Opinions on Building an AR (Firearms Question)

Harry_Gray
Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 2:42pm
Got a question for you all that are gun guys; I was looking online at those kits where you can build an AR. I don't consider myself a skilled wrench, but it looks like something that would be enjoyable. I could get parts little by little (when I could afford it) and build it the way I want. Any opinions out there???
|
JA946
8/17/2014 9:35am
Yes, you can.
Cygnus
8/17/2014 12:27pm
It gets confusing after a little bit of research. But only because of the many different was you can build. It would be a fun hobby if you can afford to buy all the cool stuff. I had some sites bookmarked in my old phone but it's dead and gone. Maybe some of the guys that have built a few will chime in and direct us to them again. Great way to build a weapon that the Gov. Doesn't know exists.
newmann
8/17/2014 12:48pm
Opinions? I have a few of those.Smile

Built quite a few AR's here lately and they can get quite addictive. What are you wanting to build and what are you going to be using it for? Want something long, short, slim, wide, light, heavy? Want something old school retro or modern looking? Iron sights, scope or high tech optics?

You can get some of the basic components quite cheap that are great quality where other components are going to get spendy to get good quality. Don't skimp on the trigger or the barrel.
Harry_Gray
8/17/2014 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 1:44pm
Cygnus; if you're referring to the 80% Lowers, I honestly don't feel comfortable trying to do any kind of machine work to finish them out. I know they come w/ jigs and template pieces in order to finish them, but don't feel comfortable enough in my abilities to tackle one at this point. I get where you're coming from though. Newmann; if I was to start buying stuff piece by piece (this will not be a quick process/lol), where would you start off first? I was thinking about buying a lower first, then as time passes buying more pieces as time (and money) allows. Any good idea on where to start? And to answer your other question Newmann, it's mainly for target shooting, but would like to venture into tactical shooting and go into that direction. I've heard of 3 gun (Shotgun/Tatical Rifle/Pistol) competitions and that sounds like something cool to get into. Hope that helps.

*Note: I know it'd probably be cheaper (and easier) to buy one and outfit it as I go along; but I'm starting to get back into shooting again and would like a challenge.

The Shop

Harry_Gray
8/17/2014 2:42pm
One more question: Are there companies I should pursue and/or avoid when looking for parts?

Post a reply to: Opinions on Building an AR (Firearms Question)

The Latest