Ok you fuggin' Aussies....

jtomasik
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2013 6:13am
...who's willing to sponsor me to emigrate to your country? Shopping for a place to 'retire' in the next 5-7 years, and Australia/New Zealand is up there on my list of gotta-check-it-outs.

Cool

Tell me about your country. Goods...bads....anything in between.
|
Racer92
3/11/2013 9:43am
The grass is always greener over the septic tank.
jtomasik
3/11/2013 9:45am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2013 9:46am
Racer92 wrote:
The grass is always greener over the septic tank.
Doesn't hurt to look....even if it means stepping in shit once in awhile... :-)
indy_maico
3/11/2013 11:22am
They have an assault weapon ban there.

How could you possibly live in such a liberty-hating country?

Cool
jtomasik
3/11/2013 11:43am
indy_maico wrote:
They have an assault weapon ban there.

How could you possibly live in such a liberty-hating country?

Cool
Some cultures have citizens adult enough to treat each other with respect. Aussies seem to do pretty well, with 1/4 the murder rate that we have. Until our general population gets that, I'll keep myself armed.

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/11/2013 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2013 1:01pm
for one, dont call New Zealanders Aussies, we don't like it very much,

NZ good points, wicked site seeing, plenty of moto tracks, surfing, skiing in winter, etc, not many people so everything is easier to get to, gun control is great, low violent crime rate, but some cities have thier bad parts, but nothing like the big cities of the world, we always score well on ease of doing business, tranparency and lack of corruption, we also are not allowed to sue each other, and there is a compulsary accident insurance scheme which covers all accidents regarless of fault covering all medical expenses, incl life flights etc, and will pay 80% of your income untill you are back at work full time, almost free health care with a private hosptial system if you want to pay for insurance as well (I dont)

Very good at Rugby, and you will need to learn the game if you come here, we like it a lot,

bad points, not many people so work/business oppurtunites can sometimes be limited, cost of living is quite high in some regards, esp with our currency being very high at the moment, not the best time to turn your US peso's into NZ dollers, some drug problems, very long way from the rest of the world,
kongols
3/11/2013 1:14pm
I doubt they gonna take you. With all that bitching you do about your own country imagine what you gonna say about foreign land.WhistlingEvilWinkCoolTongue
jtomasik
3/11/2013 2:33pm
scott_nz wrote:
for one, dont call New Zealanders Aussies, we don't like it very much, NZ good points, wicked site seeing, plenty of moto tracks, surfing, skiing in...

NZ good points, wicked site seeing, plenty of moto tracks, surfing, skiing in winter, etc, not many people so everything is easier to get to, gun control is great, low violent crime rate, but some cities have thier bad parts, but nothing like the big cities of the world, we always score well on ease of doing business, tranparency and lack of corruption, we also are not allowed to sue each other, and there is a compulsary accident insurance scheme which covers all accidents regarless of fault covering all medical expenses, incl life flights etc, and will pay 80% of your income untill you are back at work full time, almost free health care with a private hosptial system if you want to pay for insurance as well (I dont)

Very good at Rugby, and you will need to learn the game if you come here, we like it a lot,

bad points, not many people so work/business oppurtunites can sometimes be limited, cost of living is quite high in some regards, esp with our currency being very high at the moment, not the best time to turn your US peso's into NZ dollers, some drug problems, very long way from the rest of the world,
Thanks for your feedback!

Gotcha 'bout the Aussie/NZ thing. I wrote the title, but while writing the post I got to thinking about the good stuff I heard about NZ, so thought I'd throw it in there 'cause it's close to Australia.

I used to play semi-pro rugby when I was in college, so I'm familiar with the sport. I enjoyed playing it, but not watching it, strangely enough.

You said the cost of living is quite high. What do you consider 'expensive'? Housing? Food? Energy? What are your income taxes like?

US Peso....now that's some funny shit right there! I'm surprised our US dollar is worth anything.
jtomasik
3/11/2013 2:36pm
kongols wrote:
I doubt they gonna take you. With all that bitching you do about your own country imagine what you gonna say about foreign land.:whistle: :evil: ;)...
I doubt they gonna take you. With all that bitching you do about your own country imagine what you gonna say about foreign land.WhistlingEvilWinkCoolTongue
Nah. Unlike some people, I won't bitch about a place I have little to no experience with. Having traveled to the Orient quite a bit, I've discovered that my preconceptions often turned out to be misconceptions after I actually spent time in the country. That's why I asked about these countries, instead of stated things I've only heard or read about.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/11/2013 2:51pm
fuel, food, cothes are the big difference, and housing in some city areas are expensive, but outside the main centres you can get very nice land cheap, since we have a small economy and long freight times the price of everything imported can be expensive, although internet shopping from over seas has helped,

and the top income tax rate is 33%, it is teired and i think the top rate comes in at around 60K NZ, ($50 K US) company tax is 28%,

we have a sales tax of 15% (GST) and if you import goods over $400 you get charged this sales tax as well,

everything marked in shops is including GST and tipping is not part of our culture, (the plus sales tax plus tip takes a bit to get used to when we go to the US,
Rooster
3/11/2013 2:59pm
Watch out for the drop bears.

Sure they look all cute and cuddly, but they're viscous little creatures.
TerryK
3/11/2013 4:39pm
jtomasik wrote:
...who's willing to sponsor me to emigrate to your country? Shopping for a place to 'retire' in the next 5-7 years, and Australia/New Zealand is up...
...who's willing to sponsor me to emigrate to your country? Shopping for a place to 'retire' in the next 5-7 years, and Australia/New Zealand is up there on my list of gotta-check-it-outs.

Cool

Tell me about your country. Goods...bads....anything in between.
The Okanagan Vally in British Columbia Canada. Stamp it.
Choppy
3/11/2013 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2013 7:40pm
If you can't find the good here you won't there. Act like a badass, I'm leaving this country, they do it so much better in that place all you want. At the end of the day here will be your best option.

I'm willing to stamp money on it that you'll still be here in 5 to 7 years.
Spergen
3/11/2013 8:11pm
I know a few people that have moved to both OZ and NZ. From a Brits way of life NZ appears to be the one im hearing better stories about. But then again opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one !
Sully
3/11/2013 9:47pm
scott_nz wrote:
for one, dont call New Zealanders Aussies, we don't like it very much, NZ good points, wicked site seeing, plenty of moto tracks, surfing, skiing in...

You can always overcome the limited job opportunities by doing what my brother's best friend did...start a brewery!
PaleBlue
3/12/2013 1:37am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 1:38am
The only piece of advice I can give anyone changing countries, is live somewhere you positively want to be, not somewhere that isn't where you don't want to be. You won't find happiness if you move is based in negativity, it'll follow you. I saw plenty of this with my fellow ex-pats in the 'States, and Australia gets hordes of 'winging pommes' - they all end up going back even more unhappy after a couple of years of running away.

The world's a big and beautiful place and there are so many great places to live - none are perfect, so you need to chill and let the little things wash over you.
3/12/2013 2:04am
I'm damn sure its something I'd like to do also upon retirement,or even now if I could persuade the Mrs!

At the end of the day there's no place like home and never usually will be but freinds who have made the move to OZ certainly havn't regretted it
jamma10
3/12/2013 4:19am
You won't go far wrong if you chose to live somewhere on the Coromandel Peninsula in NZ.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
3/12/2013 4:37am

Shit can be expensive down here. But it's a pretty good place to live
jamma10
3/12/2013 5:01am
I loved living in Annoying Cunts for four months.
Stoop
Fantasy
767th
3/12/2013 7:00am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/03/12/1363079915026_481679.jpg[/img] Shit can be expensive down here. But it's a pretty good place to live

Shit can be expensive down here. But it's a pretty good place to live
yep, that pretty much sums it up
Bytor
3/12/2013 7:28am
I am looking at Costa Rica and doing dirt bike tours(rentals)from the beach to the jungle. The place has everything you could want. Prostitution is legal and they are working on limited drug legalization.
jtomasik
3/12/2013 7:39am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 7:40am
Choppy wrote:
If you can't find the good here you won't there. Act like a badass, I'm leaving this country, they do it so much better in that...
If you can't find the good here you won't there. Act like a badass, I'm leaving this country, they do it so much better in that place all you want. At the end of the day here will be your best option.

Maybe you're right about my leaving here, maybe not. It has nothing to do with my thinking I'm 'badass' (like your stupid comment suggests you think of yourself).

I've lived in Taiwan for several years (business related), and that's a serious consideration for me for the move, at this time. That's likely my fall-back if I don't uncover anything better. I'm open-minded, and I'm looking around. Many of the guys who I've worked for and made their money have moved out of the country to a variety of places. And, they enjoy it there. What's keeping me here now is getting my son through college. Otherwise, I'd be making the move sooner.

The American arrogance that this is the best place to live is laughable.
jtomasik
3/12/2013 7:44am
PaleBlue wrote:
The only piece of advice I can give anyone changing countries, is live somewhere you positively [i]want[/i] to be, not somewhere that isn't where you [i]don't...
The only piece of advice I can give anyone changing countries, is live somewhere you positively want to be, not somewhere that isn't where you don't want to be. You won't find happiness if you move is based in negativity, it'll follow you. I saw plenty of this with my fellow ex-pats in the 'States, and Australia gets hordes of 'winging pommes' - they all end up going back even more unhappy after a couple of years of running away.

The world's a big and beautiful place and there are so many great places to live - none are perfect, so you need to chill and let the little things wash over you.
"The only piece of advice I can give anyone changing countries, is live somewhere you positively want to be, not somewhere that isn't where you don't want to be..."

That's fantastic advice. I already experienced places I enjoyed very much, and I'll likely end up there unless I run across something better. I know there's a lot I haven't seen. The girlfriend and I are planning travel over the next 4 years to check the possibilities out.

We're looking for warm, affordable ocean-front living that has great fishing/boating/diving, low crime, a respectful culture, great foods, and good financials (taxes, etc.) for our situation.
brlatm
3/12/2013 12:44pm
jtomasik wrote:
Maybe you're right about my leaving here, maybe not. It has nothing to do with my thinking I'm 'badass' (like your stupid comment suggests you think...
Maybe you're right about my leaving here, maybe not. It has nothing to do with my thinking I'm 'badass' (like your stupid comment suggests you think of yourself).

I've lived in Taiwan for several years (business related), and that's a serious consideration for me for the move, at this time. That's likely my fall-back if I don't uncover anything better. I'm open-minded, and I'm looking around. Many of the guys who I've worked for and made their money have moved out of the country to a variety of places. And, they enjoy it there. What's keeping me here now is getting my son through college. Otherwise, I'd be making the move sooner.

This^^^^^^ I moved out of country this past year and while I still make my money in the US the quality of living my family is receiving is far greater than we experienced in the US. My healthcare costs are way lower, food is cheaper, insurance is cheaper. It's all in what you want out of life I guess an about sacrifices.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/12/2013 1:17pm
jamma10 wrote:
You won't go far wrong if you chose to live somewhere on the Coromandel Peninsula in NZ.
agreed, its close to heaven up there for sure, hot water beach and cooks beach are to of my favorite places in the world,

only 2 hours from auckland as well, and since they have made the bridge 2 lane it never takes that long,
jtomasik
3/12/2013 1:49pm
jamma10 wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
agreed, its close to heaven up there for sure, hot water beach and cooks beach are to of my favorite places in the world, only 2...
agreed, its close to heaven up there for sure, hot water beach and cooks beach are to of my favorite places in the world,

only 2 hours from auckland as well, and since they have made the bridge 2 lane it never takes that long,
What's the weather like year 'round? Looks pretty far south. I'm not terribly interested in winter weather anymore.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
3/12/2013 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 2:50pm
jamma10 wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
agreed, its close to heaven up there for sure, hot water beach and cooks beach are to of my favorite places in the world, only 2...

jtomasik wrote:
What's the weather like year 'round? Looks pretty far south. I'm not terribly interested in winter weather anymore.
in the north island we are coming to the end of summer now, a hot day is 30 degrees celcius, average day about 25, the sun burns down here so sun screen is a must, (no ozone layer and no polution)

winter we do not get snow, a cold night is maybe 0 degrees, witha frost on the ground in the morning, average high during winter is prob about 12-15 degrees, a really cold day will be 5 degrees, although there is mountains for skiing in both islands,

the lower south island will get snow to sea level occasionaly, but not often,

and you will have to get used to the metric system for everything ,cause that is all we use down here,
Choppy
3/12/2013 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 5:03pm
Choppy wrote:
If you can't find the good here you won't there. Act like a badass, I'm leaving this country, they do it so much better in that...

jtomasik wrote:
Maybe you're right about my leaving here, maybe not. It has nothing to do with my thinking I'm 'badass' (like your stupid comment suggests you think...

I've been in Sydney Australia for 5 months, had to be in places like Taiwan, and Indonesia for my job. What I've realized is living permenantly and vacationing/going for work are entirely different.

Women will divorce you for the same things over there as they will here.
Kids will act like they love you as long as your paying for things here as they will there.

What makes things any different there than here?

In 7 years I'm willing to bet 1(if you need to ask what number 1 is you don't have enough to bet) that you'll still be here acting like dumb only applies to America.

Being intelligent is great until your GF and yourself outsmart yourself.
Choppy
3/12/2013 5:35pm
I'll tell you the same thing my father said before he passed away.

If you can't afford to live in the nice parts of the Keys work harder. If you live in the nice part of the Keys and still complain, you'll complain anywhere you live.

My vacation home is in the Keys and I must say my dad was right.
jtomasik
3/13/2013 8:50am
Choppy wrote:
I've been in Sydney Australia for 5 months, had to be in places like Taiwan, and Indonesia for my job. What I've realized is living permenantly...
I've been in Sydney Australia for 5 months, had to be in places like Taiwan, and Indonesia for my job. What I've realized is living permenantly and vacationing/going for work are entirely different.

Women will divorce you for the same things over there as they will here.
Kids will act like they love you as long as your paying for things here as they will there.

What makes things any different there than here?

In 7 years I'm willing to bet 1(if you need to ask what number 1 is you don't have enough to bet) that you'll still be here acting like dumb only applies to America.

Being intelligent is great until your GF and yourself outsmart yourself.
Yes, I realize that visiting and living are two different things. Duh. But, if you want to consider going somewhere else, I'd think it's kinda smart to ask, visit, maybe buy a second place there, start being there part time, then make the move if you like it enough.

I lived in Taiwan for about 18 months. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Yeah, long term living is something different. But, then again, living there for 18 months and liking it better than living here says more than just a visit or vacation.

Do I think that there's some utopia? Nope. Not even close. But, I do know I enjoyed the Taiwanese culture far more than ours. Their family/kinship is fantastic. It's reflected in all aspects of their lives.

Your experience doesn't apply to everyone, especially your arrogance. Not everyone is like you, believe it or not. It's funny how you talk down to me about this, like I'm some know-nothing kid, when in actuality, you don't know squat about me. What you post proves that.

Post a reply to: Ok you fuggin' Aussies....

The Latest