels rise. These factors are already affecting the availability of fresh water. More frequent and severe droughts and rising water temperatures are expected to cause a decrease in water quality. It's happening everyday.

George - Your Graph showing USA precipitation ending 2020 may well be spot on but elsewhere, countries are drying up.

We all know Vital has a bunch of amateur gynecologists but for now we could use a legitimately qualified Climatologist to educate and enlighten us.
I would say that we have had periods like this in the past. I would also add that we might have overlooked human disruptions to the natural water patterns by how we divert water resources for human consumption. southern california a big one, the insanely huge dams and reservoirs built in china another example. ... not to mention humans intentionally trying to change the climate patterns to fit our needs.

another thing, we are also in a solar minimum, which drastically affects normal weather patterns because of how it changes the jet streams.

i can show you many examples of extreme heat and drought from the past if needed.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/chinas-three-gorges-dam-disa…

What is the impact of the Three Gorges Dam?
That biodiversity is threatened as the dam floods some habitats, reduces water flow to others, and alters weather patterns.

Post a reply to: Opinions on Fossil Fuels the Atmoshpere and the Weather

The Latest