Olympics in South Korea...parent needs help

huck
Edited Date/Time 2/5/2018 10:20am
Hey fellas,

I have a lady friend that has a daughter that has qualified for the Olympics in skiing. She also skiing in the 2014 Olympics in Russia. Her name is Jacqualine (Jackie) Wiles.
She skies for Lindsey Vonn's foundation and is a great kid. She actually just finished 3rd at a World Cup event, and was on the podium with Lindsey.

Jennifer (mom) was unable to go in 2014 when Jackie competed in Russia and has recently had surgery on her wrists, making it difficult to return back to massage therapy (she has a yoga/massage studio). There is a gofundme page to help her be able to go see her daughter ski in the Olympics in South Korea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.gofundme.com/jenniferjamesolympicwish

https://www.teamusa.org/us-ski-and-snowboard/athletes/Jacqueline-Wiles

https://www.facebook.com/usskiandsnowboard/videos/528561320876014/?hc_r…
|
Firefly47
1/25/2018 10:05am
My favorite olympian is Jessie Diggins.
huck
1/29/2018 6:12am
5560 already. She will get it. How much is a plane ticket to Seoul?
I'm not sure how much the ticket is. She worked with a travel organization to come up with the total amount. From what she told me, tickets to the opening ceremonies and such are pretty expensive too.

I'm not a big fan of asking people to pay for stuff like this, but since it's the Olympics, i figured I'd share.
Donovan759
1/30/2018 12:31pm
5560 already. She will get it. How much is a plane ticket to Seoul?
Its been a long time since I've gone, but our round trip was about 2800 a ticket.

The Shop

akillerwombat
1/30/2018 12:32pm
Crazy there isn't a fun to help athletes and their parents get to the games.
huck
1/31/2018 6:49am
Crazy there isn't a fun to help athletes and their parents get to the games.
There are a lot of things about the Olympics that is crazy. Most athletes struggle to get by and only can make it to the games through private sponsors.
newmann
1/31/2018 8:46am
What's really crazy is the leftover waste. Should be illegal to destroy so much land and lay down such a waste of materials and resources.

akillerwombat
1/31/2018 11:01am
newmann wrote:
What's really crazy is the leftover waste. Should be illegal to destroy so much land and lay down such a waste of materials and resources. [img]https://static1.businessinsider.com/image/55db8efe9dd7cc1e008b595c-1190-625/what-abandoned-olympic-venues-from-around-the-world-look-like-today.jpg[/img]...
What's really crazy is the leftover waste. Should be illegal to destroy so much land and lay down such a waste of materials and resources.

Pretty apt metaphor for humanity in general I suppose.
newmann
1/31/2018 1:24pm
Pretty apt metaphor for humanity in general I suppose.
JAFO92 wrote:
Yep.
Heck, out here in the wilds of Southeast Texas, little old me is responsible for cleaning up all the messes I make as well as the ones I inherit. That whole Olympic thing is a pretty big deal. You'd think there would be requirements in place for the facilities to be re-purposed. I would cancel them all until further notice. Clean that shit up and we'll talk...lol.
Firefly47
1/31/2018 2:02pm
newmann wrote:
Heck, out here in the wilds of Southeast Texas, little old me is responsible for cleaning up all the messes I make as well as the...
Heck, out here in the wilds of Southeast Texas, little old me is responsible for cleaning up all the messes I make as well as the ones I inherit. That whole Olympic thing is a pretty big deal. You'd think there would be requirements in place for the facilities to be re-purposed. I would cancel them all until further notice. Clean that shit up and we'll talk...lol.
Now you're soundin' like one of them there limp wristed tree hugging liburuls!
newmann
1/31/2018 3:05pm
Firefly47 wrote:
Now you're soundin' like one of them there limp wristed tree hugging liburuls!
Most of them that I know wait around for someone to come clean up their mess for them or just leave it where it is and move on. Kind of like those photos up above. Make a mess with other peoples money and move on to the next disaster.

Me, I always try to leave the place cleaner than when I arrived.Wink
lestat
2/1/2018 11:22am
Where were those photos taken ? Looks like Sarajevo . If it is , the war might have something to do with the state of the venues .
early
Fantasy
2212th
2/1/2018 12:49pm
Yes, where are those pics from?

I rode my bicycle to check the 1988 olympic stadium in Seoul when I was living there a few years ago. Seemed like the biggest facility of its type in that city/country but i could be wrong. The olympic system definitely needs an overhaul with how corrupt alot of it is. What happened to the facilities in Atlanta built for the 1996 games? Im sure Greece could have used the money spent on their facilities for other reasons at the time.

Round trip Pittsburgh to Incheon was about $3k 5 years ago.
MR. X
2/1/2018 1:48pm
My wife and i did the bobsled run in lake placid a couple years ago , after we were finished ,they let us just walk around the facility and check it out . The original bobsled track from the Olympics is still there in the woods and looks just like the one in the pictures above.
jj welks
2/1/2018 3:26pm
I've to placid as well and atleast that place seems to have preserved some of the old Olympic sites really well (ski towers and miracle on ice rink/etc)... I think the old Olympic village is now used as training grounds for up and comers
Prntscrn
2/1/2018 5:00pm
Firefly47 wrote:
My favorite olympian is Jessie Diggins.
10 days till Skiathlon. I'll be cheering for the Swedes obviously but besides them Diggins is one of my personal favorites for sure. Let's take asthma-nation(Norway) down! Evil

I also agree with the mess they leave behind sucks. That pic of the swimming pool is from the olympics in Rio 2016 right?
APLMAN99
2/2/2018 10:45am
This is the first Olympics that our local "kid" hasn't skied in for quite a long time. Torin Koos was on the past 4 Olympic teams, but it sounded like age, life, and responsibilities finally caught up and ended that run.
Uncle Tony
2/2/2018 10:49am
Prntscrn wrote:
10 days till Skiathlon. I'll be cheering for the Swedes obviously but besides them Diggins is one of my personal favorites for sure. Let's take asthma-nation(Norway)...
10 days till Skiathlon. I'll be cheering for the Swedes obviously but besides them Diggins is one of my personal favorites for sure. Let's take asthma-nation(Norway) down! Evil

I also agree with the mess they leave behind sucks. That pic of the swimming pool is from the olympics in Rio 2016 right?
I'm cheering for Norway, my daughter libes in skien
huck
2/5/2018 8:11am
Update...

They raised the money to get mom to the Olympics..however this past weekend at a World Cup Race, Jackie had a terrible crash and was airlifted off the slopes. broken tibia, horrendous ACL and MCL tear....

MelonFan123
2/5/2018 9:59am
this post reminded me of an episode of Real Sports that i saw the other day. This promo clip was all I could find but basically it's appalling how little help our athletes get in the form of financial assistance. The US Olympic Committee is a private institution with no real regulation. Around $250 million in annual revenue and only about 6% of that actually goes back to the athletes.

Huck - thats horrible about your friends daughter. All that hard work and now no Olympics. Hopefully she is young enough to come back and make a go in 2022?

https://youtu.be/SVu6xQanRpQ
huck
2/5/2018 10:20am
this post reminded me of an episode of Real Sports that i saw the other day. This promo clip was all I could find but basically...
this post reminded me of an episode of Real Sports that i saw the other day. This promo clip was all I could find but basically it's appalling how little help our athletes get in the form of financial assistance. The US Olympic Committee is a private institution with no real regulation. Around $250 million in annual revenue and only about 6% of that actually goes back to the athletes.

Huck - thats horrible about your friends daughter. All that hard work and now no Olympics. Hopefully she is young enough to come back and make a go in 2022?

https://youtu.be/SVu6xQanRpQ
She's 25 now...so in terms of Olympic skiers, it'll be tough in 2022. Unless your name is Lindsey Vonn.

Post a reply to: Olympics in South Korea...parent needs help

The Latest