Oakley Goggle help

Related:
Create New Tag

11/4/2019 1:28 PM

I’ve always had 100% goggles but the lenses scratch if they even are in the vicinity of dirt. I’ve heard that Oakley makes some decent lenses so I am considering a pair since it’s clearance time. Does anyone have any info or reviews they care to share? I don’t race but I I’ll typically run 1 tear off during a practice day to protect my lenses. So no real need for multiple tear offs.

|

11/4/2019 1:59 PM

I can only give input on the Airbrakes , but they are most definitely a great set of goggles.My first set was given to me by a sponsored rider ( new ) just for letting him go do some laps on my 125. I held off buying a set for a long time until I found a set for $90.00. And then my local shop ( Hillsboro motosports ) said they would match that price.....so I bought 3 more sets. I haven't had any scratches on the lens , but I always start off with 2 - 3 tear off's on. The best thing about the Airbrakes is the " field of view ". Also really cool that you can basically re-build them with separate parts. I can understand why they are kind of spendy , but dang.....nice goggles for sure.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

11/4/2019 2:11 PM

I now have 4 pairs of airbrakes and love them. I like the way the lenses come out. Super quick for cleaning, or switching to clear. I always run 2-3 tear offs on practice days to keep from getting scratches. Picked up 2 TLD ltd airbrakes for 90 each I think on rocky mountain. Can't go wrong! Cheers!

|

11/4/2019 2:47 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

I can only give input on the Airbrakes , but they are most definitely a great set of goggles.My first set was given to me by a sponsored rider ( new ) just for letting him go do some laps on my 125. I held off buying a set for a long time until I found a set for $90.00. And then my local shop ( Hillsboro motosports ) said they would match that price.....so I bought 3 more sets. I haven't had any scratches on the lens , but I always start off with 2 - 3 tear off's on. The best thing about the Airbrakes is the " field of view ". Also really cool that you can basically re-build them with separate parts. I can understand why they are kind of spendy , but dang.....nice goggles for sure.

2nd this all the way! Switched to Airbrakes from 100% about a year ago and my only regret is that i didn't switch sooner. Field of vision is amazing and they don't pinch my nose like most others. Pricey yes, but well worth it in my opinion....

|

11/4/2019 3:25 PM

100% Armega goggles are awesome, IMO

|

11/4/2019 3:55 PM

if you get oakleys get the prism lens, it's the best i've found.

|

11/4/2019 4:38 PM

I have a set of crowbars and I too run a tear off to protect the lens. I got them on sale. They are ok. They are great when riding, but of you get hit with a face full of roost they get dirt in them, at least with a Bell moto9. The tear offs are really thick too so the one time I rode with 4-5 tear offs it made a noticeable decrease in vision. I’d really like a set of laminate tear offs, but the model I have doesn’t have them.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

11/4/2019 4:45 PM

I run O-frames for practice. And Mayhems for race days. Love both pairs. Field of view is good and the seal is tight. Never have any dirt or dust come in. I run laminate tear offs on both with no vision issues.

I’ve tried some other brands but nothing fits me like Oakley’s.

|

11/4/2019 5:05 PM

Airbrakes all day!!! I have a few pair and love them. I also have the new 100%s and still like the airbrakes

|

11/4/2019 6:32 PM

Ran Hustles for a few years and then the Prospect. Got a set of the Airbrakes and love them. Lens clarity of the Prizm's is great, field of view is great, fit in my helmets good (Bell Flex and 6D) and the ease of lens removal is amazing. Besides the price the only downside I have found is that they like to fog when its really cold out, like bad! So now I reserve the Oakleys for warmer/summer time riding. I've returned to the old reliable Scotts for winter time.

I also have had the 100% Armega now for a few months. The first lense that came with them got a weird distortion to them after a few weeks, much like an old pane of glass distorts...anyways, replaced that, so far so good. The part I really don't like is removing the lens. There is a gasket that the lens sits on in the frame. When removing lens for cleaning the gasket most always partially comes off. A real pain to deal with when between motos.

|

11/4/2019 6:42 PM

kevinr wrote:

I’ve always had 100% goggles but the lenses scratch if they even are in the vicinity of dirt. I’ve heard that Oakley makes some decent lenses so I am considering a pair since it’s clearance time. Does anyone have any info or reviews they care to share? I don’t race but I I’ll typically run 1 tear off during a practice day to protect my lenses. So no real need for multiple tear offs.

I just switched to Oakley airbrakes from 100% goggles and I love the oakleys. No looking back for me. Find them on closeout. I got my airbrakes for $75

|

11/4/2019 7:53 PM

Airbrakes. Buy a pair.....and never look back.

Also, Oakley sells a protector that you can use instead of using a tear off.....

|

11/4/2019 8:10 PM

You gotta be smoking some good shit to pay $200 for goggles.

Just buy a touring helmet bro.

|

10' 200 XC-w
96' XR600r

11/5/2019 4:07 AM

Love my Airbrakes. All I wear now.

|

11/5/2019 4:15 AM

My experience with goggles in general is they scratch no matter what. Pick a pair you like and run at least one tearoff to protect the lens

|

11/5/2019 4:18 AM

All I wear are airbrakes and are they are awesome and the prizm thing is definitely something to consider.

If lense scratching is your main worry you can buy these plastic stick on protectors (just like a phone screen protector) for your airbrakes. When they scratch up (they take a lot to scratch) just peel it off and its like the first day you got it and put another on it.

|

11/5/2019 5:58 AM

basslips wrote:

Ran Hustles for a few years and then the Prospect. Got a set of the Airbrakes and love them. Lens clarity of the Prizm's is great, field of view is great, fit in my helmets good (Bell Flex and 6D) and the ease of lens removal is amazing. Besides the price the only downside I have found is that they like to fog when its really cold out, like bad! So now I reserve the Oakleys for warmer/summer time riding. I've returned to the old reliable Scotts for winter time.

I also have had the 100% Armega now for a few months. The first lense that came with them got a weird distortion to them after a few weeks, much like an old pane of glass distorts...anyways, replaced that, so far so good. The part I really don't like is removing the lens. There is a gasket that the lens sits on in the frame. When removing lens for cleaning the gasket most always partially comes off. A real pain to deal with when between motos.

With your Armegas I’d contact them about warrantying those out. I have a few pairs of them and never had the gasket come out at all.

|

11/5/2019 6:01 AM

Where are you guys finding these lens protector?

|

11/5/2019 6:08 AM

Ryguy125 wrote:

I had a google search for them. Seems like it’s obsolete on American stores. There’s a few Australian stores that have them available online. Have found them on Amazon

|

11/5/2019 7:56 AM

basslips wrote:

Spooner wrote:

With your Armegas I’d contact them about warrantying those out. I have a few pairs of them and never had the gasket come out at all.

It's all good. I don't like these goggles enough for fitment reasons to go through warranty. They are now my trail ride/practice goggles.

|

11/5/2019 9:00 AM

Thanks for all the tips. Looks like Airbrakes in my future. I need to find the protective cover for those because I can’t stand scratches in my lenses.

|

11/5/2019 10:10 AM

If you can't shell out the money for Airbrakes (which are awesome), crowbars are my second choice. Great fitting goggle, good foam, and durable lenses. Plus, at Motosport right now, you can get pairs for $29-$40, which is great. Not the biggest fan of the fit of the mayhem and proven goggles.

|

11/5/2019 10:24 AM

I'm slowly switching to them as well. Not buying a few at a time, but they are way better then 100% with their lenses. For Roll Off races I use the ProGrip goggles.

|

11/5/2019 11:38 AM

I love the fitment and easy of swapping lenses on the Airbrakes. However, I think the Prism lens is overhyped and the standard Oakley lenses are fine. Also, my straps are starting to look like fried bacon. I'm intrigued by the Oakley Front Line. It's a newer goggle with a thicker strap, larger lens, and at a premium price. Surprised more pros aren't running them.

|

Two wheels, tacos, and tubes

11/5/2019 12:03 PM

austin_bo wrote:

I love the fitment and easy of swapping lenses on the Airbrakes. However, I think the Prism lens is overhyped and the standard Oakley lenses are fine. Also, my straps are starting to look like fried bacon. I'm intrigued by the Oakley Front Line. It's a newer goggle with a thicker strap, larger lens, and at a premium price. Surprised more pros aren't running them.

All parts on the Oakley Airbrakes are replaceable. I just changed the worn out strap and face foam on mine for $35 and they are now as good as new. Way better than spending $100+ on a new set of goggles just because your strap is worn out.

Straps are 15-20$.
Face foam is 15$.

|

11/5/2019 1:39 PM

austin_bo wrote:

I have a goggle problem and have more Airbrakes than I'm proud to say, my girlfriend recently started riding but wears glasses so I got her two sets of frontlines that were on closeout. I recently tried them and the quality and fit of them is great except they are a little narrower than an Airbrake. Almost at the point of touching my eyes, fit well in her Large Fox V2 and my XL Fox V3. Only real con is it's almost a necessity to run the Oakley laminates which are perimeter seal, if you try to run normal tear offs it's guaranteed to get dirt behind tear off due to it being a frameless goggle I'd guess you say. Also must remove ugly nose guard and it will look five times better

|

11/5/2019 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/5/2019 1:50 PM

Ryguy125 wrote:

I got most of mine at Amazon. Forget where i got them before that, but they are not hard to find.

Edit: Amazon has a 2 pack for 15 bucks. Also be sure to type in "Airbrake MX" or you may get the snow Airbrake ones.

|

11/5/2019 2:07 PM

brycepdh wrote:

All I wear are airbrakes and are they are awesome and the prizm thing is definitely something to consider.

If lense scratching is your main worry you can buy these plastic stick on protectors (just like a phone screen protector) for your airbrakes. When they scratch up (they take a lot to scratch) just peel it off and its like the first day you got it and put another on it.

Are you talking about the anti fog system that comes with the googles when you buy them?

|

Instagram @ge217

11/5/2019 2:17 PM

ge217 wrote:

Are you talking about the anti fog system that comes with the googles when you buy them?

Not for antifog, for a while they came with a lens protector. No one was using them because it would reduce clarity and no longer come with them.

|

11/5/2019 5:56 PM

Went back to 35 dollar O frames. None of these new style high priced gimmicky goggles of ANY brand fit helmets, are far too damn big, and don't work as well.

When before did anyone complain about dirt it goggles? Never. Because they actually contacted your face and fit in the helmet.

And before you say they have better peripheral vision, stop looking at your gender and you'll see that small goggles are just as good.

I think the people who designed all these new goggles paint arm pit hair on canvas in their spare time.

|